Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

john zeock

book

Postby john zeock » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Name: john zeock
Source: unca20090603.htm
Harlan-Marcus out media mail tomorrow. Got free. Congrats on tale. Had haemoglobin at 6 back in 1991 and survived. Was at doctor at 10 am; in hospital at 1 pm. Good luck tomorrow. John.

Semi-Writer

FYI Received.

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
In regards to the remarks below, I have but one reserved comment: thank you for sharing this personal information. (Particularly when you have to deal with this infernal, infuriating computer inter-web technology and the sometimes questionable minds that share it.)

shagin

Postby shagin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Name: shagin
HARLAN: Warm fuzzies heading your way.

SUSAN: You must be the Easter Bunny because RH #48 was waiting for me when we made it home.

AT-C: Congratulations!

We made it home from NorWesCon about 2 hours ago. This was hubby's first convention as a merchant in the Dealer's Room. I am very proud of him for chasing his dream and making it a reality. Even if he, in his own words, doesn't "last more than three years or so" he did it.

I put two stories in for the Fairwood Writers' Group critique sessions. The first, a story I felt needed a good scrubbing, was given just that and I feel it will be all the better for it. The second, a story I thought was polished, taken in new direction with a level of depth, even rejected with positive comments, was held down and sodomized with a chainsaw. One critiquer was helpful enough to tell me the reactions when he showed the story to two magazine editors; another mentioned that as a psychotherapist and an editor he found the story disinteresting and boring.

Ouch...

But, as I've said before, I don't want someone to tell me they "like" my writing. I want feedback, I want to learn. I just wish they would either kiss me first or at least give me a wipe and a suppository to soothe my battered ass.

So, I'll sit on the comments, mull them over, and see what works for me. And thanks to Steve and Sara for putting up with my rant.

What is "the conceit of a story"?

shagin

Michael Mayhew

conceit of a story

Postby Michael Mayhew » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm

Name: Michael Mayhew
Shagin-

Many others here can probably explain this better, but my understanding of a story conceit is that it is the interesting idea that animates the tale.

So for example, in "Repent, Harlequin..." the story conceit is a world where it is a crime to be late, punishable by having the very minutes of your life taken away from you.

Hope that helps,

MM

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:55 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Harlan,
Hope and positive thoughts headed your way. May the prognosis be positive.

Chuck

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:15 am

Name: FinderDoug
Harlan - Rising from silent running to periscope depth to send best wishes for speedy recoveries and gentle procedures.

I dislike the word transfusion. I suspect this is one of those moments when you'd look upon me with those eyes of quiet wonder and reply, "No shit."

Write and fight, bunkie. I gots tall tales to tell ya on the flip side.

William Sherman

Bon Chance.

Postby William Sherman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:13 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison:

Good luck. Considering how much "blood" the various studios and copyright violators have phlebotomized from you, a wonder that your "crit" isn't down to 0.1.

In my morning prayers to, I hope, someone who may be listening upstairs.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Barney Dannelke

Okay, if you're absolutely sure you're not menstruating...

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan *** What Doug and the others - but always, particularly what Doug said.

Best wishes and rise above - Barney

ps. - Susan, the newest Rabbit Hole arrived at the new address three or four days ago. Another not so quiet wonder. Terrific job as always

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:06 am

Name: Charlie
Harlan, You're one helluva fighter and I'm certain all will be well. All my best.

Adam-Troy

Just Sayin'

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:18 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Had various fripperies and drolleries to pass on today, plus a time-wasting question or two, an inquiry of personal availability as Nebula weekend approacheth, and a rant about nothing of any real importance, but will under the circumstances limit this visit to a simple, "Take care of yourself." (Directed at Harlan, but hey, the rest of you can consider the sentiment universal, unencumbered by asterisks of exemption.)

Brian Phillips

News replies

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:49 am

Name: Brian Phillips
I have been away from the board for a while. Glad to hear the news about the Weins and even though it is a repeat of many of my previous posts, my prayers are with you and Susan, as always.

Brian Phillips

Kevin Avery

Congrats

Postby Kevin Avery » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:53 am

Name: Kevin Avery
Harlan, congratulations re "How Interesting: A Tiny Man." I look forward to reading it wherever it lands.

Sending you nothing but good thoughts...

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:17 am

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN/SUSAN: If you need rides around town or errands run, you have the number. Do not hesitate even a fraction of a second to use it. (We local Blue Monkeys are here to help.)

And tell them stiffs at Cedars to use the High Octane stuff.

Ray Carlson

Health Concerns

Postby Ray Carlson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:06 am

Name: Ray Carlson
Unca Harlan,

My thoughts are with you today. Best wishes for a positive outcome.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 am

Name: Frank Church
Harlan, don't worry man-- they will spit shine you up good and you will be brand new, like that car Christine...

Er, bad analogy.

Just stay well. Lotsa love.

-------------

Semi-writer, there's a good BreakRoomLive with Janeane Garofalo. Look for it. Did I tell you I am madly in love with her?

-------------

Books you will not see:

Harry Potter and the Islamo-fascists.

A sequel to Little Women. This time the girls live in a condo and they are lesbians.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 200 Years Of Boredom.

Steve King's new opus, Dick of Death. A large, angry penis confronts a group of college students at a ramshackle, rustic Inn.

Chris Hitchens: God Better Buy Me Lunch.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”