Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

KOS

I abject, you're on her!

Postby KOS » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Name: KOS
Source: unca20090603.htm
Ballard wrote the one story I remember above all other short stories I read as a kid, the one about Count Axel and the magic roses that stopped time. I got the concept, allegory, meaning of it all when I read it at twelve, and did not forget.

We live to hold back the tide of night for as long as we are able. That is all we can do, and yet it is enough reason.

Today being the 110th day of the year, and the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. Some swear by, others at, I never could make heads or tails of it. Oh well.

I am willing to bet none here, save possibly Deutschland Jan (who for the longest time I assumed was a man because that is a common male name Over There, and now I seem to have contracted the impression that she is, well, a she. Sorry, love!) has ever seen the impossibly great little 1957 or so award winning German film "Die Bruecke" ("The Bridge").

I saw it on late night TV years and years ago, never have been able to find a copy or catch it again, yet have never forgotten its power. It's set in a small German village during the final days of WW2. Take any chance, should it ever cross your path, to see it.

Ditto for "Soldier of Orange", for all its aggravating little Verhoevenisms.

I would like to be there Thursday eventide, but don't drive, and Susan works late. Ah, well.

KOS

Jim W.

You Can Also Check Out Flights Into Burbank's Airport

Postby Jim W. » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Name: Jim W.
It's not always cheaper (though recently it has been), but you'll be closer and deal with a much smaller headache.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Name: Cindy
I'm bein' quiet.
:)

Semi-Writer

Postby Semi-Writer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Thanks for keepin' us in the loop. (And that's all on that subject.)

Ah, but Harlan, your mind is in fine form! "Nothing bores the feces out of me faster than "My 10 Favorite Odors" jibberjabber, whether lists of movies, tv shows, automotive years, beautiful women, virile men, or Ten Best/Favorite AnyGoddamThing."

So I take it that when the roleplaying starts, you won't be joining in on that, either? Hmmm, perhaps we'll hear from you when "the last one to post loves Harlan the most!" entries become predominant. Or when the fan art kicks in, and your head is thus attached to a variety of classic art and pop culture images. (Trust me, you have no idea how many different odd fan group rituals are out there).

Dennis C

Thursday night

Postby Dennis C » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Name: Dennis C
Any Webderlanders getting together anywhere before the screening? Haven't met any of you and would love to.

And please read Don Marquis. I just re-read "archy and mehitabel" recently and it's just so lovely, wonderful, amazing. And hey, it's short, too.

Brian Phillips

Reply to Harlan Ellison

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Name: Brian Phillips
Thank you for the reply, but M Press' site does indeed list "Harlan Ellison's Watching" at $19.95.

Here is the link:
http://www.mpressbooks.com/profile.php?prodid=13-180

It also lists for the same price on the "Sell Sheet" link. My apologies for not stating that in my original post; that is indeed amateurish.

My hope that the higher price means more money for you is genuine, not a complaint. The quality of my quacity gets kind of lo at times.

DTS

White Wolf posters and nobel nominations

Postby DTS » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: No worries, buddy. Glad ya liked them. Wish I'd kept them in better condition; they actually slipped down the side of a box of books I had in storage, in a closet at home, for a while, and were only found after I got to OZ. I'll tell Irving you liked his, um, dip, just do he doesn't feel left out (that boy works hard to please, as you can tell from the photo of him asleep with glasses on, adorning the top o' the jar). Hope Susan liked the flavor of the goodies I sent her (and if she didn't, she may pass them on to others who will). I'll let you know when Anya's package arrives (it may be at the P.O. already -- there was a holiday last week, slowed things down a bit).

REGARDING NOBEL nominations:
JOHN Z: What makes you think I _don't_ feel H.E. should get the award? Being a bit cynical, I just quit holding my breath -- after all, Twain, Tolstoy, Borges, Nabakov have been similarly overlooked (I think Salman Rushdie was given a pass because those who were considering names for nomination, or award, in a particular year thought he was too popular. Go figure).

BARNEY: Books that put Roth in contenion (in my humble opinion): GOODBYE COLUMBUS, PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT, MY LIFE AS A MAN, all of the ZUCKERMAN novels (published as ZUCKERMAN BOUND), THE COUNTERLIFE, SABBATH'S THEATER, AMERICAN PASTORAL,
(and, to a lesser extent, I MARRIED A COMMUNIST and THE HUMAN STAIN), as well as THE PLOT AGAINST AMERICA (I know Roth infamously was supposed to have said he didn't know of other novelists doing what he did with the book, but that didn't ruin the story for me -- and I enjoyed the fact that he wrote it during the shadow of the Bush years, as that administration continued its neo-fascist ways). I think it's particularly noteworthy that Roth has actually written some of his best work duruing the latter part of his life, defying the (very) common wisdom that a writer (or other creative sort) generally puts out his or her best stuff while still comparatively young. (Tell that to director Clint Eastwood).

