Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

john zeock

Darn!

Postby john zeock » Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Name: john zeock
Source: unca20090603.htm
Harlan-since I sent you the book now I can't impress anyone by telling them I HAD sex with you...John

Barney Dannelke

A quick Twain response

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu May 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan *** and others - I could easily write a chapter in a book nobody would read about this and I am heading out the door so without definitively answering this question ( at least until my 4 boxes of Twain biographies are out of storage) let me just say a few things.

A lot of the things said about Twain (and credited to Twain) regarding typewriters is just bullshit and wishful thinking.

Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Life On the Mississippi and virtually everything else Twain ever wrote was composed by Twain on notebook paper in longhand. Sometimes later in his career secretaries would type what he composed and he would re-read these proofs "in-house" and other variations on this I'm not going into now.

But please disabuse yourselves of the notion of Twain sitting behind a typewriter and "composing" any damn thing at all. The models he had access to were so prone to jams he would have littered the lawns of Hartford and New York and half of Europe with tons of broken typewriters. Twain had massive talent and he could compose on the fly and take notes in bed while smoking a cigar or a pipe and amusing his children all at the same time. But typewriters and Twain would not have mixed well. That stuff was done in another room and not by him.

Also when Twain would brag about "pages written" (he only usually coughed up word counts to Howells) he was talking about pages a little bit larger than a paperback cover in a decent sized hand with room for inter-linear notes. All of us could write "15 pages in a morning" once you've seen the pages. They'd be shite but we could match many of his daily word counts by the time he was a novelist. The journalist period word counts on the other hand are slightly staggering - but sporadic.

... crap ... gotta go. Perhaps to be continued.

- Barney

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Thu May 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Name: Cindy
Dr. Landsberg,
Stay safe and return smilin'. May the fire be out and the air be clear by the time you return.
:)
Cindy

Semi-Writer

Stan Lee Documentary

Postby Semi-Writer » Thu May 07, 2009 7:20 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Harlan, darling, I wouldn't have expected anything less from you. You're not just a member of the get-paid-or-get-lost policy, you're the president.

W. Powell

"Star Trek: The Cartoon" by Ward Sutton

Postby W. Powell » Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Name: W. Powell
http://www.villagevoice.com/slideshow/view/8433105

Mentioned solely because the intellectual property of a certain author is referenced in the last few panels. (Warning: this also contains copious amounts of William Shatner.)

Stefan

Postby Stefan » Thu May 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Name: Stefan
In the most recent issue (#249, June 2009) of GamePro, celebrating their 20th anniversary (no small feat for a video game magazine), I was pleasantly surprised to see a screen shot for I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream in their 10 page retrospective of video game history. A tip of the hat to the designers and all involved in the production.

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu May 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Name: Jan
Not to respond for Barney, but I got curious and looked for info on typewritten mansuscripts just now. The idea that Twain used a typewriter for Tom Sawyer in 1874 is prevalent over here too. Like Barney says, there is no evidence Twain composed a book on the typewriter he wanted to get rid of. Fanny Kemble is the other writer said to have used a typewriter, but no manuscripts of her books survive and no words from her to that effect - correct me if I'm wrong.

Nietzsche used one (the Hansen invention) in 1882 when he couldn't hold a pen, writing aphorisms and other short things. Later, when blind, he dictated, followed by Kafka, Hoffmansthal, Henry James et al. By the way, Doyle is supposed to be the first writer to mention typewritten letters in "A Case of Identity" (1889).

I think Harlan has asked one hell of a challenging question. The follow-up question would be who the first novelist was to use a word processor or computer.

Phil Nichols

Processors of Words

Postby Phil Nichols » Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Name: Phil Nichols
I would wager a tiny (very tiny) sum that the first novelist to use a word processor was Arthur C. Clarke. He was well known for his early adoption of email, electronic submission of manuscripts, etc.

Kevin Avery

Nice Touch

Postby Kevin Avery » Fri May 08, 2009 4:28 am

Name: Kevin Avery
The link on Roger Ebert's main page (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/) to his review of the new STAR TREK has a familiar ring to it:

"The franchise on the edge of forever."

Jim Thomas

O Frabjous Day!

Postby Jim Thomas » Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 am

Name: Jim Thomas
Yours truly will be reviewing "Dreams with Sharp Teeth" for DVD Verdict--the disc should arrive this weekend, and the review should be ready to go by the 5/26 street date, if not sooner.

Callooh, Callay!

Adam-Troy

DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH / Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri May 08, 2009 5:24 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
It turns out that I might be reviewing DREAMS as well, for Scifi wire, the same publication I pitched it to at some point before its theatrical release. (I might not, because while they knew of my prior association with Harlan, I felt it necessary due diligence to also apprise them of the work I did for Erik.)

I have nothing whatsoever to say about the STAR TREK movie as I have not seen it, but I recommend MAN ON WIRE, the documentary about Philippe Petit's high-wire waltz between the World Trade Centers. The work, which makes no reference to what happened to the buildings, not even as a closing crawl, functions as a caper film, as a portrait of a dynamic personality, and as what critics like to call -- but often in movies that don't merit it -- a soaring tribute to the human spirit. If this movie doesn't make you feel joyous, you need to think pharmaceutical.

Sittin' at home waiting for the charity to call to pick up the car I'm dumping. Not getting started on anything because, you know, I'm waiting.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

NOTE TO "DREAMS/TEETH" REVIEWERS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Please make sure you download me color copies (4 if possible) of the entire review, including the logo of the site, masthead, whatever ... to establish date, venue, provenance. For the BIG scrapbook, the DREAMS file, the Boston U. archive, and an extra, just in case. This will insure I don't miss anything, and will ultimately prevent my inability--as a 21st century guy who cannot download ANYfuckingTHINGapparently--from denying you YOUR rightful place in posterity.

Thank you all, in advance. Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

NOTE TO "DREAMS/TEETH" REVIEWERS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Please make sure you download me color copies (4 if possible) of the entire review, including the logo of the site, masthead, whatever ... to establish date, venue, provenance. For the BIG scrapbook, the DREAMS file, the Boston U. archive, and an extra, just in case. This will insure I don't miss anything, and will ultimately prevent my inability--as a 21st century guy who cannot download ANYfuckingTHINGapparently--from denying you YOUR rightful place in posterity.

Thank you all, in advance. Yr. Pal, Harlan

AlexKrislov

Ellison mention

Postby AlexKrislov » Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 am

Name: Alex Krislov
Harlan, you and David got a brief mention in an article about Jewish moments in the Star Trek canon. Thought you'd like to know. It's at http://blogs.jta.org/telegraph/article/ ... -boldly-go

john zeock

Jeff Morrow's wife

Postby john zeock » Fri May 08, 2009 6:47 am

Name: john zeock
Anna Karen

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”