Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Shane Shellenbarger

Rick: Thank you for the Wonders of Ellison Webderland

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Fri May 29, 2009 6:02 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
Source: unca20090603.htm
Yr. Pal,
Shane

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 29, 2009 7:02 am

Name: Frank Church
That was a rather dumb question: "why do you write so much?"

Why do I give out so much food? haha. Gotta love the media.

-------------

"Me and the geek." Don't you mean two geeks. Wink.

Jim Thomas

Postby Jim Thomas » Fri May 29, 2009 7:41 am

Name: Jim Thomas
Happy (belated) birthday, Harlan! Mine was just two days earlier.

For those of you who are interested, my review of DWST will be up at DVDVerdict.com sometime next week; a computer glitch kept it from being posted this week. It's a wonderful film; even my wife got interested, even though she hasn't read any of Harlan's stuff--though she's starting to read some now.

Harlan--you had mentioned wanting hard copies of the review for various archives. Should I just send them to the HERC address?

My wife is going to be out of town for the next two weeks, leaving me with the boys (ages 3 and 5). Pray for me. ;)

john zeock

doctor news and a goodbye

Postby john zeock » Fri May 29, 2009 8:52 am

Name: john zeock
New companion for new Doctor-Karen Gillan (The Fires Of Pompeii). The Noble family returns for the Tenth Doctor's finale. Gillian Anderson and Chris Eccleston currently doing A Doll's House at the West End./////And someone from 3 of my favorite movies-Jane Randolph, 94.

David Loftus

Wood(en) topic

Postby David Loftus » Fri May 29, 2009 9:03 am

Name: David Loftus
KOS:

I can't imagine the chances are very good, since the show is tonight. I would imagine the organizers might be interested in doing a reprise somewhere down the line (maybe this could become an annual event!), for the opportunity of a permanent record, but the logistics are going to be hellish in any case.

I passed your post up the line and will let you know if I hear anything.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLIES

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri May 29, 2009 9:11 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
JIM THOMAS and MICHAEL RAPOPORT followed by ALL THE REST OF Y'ALL:

Jim: Yes, by all means, send 'em to HERC. Trying to keep up with all of this jiggery-pokery now that DREAMS has hit the wider plateau, is akin to being the Head Wrangler at the marabunta incursion. So whatever you (or anyone else) can take down--with logos thereon to establish provenance--will be more than slavishly appreciated. Sent to HERC, is a golden thankyou.

Michael: I believe I've seen the card in question. And, again I believe, I let it pass only because I saw no "City" teaser on it. It may just be that they didn't include "City" on this blow-in come-on, because its potential value was unknown to them or...Paramount may have steered them away from a "City" presence because of the looming lawsuit. Send it if you feel like it, but if not...no harm, no foul.

The birthday went softly, as I wished it to go. Pals Patton Oswalt, Josh Olson, and J. Michael Straczynski (with Susan, Vanessa and Kathryn) hosted me at Lawry's The Prime Rib. Lovely evening, everyone smiling, good chatting, we got home about 8:30ish, and I had the first good night's sleep since Dr. John changed my medication and brought on the dreaded "dry mouth." I believe the universe could have cobbled up no more solid an omen for me at 75 than to have given me Dry Mouth. It is the universe's way of telling me to Shut The Fuck Up.

In the tally directly across from the abundantly cherished good wishes posted here by all of you.

The new short story is now at a third market since its creation, and we shall see what we shall see. I'll keep you in the loop.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Alejandro Riera

Jazzy heads-up

Postby Alejandro Riera » Fri May 29, 2009 9:51 am

Name: alejandro riera
Harlan, Barber and anybody who loves the genre: March 17 saw the release of Bebo and Chucho Valdes' album "Juntos para siempre," the first full length collaboration between father and son and their first together in a recording session since that beautiful moment in "Calle 54" when they shares the stage together. Haven't bought yet, it's on my "must acquire next" list but I wanted to give you guys and gals, twistoes and twistettes the heads-up. Any recording that unites these two piano giants must be worth its weight in gold.

Andrew Rogers

Dry mouth

Postby Andrew Rogers » Fri May 29, 2009 10:10 am

Name: Andrew Rogers
Harlan,

I'm not usually one to pimp products, but something that may ameliorate your dry mouth discomfort is a product called "Biotene". It's available in toothpaste, mouthwash, spray, gel, gum, and liquid forms. Your local Walgreens or CVS pharmacies should carry it.

