Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Ollerman

Library of America

Postby Rick Ollerman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 am

Name: Rick Ollerman
Source: unca20090603.htm
Hey, I just got my Subscription Update form from the Library of America for 2009-2010 (it shows upcoming books and reprints so that you can tell them in advance whether or not they should exclude them from your subscription).

The first section shows two books under the cover of "American Fantastic Tales." The second book is called "Terror and the Uncanny from 1940s to Now". It lists the authors included as Ray Bradbury, Michael Chabon, John Crowley, Harlan Ellison, Jack Finney, Shirley Jackson, Stephen King, Joyce Carol Oates (wonder if she's written a book yet today?), Tennesee Williams, "dozens more."

Sadly its publication date is listed as Fall 2009. Seems like way too long to have to wait.

Andrew Laubacher

The Rules

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 am

Name: Andrew Laubacher
Semi-Writer, you wrote, "I am a horrible stickler for rules...hence I have waited 'til after midnight to post again."

Not to kvetch or anything (I'm as guilty as anyone for doing this), but the rule is one post per twenty-four hours. It took me a while to understand that, myself.

I'm glad to see that you've been offered assistance with your current troubles. I can relate and I hope that this affords you a chance to get back on your feet.

Rick Keeney

quite late to the party

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 am

Name: Keeney
~ahem~

HALLELUJAH!

Rick

KOS

Sometimes a Chair is Just A Chair

Postby KOS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Name: KOS
Other times, it's a way of paying the bills.

Which is to say to Semi: Chromcraft chairs from the seventies, if of sufficiently Modern design, if in original state, even if "distressed" MIGHT be worth a few dollars. I don't know enough about that brand to say more than "worth looking into".

I highly recommend you take photographs of your chairs from three or four angles, INCLUDING CLOSE-UP'S OF ANY LABELS OR MANUFACTURERS MARK, and email them to one of the shops over on Beverly. Most of them have websites with email links. Try Sam Kaufman Gallery, Modernica, Modern One, NoHo Gallery, Neptina and 20th Obsession.com.

Good luck!

KOS

DTS

HE's Dr. visit, the Sea of Green Thingy, and other stuff

Postby DTS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: Didn't you mention getting back to regulars on this site about your visit to the doctor on the 27th? (If you changed your mind and said so here, I missed it). I remain, Waiting for News (and Godot), DTS (AKA, mom)

SEMI: As one who posted as "The Shadow" (or something like that) and helped get another wave of donations started here in the "musing" pavilion ages ago, regarding the sea of green: I'll be happy to chip in when an address is supplied (and the person helped in that last push paid back everyone who asked, so it wasn't charity).

ALL: I know it might be waaaay slow as regards reviews and recognition sent out via internet/ether region/online/worldwideweb devices these days, but if you haven't listened to the last (and latest) album by Pink -- "Funhouse," 2008 -- ya gotta do so. Even singer/songwriters that I enjoy without reserve (buying _all_ of their albums) like Springsteen, Joe Ely, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Nelly McKay, Kate Bush, Neko Case -- don't always put out an album that is absolutely dynamite from start to finish. In the case of Pink's last album, she did jus that. Great album: _every_ song (even the end one with some rap -- listening Frank? -- inserted in the latter half of the tune)! "Funhouse" is just good enough for me to forget the stupid/silly stuff Pink does when appearing in public (some of which was recorded for posterity by HE in his terrific essay, "Infamy: The New Fame").

Cheers,
DTS

DTS

Pink P.S.

Postby DTS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Name: DTS
Meant to mention that her album and...her donation of 250 Gs for for victims of Black Saturday here in the state of Victoria (Australia) were enough to make me forget her silly, infamous acts. Even though she has a lot of money (and will get more from her tour), it was still a generous act.
--DTS (absenting himself for a few days)

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Name: Alan Coil

SEMI-WRITER

You have paid into a fund, in one way or another, that helps provide for people who need an assist. You are entitled to use that fund to male sure your level of living doesn't deteriorate to the point where your health and/or well-being is affected. Millions of people have used those funds to help their lives improve--you should, too.

Is it a faux pride that prevents you from asking for assistance? Is it an arrogance? In the 1980s, I was on unemployment for months. I wasn't happy about it, but it was better than starving or losing my home.

You are/will be paying into the Social Security fund. We all so. Are you also going to refuse to take your Social Security payments when the time comes? I surely am not. It is something to which I, and we, are entitled.

Don't be afraid to ask for a hand. We are our Brother's and Sister's keepers.

And if the thought still brings bile to your mouth, try to think of it as a loan. Keep track of all that you receive, and repay it when financial times are better. Repay it to the government body that assists you, or donate it to a charity.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:24 pm

Name: Frank Church
Dorman, been hip to Pink for years. Her song, Mr. President was great, actually great social commentary--for a pop song. It does help when the Indigo Girls write the thing.

