Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

remarck

today

Postby remarck » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:26 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Source: unca20090603.htm
Harlan and Susan,

My thoughts and good wishes are with you. Take care.

-Keith

Chuck Demorat

"El Artiste"

Postby Chuck Demorat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 am

Name: Chuck Demorat
Hey Harlan, heard you were gunnin' for me.

Chuck

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ELLISON TO DEMORAT ------ AT LAST!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:54 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Sir:

The word isn't "gunning," the words are "endlessly searching for."

I would, a chat with you have. I think you'll find it both condign and rewarding. It opens with me trying to put a small amount of money in your pocket.

Please get your phone number to my Sanctified Webmaster, Mr. Rick Wyatt, whose contact info is secreted somewhere at this site. He will pass it on, and I will call you tomorrow.

Can't call today, onaccounta myself must schlep me down to the Tower Group for a bone-marrow biopsy, and frankly, I don't think I'll be up to conversation till early tomorrow.

So. If you would...

Till then, and with admiration for Demorat art, I remain,

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:59 am

Name: Steve Barber

CHUCK DEMORAT

Welcome to Webderland. Harlan may take a day or two to respond. He may be indisposed.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:01 am

Then again.

Ignore my last.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

HELP, PLEASE!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Immediately preceding is a post from, and a reply to, the guy I've been looking for some while now. So I wrote him a private reply, punched in his e.mail adress and tried to send it. As usual, Ellison the Pithecanthropoid couldn't do it, lost the message, and started to cry.

Would some, any, all of you please copy my missive, just preceding, and fire it to Demorat for me. If any of you are privvy to my number, you can give him that, too, so HE can CALL me. I thank y'all.

Harlan

Paul Michael Barkan

Message sent!

Postby Paul Michael Barkan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:15 am

Name: Paul Michael Barkan
Harlan,

I emailed your message to Chuck Demorat, per your request.

I hope all goes well today.

All the best,
Paul

Paul Michael Barkan

And . . .

Postby Paul Michael Barkan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:22 am

Name: Paul Michael Barkan
Harlan,

I also gave Mr. Demorat your phone number so that he can call you -- tomorrow.

PMB

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:23 am

As did I.

Adam-Troy

Various: Clueless Writer / Fun Books Read / Hot Stuff / Best

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:47 am

Name: adamcastro999@yahoo.com
Tidbits from LA:

At the LA Book Fair, held at UCLA, one of the booths belonged to a fellow who had written a book about Barack Obama. He had an interesting take that attracted me from the onset; that take is beside the point, but he had me from the title, which was the very name of his booth. He sat below it, surrounded by stacks and stacks of his hardcovers.

I asked him how much the book was.

He said that it was not for sale.

I said, Excuse me?

He said the books were display-only. He was not selling them at the fair. He was sitting there, beside pyramids of his book, to let people know that they could order his books on Amazon.

But Im here, I said, with money, offering to buy your book.

No, he said. Its not for sale.

So I walked away, shrugging, and went to the Mysterious Galaxy booth, where I signed for an hour beside Kevin J. Anderson, a tireless self-promoter who moved a small mountain of his Batman/Superman novel, ENEMIES AND ALLIES.

I told Kevin about the other author, and he was aghast. It seemed to him, as it seemed to me, that the author of the Barack Obama book had missed the very point of a book fair.

As for me, I have already forgotten that authors name, and the name of his book, and it strikes me, no big loss.

AFRAID by Jack Kilborn. Murderous paramilitary force, manned by soldiers who have been enhanced by superscientific means, attacks small Wisconsin town on mission of its own. Most of the town is toast. Three or four civilians (and one brave, heroic small beagle) refuse to go down without a fight and survive many, many, MANY near-death experiences that include situations this reader never expected some to survive. An action-packed storyline driven by cliffhangers. It ain't art, but boy is it page-turning. Many will be driven off by the extreme violence, which is enough for the book to cross the line between action-thriller and horror. I can only report that its intensity leads to a number of "Yes!" moments.

AGENT TO THE STARS by John Scalzi. Rising Hollywood Agent Thomas Stein is retained by alien visitors who look like snot to counter inevitable human revulsion when they announce their presence to the world. Many of the best parts of the book deal with Stein's interactions with the rest of his showbiz clientele, including one stone bitch who has yet to realize why nobody has ever worked with her twice, and one sweet but intellectually challenged blonde who has become a superstar and who now wants to play a heroine of the Warsaw Ghetto. The characterization is fine; as clueless as the blonde is, it's impossible to not like her, a factor that becomes more important as the book goes on. Hilarious and, by the end, far more touching than you expect it to be.

