Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Ross

All and Sundry

Postby Robert Ross » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:12 am

Name: Robert Ross
Source: unca20090603.htm
MICHAEL MAYHEW: You might like Darryl Ponicsan's RINGMASTER.

KOS's comment about a Harlan-related magazine got me thinking ... I seem to vaguely recall a blurb from the late '70s about a mystery magazine that was going to be reincarnated and relaunched as HARLAN ELLISON'S MYSTERY MONTHLY. But I don't think it actually happened. This may be the kind of trivia that Harlan gets tired of; you know, 'whatever happened to Project X???'

DIANE: I've had a few CT scans myself; no glowing yet.

Recently I thought I was develping tinnitus. As I lay in bed, waiting and hoping for sleep, I heard ... something. After several nights I finally thought to myself, "wait, that's really not just in my head." So I investigated. Near the foot of my bed there was a flat screen TV that I had recently purchased ... and when I got close to it ... I thought the sound got louder. So I unplugged the TV, the little red light disappeared ... and so did the sound.

What a relief.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 am

Name: Jan
"Ellison is always a treat, and his 23 minutes of madman shtick is flawless (and full of brilliant critical commentary)..."
From latest Dark Dreamers DVD review at www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/36866/dark-dreamers/

Dennis C

RH #48

Postby Dennis C » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:55 am

Name: Dennis C
Has careened into my mailbox in Glendale, CA. A Spectacular Oversized Edition.

Tony Rabig

Today at Fictionwise.com

Postby Tony Rabig » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 am

Name: Tony Rabig
New Ellison ebooks:
STRANGE WINE
THE BEAST THAT SHOUTED LOVE AT THE HEART OF THE WORLD.

(and here you thought nothin' nifty happens on Monday...)

Bests to all,

--tr

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

EXTREMELY BAD NEWS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:55 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Len Wein called this morning. More than half of his house burned down earlier today. Len and Chris Valada and Chris's son, Michael, got out okay, but their beloved dog, Sheba, ran back inside and is gone. In addition to both bedrooms, the bathroom, and much of the office, what was burned first was the original art for the first Wolverine story, the cover of GIANT X-MEN #1 and other art pieces worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Susan and I will be over there as soon as I pick up my car today, and as soon as I've met the dental appointment we have scheduled. This is a major catastrophe for one of my oldest and closest friends. Like your Host, Len is a lifetime freelancer and, even though he remains a star of the comics world, even though he created Wolverine and Storm--among other characters--he goes from day to day earning a freelancer's living, as do I...and these are frightening economic times for those of us out there, to paraphrase Arthur Miller, "on a few words and a shoeshine."

Harlan

Faisal A. Qureshi

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:12 am

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Harlan,

Sorry to hear about your mate. Hope his situation gets better for Mr Wein and his family.

Best.

FAQ

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 am

Name: Charlie
Harlan, What horrible news! I spoke to Chris several years ago when I wrote the article on KICK and she was extremely giving of her time. I only hope insurance will compensate them accordingly. The loss of their animal companion and original art work is heart- rending. All best wishes to them.

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Harlan...

Please convey my love to Len and Christine...and let us know what, if anything, we can do.

Tony

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 am

Name: Frank Church
KOS, offhanded comments do nothing for me but give me dandruff.

Sometimes it snows in April.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:41 am

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - That is devastating news. I'm glad the Wein's have you and Susan as support. If you see this, can you post whether we should spread the word around? He undoubtedly has fans who would want to know and help out if they can.

Alex Schor

Postby Alex Schor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 am

Name: Alex Schor
Harlan,

As a fan of Len Wein's work, I would like to help out. Please let me know how I can pitch in.

Adam-Troy

Len, Chris

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
What devastating news.

It is a small measure of how much Len's great work has colonized my consciousness that my first fleeting association before reality took hold was not of the terrible loss and uncertainty suffered by flesh-and-blood people, but of Alec Holland fleeing a similar inferno only to belly-flop into the swamp and emerge as the "muck-encrusted mockery of a man" known as the Swamp Thing.

I know that the family must be shaken and in dire need of comfort. I await any updates.

William Sherman

Regrets

Postby William Sherman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:25 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Please allow me to express my regrets upon learning of the loss suffered by the Wein family.

Be glad to offer any assistance that I can provide.

Most Sincerely,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

reddragon70

Regrets

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Name: Iain Aitken
Dear Mr Ellison

Please pass on my deepest regrets and sympathy to the Wein family. Losing their home is a terrible loss, their beloved pet, a tragedy and the loss of such priceless wonders is a horror beyond compare. I am sure all who read this forum are horrified and upset by such a tragedy and wish them well in rebuilding.

Yours

Iain Aitken

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
As if these times weren't hard enough, now this happens to the Wein family. Damn. I hope their insurance will to the honorable and pony up for the damage, but the loss of a family pet and that wonderful artwork will still sting. I'm glad they have such good friends.

Chuck

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”