Pavilion Digest: April 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: April 2009

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:02 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of April 2009.

Jack Skillingstead

Postby Jack Skillingstead » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:02 am

Name: Jack Skillingstead
Source: unca20090603.htm
Anyway -- you're welcome, Harlan.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:30 am

Name: Frank Church
Humanity is getting better and I will plug my ears when the wind comes whipping off the pond.

In a 1963 poll, whites were asked if blacks had equal rights to whites in most things. Around 67 percent of the whites in 19 fucking 63 said yes, blacks have equal rights in America. Whites today would think that poll was crazy.

We had many deaths during the twentieth century, but many more before that. The dark ages killed many more people. People were killed for disobeying the church. Nowadays you get a book deal.

We are getting better, we are the world, some of us are children at heart.

How about a silly lovesong? What's wrong with that?

---------------

I'm now off to study the mating habits of the Hissing Cock Roach.

Robert Ross

Postby Robert Ross » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:55 am

Name: Robert Ross

TRAVIS YODER: Whoa. That is some list.

HARLAN: I think you cheated with some of the names on your list. I'll try never to hold it against you.

On another topic: I see Hard Case Crime has reprinted a novel by E. Howard Hunt. Yes, THAT Howard Hunt. I'm a fan of Hunt's novels. His "Jack Novak" series is good stuff; I liked it as much if not more than "The Inquisitor" series by Martin Cruz Smith, which has been talked about here more than once, I think.

Adam-Troy

The Latest Project at the House of Ideas

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:36 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
I suspect that this will only resonate with those of you who know the works of Brian Michael Bendis.

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2009/04/01 ... ments-list

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:14 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
ATC: Heh.

Heh heh heh heh heh. Yes, it does resonate. Thanks for a good laugh.

In the spirit of the day, there's also this, for Alan Moore fans:
http://www.comicmix.com/news/2009/04/01 ... reversion/

...and, for those of you who are Bruce Springsteen fans, this:
http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

Adam-Troy

Also

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:34 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
The same site just posted this story about our venerable host.

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2009/04/01 ... n-lawsuit/

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:34 am

Name: Steve Barber

Okay. I've gone back and forth, but I have to out someone.

Recently, I worked to recover a computer for a friend of mine. (No names.) While waiting for the initially very slow machine to do the things I'd requested -- which could take several minutes if not longer -- I perused the shelves of this person's library.

Tucked away from plain sight, well back in a very dark corner of the room, was a small tarp drawn down over a standalone bookshelf, the bottom of which bowed down dangerously as if holding some ponderous load.

Looking around to make sure I was not seen, I pulled back the tarp. It gave a bit then became snagged upon a thumbtack. I pulled a little harder and it came loose in my hand, dropping away from the bookcase. There, on the very top shelf sat, to my horror, a complete collection of Sidney Sheldon novels, well read. On the shelf below, a complete set of Tom Clancy hardcovers. And on the shelf below that...Judith Krantz.

Shaking, I took one from this bottom most shelf and opened it. A paperback. PRINCESS DAISY.

It opened freely, as only a well-read and reread would do. The pages were yellowed around the edges and smelled of must. Inscribed, on the title page, was the following:

"To my friend Har*** Ell*s*n, Thank you for the words of encouragement and support. Without your contribution, this work would ever have seen the light of day,

"Yr Pal, Judith"

I'm sorry Harlan, I just couldn't lie any more.

Tony Isabella

No Ellison Dreams Last Night

Postby Tony Isabella » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 am

Name: Tony Isabella
In fact, no dreams at all that I can recall.

Tony

KOS

Tis The Season

Postby KOS » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:31 am

Name: KOS
While today is the day for folly, not holly, the true season is nigh upon us.

I write, of course, of the much anticipated by myelf advent of Baseball Season.

I enjoy Christmas, I adore Halloween, and the sight, smell and savor of a well basted turkey is always welcome to my ever expanding sansabelt waistline, but the fresh coumaline smell of clipped grass and the sound of a horsehide ball cracking off an ash (NEVER lethally splintering maple, not the horrific harsh -ping- of aluminium) stick brings such a parade of warmth and joy to the ccckles of my heart that a veritable angel voiced chorus of Handel Hallelujahs would be hard put to muster.

