Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

john zeock

prince of darkness

Postby john zeock » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Name: john zeock
Source: unca20090603.htm
There's a movie with a certain amount of silliness but I find a lot of it effectively disturbing. Carpenter has a number of movies that hop scotch from masterful to ridiculous, sometimes in the same scene. Written by "Martin Quatermass", by the way.

KOS

Lovecraft and Moe

Postby KOS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:47 pm

Name: KOS
Lovecraft? I have never seen the comic/GN of that title that the film will be made upon, but Gary and I have a pretty nice little screenplay of that title. It's HPL's life with lots of supernatural stuff. Since the people we're showing it to love love love to ride the coattails of larger studio projects on similar themes, they might want to make our version and do a little profit wake surfing.

Sounds good to me. I love being a bottom feeder, if it pays the bills.

I read a biography of Moe years ago. He was actually a very smart guy, who took his work seriiusly. He and the other stooges, both "classic" and later incarnations, as well as those close to them such as Emil Sitka, were menschen. They worked hard, played hard and stood up for each other. Moe took it very hard when his baby brother, "Curly" died at a young age. I can actually see Penn and Del Torre getting in some good licks with the basic stuff of those lives.

Weird fact: "Cutly" died nine months to the day before I was born. "WOO, WOO, WOOO!"

Nyuk Nyuk,

I recently discovered that a descendant on a collateral line from one of my ancestors was the sheriff who hanged Tom Dooley of the old folk song fame. I don't usually do the family tree thing, but I was curious that my fiancee's mother had the same maiden name as one of my more famous (locally in the Missouri region I am originally from) ancestors. I once went to one of their reunions out of curiousity when on a visit to the area, or I would never have known of him. Turns out my fiancee and I are like fifth cousins or something like that with some "removals" and all thrown in. Weird that we met two thousand miles away from where most of the "family" still live.

Also turns out that one of my relatives, and hers, was John Steinbecks literary agent Ben Wasson (Wasson being the family name in question).

This keeps happening to me. Like my first wife: she was a second cousin of the actor (2001: A Space Odyssey) Gary Woodman, if I recall his name correctly?

The screenwriter Ken Kaufman (Muppet Space Movie, Space Cowboys, Curious George and The Missing), whose brother is a close friend of mine, worked one summer at the world famous Nathan's hot dog stand on Coney Island.

Ken had an original Roy Lichtenstein on a wall of his bedroom. It had been given to him by the artist, who was an uncle by marriage. Since Ken is an graphic artist of some skill himself, he studied the piece closely, and knew every line of it by heart. It was a portrait of a middle-aged man, and was simply titled "Phil". Ken had no idea who the portrait was of, and could not have cared less. He just liked thw image.

One day that summer, he looked up from the register to take the order of the next customer, and found himself staring into the face he knew every line of. He was unable to move or speak for a moment, and then just said softly, more to himself than anyone else:. "Phil..."

The man leaned forward "What?"

"Phil"

"Yes?

"You're Phil!"

The man blinked, smiled and said "Yes. I am Phil. And who are you?"

"No, you're PHIL!' The painting in my bedroom! Roy Lichtenstein..."

Then the man laughed. He thought he had been recognized for his works.

The portrait was of Philip Glass, whom Ken had never heard of before that bizarre meeting at Nathans.

KOS

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Frank I wouldn't be surprized if someday it would be you getting shot by a tranquelizer gun by someone you have sent over the edge with one of really silly messages you post here daily.

DTS

Neko Case

Postby DTS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:53 pm

Name: DTS
ALL: I've been digging the music of Neko Case since hearing her first album while living in KC. She's the only singer I've heard whose voice can actually live up the term, "haunting." I don't know if it's natural or an affectation, but: damn.
Check out her new album, "Middle Cyclone," if you dig artists who mix-it-up (jazz, country, pop). And for the guys who like their girls a bit noir, the second song sports a line in which she tells a lover that she'll punch him if he uses the word forever again. I think even Harlan would dig her music.

Here's a link to a Youtube thingee that gives a peek inside her creative process (her talking about the making of the album, interspersed with bits of several tracks and snippets of Case and her band recording).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbjnS_RTj_o

Any woman who buys a barn and proceeds to fill it up with old pianos that have been thrown out (six at the time of the video), using said pianos -- all at once -- in the recording of one of her songs -- AND feels so enamoured of the sounds of the frogs on her new property that she adds an extra track on the album just for them) -- is my kinda quirky.

