Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Jim Thomas

Postby Jim Thomas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Name: Jim Thomas
Source: unca20090603.htm
And I have now survived *four* rounds of layoffs at my company.

The hell of it is, when we had a couple of rounds of layoffs several eyars ago, everyone got laid off in the morning, so by the time anyone realized what was going on, it was all over.

Now, HR does the axing one at a time, so that early in the morning you get word that people are being laid off, and then you get to spend the rest of the day under the sword of freaking Damocles.

Luckily, right after lunch our manager came and told Deborah (our other writer) and me that we were in the clear. We have a certain level of security in that the two of us are the only people in the comany who know how to use our authoring software (FrameMaker).

Hope everyone else is doing well. Me, I need a beer.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:06 pm

Name: Cindy
It is my constant prayer that all will be well... but most of all, Harlan.

Cindy

Shane Shellenbarger

On This Day - Dachau is liberated

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:15 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
April 29, 1945 -Dachau, a nazi concentration camp is liberated. See video here: http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketel ... me=history

Ezra Lb.

The Voices of Time

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:19 am

Name: Ezra
In my post after the news of the death of J G Ballard I referenced a favorite edition of TERMINAL BEACH with a cover by David Pelham. There's a website devoted to the cover art of Penguin SF and Mr Pelham's early 70s work is included,

http://www.penguinsciencefiction.org/

There's an index with a couple of seperate pages devoted to Mr Pelham in general and his specific work for Ballard.

My other favorite of his covers is STAR MAKER by Olaf Stapledon.

Fortunately I still possess both these books.

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:56 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear Keith Cramer:

Re: MEFISTO IN ONYX "Death Cell" edition--it is still available. Were you just funning, or are you interested in it? Couldn't quite tell from your post.

With all best--Susan

remarck

Mefisto

Postby remarck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:11 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Susan,

Totally serious. I think you have my number. I can give you a call, or you guys can call me, to talk price and logistics if necessary. I'm off work at 6pm EST.

-Keith

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:33 am

Name: Charlie
Shane, I visited Dachau during the 40th anniversary of the liberation. That visit had to be the most eery (for lack of a better word) experience I've had. BTW, I figured you had to be tired anent the Moorcock posting.

Jaws

General Announcement

Postby Jaws » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:42 am

Name: Jaws
For Harlan -- who already knows -- and every other denizen here who has books either in print or formerly in print:

The Google Book Search settlement decision date has been delayed for four months by order of the court (Judge Denny Chin). I've put a few more details up in an announcement on my blawg:

scrivenerserror.blogspot.com/2009/04/9428x.html

What this means to you: Four more months of e/l/e/c/t/i/o/n/ s/e/a/s/o/n/ idiots pontificating while the rest of us try to slay this misbegotten chimera.

Semi-Writer

Cali DMVoolishness

Postby Semi-Writer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:13 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
(Sorry about the "DMVoolishness," but The Style Network's "Clean House" is having an unhealthy influence. Horrible what the media does to your brain sometimes.)

Got the new license (after three tries on the test--but, hey, this was the first written driving test I've had to take since the mid-'80s!). Now comes the DMV registration process... ew. Ouch. Ugh. Again, it's gonna require some creative paperwork to keep costs down below the thousands that the Fee Calculator determined. And as far as helping, I put a post in the Forum, with a few different options of ways that I'll accept assistance.

Speaking of Google Books, it was a surprise to find two of mine are up there with an alleged "limited preview" (the other has "no preview"). But to be honest, that preview don't look all that damned limited...

Adam, you are so right about the clueless writer at the book fair. Why spend the money to rent a booth? Why waste a day or two to drive there and back, put all that effort into transporting your books to and from the booth, and setting up and dismantling the displays if your product is just eye candy?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Name: Frank Church
You mooks need some facts. Fun facts from the latest Harper's index.

1. Tax cuts give the GDP an extra three cents per dollar in cuts.

Food stamps and regular spending account for 59 cents per dollar and 73 cents per dollar extra GDP.

Tax cuts don't work.

2. Single payer insurance would create 2,600,000 new jobs alone.

3. Amount of people who will die because of the recession: 71,000.

4. Amount of democracies created between 1989 and 1996: 71

Amount created since: Zero!

5. Percentage of tenth graders who smoke weed, compared to cigarettes: a ratio of 11:10.

6. Number of Americans who supported gay marriage in 1996, when Obama supported it: 27 percent.

Number now, when Obama no longer supports it: 39

7. Percentage of people who will have hypertension in open space offices, compared to walled ones: 49!

Privacy is a good thing.

8. Amount of promises Obama has kept so far: 11. Promises he has not kept: 2

Pretty good for a politico.

Jobs

Rick Ollerman

Hit and run

Postby Rick Ollerman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Name: Rick Ollerman
I never talk about politics publicly but I'm going to lob one thing out there even though I know I shouldn't:

Tax cuts don't work.

So what does, tax increases? Why do I believe tax cuts would work if there were spending cuts as well? Or even responsible spending?

Tax cuts are okay in my book. Massive deficit spending not so much. Personally I'd favor a flat tax and a balanced budget but all the politicians tell me I really don't want that so I must be wrong.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON

Stop worrying. Yesterday was a busy day between Ellison's Body and Dr. Julie Dunhill, haemotologist. But: no bone marrow biopsy, hemo count perfectly normal, CT scan showed no change from the July lastyear scan. Other small shit, and I'm being monitored for 3 months on one matter, six months on another, but apparently, on sum, I will survive.

Doctor Julie said, "Apart from (one thing) and (one other thing) which might possibly MIGHT BE unlikely but MAYBE MIGHT BE a marker for (something else), I'm looking at the chart of a normal, healthy man." That would be me.

So. I'm apparently okay, except for being exhausted and still schlepping the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome around. Wiped out most of the time, but... I've written three new pieces in the last 30 days and, if Keith Cramer would be kind enough to get his phone number to Rick, Susan will get in touch with you, and the Velveteen Rabbit will smile again, kids, as will Len and Chris, the latter of whom stopped by today to admire my T-shirt that declares:

50% Cotton
50% Shroud of Turin.

I'll see if I can con one of my doctors into posting a more comprehensive explanation of the status vivendi. Prolly not, but we'll see.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:30 pm

Name: Mark Goldberg
Harlan,

That is wonderful news, you must feel very relieved to have been given such a clean bill of health.

If I might impose, where on earth did you find that t-shirt?

All the best,

Mark

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Harlan, truly good news. I hope you and Susan maintain a clean bill of heath and happiness.

Chuck

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Name: Alan Coil
There's nothing major wrong with my health, but I certainly hope to still be around to be able to make ANY comments about my health during the year of my 75th birthday.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”