Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

KOS

And in the days of Harlan Ellison, of sand and glass,

Postby KOS » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:53 pm

Name: KOS
Source: unca20090603.htm
It came to pass that a mighty sound uttered forth from the wilderness, and it was heard to be good.

P'haps a PayPal account could be opened for those who are more confortable sending a buck or five with the click of a mouse?

I actually have an inactive account, a backup for my main one in case ever it were to be needed. I can change the name to "webderland Emergency Fund" or somesuchlike, and post the account name here.

Just an idea, I get them from Schenectady, little place just down the street from the Story Store that Harlan often refers to. Great little place, with an Tannu Tuvan themed deli catacorner across the boulevard. Their Pressed Yak Hoagies are T'DieFor.

KOS

KOS

shagin

Postby shagin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Name: shagin
HALLELUJAH and pass the stamps!

Alan

u.s.a.

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:51 pm

Name: alan
Hallelujah!

Duane

Postby Duane » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Name: Duane
Halle-Freakin'-lUUUUUUUgah!

Dennis Thompson

HALLELUJAH!

Postby Dennis Thompson » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Name: Dennis Thompson
Just waiting for the address.

Site Admin

Logical-istics

Postby Moderator » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Amen, brutha. Count me in.

Who has the collection plate, and how do we get checks to "Semi-writer" cashed?

Dennis C

Count me in

Postby Dennis C » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 pm

Name: Dennis C
Just say where and when -- and I'm sure there are plenty more out there who just haven't signed in yet

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
At the risk of getting my knuckles rapped for double posting...

Hallelujah, and count me in. Semi, just let us know where to send the checks.

Semi-Writer

Insert gobsmacked OMG...

Postby Semi-Writer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
The situation as described earlier has altered over the past seven hours. There is a used car dealership on Van Nuys INSANE enough to sell me a car, and a bank DELUSIONAL enough to finance me for this purpose. Bottom line: I'm selling them my used vehicle, they're paying off the remainder of my car loan on that truck, then digging me a slightly bigger debt grave for the used car. In fact, I must leave now and sign the paperwork today--the ol' "quick, get her before she changes her mind!" Which is fine; I can be suckered so long as I see that I'm being suckered.

This is a good lesson to all--keep your credit report lookin' nice, 'cause even unemployed schmucks can find help. (Oh, and note to CA drivers: registration fees are going up next month.)

I have been brought to my belly by the offers of generosity and held in awe by everyone. And know that I am not one to either grab-'n-go with any cash nor do the aw-shucks-I-couldn't-possibly foot shuffle. Though unemployed for almost two years, I have refused to take food stamps, California unemployment funds, Social Security or other forms of public assistance. This is due to a (delusional?) level of pride and honor.

And this is where I CAN come here and absolutely, positively step back into this arena to refuse money of any kind from this generous and intellectual crowd! By no means will I ask others to take on any aspects of my debt burden.

And just because I hate to give anyone the wrong impression in this greedy world we live in... Harlan and all, please know that I was not spilling here for the sympathy trip or moneygrubbing--I was just spilling. I am available and hereby offering my assistance to anyone that needs it at (almost) any time. Need a ride to the airport? Put me in your iPhone. Need something picked up in Riverside and driven to Encino? I'll do it. Need something typed up on the computer? 90 WPM, yo. I shall be your Pavilion gopher.

In my day of stress, I can't even begin to express the unexpected level of generosity that was put forth. I was just spilling, though--in the greedy times we live in, I just want to make it clear that I was not pandering for sympathy or for cash. Just spilling.

Tom

HALLELUJAH!

Postby Tom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Name: Tom Morgan
Harlan,
I also have a PayPal account, which is active and which I have used in the past to help your fans around the world order from and/or pay dues to the HERC. People put money in my account and I send Susan certified checks. I will gladly extend this service for this cause. Susan can vouch that it works. Let me know.
Arlo Guthrie is a guest on this week's Prairie Home Companion. He of course sings, including a pretty good cover of St. James Infirmary, but Garrison also works him into a skit where he plays Woody Guthrie's unknown Republican son. Pretty funny stuff.

A good day to all here, in particular those who have struggled with the @$^#*%^?*! California Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

Kris(ten) L. Homyk

Postby Kris(ten) L. Homyk » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:32 pm

Name: Kris(ten) L. Homyk
Mr. Ellison and all:

I met Harlan Ellison in 2000 when he came to AggieCon in College Station. I was the law student in line behind the (inevitable) guy who had 300 items to sign. Harlan sang "Pennies From Heaven," and then when I had the nerve (NERVE!) to chastise him for not signing country music while in Texas, he sang a country song to me! TO me! My meeting-Harlan-Ellison story is terribly incomplete, because my shock that Harlan Ellison was singing to me caused my failure to form a memory around the song he sang. Chances that HE remembers the "ball-breaking" law student or the song he sang to her? Slim-to-none, as he meets a lot of people. Chances someone else attended one of HE's few appearances in Texas and witnessed this moment in the autograph line? Let me know if you do.

William Sherman

Hallelujah!

Postby William Sherman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Absolutely. Hallelujah. For backstory, a few days ago, I hit a trifecta at Gulfstream for a few hundred. Glad to gift "Semi-writer" a C-note should the need arise. Better than donating to my alma mater so that it may buy more real estate in Cambridge.

We Irish are funny about this. Believe that the good fortune, when spread, comes back someday, when needed.

Hope all's well on the health front, Mr. E.

Regards from Red Sox Nation (final: Sox 16, Yankees, 11),

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

JasonDavis

AggieCon

Postby JasonDavis » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:45 pm

Name: Jason Davis
Hi Kris,

I too, was at AggieCon in 2000. I dimly recall Harlan singing during one of the autograph sessions, but I don't recall the nature of the song.

Funnily enough, he borrowed my friend's copy of Mind Fields to read a story when he inquired with Susan and discovered she'd sold the last copy a few minutes earlier. To this day, said friend points out that not only is his book signed, but that it has been publicly fondled by the author.

Michael Mayhew

Hallelujah!

Postby Michael Mayhew » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Name: Michael Mayhew
I'm in. Point me towards the appropriate address or Paypal account.

Semi - During the first decade that I lived in LA, I relied on mom and dad for loans. A lot. I was lucky. Lucky that I had family that I could rely on. Lucky that dad made enough that I use them as a safety net LONG after I should have.

I eventually paid back all the loans (but never did, never could repay all the outright gifts and the covering of college tuition). I read your story and kept my yap shut because every hardship story I've got I knew that, if the shit got really deep, if the fires got really hot, if my pride finally gave out under the onslaught, I could have crawled back to mom and dad and they would have found a way to help me. I was lucky.

You don't have my luck in that way. But as HE correctly points out, you do have this family here. Don't let your pride get in the way of your sense. Take what is offered, and then go make the very most of it. In sum, let me share my luck with you.

Semi-Writer

Money makes the world... a miserable place...

Postby Semi-Writer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:49 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Update: I now have a new/used Beetle that is being registered here in the State of California. All that's left is to get a new driver's license and I'll be a legal Californian.

There are only three real problems with this whole purchase. One, the dealership ran my already-overburdened credit card for the down payment (which I didn't realize was in that much distress, so now I have to go back Sunday morning with a different one). Two, the bank's call is still pending and doom-and-gloom paranoia hovers in my head over this whole deal. And three, regular ol' money for rent and food and living expenses is nonexistent.

But the IMPORTANT thing is that I am here in California just a little bit longer!

Clinging to the dream with both hands... er, what's that nibbling going on along my fingertips?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”