Baseball is the sport of youth, and of age. It is given to be loved by those who have the time and attention it takes to appreciate the slow rhythyms and tides of the game. Football has its operatic spectacle and crushing impacts, baseball is in comparison an intimate two act play centered around crisp dialogue and an occasional flash of wit.

But George Carlin, of course, nailed it better han ever could I. Each spring I listen to his rhapsodic soliloquy on the joy and meaning of baseball. Somewhere Babe Ruth smiles, and Shoeless Joe checks the Lineup Card once again. Then I put on my replica 1927 Yankees cap, turn on the radio, and wait for the magical words, "Play ball!"

All is well, for another six months. All is well.

Forget Wall Street. We got baseball.

KOS

JohnEM

Harlan Sues Paramount

Postby JohnEM » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 am

Name: JohnEM
Humans brace themselves- their sanity, their place in the world - against structures they assume are inviolate. That's tough these days, as the past GM boasts of "Like a Rock" fade away to the Detroit realities in keeping with a "House of Sand and Fog".

Which is why, today, chancing upon word of Mr. Ellison's suit against Paramount, I am reassured. And I smiled. Not at prospect of Mr. Ellison having to sue for his due. Not at assorted ganifs and hacks, spidering out from Roddenberry back in 1966 to present day, who bastardized Mr. Ellison's vision, and, unable to completely kill the poetry, were unjustly enriched.

No, I'm smiling because there are, still, institutions one can count on in the good ol' USA. Maybe not Detroit steel, but Detroit stones, as in those owned by Harlan Ellison; now a Grand Old Man, but still, all piss and vinegar and Old Testament fury, when its time to bring the baddies to an accounting.

Travis Yoder

My twenty-ninth post here

Postby Travis Yoder » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 am

Name: Travis Yoder
HARLAN, when I think of what your writing has meant to me in my life, my heart wishes for you peaceful golden years in a cushioned rocking chair as you christen all the unnamed colors of the sunsets shifting palette.

But then I see you engaged in your latest scrap, and something in me says, YEAH!!! FUCK, YEAH!!! TEAR IT UP, ELLISON!!! CHARGE INTO THOSE FUCKERS LIKE AN IBERIAN TORO BRAVO INJECTED WITH COCAINE AND GUNPOWDER!!! EVISCERATE EM!!! TIE THEIR NECKS INTO GORDIAN KNOTS!!! RIP THEIR FACES OFF AND WIPE YOUR ASS WITH EM!!! MAKE EM BEG FOR THEIR MAMAS WHOLL HAVE TO CRY OVER CLOSED CASKETS!!! GO DOWN WITH YOUR SWORD IN HAND, BABY, THEN MAKE VALHALLA RING WITH THE DRUM-BURSTING PEAL OF YOUR BLOODHUNGRY WARSCREAMS!!! TEACH THOSE FUCKERS FOR GOOD AND ALL THAT, GOD DAMN IT, THEYVE GOT TO !PAY! !THE! !WRITER!!! YYYAAAHHHH!!! RRRRAAAAAARRRRRRRHHHHHHH!!!

That said, FRANK CHURCH, you expressed your point well, and I agree with your assessment of human progress, as David Brin often does convincingly as well. We do get gradually better, but oh-so-slowly. I mean, hello, black president? Its the slowness, the two-steps-forward/one-step-backward stumbling, thats so frustrating and causes folks to feel that not only does everyone suck but that they suck worse all the time. Its difficult to hold on to the gradual gains perspective, I think, cuz, hey, were all getting older and the daily battering of human horror causes psychic fatigue. Well, what to do? Were all in the same parade; its moving in one direction only; and were bound to tire further on.

