Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

KOS

Errata

Postby KOS » Thu May 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Name: KOS
Source: unca20090603.htm
Typo in recap. The time is from 2 (TWO) PM to 5 (FIVE) PM.

Thanks,

KOS

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri May 22, 2009 4:06 am

Name: Chuck Messer
"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me."

I've wanted to use that line ever since I heard it. Good ol' Brick Top.

Chuck

Dennis C

DWST Mention

Postby Dennis C » Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 am

Name: Dennis C
DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH listed in Entertainment Weekly's "What To Watch" television listings (Eminem on the cover). They don't list too many things, so that's a big deal...

TallyJohnson

Terminator news

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri May 22, 2009 5:06 am

Name: Tally
I have no idea if this is an issue since James Cameron wasn't involved, but my wife said that she did not see the acknowledgement to Harlan and his works in the credits of the newest Terminator movie. She MAY have missed it, and I'm not going to waste my ten bucks to verify, but I thought Harlan should be aware that if it was supposed to be noticeable, it wasn't.

Back the shadows and prepping for ConCarolinas next weekend.

paul

Postby paul » Fri May 22, 2009 5:18 am

Name: Paul
Tom Morgan~ Happy belated birthday, Tom! Plus a change, eh?

Brian P.~ In the language of my people, that was stone righteous, brother.

I haven't been next door to the BB in a while, and yet... I feel a disturbance in the force. Whatever Rick's done, I'm sure it's in our best interest and the greater good. Thanks for all you do, man. Hope you're feeling at peak.
Three cheers for Mr. Wyatt!! Hear, Hear!

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri May 22, 2009 5:33 am

Name: Ben Winfield
TALLY,

I absolutely refuse to blow my hard-earned cash on another TERMINATOR movie unless there's a scene where Harlan suddenly jumps out from the shadows and eats Christian Bale.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
A Boy and His Dog and Harlan specifically are referenced in a couple of places on this list of top Post-Apocalyptic Movies

http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/105235

DTS

Words -- closing arguments

Postby DTS » Sat May 23, 2009 2:08 am

Name: DTS
SHAGIN: Glad you liked my views -- off and online -- regarding one of my favorite words, and the twisting of worldviews via male-dominated relgions and societies.
CHUCK M: Sorry to see you're happy to perpetuate the problem. Ah, well.

Cheers, all.
-DTS

William Sherman

The Abrams Tank

Postby William Sherman » Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Saw "Star Trek" last night, finally.

Please allow one final kick into the putrefying corpse of that horse--like the one I recommended to this body last week-- representing criticism of all things within this esteemed Pavilion concerning that amusing movie and television franchise that has plagued our critical faculties for the last forty-three years.

To invoke a word our dear host used during an interview IN 1976, on Tom Snyder's "Tomorrow" show, regarding, ironically, a cinematic revival of the ORIGINAL "ST" franchise--"plus la change":

Mediocre.

For a true delight, today I travel to our local Thermopylae of sublime world cinema--The Brattle Theatre in Cambridge--for a Francois Truffaut double feature: "The 400 Blows", and "Stolen Kisses". After paying my respects to my grandfathers, of course. Then, off to our baseball Thermopylae--Fenway Park.

Mr. Ellison: for anything I might humbly contribute to the necessary euthanasia of Mr. Roddenberry's then-noble, but now-tired-seeming idea, do not hesitate to contact me.

As Churchill said of Lenin: "We must strangle the bolshevik menace in its cradle."

A peaceful Memorial Day weekend to all.

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Jerry

CSI

Postby Jerry » Sat May 23, 2009 5:19 am

Name: Jerry
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090523/ap_ ... si_lawsuit

Thoughts?

john zeock

Goodbye Lois Lane

Postby john zeock » Sat May 23, 2009 5:48 am

Name: john zeock
Joan Alexander, 94.

MichaelRapoport

A program note

Postby MichaelRapoport » Sat May 23, 2009 6:30 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
Public radio's "Studio 360" just promoed an interview with Harlan coming on their next show (airing the weekend of May 30 in most markets; check your local listings). Judging from the brief snippet of Harlan they aired in the promo - "If I were a plumber and I had fixed 10,000 toilets..." - I think it's just a rebroadcast of the interview they did with him last year. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong if anyone knows differently. Is this a new interview or a repeat? Harlan? Anyone?

Clipping Service

Is this a new interview or a repeat? Harlan? Anyone?

Postby Clipping Service » Sat May 23, 2009 8:22 am

Name: Clipping Service
Repeat.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sat May 23, 2009 9:17 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
No, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with Shagin and DTS. There are certain words that are used in a particularly vicious manner, and to my mind, cunt is one of them. It's a hard, ugly word, and I have never heard it used in any way other than to demean and denigrate. Cunt is a word designed to strip a woman down to what the user sees her as: a hole that should be filled. It's a word that may not have power over the person to whom it's being said, but it imbues in the user the feeling that if she can be called one, she can be treated like one.

There is no male-oriented term that equates in viciousness. Prick has been de-fanged, like bitch, and is used almost casually; bitch is even used affectionately. Neither of them has the negative power that cunt does.

I would love to see the word de-fanged, but, as with similar words like nigger, kike, spic, etc. I think we have a ways to go. I just don't use them, and have taught my children not to use them.

KOS

The Whole Ass Caalog

Postby KOS » Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 pm

Name: KOS
Whee Doggy, but sometimes you all just get to be so entertaining with your go-around's about Bad Movies and Bad Language.

Tje latest about those two words that dare not speak their name, I think y'all may've gone around about three times too awful about the barn. Is that expression even used Down Under?

The Umbrage and High Dudgeon fly so high and thick I can hardly see the sun that is Harlan Ellison on the horizon of the Pavilion.

We rarely have small portions of Righteous Self-Indignation here in the DIning Pavilion (I don't except myself, I am guilty guilty of it betimes), do we?

This is why I dedicate myself to, here on out to infinity and beyond, intentionally or no, being a semi-pure source of silliness when I sojourn hereabouts.

It's sorely needed , from time to time at times such as these times. Of course, that is by my semi-informed opinion. Not that we have any shortage of that around here.

Do we?

The above is, of course, semi-pure silliness.

Jimmy Crack Corn and I don't care.

Skip to my Lou, Bud.

You need not wash the Whole Ass, if you throughly cleanse the Ass Hole.

Feed Me, Jack!

KOS

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”