Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

DAVID RAY !!!!!! YO !!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed May 06, 2009 10:38 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20090603.htm
Please don't throw away that invitation to buy the series of STAR TREK (1st Series) pins!!!!! PUH-leeeeez get it to me with all attachments, if it isn't imposing on your good offices.

This is a marketing scheme, latest in Paramount's devising, that speaks directly to my lawsuit against Paramount-CBS for failure to provide WGAw-accredited royalties. I've never heard of Willabee & Ward ... but what you received yesterday is VITALLY IMPORTANT to me and our pursuit of recompense.

PLEASE, PLEASE find a way to get it to me physically. Ask Rick or Steve or Carol Cooper or Bob Morales or...

Hell, hal the regulars here know my address. Or get my phone number and call me, I'll give you the contact info and ... of course ... I will repay any cost to doing this.

Ohboy!!! You cannot know what your idle post has done for my week! Yippie-ki-yay, muthuhfugguh!

Yr. Pal, expectantly, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

DAVID RAY !!!!!! YO !!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 am

Please don't throw away that invitation to buy the series of STAR TREK (1st Series) pins!!!!! PUH-leeeeez get it to me with all attachments, if it isn't imposing on your good offices.

This is a marketing scheme, latest in Paramount's devising, that speaks directly to my lawsuit against Paramount-CBS for failure to provide WGAw-accredited royalties. I've never heard of Willabee & Ward ... but what you received yesterday is VITALLY IMPORTANT to me and our pursuit of recompense.

PLEASE, PLEASE find a way to get it to me physically. Ask Rick or Steve or Carol Cooper or Bob Morales or...

Hell, hal the regulars here know my address. Or get my phone number and call me, I'll give you the contact info and ... of course ... I will repay any cost to doing this.

Ohboy!!! You cannot know what your idle post has done for my week! Yippie-ki-yay, muthuhfugguh!

Yr. Pal, expectantly, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

KOS KOS KOS KOS YO! KOS!!!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 am

Hey, Kim:

If you were to sell that Huck Finn, what would it cost me?

Oh, yeah, as I said the night we clutched claws, I've got another box of new books for you to sell. Soon.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Dennis C

Trek review spoof

Postby Dennis C » Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Name: Dennis C
Kind of funny spoof of Trek reviews by Trek fans, courtesy of The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... _trek_film

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

2 miniscule FINGER MISPLACEMENTS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed May 06, 2009 12:24 pm

That would be "hell, HALF the regulars here..." not "hal."

and

"I will repay any cost FOR doing this," not "to doing this."

Mon tres tres embarassemente magnifique!

Or

The moving finger writes...just not very goddam well, is all.

Senor Ellison

john zeock

Orson

Postby john zeock » Wed May 06, 2009 1:18 pm

Name: john zeock
Happy Wellesday to one and all.As much as I love and adnire Orson and all his work I've always felt he miscalculated by following Kane with Ambersons. While the Hearst machinations certainly helped to hold down Kane's box office , the fact that it was also a downbeat film didn't help. To follow that with something that in its complete form may have been the bleakest movie ever made was not the most commercial move possible. Not to say he shouldn't have made it but a third film, not a second film. War of The Worlds would have been a good choice-he was famous for it already and he had Willis O'Brien at RKO.And he was no stranger to the commercial. His first radio show was Dracula, after all. Still, I did love everything he did.

John M. Landsberg, M.D.

The Magic of Reservatrol

Postby John M. Landsberg, M.D. » Wed May 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Name: John M. Landsberg, M.D.
Ben Winfield cautiously suggests taking reservatrol. Very good suggestion, Ben, and no worries about its deleterious effects, either; it's actually pretty well known, seems to be quite safe, functions primarily as an antioxidant (translation: GOOD), might help prevent certain cancers, and prolongs the life of fruit flies.

Now, if it could only be shown to prolong the life of gadflies... ;)

I've had Harlan emphasizing grape products (amongst other beneficial comestibles) for some time now. He drinks a lot of concentrated grape juice, which is probably a better source of reservatrol than any designed reservatrol product, given that it includes other good stuff, tastes yummy, and is much more entertaining than one more pill.