SEMI-WRITER, forgive my logorrhea , but I neglected to sum up saliently yesterday, as I wanted to say that if we could merely adopt a perspective of acceptance--of the head-shaking variety, of course--on the animal horror that is humanity, then maybe--JUST maybe, Ill grant you--we wouldnt get so torn up about it and rather be cheerfully surprised when people are good and decent and high-minded and worthy. This, I know, is a challenging attitude to maintain. Life is so heartbreaking merely in the observance. Moreover, I recognize its the facile viewpoint of one who hasnt suffered any real personal tragedy in his life. Ive been lucky on that score.

Stilllet us all consider that every day, hundreds of millions, maybe billions, of people, however dim of perception and dull of mind they may be, wake up and go about their business without killing or maiming or stealing or vandalizing or insulting. In fact, most folks try to do good work, love their families, support their friends, consider their neighbors, and hope for a brighter future. Most make an effort to rise above the red-in-tooth-and-claw programming in our D.N.A., even if theyre not of the admired 1.5%. We fail, of course, we fail so often and sometimes egregiously. But the effort to be more than mere animals, to transcend mere instinct, to fashion ourselves after angels, the vain, fumbling effort is, well, sort of beautiful. Isnt it?

On that note of fumbling, ROBERT ROSS, I just realized that I cheated too: DA-vid Se-DAR-is is pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable of the second namedoesnt fit. Oops.

Reaching, not always grasping, but always reaching,
T.Y.

David Silver

Random silliness on a silly day...

Postby David Silver » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Name: David Silver
The other day, Steve Barber wrote: "Let your first lesson be that Josh spells his last name with two "O"s."

Hmmmm...Josh Oolsen. Hey, I like the sound of that!

Does anybody else here think Stan Yoder is a liar? I could have sworn that was only his twenty-eighth post! Recount, I demand a recount!

For those who haven't read the www.comicmix.com/news features today, including the Moore and Ellison law suits, any doubt that it's April 1st have been dispelled by the most recent entry. Go read it for yourself...

Beautiful day here in Baghdad by the Bay. I snuck away from the office this morning to play a quick round of golf at a small local practice course. On the third hole, this old fellow who joined me hit his drive way off to the right and was stymied under the trees. Instead of just swatting the ball safely back into the fairway, on his next shot he attempted the ill advised strategy of ripping a low burner past the trunk and branches of the huge cypress right in front of him, in a vain effort to reach the green. He swung mightily, the ball took off fast and furious, it smacked into the tree trunk, ricocheted back at him, and he only had a fraction of a second to turn his body away. Thwack!!! The ball nailed him square on the butt! Folks, if you've never played this goofy game, you won't understand, but getting hit by a golf ball hurts like hell! They're nearly as hard as rocks, and they fly like bullets! So I ran over to the poor guy to make sure he was okay, he said it was thrumping pretty badly where he got tagged, but no harm, so let's keep playing. Then we looked around for his ball...and it was gone. Weird. There was no logical place for it to hide, the grass wasn't tall, the terrain was flat, it just wasn't there. In the heat of that moment, obviously, neither one of us had been paying attention to where it might have gone. But still, it should have been right there somewhere. We gave up looking after a couple of minutes, he pulled another ball out of his bag, and we finished that hole. On the next tee, I could tell the old fellow was still in pain, there were beads of sweat on his forehead, he reached into his back pants pocket to grab his handkerchief, and the lost ball fell out!

When I got back to the office a couple hours later, I turned on the radio and it was Pat Benatar doing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot".

Hmmmm...Joosh Oolsen. NOW you're talking!

Everybody be good,

Daavid Siilver

Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Name: Jan
I would feel much better if our philosophers of the past days would at least refrain from comparing humans to animals, implicitly or explicitly. What "animals" do you mean? Mosquitoes? Give animals a break. When we behave like them it can be good, or it can be bad.

There is more decency and more evil in the world than our small minds can grasp - we all hate or love the world depending on the time of day, how much sleep we've had, and whether or not the hot chick in the corner smiles back at us. No need to philosophize.

And Travis, do you often experience such problems with your shift key? We're all behind Harlan.

John E Williams

And That's What Scares Us

Postby John E Williams » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Name: JohnEWilliams
Unfortunately, the term 'You Are Not Alone' has been appropriated of late by that sobbing jackass Glenn Beck.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”