Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

John Hudgens

Len Wein

Postby John Hudgens » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Name: John Hudgens
Source: unca20090603.htm
Also sending many happy thoughts to Len & Christine - they've been great friends for the last few years, and I hate that something like this happened to them. Those of you in the area, please let them know we're all thinking of them!

fc

Postby fc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Name: fc
The beast shows no mercy, the beast has a heart of eternal ice. The beast takes the phone off the hook when the gulls are screaming.

Much love to the Weins.

shagin

Postby shagin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:38 pm

Name: shagin
HARLAN & SUSAN - Please let us know how we can help, whether by spreading the word or sowing some green. Hubby's family lost damn near everything but their lives in a house fire round abouts 15 years ago and the memory lingers still.

shagin

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm

Name: DIANE BARTELS
Dear Harlan and Susan,

I'm so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. We had a bad fire when I was 11; I lost my birds and my dad a tank of tropical fish, all of whom were loved enough to have names. I can't imagine the pain of losing their dog. They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

This is a serious offer; because of a recent influx of cash from a annuity, I find myself flush with some dough. If a gift or loan of a couple hundred dollars would help your friends resettle or cope, please just let me know. Let me know a good address to send it, and to whom to make it out via this Website, as I can check here from any computer not just my sis's E-mail. But her email is okay too, though maybe slower. I know what loss and sadness feel like and if I can ease same, it would be my great pleasure.
Robert Ross, some time we should compare medical notes. Sounds like a blast, huh? NOT!!!. Glad you continue in good spirits.

Be well, all
Diane

Jordan Owen

Postby Jordan Owen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Name: Jordan Owen
My best wishes for the Wein family.

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Dept. Of Redundancy Dept. *** I know what I wrote. You - and everyone else on the internet - has my email.

Regards - Barney Dannelke

Lea Hernandez

Another Comicker, Been Through a Fire, Too

Postby Lea Hernandez » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:58 pm

Name: Lea Hernandez
Harlan, please pass along my best wishes to Len and Chris and Michael. Len and Chris are wonderful people, and always most kind to me. I am just stunned this has happened, but so glad Lean, Chris and Michael are okay.
My house burnt down about two-and-a-half years ago. The pets inside all perished, and I lost irreplaceable art (not all my own), books, pictures. Their disaster would stir my heart regardless, but I am keenly aware of what this kind of loss means, and how overwhelming it is.
I've negotiated the fire recovery process, emotionally and materially, and would be glad to talk to them. Isolation is one of the acute side effects of a house fire. They don't have to be alone.

Shane Shellenbarger

Len & Chris

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:11 pm

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
Harlan: If there is anything I can do for Len & Chris, physically or fiscally, please call.

Susan: RH #48 has arrived in Phoenix. Thank you for you herculian efforts on our behalf.

Best,
Shane

DTS

mail for Harlan...and the Wein family

Postby DTS » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: Had some more pressing matters that have distracted -- applications for VISAS, etc -- so the promised manilla envelope (with a couple goodies and my phone number) will actually arrive _next_ week, as it wont actually be mailed till tomorrow.

Regarding LEN WEIN & FAMILY: As have others on the board, I wish them well and send my condolences for the loss of their beloved pet...and their home, and all the cherished possessions. Hope it doesn't sound cold to say this -- I've a dog that I've come to adore as much as Harlan did Ahbhu -- but, I'm very glad that the family made it out of the house unharmed. After reading about the horrors of Black Saturday --and seeing some of it from a distance, seeing the photos of the victims in newspapers the day after -- during which entire families were lost to one of Victoria's worst brush fire seasons (if not _the_ worst), it's good to learn that the Wein family escaped with their lives.

-DTS

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
Harlan: Terrible news. Please let Len Wein and his family know they're in all our thoughts and have our sympathies and best wishes. And please let us know how we can help.

Dennis C

Len Wein

Postby Dennis C » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Name: Dennis C
Can we do some kind of fundraiser for Len and his family? Do they need to be put up somewhere or store stuff somewhere? We'll all help as much as we can...

