Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20090603.htm

AMY K-J:

If you are, actually, speaking to EI, tell him should he so desire, when in town...

But please please please do not intrude or press it.

Harlan

Pogue

It hurts to laugh this much.

Postby Pogue » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Name: Pogue
Bat-O-craperator???

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

KIM OWEN SMITH

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
I confess to dumbfounded admiration. Well-spun, sir, well-spun!
Or, as the late great wordmeister Avram Davidson chose to express it, avec printed accent: "Well spon, sir; well spon!"

Harlan

Tony Solomun

Postby Tony Solomun » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Name: Tony Solomun
Hello Harlan,
I hope you are doing well,
being relatively new to your work,I'm doing my best to catch up,
your books and short stories that I have read thus far are terrific and thought provoking,
a true master of the medium you are,,

one of my best mates is Chris Ryall,and I understand you and he talk regularly,which is very cool,

I want to ask,what is your most recent work/essays ?
and where in most likelihood can I purchase them from ?

and how often do you write nowadays?
as well as your short stories,
I myself write short stories nearly every day,

that's all for now,

take care mate ,
all the best,

Tony Solomun

Jim Thomas

Postby Jim Thomas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:12 pm

Name: Jim Thomas
HARLAN: Your Thought for Today is yet one more reason that you're Harlan Ellison, and the rest of us mere mortals.

Also, I sympathize with the computer issues; three weeks ago I had to format and reinstall WinXP on my home PC, thanks to a pernicious virus. On the plus side, it sounds as though your back is doing better, making you blessed indeed.

Also also, I'm kind of wired on Nyquil thanks to a massive sinus infection, so this could ramble.

STEVE BARBER: I pulled that stunt at my mom a couple of times last fall. Thanks to a bricklaying quirk, at the right angle you can't quite discern the edge of the carport with the lower step. Both times, my foot goes out about 6 inches too far, and I pitch forward, managing to land like Wile E. Coyote, completely spread eagle. In fact, because landed flat, the impact was distributed over my entire body, so that I didn't even have a scratch. I did crack a bone in my hand, and the next day I ached from head to toe, but if I had landed arms first, I probably would have broken my wrist.

DTS: I wonder how many Thomas Harris fans there are after the last two novels? As I finished Hannibal, I couldn't help but think that Harris had set out bound and determined to write the LAST Hannibal Lecter story, and that as he wrote down the conclusion, in which (SPOILERS REDACTED LEST HARLAN SIC HIS NEWLY ACTIVE HAMSTERS ON ME), he was madly cackling, "Let's see them film THAT!"

SEMI-WRITER: I hope the performance went well.

JOHN ZEOCK: "Prince of Darkness" is a seriously disturbing movie. The movie drives me absolutely crazy, because I can't help but think that it's only a change or two from being a fucking masterpiece, but I can never figure out what to change.

Edward Brock

Harlan & Adam Magazine (eBay auctions)

Postby Edward Brock » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 pm

Name: Edward Brock
Harlan,

I am also one of those lucky fans who snagged a few copies of ADAM Magazine on eBay. I received 5 issues (in Fine condition) for $20 ($15.50 + $4.50 shipping). A sweet deal, obviously.

The issues were-- July 1967, Feb. 1968, July 1968, Sept. 1970 & Jan. 1971.

It's fun browsing through some of the auctions (even if you have no intention of buying anything), just to see some of the interesting items people want to part with.

For example, there are several Harlan items currently listed that I would love to have: ADAM (Feb. 1966 / $9.95). RAGE FOR MEN (Apr. 1957 / $8.99). AMAZING STORIES (May 1957 / $14.95). HAUNT OF HORROR (June 1973 / $7.95).

Rick Keeney

Harlan

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Name: Keeney
Here's the fervent hope that you didn't get any on yourownself.

Rick

Semi-Writer

Eddie Ifft

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
(My apologies for posting twice in one day, but it's an hour and a half 'til midnight and with my luck, everything I wrote about this will disappear thanks to some computer glitch. I won't post on Monday unless there are questions about this from HE, I promise!)

To bring Eddie Ifft into the conversation again... Eddie was shooting a short film at the Hollywood Improv in December 2007, a project called "Big Gretel" which I don't think he has ever released. He was nice enough to bring me on as a background performer for the indoor bar scenes, and I stuck around all day and night to take production stills, too. The photo stream shows everyone involved in the prep as they're blacking out the windows, dressing up the actors and themselves, working out camera angles, and indulging in the usual horsing around.

