Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:42 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20090603.htm
Harlan, I would never, NEVER go after a noble posey in the vineyard of the highest caliber. Susan is wonderful and my mention of a certain unnamed thing had nothing to do with her or her holyness. She wraps very good packages as well, which is not a bad thing.

You are a good Husband.

Susan is the queen.

Now get that sauce out your underwear.

--------------

Josh, get him, get him!!

--------------

David Silver, I would convert you to anarchism and you know it. I still say Orwell was an anarchist, at least in spirit.

If we ever lift pinters, I will insist on bangers and mash at the ready too. We could become lifelong friends.

I am not normal, but who wants to be. Normalcy is death.

Alex Schor

Postby Alex Schor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:10 am

Name: Alex Schor
I just read that composer Maurice Jarre passed away, aged 84.

Damn, damn, and damn again.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON

Yes, he replied softly, gently, so as not to unhinge any precariously balanced minds, yes, I have it on a DVD, not CD.

It's as if hysteria had been bespoke tailored, just for you.

john zeock

This and that

Postby john zeock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 am

Name: john zeock
Jim Thomas-it's frustating, isn't it ? I can't quite figure out either where POD misses the trick. Maybe the means of possession could have been different, or something. And Thomas Harris, who wrote two wonderful novels before Hannibal, writes an ungodly mess and then what was basically a novelization of his own novel. I have the deepest respect for Stephen King as a critic but I've never been able to understand his praise for Hannibal. Harlan-thanks for the note on BROOKS. I watched it on free demand and was impressed. My take is that the script has more to do with Brooks' awareness of himself as an addict and his desire to stop than with his ability to kill and get away with it. What other people see as too many coincidences I see as a man trying to combat what he sees as a universe conspiring him to sin. This is , of course, my opinion and may be colored by 18 years of Catholic education. (and speaking of the final 6 years---Go Nova !)

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

DORMAN ---- PLEASE REPLY !!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:50 am

We have a situation.

You are assuming I have more information than I actually possess; and it has put us, you and me, in an awkward place. I am wont to unravel this skein.

First: Are you in the US at this moment, or still in Australia?

Second: Anya is, in fact, your daughter...right?

Third: I need to talk to you privately. If you're in AUS, I'll need a phone number somewhichway. If you're in the States on visit or whatever, you call me. You have the number.

This is an imbroglio, a snowball started rolling with good intentions that has become an unwelcome juggernaut. I must needs talk to you, privately.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Doc

Postby Doc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:06 am

Name: Doc
Dear Harlan - Sorry I wasn't Huck. Great story, though, and thanks for telling it.

Dear Susan - Sorry I got you hollered at.

Love to Both o' Yas,
Doc

Jeff R.

Who Says the Golden Age of Television Is Dead?

Postby Jeff R. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:24 am

Name: Jeff R.
The other day, Oprah interviewd a 900-pound woman. Fool that I am, I missed it.

Anyone here tape it? (Just kidding! JUST KIDDING!!!)

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:14 am

Name: Alan Coil
Jeff, did you also miss the recent interview on television of KKK members? Just wondering where you discrimination begins and ends. Or does it end?

Brian Phillips

Maurice Jarre, from my Mom and from me.

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 am

Name: Brian Phillips
I am saddened by the loss of Maurice Jarre; I had no idea that he was Jean-Michel Jarre's father. I am a fan of both men. My Mother, the woman responsible for my love of soundtrack composers, is weeping from Heaven.

One of Maurice Jarre's most arresting works was "Die Blechtrommel" (The Tin Drum) which was issued on vinyl on the Celine (?) label (LP's at home, I am not). Rent the movie and while I don't know how much of the massive book made it to the screen, enjoy the music.

As for "The Golden Age of Television", here is a good one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68u7qt__sOY

The moment I am referring to is seven minutes in and it is one of the only times that I have ever seen Groucho Marx unnerved.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Also DAVID SILVER in SanFran. I would seek a conversation with you...off this e.bomination.

-he

William Sherman

Just Back Into the World

Postby William Sherman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Just back from three weeks in what's left of the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Much up on which to catch here in the Pavilion, but having just read the statement about Mr. E.'s suit against Paramount and the WGA, I must blurt the following out:

Land your longboats and take the monestaries, Mr. E. A north-easterly wind blows, and the abbots are fat, ripe for the plucking.

As a current landlord, I am especially empathetic to those protecting their property rights against such larcenous irresponsibility.

On a lighter note, now reading Harry Harrison's "The Hammer and the Cross"; hence, the Viking allusions.

Bon chance.

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Lori Koonce

I see how it is Mr. Silver

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Name: Lori Koonce
You can write a huge paragraph on our local looney tune (Mr. Church), but you can't even drop one short little note to one of your coffee friends.

While I'm thinking about it, Gwyn and I did want to meet your Mrs. but you know how girls in make up places can get.

The email addy above should work, drop me a note so we can make plans away from here!

Kevin A.

Postby Kevin A. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Name: Kevin A.
This Josh Olsen fellow sure flies off the handle into a temperamental rage with minimal prompting. Perhaps he should practice the deep state of hypnotic calm that is forever the inimitable countenance of he (HE!) who sits at the head of the Pavilion dining table.

On a serious note: I'm a frequent visitor to this site who never speaks, so I should introduce myself briefly. Born in the early 1970s, I've been a reader of Harlan's work since the end of that decade. I'll state the obvious: He is an individual of exceptional wit and talent, as can be plainly seen here. I met him brieflly at a comic book convention in 1989 in Toronto. He spoke to a crowd on the last day of that event and made us laugh (excepting a few ultra-serious dullards who seemed alarmed and dismayed by his every word) and then we were choked up by his reading of installment 1 of "The Hornbook": Everything I Know About My Father.

I'm glad to be here and I will be careful not to incur the wrath of Mr. Olsen by incorrect reference to optical disc media, or other such momentous slips; I am on tip-toe in his presence while visiting the Pavilion.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Name: Steve Barber

Kevin A. -
Let your first lesson be that Josh spells his last name with two "O"s.

Steve "Limpalong" B

(In regards this quotation-marked reference: Big toe smashed on right foot during Happ... err, Earth Hour, meets Monday Morning business shoe. "&%$#!")

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm

Name: Steve Barber

Not that it matters, but it's the right toe on my LEFT foot.

Well. It matters -- just not to any of you.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”