Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Dennis J.

Belated Wishes

Postby Dennis J. » Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 am

Name: Dennis J.
Source: unca20090603.htm
A belated happy birthday and best wishes to Mr. Ellison. I hope your day was a good one.

Robert Lloyd

Happy Birthday Harlan

Postby Robert Lloyd » Thu May 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Name: Robert Lloyd
Happy Birthday Harlan! Your the guy who inspired me to read books at a very young age. I questioned the world around me as a result of reading your stories.

Rick Keeney

what a sight

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Name: Keeney
ELLISON:

Someday I wanna stand on yer shoulders. Get it on, brutha.

Love and Rockets,
Rick

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm

Name: Steve Barber

"Tim Treadwell lives in the Alaskan wilderness watching an old jew rant at length..."

Yes, well, your mother evidently turned the TV off before the old jew killed and ate Mr. Treadwell.

Or was that...the Travel Channel?

I'm thrilled we've seen a couple of people peek in and say hello, saying they'd seen DWST on SUNDANCE and it encouraged them to know more about Unca H. I kind of envy that discovery process.

I am sad to report that my pictures of various and sundry Orca swimming in Puget Sound were ruined by poor focus. I made the error of putting the camera on autofocus without taking boat-motion into account. Yes, an amateur mistake. F*** me. Yeah, yeah, all they would have shown was a large black dorsal fin in the water, but still...

One more notch off our NO OPPORTUNITY WASTED list.

(Also got a chance to meet webderlander David Shane, which was cool exemplified.)

KOS

The Dog Ate My First Draft

Postby KOS » Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Name: KOS
Loftus: What are the chances of the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" project organizers/participants being interested in a filmed version of their performance, perhaps with "eixtra" features such as "behind the scenes" material/interviews with particpants? I know someone who might be interested in exploring such a project with "your" group.

This is very tentative, no guarantees it will go anywhere, but the interest is genuine and this is not some fan boy with a camera.

Should matters develop favorably, I will pass along any contact info.

There's likely no money in it, but it could be a dandy little film.

KOS

Shane Shellenbarger

Harlan: Now You've Done It!

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Thu May 28, 2009 3:15 pm

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
Congratulations on passing the 3/4 century mark and entering your 76th year! May you have many more healthy years.

Best,
Shane

"After 58 years you'd think writing would get easier. It doesn't. If you're lucky, you become harder to please. That's all right, it's still a pleasure." Elmore Leonard

Kevin A.

Postby Kevin A. » Thu May 28, 2009 3:31 pm

Name: Kevin A.
A day late: Happy Birthday, Vertical Man!

You continue to inspire. Always.

K.

Clipping Service

Encore Presentation this Weekend

Postby Clipping Service » Thu May 28, 2009 5:07 pm

Name: Clipping Service
of Harlan's NPR Studio 360 appearance!

Details, and a listen, here:

http://studio360.org/episodes/2009/05/29

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
I received my copy of Dreams With Sharp Teeth this week, the only problem was it was not from the company I ordered it from on Monday. I had preordered it from Amazon in April and totally forgot and ordered it again this week. It looks like a second copy is coming, if that happens I'll be back here and have it available. Holy buckets what a doofis.

Alisha Autumn

Happy (Belated) Birthday!

Postby Alisha Autumn » Thu May 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Name: Alisha Autumn
To my most dearly favourite author, a very very happy (and belated) birthday! I was absolutely delighted to find that my amazon.ca order of DWST shipped yesterday, on your birthday of all fine days! I hope you had a good one, and that you continue to have many more happy birthdays to come.

~Alisha

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Name: David Ray
Hey Steve Barber, in re to:
"(Also got a chance to meet webderlander David Shane, which was cool exemplified.)"
I assume you mean me. Wonderful to have met you and Cris

David "Shane" Ray

paul

Postby paul » Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Name: Paul
Tom M~ I only meant that even when one is part of a large company and/or corporation, our jobs can still be fragile and temporary. I blame the early hour for my nebulous and ineffable French. Glad you found the new job so quick.
-----

Thank you, Rick. That was nice.
-----

Thanx, ATC. In the parlance of my drunken gutter days, HARLAN MAN made me snort all loud and shit. That was great.
-----

DWST arrived today. This will be a nice movie to watch, so I hear. I only hope it's as good as the source material.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Thu May 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Name: Alex Jay Berman
HARLAN: A very very happy semisesquicentennial to you. And a HEALTHY one, dammit!

(This'll make you happy; sometime very shortly, I will be buying DWST to show to my lovely bride-to-be {the date of August 29th fast approaches}, and lead her down the pricklerose path toward corruption. I gots me some plans for that girl's mind, yup ...)

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
Harlan: I have a card advertising "The U.S.S. Enterprise Collection," a series of sculpted displays of scenes from you-know-which TV series. The ad promises a "handcrafted, hand-painted and meticulously detailed U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701" that "serves as the perfect table-top display for dramatic, fully-sculptural scenes from your favorite Star Trek episodes."

(I found the card several weeks ago as a magazine insert - I believe the magazine in which it came was Wizard, though I could be wrong - and I thought to myself, "Mmm. Maybe Harlan would be interested in this," and I set the card aside and of course promptly lost track of it till I found it tonight. The company behind the offer is Hawthorne Village, with an address listed in Niles, Illinois.)

The ad DOES NOT display or mention anything about "City on the Edge of Forever" - it has scenes from "The Trouble With Tribbles," "The Menagerie" and other episodes. However, I recall that recently you were very eager to have another Webderlander send you a flyer advertising some other Star Trek "collectibles," because you said it would help your lawsuit.

If you want this card, I'll be happy to drop it in an envelope and send it your way. Just let me know.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri May 29, 2009 3:41 am

Name: Chuck Messer
David,

Somewhere Ed Wood is smiling.

And Bela is still saying, "Fuck, you, Karloff!" and laughing.

Chuck

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”