Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Brian Phillips

Thanks and the New Yorker

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon May 25, 2009 3:01 am

Name: Brian Phillips
Source: unca20090603.htm
Thank you to everyone that posted such nice and interesting responses to my post. Should you wish to read it with some unfortunate tense changes and typos removed, Mark Palko suggested that I post it on his blog (which is good reading in general), which I did.

http://daddywhatsarepublican.blogspot.com/

It's also been expanded slightly.

Also, to add to the many voices, I am also disappointed that the New Yorker didn't publish Harlan Ellison's story. I don't read it much and it's not because of a lack of quality, it's just that when I do, I read a bit of the magazine and then I see all that New York has, I get nostalgic for Rockland County and it just gets me down.

Then again, the 13.75% sales tax I am not paying on food makes me feel a tad better.

Brian Phillips

Adam-Troy

On The Road

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon May 25, 2009 6:00 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
On the road, traveling, where access to internet is limited; will not be much evident here for a while. Two things: one, a happy birthday to Harlan, and two, while I am disappointed that THE NEW YORKER will not be taking his story, I find any bile expended in their direction for making that decision silly and clueless in the extreme. It's what magazines do, folks. More often to some of us than to others. Be healthy and well, everybody.

Clipping Service

Entertainment Weekly

Postby Clipping Service » Mon May 25, 2009 7:50 am

Name: Clipping Service
really likes "Dreams":

http://tinyurl.com/rxonm4

THIS trout, on the other hand....

http://tinyurl.com/ov4kba

C. Cooper

Postby C. Cooper » Mon May 25, 2009 8:56 am

Name: C. Cooper
Ditto what Jack S. said, and what ATC said. Bravo, gentlemen.

And Dear Harlan....thinking fondly of you and Susan celebrating however you think best the happy Day Which Shall Not be Named. :-)

CC

K. M. Kirby

Memorial Day Weekend

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon May 25, 2009 9:37 am

Name: K. M. Kirby
After three days at a huge local game convention (run by the Sikhs) that's diverted much of my government "stimulus" check into BART rides to SFO, the question arose (as a possible topic for a web forum post here): other than Babylon 5, why no other non-electronic, map or ref-based game with a setting that draws from one or more of those literary creations featured at this fine website, here?

TimCase

Harlan and The New Yorker

Postby TimCase » Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 am

Name: Tim Case Walker
I love Harlan's work. I'm also a regular reader of The New Yorker, which introduced me to the work of the brilliant Jhumpa Lahiri. It's a shame these two couldn't get together, but that fact diminishes each one's brilliance not one iota.

I can't wait to see "Dreams..." on Sundance tonight. I've emailed friends to let them know that if they have the Sundance Channel, they should check it out. You should, too.

Flying monkeys, working for the Greater Good.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Mon May 25, 2009 11:26 am

Name: Cindy
Damn,damn and DAMN.
The title gill-hooked me, and now-- all I can think about is how much I wanted to read "How Interesting: A Tiny Man."

Sincerely SIGHING,
Cindy

Dolores Quintana

Q & A Video

Postby Dolores Quintana » Mon May 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Name: Dolores Quintana
I finally got around to putting up my video of the Q & A for Dreams With Sharp Teeth yesterday on YouTube. Anyone have an interest in seeing it? Is this an appropriate place to link it? Did someone else post it? Did I totally miss the boat? How long would Dick Cheney stand up to water boarding? What's my name? Why am I here?

Anyone?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon May 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Name: FInderDoug
Is there nothing, NOTHING, on TV tonight?

But seriously...

HARLAN - I look forward to "How Interesting: A Tiny Man" wherever it may find a home; and I suspect it will find one before anything I've got in the pipe comes off the press. (Side note: you're already on the list of People What Get Consideration When My Copies Come In all the solids you've done for me in our time? With bells on their front covers or end-papers, your copies will arrive. Fuggetaboutit.)

Oh, and in the event I manage to forget tomorrow, since I get to wrap myself around the axle preparing for this week's quarterly Sales meeting (and also while I'm in the neighborhood), Happy (Early) Womb Expulsion Day.

