Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Brian Phillips

Belated, but heartfelt...

Postby Brian Phillips » Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Name: Brian Phillips
Source: unca20090603.htm
I have been working quite a lot in one of the friendliest states in the union. So, to Steve Barber, happy birthday, and to Harlan Ellison, happy more days.

I would also like to say that while people here could not be friendlier, I am the only Black ANYTHING that I have seen in my travels. I just saw some Latinos three rooms down from me.

There is no Jazz on the radio.

There are no people of color on the newscasts.

I am legend.

Onyx in Mainefisto,
Brian Phillips

shagin

Postby shagin » Wed May 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Name: shagin
BRIAN PHILLIPS wrote: "Onyx in Mainefisto, Brian Phillips"

Your mother did not beat you *nearly* enough.

HARLAN: Checking in and noticed the health updates. Woot! I say, Woot!

SUSAN: And may the Wootage include even you and the hopes you're taking care of yourself as well.

shagin

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu May 07, 2009 12:02 am

Name: Jan
Harlan, you can be open with us about collecting Star Trek pins.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu May 07, 2009 3:30 am

Name: FinderDoug
Semester four (of five) of my masters program was put to bed yesterday. All over but the waiting for grades, about which Ive given up worrying. I now have a week to unwind and shift gears and do the filing and answer the mail and catch up everything that was not school or relationship related before Im off to Puerto Rico for a handful of days and some much needed R&R with my honey. Then summertime, where they tell me the livin will be easy. In the meantime

CHUCK: Theres one more if you need anything over here in your corner.

CINDY: Happy Belated. Theres a thirty day rule for these things, right?

SARA: The Mac can be your friend. Your high-end friend, but your friend none the less. And its never too late to go back. I take great pride in being the 40 Year Old Hoya. Weird at first, but I think that was the rust coming off the academic machine. Or it just may have been my hair falling out. We never did figure it out

JAN: When I stop looking for crap, Im leaving you the keys to the store. This could be next Tuesday.

STEVE: The shelves in my pitifully small living space already sag under the weight of more things than I will ever read, listen to or watch. That said, Id love to see a list, because you never know what youll find.

KEITH: Your proximity to the metro is very convenient. Lets meet in Clarendon later. Cheesecake Factory. Six-ish. I might be a few minutes late. Just wait there. Have a drink. Ill be along. *packs lock-pick tools* Does your place have a doorman? *slips blackjack into pocket* Security is important in an uncertain world, you know.

DR. LANDSBERG: Thank you for the updates on Harlans health, as well as the gentle advice on anecdotal medical circumstance reporting. And I tip my hat to the email addy. Somewhere between Doom and Savage, there is Doc Dire. Sweet.

HARLAN: The things you learn on the internet, huh?

shagin

Because Some Things Need To Be Shared

Postby shagin » Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 am

Name: shagin
Yesterday I was ordered out of my house with the understanding that hubby and I were not to return before 8PM. Something about an early Mother's Day present.

So, out I go. Library, ho! I managed a whole chunk of legwork for files, and a right smart bit of writing that left me in that odd headspace of sated yet craving more. It was a good day.

And then we made it home to find that our house had been invaded by house fairies in the form of two friends and our babysitter, and they cleaned the whole damn thing. Top to bottom, crooks and nannies I wasn't even aware were there. They even dusted!

All this because I've been sicker than a dog of late, too sick to write or even think about doing more than housekeeping necessities.

Friends are the folks who aren't afraid to go behind your back to help get you on your feet.

Sandra
(a very lucky woman in Bremerton)

BrianSiano

Good quote, and a question for Harlan

Postby BrianSiano » Thu May 07, 2009 4:51 am

Name: Brian Siano
David Simon, creator of _The Wire_, spoke to the senate about the future of newspapers. His statement is at http://commerce.senate.gov/public/_file ... nalism.pdf, but here's a wonderful quote:

"Yes, I have heard the postmodern rallying cry that information wants to be free. But information isn't. It costs money to send reporters to London, Fallujah and Capitol hill, and to send photographers with them, and to keep them there day after day, ... It costs money to do the finest kind of journalism. And how anybody can believe that the industry can fund that kind of expense by giving its product away online to aggregators and bloggers is a source of endless fascination for me."

Okay, now a question for Harlan, and it's about _Star Trek_. We all know the grief over "City," and the headaches of dealing with Roddenberry and Shatner and the crazy fans, and the current lawsuit, and the oceans of shitty _Trek_-related material, and a lot of the rest. But when you look at the way the show's become this major part of the culture, and the testimonials of people who say it inspired them, and the way that this show that you helped shape has kept going and going... well, do you ever let yourself feel some pride over it? Do you look at the recent _Newsweek_ cover story and think something like "I helped _build_ that?"

