Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:56 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Source: unca20090603.htm
Halleluja, bruthas and sistahs!

Oh, and:

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES
MUSHROOM, MUSHROOM
MUSHROOM-MUSHROOM
MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!
OOOHH A SNAKE! A SNAKE OOOOOHHH A SNAAAKE!

Saw the photos Steverino! It was nice to see the event, even if vicariously. I also enjoyed the April photos and New Works, especially Water Lilly Water Colors, Hotel Stratford and Big Brother.

LOBO SEZ: LUV PURTY PITCHURS!

TIME FOR GO TO BED.

Chuck

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:20 am

Name: Douglas Harrison
Yeah, you need the money, Semi. What's the best way to get it to you?

D., whose dream nearly died

Brad Stevens

Postby Brad Stevens » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:52 am

Name: Brad Stevens
JG Ballard's last short story, "The Dying Fall", has just been published in the UK newspaper THE GUARDIAN, and can be read online here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/ap ... jg-ballard

Semi-Writer

No, no...

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:05 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Sorry to post twice in so short a time, but...

I am honestly moved to tears (and, yes, crying as we speak) by Harlan's actions. This was supposed to be his "LEAVE ME ALONE" weekend, burdened as he is with his own business and personal issues. Yet he cared enough to come online and post such a thing as he did. That is... aw, damn it. Give me a minute...

But everyone, I am astounded by the quick offers for help and very grateful that you'd think me worthy of such consideration. However, this has now moved from a situation of potentially being screwed by California to one of taking on further debt instead--a personal choice of stupidity, and no one's responsibility from here on out but mine own.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:25 am

Name: Steve Barber

It is 0-dark thirty out. 3:20am. Three items of note:

1) Thanks Chuck for the slightly Wonderlandish comments on the pics. You welcome.

2) Some time during the night Barbergallery crossed the 10K views mark, likely one o you. Thank you.

3) SEMI and others: NEVER let the dream die. NEVER.

The kettle's on the boil. Somewhere, out there, the Mojave Desert and Kelbaker Road await my camera.

(Yeah, yeah, I'm an idiot for being up this early to go take some stupid pictures of a sunrise over the desert, but some Dreams never die. Right?)

shagin

Postby shagin » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:30 am

Name: shagin
SEMI - Weren't you also saying there was a danger of losing your living space? Getting yourself legal wheels is a good first step, but we can still help take that next one. A Beetle isn't exactly the Ritz when it comes to living space.

STEVE - You, sir, are clinically whacked.

shagin

The Dreaded Slaymaker

SEMI -

Postby The Dreaded Slaymaker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:34 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
If you won't let us send the green stuff, surely there is something else we can do to help. What kind of writing are you doing? Short stories, novels, screenplays? There are a number of published writers who frequent this site besides Harlan, maybe they can help you polish or get it seen or something along those lines. I have a cousin in LA who heads an entertainment law firm and represents a number of different talents, if you think he might be able to help let me know and I'll send you his link. What about a job? Maybe someone here can hook you up, if you need something that pays better. We all want you to succeed because WE want to succeed (and some of us - not me but some others - already have).

Don't give up. Accept help and money if you need it. As you can see, we all stand ready and willing to assist.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Semi,

If you need it, you have a lot of people here, including myself who will help out in whatever meager way we can. Also, please let us know what happens at the car dealership today, I think Rick would be forgiving about relaxing the once per day posting under these circumstances

Keep the faith,

Mark

Gary Lee

HELPING OUT

Postby Gary Lee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:14 am

Name: Gary Lee
I read about the situation thats going on with Semi-Writer, and I know from experience how things can get messed up sometimes, I also know that people have to help one another when they can.

I have two cars that I drive and an older one that I use to drive, its a 1988 Chrysler two door Mark V, its runs good and is licensed and smoged for this year, its not in perfect shape and need some work on the inside and things but it does get you from on place to the next.

It really not worth a whole lot, maybe 1000? But if Semi-Writer wants it, its his, FREE, no strings, just come and get it, its not charity, just one person helping out another.

You dont have to make up your mind fast, Im not going anywhere and neither is the car, just hang in there, you got friends.

Gary.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLY TO KRIS(TEN) HOMYK

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:50 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
I am old, not senile. That was only nine years ago.

I actually sang you TWO c&w numbers:

"ASPCA" by Shel Silverstein, and "Don't Count Yer Chickens (Before They Hatch)" by I-Don't-Know-The-Writer.

Yer welcome. Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

NOTE TO GARY LEE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:04 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Hey, kiddo: Semi-Writer is a she, not a he. But what a lovely offer; she ought to consider it.

Proud of every last one of you...what a nifty bunch you are...and slinking back into the shadows with just the casual over-the-shoulder that during my AwayTime yesterday I wrote a new essay, 3000 words as Foreword to the second book of Peter David's BUT I DIGRESS columns (titled MORE DIGRESSIONS), soon to be published. It is a tripartite piece, called: PETER DAVID:
OF THEE I SING.

I'll be at the New Beverly Cinema today, around 7:30 PM, briefly. In between LOST HORIZON and the brilliant Burt Lancaster-starring, John Frankenheimer-directed b&w thriller, THE TRAIN, I will do an intermission reading of "Goodbye To All That," my peculiar LOST HORIZON-inspired fantasy. It will be my final appearance at the week I programmed, despite what the posters say.

And, as I say, I am deeply and sincerely proud of the lot'a yez.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

steveperry

Semi-Tough

Postby steveperry » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:28 am

Name: steve Perry
Semi --

You can, when you get to be rich and famous, pay it forward. The nature of a gift is that you don't need to put "free" in front of it.

Your choice -- and at least you have one.

Perry

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Frank Church
Semi is a girl? Kisses her hand.

Take the money gal. These blokes and blokettes make me dab my eyes--all three of them.

-----------

Harlan, I want to be the three eyed boy, by the organ, with the tamborine.

fc

Postby fc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 am

Name: fc
Tambourine

Kris(ten) L. Homyk

Postby Kris(ten) L. Homyk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Name: Kris(ten) L. Homyk
Harlan:

*Never* said senile. Not entirely certain I'd even say old.

With gratitude and wonder--
--KRIS

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”