Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:15 am

Name: Steve Barber
Source: unca20090314.htm

JohnE nails it for me as well. To many of these folks (note I don not say "all) it's about ideology and pandering. Rush is the moral and ethical equivalent of Lewis Prothero, the talk show host in the film version of V FOR VENDETTA -- only less ethical and less moral.

Rush is, as JohnE notes, not tied to the Republican Party except as a matter of convenience. Ideologically they are closer to him than are Dems. Rush, and others of the NeoCon vein, do not care what reality is, nor do they care what the impact on the rest of society is. They are driven by the desire to create their world according to their own values and needs.

He is an ugly person, and one I am embarrassed to acknowledge as a fellow citizen. But, we are a nation of the First Amendment, as under attack as that primary value has been in the last decade.

I find him revolting, I find him insulting. He is America at our worst, and unrepentently so. He feigns commonality when elitism is his game. He is blatantly self-aware of the cynical hypocrisy he spews, and astoundingly does it with the angriest of angry jingoism. What he claims as common sense is condescending rhetoric of the most usary and vile variety.

But inasmuch as he would deprive me of my right to free speech in less than a heartbeat, I cannot condone depriving him of his.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

AN ASIDE TO JAN IN THE EU

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:39 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
re: Earl Kemp

Earl Kemp is a thief.

Once, long ago, he was a highly-regarded sf fan and (in liaison with a very nice man named Ed Wood--no, not the movie-maker, the OTHER Ed Wood) genre publisher: Advent. Later in his life, like me and Algis Budrys before him, he worked for William Hamling, and wound up accompanying Hamling to prison. In the period between taking over Budrys's editorial tiller of the two paperback lines I singlehandedly created--Nightstand Books and Regency Books--when I came out here to LA--and his being convicted for partnering Hamling in acts the duplicitous FBI and the Government considered "crimes" (which I did not consider such), Earl Kemp became a thief. When he solicited my "recollections" as material for his fanzine (to which you refer), I told him rather sharply to piss off, until he returned to me the Dillon art and the covers I'd commissioned for Regency, that he had stolen from Hamling's storage bin, shed, loft, office, wherever.

Earl Kemp is a thief.

Sincerely, Harlan Ellison

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:58 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
MARK GOLDBERG:

Yes, the HORNBOOK is still available from HERC in mint 1st edition hardcover. You should have our booklist in the next-to-most-recent Rabbit Hole, price and etc.

Susan

K. M. Kirby

The Very Real World of Doc Savage

Postby K. M. Kirby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:32 am

Name: K.M.Kirby
While at the Wonder Con yesterday, I noticed a great looking book about the artist from those Doc Savage paperbacks. For some reason, these covers were so good as to help me convince my teenaged self, back when I was reading the series, that the stories were all true.

Why is that? It's not so much that I considered these books to be based in fact; rather, that the events portrayed were somehow real in and of themselves.

In any case, after an overnight boil, the video camera I brought to WonderCon resulted in the following bit of unreal compilation:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhFLWBhuzX ... =en&fmt=18

KOS

Right

Postby KOS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Name: KOS
My apologies for not taking a big drink of STFU.

I will swig it down right AFTER the following:

Yes, Frank, that site is basically an agenda driven site, it considers Israel to be worth defending and doesn't hide it. But the facts in my original post are checkable elsewhere, and I notice you never addressed those facts, did you? You engaged in an ad hominem on me, then essayed an attempt at a "fruit of a poisoned tree" "refutation" re: the website having an agenda.

Again: my point is that there were problems in the Palestinian territories between Jewish immigrants and Palestinian natives long before the United States played in those "Troubled Waters" or the UN existed. That the violence between those communities stems from the territorial nature of humans, from xenophobia.

The "Neolithic Ethic":

"We are The People. We are the Only People. This is Our Land. If you come into Our Land, we will kill you, If we want your land, we will come into it and kill you. We are The People."

That was how it was in the New Stone Age, and much of the human race is still there emotionally. Did I write "much"? How about "all of us"? We can rise above it, but if we deny that dirty little truth, then we can never take the steps in the "light" of that knowledge that will allow us to act more decently.

That, "pally", is my point.

That this does not seem to fit with your view of human nature seems to be "the rub". That you would engage in such pettifogging tactics rather than address the easily checked facts I referred to, is unfortunate. Further deponent sayeth not.

You could find many other sources for those facts. Pierre van Paasens 1939 book "Days of our Years", is still available from used book sources. There is even a website with a quote from his passage in that book on his visit to Hebron in the wake of the 1929 riots. I found it in one minute of searching with Yahoo.

You asked for a source, I gave you one out of many. You don't like that particular source, but what about the facts? Your silence on them is deafening.

I am done with this discussion. Do your own homework. I know you think of yourself as a fair and open minded seeker of truth. Go for it. I weary of leading this particular "horse" to "water"

Turning off the internest (sic) for a few days, to write a new story titled "FOD". I will be sending it to Gordon van Gelder at F&SF. If it sells, I will let you all know. I have great hopes. I dreamed the story this morning, soup to nuts. Only a thousand words. Killer last line. Fingers crossed.

