Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:39 am

Name: Mary
Source: unca20090603.htm
"Gordon" sounds like a very unhappy person...a malcontent who has nothing better to do than to come to this forum and write the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. Time to get out and breathe fresh air, buddy...

Frank, you make my heart skip a beat with the way you put words together...

Semi-Writer

Anyone got an ark?

Postby Semi-Writer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 am

Name: Semi-Writer
I woke up this morning to a waterlogged apartment--a constantly-running toilet expelling more than just water (yuck), a bathtub full of water of several different colors and substances (double yuck), a kitchen worthy of a Tom & Jerry skit (which is thankfully on a little bit of a slope but still an inch deep with water near the doorway), and a roommate either too stoned / hung over / horny with girlfriend in his bedroom to really do anything about it. So, after raising the issue with the building manager--and how did the manager miss it, as the entire lobby is also flooded?--I blocked off the kitchen and began to minimize the damage with two mops, a handful of towels and a select litany of silent curses against my inactive cohabitator.

Because his answer to a situation like this was to retreat to his room and ignore the problem. Not that the flooding is his fault. This building is 79 years old and rife with issues like this; you can name anything in the apartment and it needs replacing. But even in a crisis as minor as this one, to do absolutely nothing is unacceptable. Worse, to pass the burden off onto another person and then not even OFFER to help out is despicable. God only knows what he'd do if there was a burglary, or if a freakin' fire broke out.

A new comedy bit of mine applies here: "You know, you don't WANT to call a grown man a 'pussy'... but..."

As a side note? I hope they fix this soon. Because, damn it, I've gotta take a piss.

--------------------------

And while I'm not a big comic book fan, it can't be denied that when Harlan Ellison puts his hand into it, there's gotta be something there:

"Harlan Ellison contributed a brand-new, 1,500-word recollection detailing the first comic book he ever read as the books 'outroduction.'"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=20632

Zack Malatesta

Science!

Postby Zack Malatesta » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:11 am

Name: Zack Malatesta
Granted that I've no scientific training:

If the cosmos does experience heat death, then what happens to the inert matter left over? What would such matter be composed of? And what about gravity? All matter has a gravitational pull, however slight, on all other matter, correct? If every other energetic force in the universe reached zero through entropic action, would gravity act on the inert masses over unthinkable timeframes to form ever larger inert masses? And how long can a mass stay inert when exposed to inevitable extremes of pressure exerted by the super mass upon itself?

I don't know if entropy is observable in any of the fundamental forces of nature....

I am a Philosophy major from Mississippi. I spend my free time considering the ethical implications of an as-of-yet uncomposed 21st Century social contract theory based on human evolutionary mythologies. In otherwords, me thinks bullshits alla time on teevee!

So behold the scientific might of the layman and despair.

ZM

James Moran

HARLAN:

Postby James Moran » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:45 am

Name: James Moran
Sir,

Microfiche is in the post ("mail", in Americanese). Watch the skies. TELL NO-ONE.

Bunky

Dennis C

Liberal

Postby Dennis C » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:45 am

Name: Dennis C
Since everyone's kicking Liberals around, I figure I'll accept the blame.

I'm it: I'm the godless Hollywood Liberal Democrat that the world hates so much. Me. Throw your rocks and rotten tomatoes. I gladly bear the brunt of the hatred.

Not only am I a godless Hollywood liberal, but I work on a TV show that might influence the minds of little ones out there to (GASP) become liberals. (Fat chance of that.)

So I expect some cross-burnings and vandalism and all that. I'm looking forward to it.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 am

Name: Jan
Travis, we seem to be in disagreement, but my original comments were not directed at you personally and this is not the place to post childish tit-for-tat dissections of other peoples messages. Always fun to write, no so much fun to read. Im from Cologne, Germany. The ironic comment about people taking their first intellectual steps here was, once more, not about you personally, but it is how I feel certain types of messages here read. Some people dont realize that there is such a thing as a human pool of knowledge and that when they have the urge to explain the world to us in simplistic terms, then perhaps their world is so simple only because they havent accessed the knowledge pool properly (yet). Some people, not you personally.

Regarding humanity, heres a central statement of yours and why I disagree with it.

