Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

DTS

Sara's post -- and my last word

Postby DTS » Sat May 23, 2009 12:53 pm

Name: DTS
Source: unca20090603.htm
SARA: You missed the entire point of my post: by accepting the male-driven denigration of the word, _you_ allow it to take on the meaning they assigned it. In the same manner that women who buy into the "rules" of the bible allow themselves to be subserviant -- because the bible and those trustworthy males(who have no ulterior motives) tell them so. Email Shagin, she'll hip you to a book we both have (published in the 80s) that might shed a bit of light on the subject (the discussion, not the cunni).

And thats my last, um, word on the subject (promise).

Cheers,
DTS

DTS

damn -- a forgotten adendum for Sara

Postby DTS » Sat May 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Name: DTS
DAMN: meant to add this to the post below (I'll absent myself for a week, promise)
SARA: trust me in this: Fewer men refer to a woman (or think of a woman, in their own minds) when they are pissed off at her as a cunt. When men are gathered together and putting down women, bitch is often the word most used. When they want to put another man down, they call him a bitch -- as in someone to be used -- or a pussy (as in a hole to be used). Cunt is pulled out as shock term when all else fails. But when men want to speak of women in derogatory terms, they still weild the word bitch -- and it _still_ retains power (no matter how much women want to try and convince themselves otherwise). It's gained to much power -- from men, who persist in assigning all things feminine a station of weakness -- in the same manner that nigger did well (for similar reasons -- race and gender were used to strip humans of their power and their own humanity, making them something less in the eyes of those -- men -- who want to demean them).
-DTS

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat May 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON

Just to let y'all know: The New Yorker rejected my new story, "How interesting: A Tiny Man." Pretty much as I expected. ...and the beat goes on.

Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat May 23, 2009 1:23 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
TALLY: Your wife missed nothing. Part of the deal with the original producers--Hemdale--who settled with me very quickly when we showed them BOTH the "smoking guns" was they paid big on the first film, but I couldn't come against them on any subsequent Terminator films (if ever there should be such a thing). Hemdale is gone, others picked up the franchise, and I have no dog in these subsequent hunts.

Harlan

stevendooner

Gently offered and with no intention of rubbing salt:

Postby stevendooner » Sat May 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Name: Steve Dooner
4 Things that drive me crazy about the New Yorker:

1. I love Woody and Steve Martin both--that I do, but I have noticed they will publish a napkin that they may have sneezed into as long as they sign it.

2. John Updike, prose master that he was, could only get his exceptionally weak poetry printed in The New Yorker. No other serious poetry magazine would publish it.

3. The legend that was: Jay MacInerney

4. Whenever David Denby thinks he's a literary critic

And to be charitable, 4 things I love about The New Yorker:

1. Seymour Hersch
2. Seymour Hersch
3. Seymour Hersch
4. Seymour Hersch

Alan

For Harlan

Postby Alan » Sat May 23, 2009 2:40 pm

Name: alan
I'll be the first to send a e-mail to New Yorker stating my disappointment with their literary editorial choice of not publishing the story you sent.Maybe Vogue?

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 23, 2009 3:15 pm

Name: Diane Bartels
Happy belated birthday, Adam. I have not been back on the Internet since Tuesday, so hope you're day was a good one for you and Judy.
Hope everyone continues well and happy. I now have computer table which computer will go on. Then I just have to get siblings aplenty to help reorganize the front room, and I can call cable company to set up cable and Internet on my very own computer in my very own trailer. Then you can all e-mail my kitties, Hootie and Mandy-Oreo. Should you feel a longing to do so.
I'm off. Many friends have made this observation over the years. But in a slightly different context, je pense.
I agree with KOS. We need more silly people here, or else we need our people to be more silly.

Semi-Writer

New Yorker

Postby Semi-Writer » Sat May 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
The New Yorker probably had to reject Harlan's story based on the fact that they couldn't pry open the rusted, dented doors of their ancient facility far enough to submit it. Poor ol' institution has "dain bramage" when it comes to appreciating HE's creativity.

