Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: May 2009

Postby admin » Fri May 01, 2009 9:54 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of May 2009.

Zack Malatesta

Postby Zack Malatesta » Fri May 01, 2009 9:54 am

Name: Zack Malatesta
Source: unca20090603.htm
I wrote a short story last night, the first one in a long time and maybe the first good one I've ever managed to caugh up.

I feel real again and it feels good.

ZM

ZM

Postby ZM » Fri May 01, 2009 9:59 am

Name: ZM
"caugh" is how we spell "cough" in the South when we're in a hurry...

shagin

Postby shagin » Fri May 01, 2009 10:47 am

Name: shagin
ZM - And "Glad to hear it!" is how we spell "Glad to hear it!" when we're making fun of how you spell "cough" in the south.

Keep writing and keep feeling good about it!

shagin

KOS

Postby KOS » Fri May 01, 2009 11:39 am

Name: KOS
Sometimes I play wordgames, if only that it keeps me from boredom.

I created a new one.

Here are two examples. Look for the pattern.

Example The First-

Harlequin, A Rebel, Launches A Naughty. Epithet Laden, Losing Insurrection, Smashing Out Noisily

Raging Endlessly, Powerful Entity Names The Hero Angry Rascal, Loosing Even Quotidian Units In Name Search. After Identification, The Harlequin, Endlessly Tracked, Is Captured. Keeps Taunting. Oddly, Clock Keeper Makes Aberrant Noises.

Example The Second-

Imperial Scientist Acts Against Chaos

A Special Institute Manipulates Odd Victory

Formation Of Unique New Design At Terminus, Imperial Order Needed

It's addictive.

KOS

KOS

erratum

Postby KOS » Fri May 01, 2009 11:48 am

Name: KOS
Make that "After Identification Done" in the first sample.

sigh

KOS

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
To: John Z.

Harlan received the book and is "pleased as punch." Thank you.

All best--Susan

Semi-Writer

KOS Word Games

Postby Semi-Writer » Fri May 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Who needs word games when you have friends that come up with phrases like, "I'm a fan of Somali pirates and the chupacabra"?

Some of the material created by stand-up comics is a head trip in itself.

--------------------

Impressionist and comedian Danny Gans has died at the age of 52. He was of the comedy generation that rose to power in the late '80s/early '90s. Went in his sleep.

---------------------

So, to touch on $$ issues for a sec... at the end of the day, a little fudging paid off and I saved myself (and everyone else) a few thousand dollars. The rebel spirit lives on! Wah whoo!

john zeock

gift

Postby john zeock » Fri May 01, 2009 2:31 pm

Name: john zeock
Harlan- glad you're pleased. I live to serve. John

Alex Nystrom

RE: ENSAMV�RK

Postby Alex Nystrom » Fri May 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Name: Alex Nystrom
Regarding "Ensamvrk": In Sweden, we have a chain of stores called "Myrorna" (The Ants), that sell second hand items such as clothes, crockery, furniture and books, donated to them by people, in order to economically aid the Salvation Army's social work. These stores are represented in pretty much every major city in Sweden, and whenever I visit one of them, I almost always see a copy (or more) of "Ensamvrk". Seems like quite a few were printed and now, somehow, many of them have ended up at Myrorna.

As far as I know, there are only two more books of Ellison's stories published in Swedish. Those are "Vredens konfekt" (which literally means "The Confectionary of Wrath" and is, as you might have guessed, a translation of ANGRY CANDY), and I HAVE NO MOUTH, AND I MUST SCREAM, which bears the quite poetic title "Det tysta ropet" (literally "The silent cry"). The last one mentioned is pretty rare, but I have them all.

steveperry

Said-Bookism

Postby steveperry » Fri May 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Name: Steve Perry
Dear Almost an Old Guy --

I have lost my copy of the fanzine with the correction. It was "'Good morning,' he pole-vaulted.' right? You, quoting Damon?

I'm writing a piece, and I wanted to get it right the first time this go 'round ...

Thanking You In Advance I Remain Yr. Obedient Servant

Perry

Adam-Troy

Way To Get An Irresistable Short Story Idea

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri May 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Take an Ellison title. Translate it into Swedish. Get the English translation of the Swedish version.

"The Confectionary of Wrath."

Jesus Kay-REIST, I have GOT to do something with that.

Adam-Troy

(Thinking Furiously)

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri May 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
The Confectionary of Wrath.

(spitballing)

A bunch of Keebler elves get laid off from their job in the hollow tree, pile up the junker and head out to Californee at the height of the Dust Bowl...

Well, it's a start. I'll do better.

Site Admin

Confectionary of Wrath of Khan

Postby Moderator » Fri May 01, 2009 6:40 pm

Name: Steve Barber
(OH, WHO CAN RESIST???)

Kirk: Khan, you bloodsucker. You're going to have to do your own biscuits now! Do you hear me? Do you?

Khan: Kirk? You're still stirring, my old friend?

Kirk: Still, "old friend!" You've managed to whip everyone else, but like a poor sous chef, you keep missing the recipe!

Khan: Perhaps I no longer need to try, baker.
(beams the bagelmaker away)

Kirk: Khan... Khan, you've got the bagels, but you don't have my muffins. You were going to beat me like a bunch of bad eggs, Khan. You're going to have to come down here. You're going to have to come down here!

Khan: I've done far worse than batter you, Kirk. I've hurt you. Flattened you like a cheese souffle in an earthquake. And I wish to go on flattening you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her; macarooned for all eternity in the center of a dead bakery... blanched alive! Blanched alive...!

Kirk: KHAAANNNN!

Brandon Butler

Postby Brandon Butler » Fri May 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Name: Brandon Butler
"Brandon: No, I haven't been disappointed in LOST this season at all - it continues to engage, excite and sometimes infuriate me. And I've seen it speculated that the "inconsistencies" of the type you cite are actually not that at all, but rather little hints that something is amiss with the very fabric of the reality we're being shown. This is, after all, a show where characters have been trying to alter the timestream."

I think the thing is that I'm watching a lot of things that are engaging me as well -- so it's just when I see this OTHER stuff that I perceive as dropping the ball, it's that much more frustrating.

I came upon this theory you quote not long after I posted the original message. I'd certainly hope for something like this to be the case and for a lot of these to be on purpose at this point: many of the things noted in the article -- Sayiid's warning, Ben's wound -- that's stuff I sort of tend to give a pass on: y'know was the brooch on the left side of the neck or the right from one shot to the next... eh, as long as it's still on the neck and not on the foot, would be my view.

The problem's been that some of the things I'm noticing feel closer to the latter case for me. So yeah: I certainly hope that an explanation like that is forthcoming.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”