Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

john zeock

Morrow

Postby john zeock » Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 am

Name: john zeock
Source: unca20090603.htm
Here's something WAY out of left field. I was doing some research on Jeff Morrow for a short story and in 1968 he appeared in an episode of Judd For The Defense written by James M. Miller entitled, " Everyone Loved Harlan But His Wife. " It's just not that often you see the name Harlan in a title. (I can think of the western novel, Drag Harlan, but that's about it...)

The Dreaded Slaymaker

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Thu May 07, 2009 10:54 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
Brian: Welcome to New England! Here in Vermont we are slightly more diverse, but not much - I think there are maybe 2 black families and 2 latino families in our town of Stowe, and it's fairly cosmopolitan compared to the surrounding area, which is bone deep farmland. Still, it is a wonderful place to live. You should come see!

I have not used my Mac yet. We're getting acquainted. Slowly. BUT I am a bona fide student now, with a student ID and everything! So now I can get the Adobe Creative Suite (which I need for my first class) for about $1000 less than I could before. WOOT! as Sandra would say.

Susan: I have a proposition for you and Harlan (please, put the stick down - it's not THAT kind of proposition!) and will send it to you via snail mail if you prefer, but email is faster. If you are comfortable with the idea, could you send me your email address?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 am

Name: Steve Barber

BARNEY - I was intrigued with your comments about the relative value of the HUCKLEBERRY FINN book. I agree that the book isn't a first edition, and that it may be that it was published a very long seven years later.

But what intrigues me about an edition that old is that it reflects a copy of a book in an era where they probably had not yet arrived at the revelation that we would still be reading it in the far-off world of 2009 -- and secondly that the original reader of the copy has a connection to us in a rather profound way. Here we sit, 117 years later, discussing the book that person sat reading in their living room or den or on the front stoop as the Mississippi lazily rolled by on some warm Sunday afternoon.

I have a copy of THE FAMILY MARK TWAIN, which is a four-book collection published some time in the 1940s if memory serves (I'm at the office, so can't readily look). It's the connection those books have to my father's childhood that most intrigues me...

Speaking of collections, I will post the first set of garage things sometime this weekend. The first round will be digest SF magazines, of which 60% are first issues (Including the first issues of The Magazine of Fantasy -- later F&SF; Galaxy; and IASFM).

Books and comics to follow.

STEPHEN PERRY - The fires are burning in the Santa Barbara area. Dr. Landsberg is probably the only poster who is in striking distance. I live, luckily, in Long Beach, which doesn't have a whole lot of green -- well, "brown" -- hillsides to burn.

I passed along everyone's birthday greetings to Cris and she blushed fetchingly. Thank you.

BRIAN - Enjoy yourself in that foreign land called New England. Society will await your return.

SARA - Harlan, as has been noted, does not have an email address. Send via the Postal Service. Do it quickly, the Post Office ain't in that good shape these days.

Lastly, I have invented a new acronym. It has to do with the GOP tendency to openly reject and deride anything.

"REPUBLICANS OPPOSING VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING"

"R.O.V.E."

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Name: Rob
Star Trek...The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action. Like so many franchises, its more concerned with repeating a successful formula than going boldly where no Star Trek has gone before."

- Roger Ebert

Exactamundo!

This is one of Roger's exemplary moments as a wordsmith. I could not possibly find a better way to phrase the very problem I've had with the ENTIRE Trek movie-and-series-spinoffs franchise, the new entry included!

Dumbing down this material ad nauseum may not be a problem for some of YOU guys, but it sends ME to the toilet a gushin' me eatinz!

steveperry

Names and TV Games

Postby steveperry » Thu May 07, 2009 2:27 pm

Name: Steve Perry
Another Steve Perry. Common as dirt, we are. I once came across one who had written a novel at the same time I did, with almost an identical title. Another one writing cartoons for the tube at the same time I was doing it. Thick as thieves on a pack of wild dogs, us Steves ...

And, no, I wasn't the lead singer for Journey. Yeah, I heard that one before.

As to how wonderful the science and philosophy was in the original Star Trek? Did we watch the same series? With a couple of notable exceptions -- and notable because they WERE exceptions -- all the shows were resolved by somebody figuratively bashing somebody else over the head, weren't they? Kirk woke up every morning itching for a chance to violate the Prime Directive, get laid, and blast somebody with his trusty phaser. Manifest Destiny in space.

Not even to mention how utterly stupid it was to beam the Captain, First Officer, and only doctor for nine million light years down to a hostile planet even episode.

Or the fact that the deadliest guy on any away team, the security guy who was a crack shot and hand-to-hand combat expert, Ricky Redshirt, who might as well have been named "Jonah Job Redshirt," was always the first guy to die.

In order of death, it should have been McCoy, who had conniptions if the toilet flushed funny; Kirk, who never used his brain when his gut-feeling would serve; Spock, who was smart and strong, but who, every seven years, was willing to hijack the ship so he could get laid. Wouldn't want to be sitting next to Spock in the cafeteria from about six years into a voyage. Then Ricky.

How long you figure it would take for the Security guys to mutiny? "Fuck that, Captain, I ain't going down there -- you kill off security guys faster than Warp Ten Ex-Lax! Put me in the brig -- I'll take my chances with the court martial."

I believe I heard Harlan say something to this effect back in about 1972 or so, when he gave a talk down in Baton Rouge, so I won't claim credit for the notion.

Methinks these episodes are greener in memory than they were ...

Alisha Autumn Brown

A Compromise

Postby Alisha Autumn Brown » Thu May 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Name: Alisha Autumn Brown
Hi Harlan,

Thank you for your generous offer - I hadn't thought of sending them back for correction. How about we strike a compromise? I could send you a self addressed envelope with 3 blank labels inside that you could write on, which I would subsequently stick on the corresponding books. That way the postage cost would be just the cost of a letter. I would be happy with that - how about you?