I'm with you on Doris Lessing, regarding the readability of her prose. But I can only cop to trying to read the Shikasta books. I was buying them as they were published for a while --had first editions of all 5 books in that series, bought in my years as wildling, when books often took precedence over food (used to have several 1st edition King books that you would've killed for). Then I sold them, along with lots of others, during some semi-tough economic times during the early years of marriage (I managed to get laid off from my first KC job in telecommunications -- they were just waiting to boot me and my big mouth -- and lose a very beautiful, irreplaceable, ruby&diamond wedding ring that matched my wife's while mowing the lawn, all in one weekend while she was away, visiting a friend on the West coast. I also took a call from a mortgage company that weekend -- we were trying to get a lower mortgage rate -- saying the company went belly up, losing our $800 dollar downpayment in the process. When the wife called to see how me and our baby girl were doing, I, of course, told her everything was just fine).

(On a semi-related note: ever notice how the University of Texas in Austin -- which houses a large, Lessing archive -- has LOTS of author collections and hard-to-get books? Not the University of Boston or Harvard, but UT in Austin. They had a first edition of THE WATER-METHOD MAN by John Irving that I used to love to peek at when I was prowling the library after night classes, or after work, just to check out the cool artwork on the dustjacket: a man's mouth, about to suckle at a woman's breast if I recall correctly).

Cheers,
DTS

DTS

regarding...

Postby DTS » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Name: DTS
Regarding the "tell that to..." remark below. That should've read: Tell that to director Clint Eastwood and the ever-affable, H.E.

Cheers,
DTS

Faisal A. Qureshi

Shall I continue with my top 10 list...

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:39 pm

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
I mean, I outed myself with my top 5 (or was it 10) list of which animated female character's I'd like to sleep with. And that included the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny rabbit but there was not a peep from anyone from this admission of inter-species animated beastiality.

Maybe my next top 10 list should be of Marvel Comic character's I'd like to bang? Suggestions?

shagin

Random Bit of Ellisonia

Postby shagin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am

Name: shagin
A thought occured to me whle in the shower today...

I realized that even with the comparatively recent interest in "flash fiction" of late (stories of under 1500, 1000, or 500 words), my favorite grouping of flash, even though they are related by nothing more than titles and the talent behind them, is still "From A To Z In The Chocolate Alphabet" by Unca Harlan. Each is neatly presented, precise, and encourages the imagination.

Time for bed.

shagin

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:07 am

Name: Jan
I will read me some Marquis then -- thanks.

Hey KOS: For future reference, all Jans in Europe are male - same origin as John, Juan, Jean, Ivan, Giovanni, Johann, etc. The female branch is Johanna, Joan, Joanna, Gianna etc. Glad you had a chance to see The Bridge. It was based on an autobiographical novel by Manfred Gregor whose second book was also turned immedeately into a good film: Town Without Pity starring Kirk Douglas.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 am

Name: Steve Barber

I gave serious thought to posting a "Top Ten Things Harlan Hates" with "Stupid Top Ten Lists" being number one. I then realized that I'll be within striking distance in a couple of days and didn't want the gods to smite me on the back of the head.

Speaking of which, we'll see y'all at the New Beverly. For those of you who cannot attend, our gracious host has given me LEGAL permission to tote my Nikons and record the event for posterio...err, posterity.

And no roofcrawling prior to the event if you please, Mr. Ellison. Cedars Sinai reports they've seen quite enough of you lately without any additional ER forays down the hill.

(Cindy and/or other out-of-towners, please feel free to contact me at the above email to let me know, and also if you'd like some ideas, suggestions, etc. I'm afraid I can't peel myself away from work for the copyrighted "LaLaLand Express" tour, but I can give you a few pointers.)

I have just recently -- Sunday in fact -- rediscovered the espresso maker up in the cabinet above the refigerator. A third the volume, and twice the caffeine. Canyoutellcanyoutellcanyoutell???

Site Admin

Jan's Gender

Postby Moderator » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:27 am

Name: Steve Barber
Sorry, Jan posted while I was still composing.

Despite the fact he is known to wear dresses upon occasion, Jan is a dude. Looks quite dashing in a suit and tie. There are pics of him being all casual-like at Pink's on my website under "Friends of Ellison".

(That "like" was for Mr. Ellison's benefit. It was number three on my list.)

Robert Ross

My Ten Favorite Odors

Postby Robert Ross » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:39 am

Name: Robert Ross
1. Tea Tree Oil.

2. Napalm in the morning.

3. That smell ... you know the one ...

Okay, okay, not funny.

BrianSiano

Warner's Vaults are Open

Postby BrianSiano » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:29 am

Name: Brian Siano
Slate has an article (http://www.slate.com/id/2216522/) about a new service from Warner Brothers: they'll burn you a DVD-R of a movive that hasn't had a real DVD release. They've got a lot of movies for which they see no great groundswell of demand, which means they're not likely to press and distribute thousands of DVDs of them. BUT, there are people who'll want to see-- to take an example from the article-- "the Ruby Keeler/Dick Powell musicals that Busby Berkeley _didn't_ make."

So, for twenty bucks, you can get some obscure films, like _The Adventures of Mark Twain_ or _Countdown_ or Steve McQueen's _An Enemy of the People_ or Coppoloa's _The Rain People_.

The archive's at http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/AR ... lt,sc.html.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”