In the meantime, I'm going to take up a grape juice habit. It seems like _really good advice_ for a man of forty-six, let alone seventy-plus.

Clipping Service

"CITY" namechecked...

Postby Clipping Service » Thu May 07, 2009 5:05 am

Name: Clipping Service
...in NEWSWEEK "Trek" article....

"Some of the complaints about earlier versions of "Star Trek" have been that it got a little bit too utopian. Trek wasn't always that way. "The City on the Edge of Forever," from the original series' first season, has as an important plot point an alternate timeline in which an antiwar activist inadvertently helps Nazi Germany win World War II. It's also true that the original series was sometimes guilty of the vices it chastised."

Rest: http://tinyurl.com/dkha3w

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 07, 2009 5:25 am

Name: Ezra
Let us now praise famous authors who are still with us...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/ma ... l-moorcock

Barney Dannelke

Huckleberry Finn

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu May 07, 2009 5:39 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
Since my name came up regarding this and since I have, in the past been paid to run the points on this book I just wanted to say, without looking at it that it's not a 1st edition. Not a British 1st and not an American 1st.

I KNOW NOBODY SAID IT WAS. But before anybody spends hours thinking they have something of tremendous monetary value (its literary value being priceless) I just wanted to nip that in the bud. Huckleberry Finn was published originally in 1884/1885. It's complicated because while it was originally intended as an American 1st/1st the original 35,000 copies printed by Charles Webster had a defective plate (an illustration rendered obscene, probably as a printer's prank) that forced a rebinding and caused the American copies to be held back a few weeks. This meant the Canadian and British (less attractive) 1884 editions are the true 1st editions with the 1st American printings appearing the second week of February 1885. There is one known Charles Webster (American) presentation copy that predates the Canadian/British publication and some people (I'm guessing about 5 people in total) like to make the argument that therefore the American edition precedes the Canadian/British edition, but they are not winning that argument.

So, while 1891 is a somewhat early edition, six or seven years on it is nowhere near or a 1st printing or a 1st state or a 1st edition.

- Barney

ps. - Thinking about this made me check my facts on a bet I once made with Harlan in Atlanta. He was convinced that Twain had composed "at least some of" HUCKLEBERRY FINN on a typewriter and I bet "all of the money in my wallet against all of the money in your wallet" (I had about $35.00 on me and I was hoping Harlan was carrying his book sales on his person) that Twain had typed none of it. I was correct. Now that, as of 1991, we have both halves of the original manuscript we know he composed the entire thing with pen on note paper. A later edition, typed by someone else was the first typewritten manuscript delivered to a printer - that anyone has documented. But that's a different hurdle. What confuses the issue is that there is a photo taken somewhere of Twain behind a typewriter, there is a record of one of his secretaries owning one and, the last time I was there, a period typewriter was set up on the third floor of Twain's home in Hartford. The curators mean well but I can't see Twain allowing a typewriter in his billiard room any more than he would have allowed the device that bankrupted him to be stored in his basement or his telephone to be installed in his bathroom.

- B

Jeff R.

Grape Juice

Postby Jeff R. » Thu May 07, 2009 6:39 am

Name: Jeff R.
Used to love it as a kid. Haven't had it in years. I think I'll take it up again. I drink a LOT of V8 Vegetable Juice, and wonder if anyone here has any thoughts about it? There used to be something called Beefamato (half tomato juice/half beef bullion) that I enjoyed, but I haven't seen it for sale in quite some time. Last time I checked the Internet, it's still being made, but, well, they don't sell it in my neck of the woods.

stevehatton

United Kingdom

Postby stevehatton » Thu May 07, 2009 7:14 am

Name: Steve Hatton
Jonathan Carroll tweeted this they are very cool, worrth a look http://paintalicious.org/2008/11/20/tho ... hotography

Jordan Owen

I HAVE BEEN CALLED A WRITER!!!!

Postby Jordan Owen » Thu May 07, 2009 7:25 am

Name: Jordan Owen
I was house cleaning the other day (all the while thinking of Jeff Foxworthy's line "If you've ever mowed your grass and found a car, you might be a redneck...") and I found a large enveloped from Writer's Digest that I'd apparently received some time ago and never opened. It turns out that a one act play I wrote called "The Unwilling Participants" won Honorable Mention in the 76th annual Writer's Digest Awards for that category.

I stand tall on mount Olympus, prepared to take my seat in the Pantheon of Literary Gods alongside Tennessee Williams, David Mamet and Sam Shepard...

KOS

Of Typpewriters And Steam Boats

Postby KOS » Thu May 07, 2009 8:32 am

Name: KOS
Thanks Barney!

I did a little reading myself last night on the publishing history of Huckleberry Finn, but your explication in a paragraph summed up what I found, and more.