Michael Mayhew

KOS

Postby Michael Mayhew » Wed May 06, 2009 2:26 pm

Name: Michael Mayhew
Kim, no sarcasm on my part. When I was a college lad, I always liked the professors who were enthusiastic, could back up their arguments with some research, and opinionated - even if I totally disagreed with their opinions. You seem like that type to me. I almost always enjoy your posts, even when you're doing your best to demolish an idea I hold dear.

Regarding Chamberlain, I didn't actually have many opinions, but I do think I pretty much bought into the received wisdom. It was a good brain stretch to reconsider those ideas.

Keep it up, I say.

MM

MichaelRapoport

Various and sundry

Postby MichaelRapoport » Wed May 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
Ben Winfield: From what I understand, resveratrol is the substance in red wine that provides the health benefits believed to stem from moderate wine consumption, according to some studies. I am no medical expert, however, and I would urge anyone here to investigate the matter fully before taking resveratrol.

Mike Jacka: I talk to auditors periodically (I'm a journalist who often writes about accounting topics), and I was a guest just yesterday at a luncheon of the New York State Society of CPAs, so I can attest that there are many, many auditors who are not humor-impaired. Though, truthfully, I wouldn't really blame them if they were - accounting is important, but having to think all day about stuff like "noncontrolling interests" or "qualifying special-purpose entities" is not guaranteed to foster wild heights of hilarity.

Steve Barber: I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be interested in having you post that list of comics, magazines, etc.

MichaelRapoport

Addendum

Postby MichaelRapoport » Wed May 06, 2009 2:41 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
I posted without seeing Dr. Landsberg's comments, and of course I would bow to his knowledge and expertise.

And when I suggested red wine specifically as a source for resveratrol, I had forgotten that our esteemed host does not drink alcohol. Stupid me - should have remembered that in this forum of all places.

(Yeah, I know, second post. I'll stay out of here at least till Friday or so.)

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Name: David Ray
Harlan, the flyer is small enough for 6" x 9" envelope. OK to send it to the HERC address? If not, can Rick or whoever please e-mail with Harlan's address? Thank you and I'm glad that I was able to make your week!

David

Alisha Autumn Brown

Notes to SUSAN and HARLAN

Postby Alisha Autumn Brown » Wed May 06, 2009 4:24 pm

Name: Alisha Autumn Brown
SUSAN:
I received my delightful package in the mail on Friday of last week and have been away from the pavilion for some time, so a belated THANK YOU for the package. I'm glad you liked the stamps :) The arrangement regarding Kadak works perfectly! Thank you for your flexibility - I haven't seen one of the old Canadian $10 bills in quite some time. If/when you do happen to get Kadak back in stock, please post a note on the board and I would be happy to order it.

HARLAN:
Congratulations on the good news about your bones - and a special thanks to Harlan's Doc for the update. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to sign and personalize the items that I ordered. I appreciate your time and your kind words. Just one little thing - the next time that I place an order, could you please make sure that my name is spelled correctly? On 3 out of the 4 items that were personalized, my name was spelled Alicia, rather than Alisha. It's not a huge deal, and honestly, it makes me grin just to think that you even touched the same book as me. People spell my name all kinds of ways, and I shouldn't be surprised when it happens, I just thought that for next time, it would be nice to have it spelled right.

Best to all!
~Alisha

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLIES

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed May 06, 2009 5:30 pm

1. Alisha: Put the misspelled ones in an envelope, send them back to me, and I'll correct your name, and reimburse you the postage cost.

2. David Ray: Either way, whichever is more convenient for you. If no one gets to you e.mailwise, before you can send it easily and expeditiously, then send it to HERC with a big red excalamation mark on it. Either way, thank you.

Harlan

steveperry

are you ok?

Postby steveperry » Wed May 06, 2009 6:18 pm

Name: Stephen
I am glad to hear that none of our friends in southern California are saying anything about the wildfires I am hearing so much about on the news. Does this mean casa Barber is safe? And that our beloved host is truly unconcerned about it? Either way, good to know you are all safe and sound.

and yes, it does amuse me that we seem to have a plethora of people named Steve around these parts. and even more so that at least 2 of us have the same family name as well.

CUBS 6, Astros 3 - good night, sweet dreams, all is right with the world.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Wed May 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Name: Cindy
Steve Barber!
Happy Dad's and bride's day, champ.
:)
Yer pal,
Cindy

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”