Where's that glass of STFU?

KOS

Adam-Troy

Somewhere, Somebody Actually Believes This Crap

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Somewhere, Somebody Actually Believes This Crap. A rant written in a white heat, inspired by one of the more absurd moments in the history of Fox News.

http://smirkingchimp.com/thread/20554

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

A COMMAND FROM ON HIGH

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:16 pm

KOS and FRANK CHURCH:

You both have long-since worn us all into boredom with the Israel-Hamas crap. Unless I'm wrong--because I almost never ever go to them--there is an alternate thread wherein you lads can blow up your balloons of hot air AND prick them into flatulent dispersion. Take this stuff over there. And if such a thread does NOT exist already, create one!

This is not a "request."

Harlan, saving Rick Wyatt the tsuriss.

Site Admin

"Israel" "Is Not!"

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Name: Steve Barber
(A new thread in the Forum Shoppes.)

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/forum/ ... 8032#48032

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:51 pm

ghod luv ya, barber; you're just peaches !

1) Saw CORALINE yesterday with Josh. Quite wonderful. The film, not Olson, who twitches, shifts, leg-crosses, bumps, readjusts, slumps, sits up, moves back and forth...

Yes, he's one of THOSE.

2) Called James Moran at approximately midnight London UK time.
"Hello," thick Khyber Pass accent, "is this Mr. Jay-muz Moe-Ran
of the Yeww-Kay?" Sleepily: "Yes."

"Ahhh! So goood, yes.

"Mister Moe-Ran, this is the Darjeeling Birthday Felicitation and Bidet Company, and we are cawllling to wish you such a happy birthday..." and the sub-continental voice then breaks into a stunted and one-off-note version of the traditional air which, somehow, in the middle range, breaks into the voice of the late Spike Milligan's BlueBottle, shrieking hideously and sort-of banshee pop-bottle ultrasonic wailing.

I have no idea if Mister Moe-Ran actually knew who was calling, because the Noble Jodie actually answered the phone, then handed it to him. She assured me I had not awakened her, and I pray that was so. I did not ask Mister Moe-Ran if I had unhorsed HIM from his nightmare. I sure as hell hope so, otherwise why bother disturbing friends if you cannot really bust their chops?

Senseless in Gaza (no, not THAT one, the other one, the Huxley one), I remain, resolutely, Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

UH ... ER ...mmmmmmm

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:54 pm

That would be "one...OFF-KEY...note..."

mmmm.

-he

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Name:
Fully aware I may incur the wrath of the more-enlightened I plod ahead, regardless, asking: How many pages should Issue #47 of HERC actually have? My copy has but four.

Tony Rabig

4 more titles today at Fictionwise.com

Postby Tony Rabig » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Name: Tony Rabig
And today we have four more of our host's titles available in legit ebook editions. They are:

Over the Edge, Partners in Wonder, Stalking the Nightmare, and Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed.

Bests to all,

--tr

Bob Homeyer

Query

Postby Bob Homeyer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Name: Bob Homeyer
Has HE ever been asked to write a James Bond film?

Richard Yocum

Coraline in 3-D

Postby Richard Yocum » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:15 pm

Name: Richard Yocum
I've seen a thread elsewhere that some viewers of the 3-D Coraline experienced a fuzzy presentation and that it was a total headache-inducer. I must have been lucky because I thought it was quite sharp and simply gorgeous in 3-D. The film was terrific and I'm anxious to get the book. Another quick movie note: the Swedish horror film "Let the Right One In" comes out on video next week. It's well worth a look. The forthcoming American remake will likely be inferior (look at "Rec," Cracker, The Office, and The Singing Detective, to name just a few). Richard.

Dennis C

Atheists in Foxholes

Postby Dennis C » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Name: Dennis C
Great article in the newest issue of THE HUMANIST magazine about atheists and freethinkers in the military who are discriminated against. It's not online yet, but you can keep checking www.Americanhumanist.org. There are indeed atheists in foxholes and they feel marginalized.

But what I really wanted to quote were two stories from it that are incidental to that discrimination.

Many members of MAAF -- The Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers -- don't care for the chaplains, who are always pushing Christianity on the soldiers. But there's one particular chaplain who went a bit further. In Iraq, one 6-year-old girl was being operated on after being critically wounded by an IED. She didn't make it and the medical team was mourning her death. But the chaplain said "Well, it doesn't matter. She's going to hell anyway."

Do we want those kinds of people out there representing the U.S. in the front lines?

The other story is by a freethinking soldier whose friend died in an explosion. The soldier came back to the U.S. for his friend's funeral and was outraged by those at the funeral who said "God has a plan" and "everything happens for a reason."

Nothing enrages me more than those two phrases. (I always want to ask what the plan was for those poor people who had to jump off the World Trade Center rather than being burnt alive..) But my rage can't compare to his.

Check out the article if you get the chance.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”