Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

William Sherman

Thanks for the Pictures, Mr. Olson.

Postby William Sherman » Fri May 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20090603.htm
Dear Mr. Olson,

Just perused your photo gallery, especially the snaps of our dear host. Most poignant, especially those of Mr. & Mrs. Ellison. Tres bon.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Edward Brock

Harlan & Patton's B-Day Wish

Postby Edward Brock » Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Name: Edward Brock
Thank you, Josh, for posting the info on Harlan's birthday. I'm glad he had a good time.

And I can finally say that I was in the crowd for Patton Oswalt's concert & shout-out to Harlan (but Patton asked us to keep it a secret). I can relax now.

Kevin A.

Postby Kevin A. » Fri May 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Name: Kevin A.
Thanks for the two photographs, Josh. HE is looking quite dapper.

K.

Ben

Josh,

Postby Ben » Fri May 29, 2009 6:15 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell reading Dream Corridor? Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell readi -

My brain just exploded.

Jordan Owen

Dreams Wtih Sharp Teeth on Netflix

Postby Jordan Owen » Fri May 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Name: Jordan Owen
Can anyone tell me when the DWST DVD will be available on Netflix?

By the way HE- I still have a copy of the new Incarceri 9 album with your name on it (literally) if you want a copy.
-Jordan

Semi-Writer

Gobsmacked!

Postby Semi-Writer » Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
There's a photo suitable for framing--it appears that video was what so many strive to find/create yet seldom do... the perfect gift.

Only the best to Mr. Harlan Ellison!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri May 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Name: Steve Barber

DAVID RAY - D'oh! It was a long rough day. "I plead stupid your honor". Natch I meant you.

JOSH - Thank you for posting those shots. What a wonderful gift you and Patton gave him.

(I always wondered what Harlan's expression would be when he discovered APPLE computers.)

My folks are in town. Just had dinner with them at our favorite Mexican restaurant. I got good parents. Why they ended up with ME is the subject of considerable speculation however.

shagin

Postby shagin » Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 pm

Name: shagin
JOSH - The pictures do credit to the gift. Bravo!

STEVE - Because they raised a son as well mannered and thoughtful as themselves.

shagin

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Name: Steve Jarrett
JOSH,

You have indicated more than once that you feel fortunate to have a friend like Harlan, and I'm sure no one here would disagree. But I think it also needs to be said that Harlan is lucky to have a friend like you. From the great Parisian Impeca hunt to this extraordinary video gift, you have given many a smile to our beloved Unca Harlan, and for that we owe you a debt of gratitude. As they say downunder, good on ya, mate.

Steve J.

c. cooper

a dream combination

Postby c. cooper » Sat May 30, 2009 3:33 am

Name: c. cooper
JOSH:

Ahh...any intersection of the *Burn Notice* personalities and Harlan could only yield strange, fun and wonderful stuff... the idea of which makes the metaphorical mouth water. what a genius gift!

Adam-Troy

Coupla various

Postby Adam-Troy » Sat May 30, 2009 4:19 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
JOSH: ya done gude, man.

EVERYBODY: If you do go over to Aint-It-Cool News to read Harry Knowles's comments on DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH (part of his video roundup for the last week of May), do yourself a favor and avoid the talkback section, where a number of halfway respectable pro-Ellison comments are overwhelmed by the usual assortment of trolls who do things like trash him at length while bragging that they barely know who he is. (My "favorite" of the bunch: one who notes Harlan's age at his recent birthday and chortles uproariously.) While I do read Aint It Cool, I have avoided the Talkbacks for years, since realizing the kind of personality that predominates there, and I deeply regret succumbing to curiosity this time. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Clipping Service

Harlan get new Fan/Stalker!!

Postby Clipping Service » Sat May 30, 2009 5:00 am

Name: Clipping Service
"Dreams" inspires viewer maybe a litttle TOO much!

The lead:

"I saw Dreams With Sharp Teeth, the documentary about Harlan Ellison, two days ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. I must warn you, if you haven't seen it, that Harlan Ellison is one foul-mouthed, cranky old man. If that's not your thing, don't watch.

For me, I think I'm in love.

First of all, I've heard of Harlan Ellison, but haven't yet read any of his work. He recited some of it in the film, and now I have to go out and spend my rent money on all of his writings...."

The rest:

http://tinyurl.com/muqvx7

FinderDoug

Google Book Lawsuit Comment Period Extended

Postby FinderDoug » Sat May 30, 2009 5:09 am

Name: FinderDoug
To October 7, and the opt-out extended to September 4.

http://www.googlebooksettlement.com/

So Google, under the terms of this settlement with The Author's Guild in the Google Book lawsuit, gets to:

1) continue to digitize Books and Inserts
2) sell subscriptions to an electronic book database to institutions
3) sell online access to individual books
4) sell advertising on pages from Books
5) make other uses in the future (described as the potential for consumer subscriptions (similar in concept to the institutional subscriptions); print on demand Books; custom publishing (per-page pricing of content for course packets or other forms of custom publishing for the educational and professional markets); PDF downloads (consumers would be able to download a PDF version of a Book); and summaries, abstracts or compilations of Books.

And the copyright holder gets 63% of all revenues received from these uses.

Of course, being a new business model, no one in the settlement can really say yet how or when such payments would be made, or the slide rule by which they'll be calculated; and I don't see any obvious details on how Google proposes to be able to prove (via hit counts, page views, download or other web-specific stats) exactly how much a book has made under this model.

Bottom line is, if you've got a book published on or before January 5, 2009 and you hold the copyright for it, you've got a dog in this hunt; and unless you're sure you want Google as your silent partner in electronic distribution, you should take a gander at what the lawyers have cooked up and make your voice heard.

And in other notes, Neil Gaiman's reading of "The Graveyard Book" won Audies for Book of the Year and Children's Titles for Ages 8-12 last night. Huzzah!

Adam-Troy

Shit!

Postby Adam-Troy » Sat May 30, 2009 5:47 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Forgive the second post. I have just received word that my 79-year-old father has fallen down a flight of stairs, in his Greenwich CT home. Unlike my own tumble down an entire flight of stairs a couple of years back -- the day before the wife and I were two of the folks who got stuck in an elevator with Harlan -- this one resulted in physical injury: the old man has broken his clavicle. We are awaiting word on any lasting effects. Crossed fingers are appreciated.

Andrew Laubacher

A-TC

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Sat May 30, 2009 6:56 am

Name: Andrew Laubacher
Consider our fingers crossed over here.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”