Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
Source: unca20090603.htm
Rabbit Hole #48 was received yesterday here in New Jersey. You know it's Ellison when even the page numbers can make you smile.

As always, Susan, thank you for all that you do.

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:31 am

Name: Roger Gjovig
RH#48 received in Iowa on Thursday. Thanks for the terrific effort on puting it together Susan.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
I'm feeling a bit puckish today.

I was feeling peckish, but then I had lunch, so now I'm just puckish.

...My husband, he used to be the concierge. But he's dead now. So now I'm the concierge...

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:16 am

Name: Duane
#48 arrived in my PO Box yesterday, in its nondescript plain brown wrapper, as is the custom with such mailings. A considerable amount of heft in this one. Good work!

(Of course, as I flipped through the pages, I grew more and more confused over what particular edition of the RH it was... 397? 5.2? Smiley Face?... Pi? ;) )

And please allow me to quote and comment:

"PAY ME and pay off all the other writers from whom you've made hundreds of thousands of millions of dollars...from OUR labors...just so you can float your fat asses in warm Bahamian waters."

There is a 24 karat gold plate somewhere who's destiny it is to have the above transcribed in flourishing script upon it so it can be mounted above the WGAw's doorway as a mission statement.

You know, in case anyone in that office has forgotten.

ps. Ezra, I'm 100% meat, baby.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:18 am

Name: Josh Olson
DTS,

Things ARE broken. Things are ALWAYS broken. And one day, the sun will engulf the planet and we'll either be here to be snuffed out, or we'll have already done the job ourselves. Doom is built into the matrix, and you really only have two options - let it get to you, or do not let it get you.

The Utopia that drives the good among us to fight on will never come to be. We may not even get close. But it's the struggle that makes us human and makes life worth living. I get as homicidally enraged and as hopelessly depressed as anyone else at the state of things, and I throw up my hands constantly. The stupid outnumber us a million to one. Thugs still rule the world. The worst thing about the disease is not that it's terminal, it's that it's us. Bill Hicks said humanity is a virus with shoes.

So you can blow your brains out over the inevitability of failure, or you can embrace whatever you find that is good and right and hopeful and temporary, and if you stave off the darkness for a minute, you've done your part.

And hell, you can do both. Because while it's true that the stupidity and ugliness of the Limbaughs will inevitably contribute to our destruction, it's also true that Rush will one day die in a puddle of his own putrid mess, a lonely, ugly man whose millions cannot cure his self-loathing. You may see that as hopeless, but I choose to revel in it. If the bad outnumber the good, than more of them will get it in the end. Yee ha.

The fight is rigged. You knew that when you got in the ring. The only people who give up are the ones who thought they could actually win. I'd rather go out like Rocky than Abbie Hoffman.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:26 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
When I read the last line of Josh's post, I suddenly hear Leonard Cohen's song "Everybody Knows" which, if you don't know Leonard Cohen or his works, you just definitely purchase immediately

Susan and Harlan, RH #48 arrived in the Great White North yesterday. Thanks, that was a great issue

Mark

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FLYING BLUE MONKEY ALERT #3441stroke66

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:37 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Jan, our spectacular Finder in the EU, has located, bought, and posted to us, a large box of treasures: foreign-language magazines and books including my works. Of the 18 in the box, 9 were new to us, and most of them are too old even to think about pursuing payment. Those publishers are, for the most part, nothing more than a memory in the wind.

But we still need to know exact (or as close to exact as we can ascertain) month and year of publication, for the archive, for the Boston U. repository, and for Tim Richmond's forthcoming FINGERPRINTS ON THE SKY.

I seek your computer-whiz smarts. We've gone as far as we cleverly can, Susan and I, on a few of them; and over the next week or so, we will post the few we cannot track. Would you, if you have the spare moments, and it won't discommode you overly, take a run at gettting us month and year?

The first one is:

LUTHER'S GRUSEL MAGAZIN. German. Issue #18. No date, but clues lead us to A)1976-77 or (a bookseller's guess, not reliable, I think) B) circa 1980. The publisher AFTER issue 15 was Anne Erber Verlag; this issue features H. Warner Munn's old horror story, "The Werewolf of Ponkert"; and reprints my 1968 story,
"!The!!Teddy!!!Crazy!!Show!" originally published in Adam magazine, and then included in STALKING THE NIGHTMARE, whence (I'm presuming) someone saw it, read it, pilfered it, and sold it--sans my copyright or permission--to Luther's GRUSEL Magazin.

There are a few other minor bits of data we've gotten passim the actual copy of the paperback magazine Jan sent us, and off the web as best we know how to juggle it...but none of them, I think, are salient for this mouse hunt.

What we need is simple: month and year of issue #18. All the rest you can keep to yourself. Guesses from inferences are cute but we've narrowed thos down, so save 'em. We need real data. Anyone able to do this will win the coveted Flying Blue Monkey Attack Force "fur-lined banana" Award. I thank you.

Commodore YrPalMe

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:11 am

Name: Jan
Glad the box arrived and hope you & Susan didn't have any trouble as I forgot to put on a customs sticker (was too busy worrying about weight). I'm sorry you didn't get compensated etc. for some books, but as long as you see the bright side of things, so should we. If you need any assistance, no problem. I have not sent the eight or so remaining German ones yet. Just checked Ebay - let me know if you happen to be interested in any of these to be included. (see below) That reminds me I never mentioned the Italian edition of IO, ROBOT to you because in Italy it wasn't mentioned to me. Consider it mentioned.