I do have a question about work habits (yeah, I know as gifts go, I could have done better than ASK OF YOU): as I've been sifting through projects and starts and ideas on my desk, now that my semester has quieted and I can do some grinding with the keyboard, I'm curious how YOU decide what to pick up and work when you're not under a specific deadline. Is it driven by the current 'hot' idea or inspiration where you can simmer away; is there a methodology whereby you revisit works in progress to see which one is ready to continue; or is it more workman-like: taking the next concept on the pile (whatever it is), sitting down, cracking your knuckles and banging away?

I know how my muse likes to dance, and I've already got my working list of fun things to do and make, but I'm still interested how you select the next thing to roll into the carriage.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Mon May 25, 2009 3:41 pm

Name: JohnEWilliams
From the second review link posted below:

"When Ellison gripes about what was done to a screenplay, we dont hear the other side."

"I wish Nelson had taken off the rose-colored glasses for a moment and called Ellison on it. He should demand the author explain himself, and remember his own rants against movie and TV studios that he claims have bought his scripts and never used them."

Why, why, WHY? What the fuck is this, in review after review of DREAMS: demands for equal time and hearing 'the other side', Nelson should've done this and why didn't Harlan say that and shit like "he railsmaybe rightly soagainst Cameron for stealing ideas" (MAYBE rightly so? MAYBE?) and on and on and on, from every douchey half-assed dink who pans the film. I don't fuckin' get it. Do these same reviewers piss and moan and make the same demands when 60 Minutes does a profile of Bruce Springsteen or Lena Horne or Stephen King? I am betting eleventy million dollars they do not.

I could just be stupid, but I saw the film myself and what I think it's about is this guy, this author, who has made a name for himself and has created an amazing body of work and here's what he's about and here's what he thinks and here's what he's got to say and you can see why some people love him and why some people think he's a pain in the ass. The end. I am not sure I needed DREAMS to do anything more for me than that, but perhaps it is I who am the dink.

BrianSiano

Finally watching _DWST_

Postby BrianSiano » Mon May 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Name: Brian Siano
Harlan, you tell a story that you've also written up, about a time when the kids ganged up on you, ang your mom asked you "What did you do to make them angry?"

I know you probably get this a lot... but I had a couple of very, very similar events with other kids and my mom.

Amazing how that shit stays with us all.

Robert S Frideaux

Inspiration

Postby Robert S Frideaux » Mon May 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Name: Robert S Frideaux
I recently watched a program on the Sundance Channel about your work Mr. Ellison I was not moved but slammed out the door that locked my imagination.

I have always been my own worst critic and have failed to believe in myself as a writer. Raised by self employed ceramists and painters I grew up in a liberal world. As a child I was extremely hyperactive and told would not function in society. My parents were told by many so called professionals that I should have been put in a institution. That was something that I believe crippled me as an artist. I was scarred of my own ideas. I grew up in an abusive home in my early childhood and the harsh reality of that life did not allow anything to be forbidden for me and my imagination.

Seeing a brief overture of your life as a writer and your obstacles gave me the hope and inspiration to just write. Being yourself and living a life less ordinary is something I have always tried to do. Having stood out from the crowd all my life I believe has helped me grow as an individual but sometimes would cause me problems with others reinforcing my insecurity.

Being yourself should never be an obstacle. Dreams with sharp teeth opened my eyes, my heart and imagination back to writing.
As a fellow atheist, Something I strongly believe is, Religion is man's greatest irresponsibility. Lunacy is not a basis for hope or revelation.

Thank you again for being a inspriration for me. You will be seeing my work soon.
Robert Santos Frideaux

William Sherman

Happy Birthday, Mr. Ellison

Postby William Sherman » Mon May 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison:

Occasionally, isomnia has its benefits.

Ergo, allow me to be the first today to wish you a Happy Semisesquicentennial, with many happy returns.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

The Perils of Insomnia

Postby William Sherman » Mon May 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison:

Just can't hit that "n" key this a.m. to spell "insomnia".

Alles gute zum Geburtstag, Felices Cumpleanos, Joyeaux Anniversaire, etc.

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

W. Powell

Oh lordy lord, it's that day again.

Postby W. Powell » Mon May 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Name: W. Powell
I still say he's gonna bury all of us.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”