People are animalsnot apart from nature, not fallen angelsbut grimy, groping, grit-n-gristle critters of flesh and basic instincts, to wit: to eat, to drink, to fight, to fuck, to piss, to shit, to laugh, to scream, ad nauseum.

Now, there is more than that to humans of today, and those aspects which constitute this more are so significant that you cannot summarily call them animals and really mean it. We have evolved a pretty amazing brain, for example, that can create laws and cantatas and understand astronomy and biology. Somewhat more personally, I also object to the idea of likening humans to animals when bad behaviour is observed in humans. When people do bad things they are usually in a good enough position to have a choice. They usually have the means and the knowledge to avoid having to do bad things. Also, the treatment other species on this planet have received from humans demands that our generation treat animals with greater care, and we should start by not thinking of them as simple bundles of flesh and basic instincts either.

Michael Mayhew

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!

Postby Michael Mayhew » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:12 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
Mr. Steven Barber makes gorgeous images and sells them at a reasonable price! I just received a print of his "Quoth the Raven" photo and I am VERY SATISFIED! I urge you all to check out his work and buy something beautiful. You will not be disappointed.

In other matters:

HARLAN - I am in the thick of a novel called "Water for Elephants," which reminds me of you because it is set in a circus during the 1930s. I'm liking it very much so far. I wonder if you have read it and if the author's descriptions of that world line up with your own experiences?

Dennis C - Seconded. I, too, am the feared, loathed "Hollywood Liberal." I make my living by creating entertainment in Los Angeles, and I would cheerfully pay more taxes if it meant excellent schools and universal health care.

Frank, your tactic of denouncing liberalism because some politicians have failed to live up to its ideals, seems weak. My feeling is that, whatever you chose to call it, you are a left-of-center kind of cat. I think it might be more interesting to argue the specific policy views with which you disagree.

On Humans as Animals. I'm not trying to egg on a fight, but I do think the Travis/Jan debate is interesting. My own views tend to line up more with Travis'.

Certainly most of our best and worst behavior can be found in our closest relatives, the chimpanzees. War, murder, infanticide? Check. Love, generosity, teamwork, sharing, compassion? Check. Recognizing this is neither to excuse our own wrongdoing nor to blame it on other creatures. But it seems to me that this recognition is where understanding begins.

I am far from the first to observe it, but basically, as a species, our intellect has raced ahead of our instincts.

MM

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
ANDREW LAUBACHER:

That should be "your," not "you're," which--as you well know--is a contraction for "you are." If you wish to take on the "Gordon's" of the world, Andrew, you must make sure you commit no minuscule gaffe on which such vanga-shrikes can fasten to override or ignore your chide.

What perplexes me overmuch is why the lot of you are even bothering to respond to the crapulous offscourings of a pathetic thing whose basal ganglia is not in synch with either its prefrontal cortex or its hippocampus. Y'know whuh
I'm sayin', homes?

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Andrew Laubacher

Gordon and stuff

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:21 am

Name: Andrew Laubacher
Thank you, Host - Esteemed, for the correction. Of course I know the difference between "your" and "you're," which makes my improper usage all the more irking. I responded to Gordon, partially, because I thought he was getting an unfair rap over the "Scientology" business; I can feel a bit for the guy on that particular topic. How can seemingly intelligent people fall for such an obvious load of horse-hockey?

FRANK CHURCH: Sorry, if I mischaracterize you. I calls 'em as I see 'em; and, to my mind you fall on the more conservative side of the spectrum. On the whole, at least. I'm sure that you have positions on both sides of the slate. So do I. We are vast--we contain multitudes.

ADAM TROY-CASTRO: Saw your name on the cover of ANALOG today. Good work, mate!

Andrew L.

Postby Andrew L. » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:29 am

Name: Andrew L.
Crap. Breaking the rules to apologize to ADAM-TROY CASTRO for misspelling his name. I am a dunce. I promise not to post for the next few days (at least).

Chris Noble

Postby Chris Noble » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:40 am

Name: Chris Noble
Dear Civilized World,

You're welcome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/us/04 ... l?_r=1&hpw

Regards,
Iowa Supreme Court

Adam-Troy

Bashful

Postby Adam-Troy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:53 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Am delightfully abashed by a number of kind notices here. Mwaaaah to y'all.