They also have a website (through which, healthcare providers can obtain free samples); http://www.biotene.com/

Cheers,
Andrew

Jeff R.

For John Zeock:

Postby Jeff R. » Fri May 29, 2009 10:22 am

Name: Jeff R.
The three Jane Radolph films to which you referred are:
CAT PEOPLE
CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE CAT PEOPLE... er. MEET FRANKENSTEIN,
right?

By the way, John, have you heard anything about Steve Friedman recently?

john zeock

Postby john zeock » Fri May 29, 2009 11:01 am

Name: john zeock
To Jeff R. 1) Yes 2) he's in Paoli Hospital, long story, should be out today. JZ

AlexKrislov

Blood's a Rover

Postby AlexKrislov » Fri May 29, 2009 11:36 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Harlan -- first, a belated happy birthday. May you have dozens more!

Secondly, I'm at the BEA, and ran across mention of a new James Ellroy book called "Blood's a Rover." I know titles can't be copyrighted, but I found it unnerving, and thought I'd pass it on.

Be good!

Kate

Dry Mouth? Silence you? I don't think so!

Postby Kate » Fri May 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Name: Kate
The Universe might be challenging you, Mr. Ellison, but it will never tell you to shut up.

We may not say it often enough, but you know we treasure you. Even those of us who read, but seldom post. I hope you realize how much your stories have meant to so many of us.

It will be a long time before the Universe will wish to silence such an astute and compassionate and stringent observer of life.

Gosh, I hate suck-up posts, so I'm heading back to lurking. But once every great while, you have to tell someone that you think they are rather grand. Especially around their birthday. ...just in case, they don't realize how much we esteem them.

Mike Valerio

TO ALEX KRISLOV

Postby Mike Valerio » Fri May 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Name: Mike Valerio
James Elroy's crime novel BLOOD'S A ROVER is the final volume of his American Underworld Trilogy. The book's title is taken from the poem titled "Reveille" by the English scholar and poet A.E. Housman:

Clay lies still, but blood's a rover;

Breath's a ware that will not keep.

Up, lad; when the journey's over

There'll be time enough for sleep.

Great minds and all that

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Fri May 29, 2009 4:26 pm

Name: Josh Olson
I need to set up the pictures your about to see....

For Harlan's birthday, Patton and I put together a seven minute video that we presented to Harlan on DVD. After our little dinner, I pulled out my laptop, slapped some headphones on our pal, and showed it to him. And what it was was this -

A ridiculous bit of ad libbery with the two of us introducing clips of various and sundry notables wishing Harlan a happy birthday. This video will never end up on YouTube, so you'll just have to take my word that it was pretty spiffy. On the disc are the following:

First off, Patton recently shot an HBO special, and he got the entire crowd to wish Harlan a happy birthday.

Then we went to Walton Goggins, the brilliant actor who played Shane on The Shield, a show Harlan loved.

Then we went to my friend, the rockstar Otep (from the band of the same name, and who Harlan adores), then we went to

Are you sitting down?

Judge Judy.

Then we got Chris Pine, cos Harlan loves him some Star Trek.

And then we got the piece de resistance:

With the help of the wonderful Matt Nix, we got the cast of Harlan's favorite show, Burn Notice to do a little video in which Jeffrey Donovan does a quintessential Burn Notice monologue about the value of a good short story, and what a great spy Harlan would make, which ran over shots of him, Gabrielle Anwar and Bruce Campbell reading Dream Corridor. This concluded with Donovan revealing something about next season that will amuse you all when you see it, and which further knocked Ellison for a loop.

So if you go to the link below, you'll see two pictures. The first is Harlan reacting to the video, and the second is the stunned expression he had on his face for the next ten minutes, during which he didn't speak even once.

If you've ever wonder what a gobsmacked Ellison looks like, or Ellison with his mouth closed.... go here:

http://gallery.me.com/josholson#100229

Happy birthday, my friend. It is a privilege and a pleasure to know you.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Fri May 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Name: Josh Olson
Christ. The pictures YOU'RE about to see. YOU'RE.

It'd be lovely if this site had an edit feature...

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”