Here's the whole picture stream: http://flickr.com/gp/74651650@N00/982853

This is Eddie with attitude--call it "Eddietude!": http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/208 ... 1d31a5.jpg

Comedian Brody Stevens (playing the policeman) joined in the shoot as well. And I saved the day with that police uniform, incidentally! Eddie was frantically trying to find one for the shoot and, on a weird whim, I'd bought the thing just a month earlier at "It's a Wrap," a secondhand movie clothing and prop store. More miraculous, it actually fit the 6'2" tall Mr. Stevens because he has a long torso and relatively short legs. For about $10, Eddie was able to purchase a couple of fake badges to make the outfit work. Funny how things just fall into place sometimes...

DTS

Forwarding Harlan's reply

Postby DTS » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: Since the girls are asleep by now, and will be packing in the A.M. for their (gulp) approx 24 hours worth of air travel time (not to mention being up and awake most of the day they begin that hegira), I'm forwarding your reply to Anya, via Marcia's Blackberry (or Blueberry or Strawberry -- some such device). My daughter will be _thrilled_ to know she has now been referred to as a grandma (for the last couple of years, the poor kid has had to endure the ocassional waiter asking if me and "my wife" -- or girlfriend -- would like such and such, whenever the kiddo and I dine out together, sans Marcia. I am trying like hell to get some suave-looking gray hairs, so I look closer to my age at first blush -- a very cool, Jason Blood type streak down the middle would be okay, too -- but I've yet to succeed)

Like you, Anya is quite organized -- to the point (like you) of being rather anal about how things are placed on shelves, etc --she's so organized she managed to finish her last year of high school in five months, thereby coming to live here in OZ with Marcia and myself. So I'm sure she was chagrined to learn of the busted bag of BBQ. But as you told her, no real harm done.

As for the postage: it was $16 bucks, total (much less expensive than the last time, if memory serves).

Cheers to you and Susan,
Dorman

Friendly Neighborhood PC Thought Police

A Friendly Reminder

Postby Friendly Neighborhood PC Thought Police » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Name: Friendly Neighborhood PC Thought Police
Does Mr. Ellison own any childrens books written before 1985? I understand he owns Little Golden Books. Well its illegal, it is a violation of The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. All children's books written before 1985 are being rounded up for disposal everywhere. Including private collections. Abebooks and Alibris have already been issued notifications prohibiting their selling of such materials. Besides they're gender-coded and racist as well. If you really must read delusionary stories which encourage indolence and are irrelevant to social needs, then use the Amazon.com Kindle reader, they have all of Oprah's Choices there....

http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cf ... fety--4026

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Name: Josh Olson
Harlan,

" I was knocked outta the saddle by Eddie in "The Cat's Meow." I have it on CD"

No, you don't.

You have it on DVD.

DVD

DVD

DVD

DVD

DVD

DVD

PS: Dennis Lehane sends his love.

DVD

DVD

DVD

DEE fucking VEE fucking DEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My New Years resolution - every time Harlan refers to a DVD as a CD, I'm gonna refer to him as a SyFy writer.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:29 am

Name: JohnEWilliams
From now on, the Pavilion should be nothing but Josh and Harlan fighting.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:53 am

Name: Jan
Harlan: Your computer should be fine now; Steve assures me he has not installed any new date-activated viruses. He believes you "got the f****ing message" this time.

Speaking of great photographers, here's the link to Pip Lagenta's photos of you again, in case you missed it last week.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=harlan% ... 7403%40N03

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:02 am

Name: Jan
Apologies, but on the subject prices:
The Deadly Streets (signed) $1662.50 ("only a dozen or so copies are known")
Sex Gang (2nd printing) $1187.50
http://www.leonardshoup.com/?page=shop/ ... 5b0357879b

Anya Shindler

TO HARLAN ELLISON

Postby Anya Shindler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:30 am

Name: Anya Shindler
Dear Grnadpa,

Grandma, huh? Sorry to disappoint you but all the senility is on you. I'm not even twenty yet, thank you very much. And while, as my Dad wrote, I have been mistaken for someone a little older (say, 25) I have never been mistaken for my Dad's grandmother.

If you were confused because of the return address it was because I'm returning to Melbourne Monday, March 30 (today). And if you didn't get it then MY grandmother would have.

Anyway, in truth I really don't mind if you thought I was Dad's grandmother (still sounds odd though). Senility is just another part of getting older. And I'm glad you enjoyed the crackle.

Yours Truly,

Anya Shindler, Your Ganddaughter

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”