Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Dad

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat May 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Source: unca20090603.htm
Progressive Supranuclear Palsy.
Progressive Supra Nuclear Palsy.

Progressive.
Supra.
Nuclear.
Palsy.

Thats what my dads got.

Progressive: it only gets worse.

Supranuclear: situated above the nuclei that control eye movement.

Palsy: weakness.

Dad cant drive anymore. My stepmom, Ellie, sold his car. He has to use a walker now. Hes a stubborn old coot, and you have to keep reminding him to use it. Hes had a number of falls, including one where he made a hole in the drywall with his head. Hes seventy-six years old, seventy-seven on the 28th. Hes aged about two decades in the last year, it seems.

It has also affected his cognitive abilities as well. His memory, his speech, at times. He told me how hes noticed his logical capabilities are nearly gone. He cant do the house finances anymore. Sometimes PSP can be mistaken for Alzheimers but it does cause dementia. Its rare, affecting about 20,000 people.

Ellie has to live with this every day. They deal with it as best as they can and I see him as often as I can with my goofy work schedule. I dont know how much longer Ill have with him.

Dad used to belong to Mensa. Now he has a hard time doing a crossword puzzle because he cant read his own writing. He used to rebuild computers as a hobby, including the one Im using right now. Its the last one he ever did. He still tinkers with them, as its about the only thing he can do with his hands, but the results are usually not good.

I just got back from a dinner at Dinos, where I saw a picture of Dino himself, smiling and standing erect at seventy-seven. Picture of health. Why cant that be Dad, too?

What a lousy, stinking, unfair, cruel goddamn thing to happen.

Yeah, those Acts of God, they really stick it in and break it off, dont they?

Chuck

P.S. -- Clipping, loved the joke. I needed that. It reminds me of a story Dad told me about a friend who was pulled over for speeding on the Jersey Turnpike (we lived back east in the mid 60's). The state trooper walked up to the driver's window and said, in his best joisey accent, "Where goest thou, oh winged one? To a conflagration, perhaps?"

Doc

Postby Doc » Sat May 02, 2009 7:48 pm

Name: Doc
Chuck: We appear to be fellow travelers. My heart goes out to you. If there's anything I can do, if you just need to talk, my email's just above. I mean it - I'm here.

Cheers,
Doc

Bernard J. Schaffer

Thanks

Postby Bernard J. Schaffer » Sat May 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Name: Bernard J. Schaffer
Harlan: I met you back in the mid-90's and foolishly told you I was a "writer too."

You asked me what I had published, and I had nothing to offer. I never forgot the wisdom in that little lesson, and just wanted to say that within the space of one week I've had a story published and another accepted for publication.

It wouldn't mean half as much if you'd just have said, "Wow, what do you write?" or something equally innocuous. On behalf of the probably million other people you've inspired through the years: Thanks bro.

Now that I've got two under my belt, I'm hungry for more. Hope all is well, sir.

paul

Chuck

Postby paul » Sat May 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Name: Paul
Words are weak in a time like this, but our thoughts will be with you and your family.
Courage.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope time has been a bit kinder to you as well, Doc.

shagin

Postby shagin » Sat May 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Name: shagin
BERNARD - I'll be shaking those pom-poms and urging you on. And as they demanded of me: what, where, and when?

CHUCK - My email is above if you need anything. Please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Sandra

Mike Valerio

FOR ADAM-TROY CASTRO

Postby Mike Valerio » Sat May 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Name: Mike Valerio

Looks like "Strange Wine" un-Swedes as "Remarkable Sap".

James P. Levy

For Adam-Troy Castro

Postby James P. Levy » Sun May 03, 2009 5:40 am

Name: James P. Levy
Dear Mr. Castro,

Loved your last post about the texter. Over the last few years I've tried, as a history professor, to insert visual materials into my classes, because I've been told ad infinitum that students today are "visual learners" and are so immmersed in this visual culture that they have trouble with linear materials like, oh, written texts. So I throw in a bit of a film, or a painting--and get nothing. They can't read it. We were doing an essay by Mike Davis on LA, so I showed them the paining "Angel Falls", and the kids couldn't tell me, in any coherent way, what they were looking at. It was astonishing. They pay 40 grand a year to go to college, and they can't describe a painting. I'm not talking about fitting the iconography together to tell me what the painting was about; I'm tallking inability to just read the visual space and describe it. Things are bad, and getting worse.

C. Cooper

Susan...

Postby C. Cooper » Sun May 03, 2009 5:51 am

Name: C. Cooper
lovely package received, thank you! Going shortly to PEN World Voices events again (they've expanded both their Haitian Lit and Graphic Novel tracks this year) and a nifty Pete Seeger tribute concert tonight...

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sun May 03, 2009 7:54 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
I also had a chance to see the new Star Trek film yesterday. I posted a full review in the Forums but I will say that I wish the producers would have ponied up the bucks to use the Guardian of Forever rather than the plot device they used for time travel. A minor quibble in an otherwise strong film.

Chuck, I am very sorry about your news. You are in my thoughts and prayers,

Mark

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 03, 2009 9:27 am

Name: Frank Church
James P. Levy, are you the historian who wrote that book defending "appeasement." That took guts man.

Do you agree with Gore Vidal that the US didn't have to fight ww2?

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 am

Name: Josh Olson
Absolutely loved the Trek movie. I won't say much, cos it would be wrong to spoil a second of it. I'll say this - the most innovative idea in the movie is casting someone who's actually a good actor as Kirk...

And not to poop on anyone's parade, but the time travel conceit would make no sense whatsoever if they HAD used the Guardian. It's accidental. That's all I'm sayin'.

I saw the flick with Patton Oswalt, and he's got some pretty funny comments about it, without spoiling it at all. He particularly nails the experience we had afterwards, with some hard core geeks who HATED the flick.

He did a podcast called I Love Movies, and it's free on iTunes. The pertinent bits start about ten minutes in, and the geek encounter is a few minutes later.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =281816774

Enjoy.

remarck

Heavens to fuckin' BETSY, people.

Postby remarck » Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Josh and Mark,

SAYING THERE IS TIME TRAVEL IN THE MOVIE IS A SPOILER.

Jeeze.

-Keith

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 03, 2009 11:57 am

Name: Steve Barber

I was surprised to read that Malcolm McDowell does reappear in the Trek film in a kaleidescopic egg-like time machine, frantically searching for someone named "Jack", fixating on Chancellor Gorkon as the aforementioned Dr. Stevenson.

But I may be confused.

Advance Notice: James Moran's episode of PRIMEVAL is set to run on BBC America May 23rd.

Semi-Writer

Collide-a-scope... then pick up the pieces...

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun May 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Steve: I was more baffled by the report that a hailing signal of "Na-noo-na-noo" is allegedly transmitted from said egg, actually.

William Sherman: The sport of kings, indeed. There are no words, sir, to express the moment properly... save for those wise words of John Belushi from "Animal House." HO-LY SHI-THA!

Harlan: You done good on the my-bad. Been there with an eBay sale recently, whereupon I sold two enormous fuzzy Spongebob Squarepants terrycloth pillow covers (don't ask, I didn't) to someone in New York. Turns out the auction cost equaled the mailing, which equaled a wash in terms of income. My bad, there, for not checking on shipping costs beforehand. But she was very pleased with her purchase. Just goes to show, there's no accounting for taste.

DTS

Semi's ultra-rude post

Postby DTS » Sun May 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Name: DTS
SEMI: Do _I_ pick on YOUR mom's taste in bed linen!?! I DO NOT!
So a little respect, woman.
-DTS

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”