Video report: DNA Evidence frees black man convicted of mauling by bear

For his thirteen years in prison, he protested that he did not eat that woman's leg, or claw his way into her automobile to get at her food
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/d ... _black_man

diane bartels

oh where and oh has our little Didi gone, oh where could she

Postby diane bartels » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Name: diane bartels
Hello, lovely people, all. Been missing you terribly. Here is what happened to me, the day after me last post. This is true. I think it's almost hysterically funny. (P.S., I'm fine). I was driving down the street, in full exercise of all due caution and care for my safety. It was daylight on a bright sunny day, no clouds, no snow, no rain. The person ahead of me stopped to turn left into Jiffy Lube, I stopped behind him all calm and happy. Horrible, screeching, grinding terrifying metal sound. To myself says I , "Oh, shit, piss, double damn." And I glance in the rear view mirror to see large, Dodge Dakato truck, black no less, bearing down om me like, well like a large fast black Dodge Dakoto. Scrunch went the impact. I was wearing the old seat belt, or I would not now be posting this missive.
I went all the way forward anyways, just missing the windshield by a inch, and all the way back hard. He stopped. Police came. Ambulance took me to hospital. Where they did a Cat scan of the head. (I've had many; I glow like a phosphorant lizard.) They released me and said I was fine. This is the part where it gets really funny. I wasn't. I went downtown to Northwestern where my neurosurgeon is the next day, cause I felt like crap. There were two tiny epidural bleeds on the left front center of my brain. This is the opposite side from where the large subdural hematoma was some 20 years ago from my original accident which resulted in the placement of my shunt.
Northwestern kept me for three days and it stopped on its own so I didn't have to be operated on. I've been sore as hell ever since then, but nothing broke. It just seems there should be a limit on the number of head injuries one has in a lifetime. If the Big Guy upstairs has a message for me in all this, I don't get it. Other than that apparently homo sapiens don't really need their frontal lobes to walk, talk, type or laugh.
On the happy side, his insurance is being cool and cooler.
Should any of you doubt this much can happen to one poor little girl in one life time, this is my permission to call Dr. Getch at Northwestern and check. I say that because I sort of don't believe this me own self. You should see the looks on my doctors faces. Oh well.
Sandra, congratulations on publishing your story. KOS, I had a Tonette too in high school. I think the thing is still around somewhere. I wonder if I can still play. Frank, Purple Rain is one of my favorite albulms since the creation of the world. Is it one of yours? I had a raspberry beret I wore for years. That may still be around somewhere. Still reading Brothers Karamazov. Slowly, what with brain hematomas and all. Also picked up Terry Pritchard's "Thud". Have been laughing out loud. Forgive spelling if wrong. Give head injury patient a break, kay? Harlan, glad your back is better and your hamsters are dancing. May I have another scone and cup of tea please? I'm Irish enough that I take milk in my Lipton. I think I might come to LA on the 23rd. Life is short and one should do as one wants. I have wanted to meet Harlan for 30 years. Any chance any/all of you all (and you know who you are) will be there? Signing off for now to go sip me tea,

Diane

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Name: Alan Coil
Head Injury Patient said:

"...they did a Cat scan of the head. (I've had many; I glow like a phosphorant lizard.)"

Neat! A woman who can be her own nightlight!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:52 pm

Name: Steve Barber

Michael - I am very happy you like the print, it's also one of MY favorite shots. (Sorry it took so long.) Much appreciated.

It hasn't been noted here yet, but JAMES MORAN -- he who has done something nefarious and dropped it into the "post" for HARLAN -- wrote the April 4th episode (tonight) of PRIMEVAL. (In fact, given it is 5:54P Pacific, it's likely already broadcast.)

Unfortunately, one must have been in the British Isles to receive it.

But congrats anyway James!!!

Cris played a gig today. A wedding. For the sweetest couple. I smashed a thumb pretty badly.

First cement diving in the dark breaks a toe, then trying to keep a speaker from banging down on the cart crushes the thumb. I swear to god I'm not a klutz, but this week has been a little rough on the old bod's extremities.

I'm updating my beneficiaries list -- anyone care to volunteer???

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”