I can get a VG+ British True First for $4500 and a VG+ American First for $8500.

Then some guy on eBay has an Good American First for $1500?

I deal in collectibles, of various categories, have done so for nearly yeat 'n years, so I do know how variable prices can be. It's how I make money, in part how, anyway. "Buy Low, Sell High!"

Susan says she will gladly sell you the book, Harlan. Not sure what price, which is why I was looking to see what its fair price is, so she can then give you a "Friendly Great Author Discount" (Pat. Pend.) It's actually Susan's book, which is why I referred the matter to her. We're partners, but then again, sometimes it is well to defer to the partner that opened the box and had "dibs".

It;s the Law, after all, "I called it!"

"You're honor, she -did- call "dibs" on the books."

Maybe Dannelke can help us out in this regard, meaning price?

Condition: The book's cover is quite faded/rubbed, so that the cover art and title are hard to read. The covers are still solidly attached to one another, and to the spine of the book. The first two or three pages have come loose from the binding, but could, to my amateur book loving eye, be repaired with some archival quality book tape. The other pages are still in the sewn signatures, and though a bit loose (the book shows signs of having been well read, which I find actually more interesting than a pristine copy, since I love the idea of someone loving a book that much, but I am weird) seem still to well attached. The text (I did not look at every page, just a representative sample by going through the volume for a few minutes) is fairly clear and readable, with some age showing in the paper, mostly a slight overcast to the paper and some "brittleness" to the touch, but the pages are whole, no major tears, notches or other problems appeared to my casual perusal.

Ditto for spots, stains or any hand writing on the pages (other than a penciled note on a flyleaf, probably from when the book was given to someone, though I cannot make out what it says).

I did find one bookseller online that had a copy of this edition in what the ad termed "unfortunate condition", which seemed perhaps a little worse, but roughly the same (it had a lot of loose pages, but was otherwise comparable to the condition of ours) and summed up as a "reading copy", priced at $25.

Barney, what do you think? To be clear, we never thought the book was rare or extraordinarily valuable, even if in pristine condition, no worries on that point.

Thanks again, Michael Mayhew. My Susan, who has her M.A. in Drama, occasionally teaches at Community Colleges, and has suggested several times I attempt to become a "contract instructor" at same in either history, or screenwriting (which I have done in other venues). I have a friend with an M.A. in Ancient History who has done that, in another state, but I don't know if someone with a B.A. (though it IS in History, and from a pretty good school in UC Irvine) would be "qualified". Argh, Doorkeepers!.

Tim Powers has taught at the University of Redlands with "just" a B.A. in English, but then again he taught Novel Writing, and he is an award winning novelist...

I ought to take out a shitload of loans and do a Jack Williamson, pick up a Piled Higher and Deeper and then become the Campus Crank, wearing loud Hawaiian shirts, with Tijuana Neckties, running people down in my golf cart as I race from one lecture hall to another. The above all in Ugg boots with Bermuda shorts

If I then were to be shot while clasped in the ecstatically fulfilled arms of a busty blonde cheerleader, by the jealous, lovesick captain of the football team, well, I might consider that a fitting exit to THAT daydream. I might.

KOS

John M. Landsberg, M.D.

never yell "fire" in a crowded blog

Postby John M. Landsberg, M.D. » Thu May 07, 2009 9:46 am

Name: John M. Landsberg, M.D.
Friends... I note someone raised a point about the fire in Santa Barbara. It's bad, but not the worst ever. This morning in the staging area I saw more firefighting equipment ready to go than I thought might be found in the entire western hemisphere; it was jaw-droppingly impressive, and I am very reassured. Right now, just before noon, the good guys definitely seem to have the upper hand. I think, since this is the fourth major fire we've had in less than a year, the powers that be are responding with all possible force.

It's been crazy around here for a couple of days, though, and will continue to be so for a few more. So forgive my not being too responsive. And in any case, I will be out of town through the weekend... a long-planned escape coming at an opportune time.

And despite the numerous, severe, and important issues afflicting our beloved HE, he nevertheless called me last night to offer any help I might need in response to the fire. Is it any wonder I consider him the mensch of all mensches?

Semi-Writer

Postby Semi-Writer » Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Seems there's a Stan Lee documentary in the works: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tf ... 60867.html

And if you look closely at the ad, after such a long, detailed explanation... they're pulling the "free DVD copy and credit" bullshit. No pay. Talk about lousy.

It's almost as bad as the whole "internship" job postings. Oh, great. So does that mean I can go back to college again, then get a job in the fields that I'm ALREADY skilled in and have experience with, just to work for someone in Hollywood for free?!? Yea, sign me up! Whoo hoo, what a break! Lucky for me, I didn't just skip that fabulous offer!

(I believe the choice word here is "cocksuckers," is it not?)

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”