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THE CURRENT SITUATION RE CHRIS VALADA & LEN W

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Debacle. Nothing left of the master bedroom. Open to the sky. Len is a genuine hero: Chris was at work when a power surge apparently went through the electrical system of the house, shorting out a wall heater that had been in place in the bathroom since the house was built...an appurtenance no one even paid any attention to: it was invisible, like a countertop. But it sparked, caught fire, and the fire caught on towels, curtains, bathroom mat, magazines on the hamper, clothes, and raced up the walls and across the ceiling, into the hall, and into the bedroom where Len lay asleep. Michael, Chris's son, was dead asleep in the loft of the small bedroom.

Len woke and managed to duck under the flames that were crowning. He found pants and got to Michael and dragged him awake, and they rushed out of the house. Sheba ran with them, but then, she wanted to hide, and hiding was what she did in the bathroom, so she ran back inside, was trapped in the flaming bathroom, and was overcome by smoke, and then incinerated.

I don't feel like going through any more. This site has become WEIN CENTRAL, and here is the answer to ALL of you:

There is NOTHING you can do for Len and Chris NOW.

Their insurance company--along with four fire trucks and DWP and the police and many friends--have been there all day. Susan and I got home about 7:40 PM, and I spoke to Len about an hour ago. They're okay, more or less, if you can call cudgeled into stunned immobility "okay." They are just the way you or I would be if we'd lost everything.

The insurance will help them rebuild or buy a new house, but after the loss of Sheba, the worst part is that everything Len had accumulated in a lifetime, from books to comics, to original art to his Shazam Awards (which were melted off the wall) to the complete set of DC library hardcovers that were caught in a heat so ferocious they melted into a 40-book block...spines bright and sharp and all one plastic-melted millstone. What you can do for the creator of SWAMP THING and WOLVERINE, if you are so moved, is NOTHING at the moment. Don't bother them with well-intentioned commiserations that will only distract them. At the moment they are staunchly trying to pull it all together.

Later...SOON...but LATER...you can help enormously when Len presents a cogent list of those items that are replaceable--many were unique and are gone forever, and that's that, so he'll come to terms with it in time--but lots of it is around, some more rare than other, but possible. Hang back; just chill till Len lets us all know what he needs. I'll post it here, it'll be on Neil Gaiman's site, and Peter David's, and Mark Evanier's and on and on.

Give it a rest for a month or so, kids. Let them alone, and I'll do my best to keep you informed. But don't waste your mud with sad'n'sorrowful platitudes. It will only distract.

Needless to say, I've told them there were about 40 phone calls and posts here. They are too stunned to be grateful, but just so you know I passed the good tidings along.

GeezusPeezus, I'm tired; and I was only a day-laborer.

Harlan

shagin

Postby shagin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 pm

Name: shagin
HARLAN - I understand the exhaustion of day labor after a fire. I helped dig through the remains of hubby's house. I hope you never experience that smell again.

Be safe, take care of yourself and Susan (and, Susan, take care of yourself and Harlan). We'll be here when and if anyone needs us.

Sandra

Jordan Owen

Postby Jordan Owen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Name: Jordan Owen
The wild thing is that today I had the electrician at MY house, working on the same sort of thing. I don't want to post any more duck-billed platitudes, but it certainly gives me pause.

Well, que sera sera.
-Jordan

Scott Brick

United States

Postby Scott Brick » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Name: Scott Brick
I just about fell off my chair when I saw this news. I just discovered this site and was laughing my ass off in glee at Harlan's sticking it so effectively to Star Trek after all these years, but all my mirth came to a screeching halt when I read this awful news. When I was writing for Wizard I met Len a few times and found him to be one of the classiest guys around, and I'm just devastated to hear about their loss. If there's any kind of help I can give, I'm local. If they need help sifting through whatever's left, if that would help, seriously, I hope you'll call and I'll head over. Pretty sure you have my number, if not Stefan's got it.

God bless you and Susan for being there for them.

Best,

Scott Brick

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”