Gotta go to a funeral this week. Grandmother. And I already mourned her loss when she was alive, so there's no need to offer sympathy, condolences or free Arby's coupons; she's had a series of strokes over the years and was failing both physically and mentally for a while, plus she never wanted to live in a nursing home so at least she's out of that hellish environment. The REAL hell of this week will be the fractured family that I'll have to revisit. Name any mental illness, and I'm pretty sure that I can find someone in that bunch who can fit the bill. Here's hoping that I don't get shivved.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat May 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
The New Yorker passed on a brand-spanking-new Ellison story? I'm not sure what to make of that.

I'm absolutely starving for new material from Harlan, and I'm sorely disappointed the New Yorker didn't feel the same.

Harlan, one way or another, your tale will get its due. This isn't naive optimism; it's a mathematical certainty.

Robert Lloyd

Postby Robert Lloyd » Sat May 23, 2009 7:49 pm

Name: Robert Lloyd
Any chance of a sequel anthology to Medea:Harlan's World? I loved the illustrations by Kelly Freas. I especially liked the concept seminar included in the book.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun May 24, 2009 12:19 am

Name: Jan
I noticed about The New Yorker that they make the stories and all or most other content available online for nothing. Need I say more?

Rick has updated the forum software and a handful of good people have announced they will make more use of the great SPIDER facilities. As for specifics, Barber will be taking a closer look at Mind Fields, and Duane is interested in looking at Spider Kiss. We should have preliminary page counts, descriptions of the covers, and philosophical musings on the presence of black, letter-like dots on the inside by the end of next year.

tuttle300

Postby tuttle300 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:46 am

Name: franky4posts
Harlan
Please keep us informed when and where you DO sell the new story
I really enjoyed one of the latter ones, Incognito Inc. (about the man who makes maps being closed down by the corporation)
It was sold to one of the airlines for their inflight magazine as I recall

GOOD story that one!
I'm also looking forward to seeing Dreams With Sharp Teeth Monday

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 24, 2009 3:59 am

Name: Steve Barber
(Greetings from Bellevue. Washington, not the hospital.)

"The New Yorker rejected my new story"

Fools.

maggiehoyal

SHOCK...COLD RAGE

Postby maggiehoyal » Sun May 24, 2009 4:18 am

Name: maggie hoyal
I FOUND I HAD TO READ THE POST TWICE before it sank in. The New Yorker recieved a New Harlan story across there desk and rejected it. What kind of LOW LIFE IDIOTS are they. I tried to picture the mind that made that decision. I found myself at a loss. Of course I have not read this story but I have read Harlan in great depth and for many years as well as met him and heard him teach. The only conclusion I can come to is the New Yorker is run by petty minds who lack the where-with-all to recognize great writing when they see it. May they decend into the lowest realm of Writers hell never to be heard from again and rot there in the fumes of their own woefully inadicate minds. To strongly put? Not a chance! Sorry folks and I will only say this once for this post and all posts forthwith. The tiny gear in my brain that would handle spelling arrived defective off the factory floor. Yea, I already tried all methods of repair.The dictionary you say in a huff. Well lets take a second to comtemplate the simple use of the dictionary for a learning impaired person. Same Glich applies! One half hour to an hour easy on each word and that only goes for the words I can identify as spelled wrong. Most I don't.LIke a blind spot when you drive. I only take the time to detail this because I suspect there are others who post here with this same gluch, some who may be permanate lurkers because of it and demystify it for those of you that misspellings annoy. It is not neccessarily the sign of laziness or stupidity. It is what it is. KOS On the issue of silliness. Good idea! Back from and absence defined by THE GREAT BLUE-BLAS. Often a lurker seldom a poster but that is simply my nature. My husband and I have a very intense,humorous conversational life on all matter of topics that has ever deepened over 21 years. Perhaps that is why I am so often speechless here. However that may be This Site and the people on have come to mean a great deal to me.The topics, the alerts, the banter as well the deep meaning and thoughts conveyed nourish my life. Thanks all. maggie

shagin

Postby shagin » Sun May 24, 2009 5:27 am

Name: shagin
HARLAN: Your story will find a good home and when it does it will be eagerly devoured by appreciative readers. And try The New Yorker with the next story. And the next. And the next.

If any of you are not already familiar with Mark Tatulli's comic strip "Lio", get thee to a website or newspaper near you to check it out. Mr. Tatulli is the 2009 NCS Division Award Winner for Comic Strip, and there are two collections of the strip already out. Zack, you listening? Harlan, you too. Today's strip was great.

STEVE: Leave those damn whales alone!

shagin

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”