With affection for you and Susan and all of the great work you both do,
~Alisha

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 pm

Name: David Ray
Harlan, the flyer was mailed to the HERC address this afternoon. The envelope was marked as per your instructions. No need for reimbursement. I had an envelope handy and the postage was only $1.17. Good luck with the law suit and I'm glad to read the good news in re to your health.

David

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

PERRY RESPONSE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu May 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
I know you mean well, Steve, you drunken sot, but asking Steve Barber, who lives further South than I, and me, who lives further South than Santa Barbara--which is where the fire is located--as I'm sure your Pennsylvania newscasts have advised you--despite the fact that you fuckin' Midwestern yokels either have no current Atlases or are simply too hidebound and jejeune to picture the state of California in anything approximating its proportional size to, say, THE ENTIRE GODDAM East Coast--asking us here in Southern California if we're on fire from a holocaust raging UP THE COAST IN SANTA BARBARA!!!!is a lot like asking you, residing in Punxatawney or Wilkes-Barre or Boston if the fire in King of Prussia is threatening the Sanitorium wherein they have your scrawny ass chained up.

The answer, to anyone with a map--even one engraved on the head of a pin or on the head of a pinhead--is no, old chum, both Barber and I, and our excellent spouses, are just peachykeen.

Respectfully, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ALISHA REPLY

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu May 07, 2009 2:54 pm

That's fine. As you desire, Your Highness. I shall do as directed.

If I knew the titles you had purchased, I might still have squirreled-away actual bookplates from the original publication. Perhaps not, but maybe yes.

Respectfully, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLIES

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu May 07, 2009 3:09 pm

STEVE BARBER: "R.O.V.E." -- Ooooooh my yes! Well spon, sir! Well spon indeed! Im-perial!

JOHN ZEOCK: It just so happens, I used to DATE the late (wonderful) Jeff Morrow's gorgeous daughter. And adored all three -- Jeff, Lissa, and Lissa's elegant mother (whose name, yes, I am chagrined to fess-up to a momentary mind-fart, has hidden from me).

Oh, and the 1921 western novel is titled, as you know "DRAG" HARLAN, not just DRAG HARLAN. And would you believe, John-baby, I am currently reading that book. It was sent to me by an adoring fan with whom I have NOT had sex. Which actually doesn't exclude Josh Olson, if you know what I mean nudge nudge wink wink nuff said nuff said...

Respectfully (I'm jus' FULLA respectfulnocity today), Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLY TO SEMI--WRITER

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu May 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Darling:

I know, and could tell you the name of, ONE impeccable old pro who was interviewed for that Stan Lee documentary and was

ABSOLUTELY

BEFORE HE SPOKE A WORD TO THE CAMERA

WAS PAID

CASH IN HAND.

La, la, dee, dee, dee DAAAAAAH!

Walking the walk of talking the talk, Yr. Pal, Har-la-dee-dah-lan Elli-dee-dah-deedum-son

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

SPECIFIC REPLY TO BRIAN SIANO'S QUESTION

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm

No.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FURTHER REPLIES

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu May 07, 2009 3:35 pm

MR. DANNELKE, sir:

Yes, the anecdote was accurately reported; and I bow to your most puissant scholarship. Which obeisance leads me inescapably, possibly even irrefragably, to a pate-scratcher:

If it wasn't HUCKLEBERRY FINN, what WAS the first novel ever written--even in part, if it was a "substantial" part--on a typewriter?
----------------------------------------------------------------
KOS's SUSAN:

Okay, so name yer price. I just want it for the pleasure of owning that old a copy of one of my most favoritest books, not as a "collector." So its ratty condition balks me nowhichway.

Respectfully, Harlan

steveperry

penance, sort of

Postby steveperry » Thu May 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Name: Stephen
I did look at a map, but wasn't sure of the extent of the fires since all of the news items I have seen -- watched on the few minutes a day I get between work and spending time with my kids, multitasking that and reading the musings of other drunken lemurs -- only showed close-ups of desperate people losing their homes adn wondering what to do next. And quite frankly, I am disappointed that youse guys what is relatively local to it aren't helping out in every way you can and yes I mean more than just a few phone calls. You'll be glad of them returning the favor someday soon methinks. And yes, I know you live about 40 miles from the Barbers and are nearer to the disaster zone. And no, I haven't forgotten that you didn't show up to my wedding or the books I still owe you.

"Life on the Mississippi" by Mark Twain was the first work typed out on said machine. "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" wasn't it, despite what any autobiography might say.

Doc

I Am Aware That This Isn't "Antiques Roadshow"...

Postby Doc » Thu May 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Name: Doc
Still, most of the folks here are knowledgeable, helpful, charming, witty, well-informed and possess singing-voices that could shame songbirds into early retirement. So I thought I'd ask.

Among my late mother's belongings, I discover a Colt .45 revolver, dated (in teensy-weensy, nigh-microscopic print) 1871, which related documentation indicates belonged to Fred Snider, the first official Chief of Police of Amarillo, TX. As I understand it, Mr Snider was my great-grandfather's step-father, which, to me seems fairly indicative of how my mother ended up with this artifact.

I don't think the shootin' arn has been fired since before the Coolidge administration, and in any case, *I'm* not going to try it out.

But I wanted to ask whether or not I have something here, other than a curiosity, conversation piece or family heirloom. There has been talk, lately, of collectibles and those who are possessed of such arcane knowledge. So I thought I'd ask. I'm not really eager to clutter up the ether, here, with talk of guns, so if you don't mind or would prefer, aim your response(s) at my private email.

Harlan: I'm pleased to know that you are well and not actively on fire.

Love to All,
Doc

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”