Pink can be foolish as many celebrities are, but she is a very talented soul singer. Her live singing voice is amazing.

In the forum I will post one.

Prince, what about Prince, Dorman. He is our single greatest song writer--Dorman!! lol

I'm outing FinderDoug, who loves Prince as much as I do.

-------------

Josh, are you a part of the creative coalition?

Ben

This should officially be called the Decade of Suck

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Name: Ben Winfield
Economic meltdowns. Terrorist attacks. SARS. Swine flu. Bird flu. Cat flu. Dolphin flu. Aardvark flu. George Lucas flu.

What's next, frogs and locusts? If you're going to kill me, just get it over with, for fuck's sake. It's like being taunted day and night by the Kindergarten version of Nostradamus. "You're all gonna die, you're all gonna die, nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah."

Could the media PLEASE stop terrorizing us 24/7? Is it even remotely possible for them to focus on problems that REALLY need to be solved? Africa? North Korea? Come on, people. Enough.

There, I feel better.

shagin

Postby shagin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Name: shagin
I believe tomorrow is the day for Harlan's biopsy. Apologies if I'm wrong...

HARLAN: Take care of yourself.

SUSAN: Take care of yourself as well. It's not easy being on the outside of a procedure, either.

Sandra

John Kissane

Postby John Kissane » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Name: John Kissane
Michael Mayhew,

I too read and enjoyed Chris Adrian's piece. I'd argue, though, that The New Yorker's fiction is deeper and richer than people often claim. The magazine has published Stephen King, T.C. Boyle, Haruki Murakami, Roberto Bolano, Dave Eggers, and other writers of strange, fine fiction; none of those authors is known for his academic satires or stories of minor domestic turmoil. As an Ellison admirer, I'd find his inclusion not at all a departure from The New Yorker's high standards and keen eyes.

William Sherman

The End of Days

Postby William Sherman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

To Mr. Winfield: I couldn't agree more with your cogent observation, especially as relates to the cacophony into which talk radio has degenerated.

Yet today, I walked outside into brilliant sunshine, which warmed the air to a very un-New England-like (for April) 78 degrees F. My mother's cancer still remits. The Boston Red Sox completed a three-game sweep of the New York Yankees. Most wonderfully, my nine-year-old niece wants to read some of Uncle Billy's books over this summer. Might be a bit early for my Ellison collection, or my Sturgeon, but not some of my Asimov children's works.

The Apocalypse is at hand, yes, but not today. When I find myself in such a funk, though, I remember my grandfathers' stories about France, Germany, and Czechoslovakia at the end of WW II, or great-uncle Bill's exploits from Tarawa, to Saipan, to Iwo Jima, or great-uncle Jay's sitting on a transport in Leyete Gulf watching kamikazes strike aircraft carriers and set men afire. Or Dr. Finkenthal's Marine regiment marching from the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea in -20F cold while dodging sniper fire from Chinese troops commanding surrounding heights. Problems shrink into insignificance, then.

On a lighter note, found one of my 1986 copies of "The Twilight Zone" magazine, with the published copy of our dear host's teleplay "Paladin of the Lost Hour". Re-read it again: just a beautiful story. Made me find my VHS tape with that episode of the revived T.V. series from 1986. Watched it, and the revived "A Game of Pool" by George Clayton Thomas (with Mr. Thomas's preferred ending, in which Jesse loses). The former riveted, especially Danny Kaye's performance. Hope's out there, just hiding creatively.

Regards from Red Sox Nation,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

To Save Mr. Ellison a Rant Before His Buy-op-see

Postby William Sherman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Name: William Sherman
Pardon the double post:

"A Game of Pool", by George Clayton JOHNSON. (Must lose the stupid pills.)

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Name: diane bartels
Hi, guys. I'm home. Jet lag has faded, and I am settling in home. I had a great time. Thanks to Harlan Susan and Josh and the people at the New Beverly. I had a wonderful time.
I add my voice to the chorus of aid for Semi. Please let me know the what, where, when, in as specific terms as possible, because I am not internet savvy in any way shape or form.
Harlan, I came home and reread a lot of your stories. God, you can write. If I didn't admire you so much, I'd be green with envy. Take of yourself. And thank you. Love, all, Diane

Dennis C

Robin Williams

Postby Dennis C » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Name: Dennis C
Harlan:
Please do let us know how the biopsy goes since we do worry -- but we also understand that test results take a while.

Having now seen and enjoyed (immensely) DWST twice (at the WGA and the New Bev), I just wondered if there was a story behind you and Robin Williams meeting for the first time. Did you know you were kindred souls right away? I was unaware of your friendship until I saw the film.
also: how is he doing since his surgery?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”