Another highlight of the trip: a quest, the first day, to a restaurant called Orochon Ramen, profiled on the Travel Channel for its big bowl of super-spicy noodles, which has evidently only been successfully finished by five customers.

While Judi and our friend Deb enjoyed cooler fare, I ordered that challenge bowl, much to the horror of the couple sitting next to us. It arrived, richly scarlet with spice, peppers floating in it as thick as lentils. The very first spoonful was like battery acid, burning my lips and tongue. I popped a sweat, turned red, and immediately started leaking from my nose and eyes. It was great. I did not finish the bowl and make it to the Hall of Fame, alas, but it was the liquid and not the solid that defeated me; I consumed all the noodles, all the peppers, and all the saturated vegetables, finishing two thirds of the bowl with only broth remaining. I could have finished that if Id been willing to risk the tilt-the-bowl-to-the-lips.

My stomach felt warm the rest of the day.

Orochon Ramen is on Astronaut Ellison Onizuka street, appropriately enough overlooking a statue of the Space Shuttle Challenger.

Still concerned about the big (okay, not so big) lug, and awaiting word.

Semi-Writer

Harlan...

Postby Semi-Writer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:03 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Know that we're all waiting to hear the latest on your physical condition. That is, in general--no details necessary, of course, so feel free to keep the latest weeping sore to yourself--and we're always hoping for the best for you.

Latest on me: I've decided to stay in California no matter what, so there's one mental hurdle jumped. Just barely passed the driver's test after three tries, so the Cali license is on its way. Haven't hit the DMV for registration purposes yet, but I've decided to fudge some facts to make the cost more manageable (f--k the $2,442, that's bloody insane), though apparently the truck does still need a smog check and a weight certificate.

And yes, I'm swallowing the misplaced pride and will accept... ouch... HELP. Y'all just don't know the difficulty that takes to admit, though; there's a lot of family history that'd bore you all to tears in explaining why I've refused for so long. But now that things are on a definite path, I can honestly say that I will need the h-word. And will do whatever it takes to help others in the future in a similar fashion.

Was anyone here a fan of Richard Jeni's? They just relaunched his website, Richardjeni.com with new graphics (albeit somewhat cheezy at times). Any fan contributions(video, photos, stories) on the late comic are welcomed at http://richardjeniinfo.blogspot.com, by the way.

john zeock

library of america

Postby john zeock » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:27 am

Name: john zeock
First, hope all is well. Second, as to the inclusion of Harlan in an LOA anthology, while it's nice to have some acknowledgement where is Harlan's volume or Ray's or Ted's or Heinlein's ? Once you open the the door with Lovecraft and Dick, under what criteria do you keep them or Ursula or Stephen King or Richard Matheson out ? Please understand I'm a fan (in some cases a huge fan ) of most of the writers in the series but if you're going to include Charles Brockden Brown how do you keep out Fritz Leiber ? If Phil has 2 volumes because of his affect on the Zeitgeist then how do you not do a volume of novels with Stranger In A Strange Land included ? What has James Agee done in the overwhelming majority of his work that Harlan hasn't done better ? Harlan, be well. John

Alex Nystrom

A cool idea?

Postby Alex Nystrom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:30 am

Name: Alex Nystrom
Hi guys. You know what would be cool? A complete reissue of all Ellison short story collections ever published, with each one featuring a bonus story never published before. I'm sure the big man has lots of stories sitting around that have never seen the light of day. I can't fathom them being bad, if they were written by HE, so why not use them as a way to get people who already have the books (but want to update their tattered and well worn copies to fresh ones) to buy them again and give them a little extra in the process?

I'm sure there have been lots of stories written SINCE 'Slippage', and it would be cool to see those collected in a single volume too, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen in the near future, so ...

What do you think?

All the best from sunny Stockholm

Alex Nystrm, esq., Knights In Andrea Doria's Service

Brian Phillips

Tom Deitz R.I.P.

Postby Brian Phillips » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am

Name: Brian Phillips
From sfsite.com:

"Author Tom Deitz (b.1952) died on April 27 of heart failure.

Deitz was the 2007 Phoenix Award and wrote novels including the Soulsmith series, Windmasters Bane, and The Gryffon King. In the 1970s, Deitz contributed to the fanzine Aphelion and to APA MOTiVE in the 1990s."

Brian Phillips

Michael Mayhew

help for Semi

Postby Michael Mayhew » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
Semi-

Glad you're willing to accept a helping hand; there's absolutely no shame in it. The day will come, sooner then you think, when you can do the same for someone else.

Next step is to get your address to someone here in the Pav that you trust and who is willing to forward things.

Or, if your are an internet kind of gal, set up a PayPal account and help can be routed through there.

MM

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”