Italian edition of Final Stage (Malzberg)
http://cgi.ebay.de/OSCAR-MONDADORI-FANT ... 0299741682
Italian Best of Fantasy 1986/7 (Saha) with "Paladin"
http://cgi.ebay.it/FANTASY-ARMENIA-Il-M ... 0255684570
French edition of a Malzberg thing about future crime with "Whipped Dogs"
http://cgi.ebay.de/Lassassin-habite-au- ... 0284902911
Italian Future Kin edited by Elwood plus supplemental stories
http://cgi.ebay.de/Malzberg-Oliver-PROV ... 0288057902
Italian edition of The New Tomorrows (Spinrad) with "Pennies"
http://cgi.ebay.de/Cristalli-di-Futuro- ... 0374841961
French Univers 01 paperback (1975)
http://cgi.ebay.de/UNIVERS-01-Jai-Lu-Va ... 0374667335
French Galaxie magazines (1960s/70s) like #87
http://cgi.ebay.de/Revue-GALAXIE-N-87-H ... 0152556231

Robert Ross

JOSH OLSON

Postby Robert Ross » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:22 am

Name: Robert Ross
Well, sir, what you wrote really got to me.

T.S. Eliot said "we fight rather to keep something alive than in the expectation that it will triumph."

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 15 months ago.

The fight is rigged.

But I fight anyway.

Today has been a bear (as Harlan says).

Your words, Mr. Olson, sustain me.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:16 am

I was composing my list while you posted, Harlan. I can look up all the German info you need - it's easy for me for obvious reasons.

Several issues have a story of yours, not only #18, which you have.
#16:
http://cgi.ebay.de/GRUSEL-MAGAZIN-Nr-16 ... 0187804283
#16 and 18 (last issue) are both from 1976.

Nr.16 has "Planet der Telepathen" (Planet of the telepaths)
Will get this for 5 EUR from Austria unless stopped.
Nr.7 has "Sterben ohne Ende" (Dying without end)
Nr.9 has "Der Felsengott" (Rock God)
(The magazine ran from April/May 1972 to 1976. The first ten or so issues were monthlies, issues 8-plus came out bi-monthly, so an educated guess would be 1973.)

Wolfhart Luther-Verlag in Baden-Baden (early issues) (dissolved in 1982)
Anne Eber-Verlag in Sasbachwalden (later issues, like you said)

Also paperbacks:
Luther's Grusel + Horror-Cabinet
Nr.13 - 1973 - "Mein ist die Rache" (Revenge is Mine) and "Nachwache" (Night Watch) plus stories by others
Nr.14 - 1973 - "Die letzte Trophe" (Final Trophy), "Ein Fremder in Utopia" (A Stranger in Utopia), "Leb wohl, kleiner Freund" (Farewell, Little Friend) plus stories by others

Wolfhart Luther-Verlag
or Erber + Luther Verlagsgesellschaft (different name)

There are pictures and lists of contents if you click around here:
http://www.drmorton.de/books.htm (click on magazine logo and find the issue)

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:35 am

Name: Tony Ravenscroft
Our hearts go out to Len Wein & family. Wein has repeatedly been a significant force in giving me hope for the best that the medium has to offer.

Robert Ross: I've been discussing the idea to start a new Lit'ry magazine for some years, that features stories actually worth reading, rather than to stroke the ego of readers needing to feel Lit'ry. The working title is _Siddown, Shaddap, I Got Something to Tell Ya_. Naturally, our best thought is to bribe The Ellison to add his imprimateur, in exchange for a bigger pittance than the rest of us, & the right to say whatever he wants in each issue to any length, & the right to foist a deserving story per issue upon us (whether by himself or a designated worthy). Thus far, the only thing that's stopped us is the sheer insanity of founding a magazine in the BEST of times. But it's a cool idea, & looks like it'd have MAYBE a couple thousand subscribers. If you suffer a traumatic head injury & want to run with this, lemme know if I can offer any of our notated beer-coasters.

Steve Barber (& c.): I've been noting a rising thread (not yet a current) of RightWingnuts (to differentiate from honest Conservatives) who're trying to paint Liberalism as a Commie mind-control cult rather than just The Loyal Opposition. At a fast browse of topmost Amazon.com, & ignoring (as ever) Andy Coulter, I note
-- The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness
-- Speechless: Silencing the Christians: How Liberals & Homosexual Activists are Outlawing Christianity (and Judaism) to Force Their Sexual Agenda on America **
-- Jimmy Carter: The Liberal Left & World Chaos: A Carter/Obama Plan That Will Not Work
-- Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us ... and What to Do About It
-- Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Change ***

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 am

Some additions before I stop (and thanks, Iain):
Make that Luther's Grusel Magazin 8, not 7. You're in 8.
Editor was Werner Star.
Original title of story in Nr.16 is "Blind Lightning".
Forget about publication months - be glad you have the years.
Original titles of stories in Luther's Grusel + Horror Cabinet 13 are Night Vigil, Satan is My Ally (transl. Ernst Heyda, Hella Unruh)
Original titles of stories in Luther's Grusel + Horror Cabinet 14 are The Prowler in the City..., Tiny Ally, Final Trophy (same translators)
The latter two edited by Wolfhart Luther.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

SLAYMAKER:

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:35 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Boids. Fil'ty stinkin' boids.

he

David Jessup

Postby David Jessup » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:36 am

Name: David Jessup
Praise be for the safe arrival of RH 48 in Rochester (and spreading along the East Coast, I'll bet).

The bonus Eva-Tone soundsheet with the NBC-Red aircheck of Glenn Miller and His Orchestra performing "Six Lessons From Madame LaZonga" is most appreciated.

All best - Dave J

(And a serious PS: our best wishes to Len Wein & all, from one-time & long-ago dinner companions.)

Phil Nichols

Jan's link for German publications

Postby Phil Nichols » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:21 pm

Name: Phil Nichols
If it helps any, the following web address will give you an automated English translation of the German Dr Morton site referred to by Jan:

http://tinyurl.com/cco39t

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”