Plus, she's a great singer/songwriter.
Cheers,
DTS

Rick Keeney

har

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Name: Keeney
roger, roger, roger

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 am

Name: Jan
From the information given and not knowing what Steve has already done, the first things I'd do with Harlan's computer, apart from the obvious:
Delete cache memory from browser.
Stop anti-virus background operations (or delete and reinstall program later).
Look at the CPU usage of all programs/processes to identify benevolent culprits and/or undetected malware.
Check chipset and graphics drivers (dates).
Use a registry cleaner.
Re-start after some of those steps.

Dennis C

Stooges and Marvel

Postby Dennis C » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:30 am

Name: Dennis C
The Farrelly Brothers' Stooge movie is not going to be a bio -- they're taking the characters and just plunking them down in the modern world. Could work. Could be a train wreck.

This from Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily column about Marvel Studios:

Marvel Studios has started a writers program. The goal is to put more than half a dozen film writers on staff, give them an office, and "work them like horses!" one of my sources says. I've confirmed this smart move. (Makes you realize how backwards Warner Bros is by comparison on their DC Comics film development.) *UPDATE: Marvel comic book writers are not excluded from applying.* One source tells me the terms of the program "are apparently more onerous than the terms of the Disney Writers Program. Before the writers are even allowed to come in and meet, they must sign a non-disclosure agreement and a 70-page, non-negotiable contract. Among other things, the contract gives Marvel ownership over everything the writers create during the one year term of the deal, plus a first look and last refusal to any and all projects the writers have previously written or will write for 24 months in the future." Egads! Unfortunately, with Hollywood feature development at a near standstill, I suspect Marvel could have its pick of film writers in exchange for $5 and a hot lunch

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:47 am

Name: Frank Church
Roger, don't take everything seriously good man.

That Iowa corn got ya buggin.

Weird is the fuel that runs the world.

-----------------

Neko Case; Isn't that a valise to keep your necco wafers?

Neko wafers??

One person you must like or admit to severe mental illness--Johnny Cash. He da man and I don't want any debate.

john zeock

77-54

Postby john zeock » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:11 am

Name: John Zeock B.A. 1976; M.A. 1978
Go 'Nova!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 am

Name: Steve Barber

The patient is doing better, but is not out of the woods yet.

(Jan, did all of those and more.)

It's a clunky and temporary resolution we enacted, but what was done yesterday should allow the Ellisons back online -- but, sadly, the Hamsters still may not be dancing.

All is not yet lost. There are still a few tricks up our sleeves.

On the other hand: Harlan is up and around with an improvement in his back.

He's looking forward to seeing EVERYONE at the New Beverly on April 23rd (and if you can't make it -- no matter *where* you live -- HE will FIND you...)

TallyJohnson

I've found the problem with the computer

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 am

Name: Tally
As Steve said, it's not out of the woods yet...well, bring it inside. I bet rain is bad for electronics.

Sorry, it's a SLOW rainy day here at the Tiny Bookbarn in Bumf@ck and I'm just in that kind of mood. I have no advice to offer.

Brian Phillips

It's the Prince-double of the thing (Note to Frank Church)

Postby Brian Phillips » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 am

Name: Brian Phillips
"Lotus Flow3r"(sic) is not a triple album by Prince, it is a double album, with a third disc by Bria Valente called "Elixer" (sic again) which was produced by Prince.

Sunday is the first day you can buy it, which is not a traditionally heavy retail day, which is, well, kinda (sic) if you ask me.

Thanks to Paul for the link to "Trailers From Hell", now I know what Josh Olson looks like. I am not sure, however, what is so "hell"-ish about the trailer for "Monterey Pop".

My good lady wife and I love the trailer for the following movie, the movie title will show up in quotes:

Several scenes fade in and out over mellow music and the voice-over says in a smooth voice:

What do you do, when the wrong girl gives you all the right feelings?

"Fresh Horses"

My wife and I looked at each other and shouted, "Fresh HORSES!?" It may be a fine piece of cinema, but that preview kept us away.

A bad title can kill a decent trailer. This was about a woman race driver:

"...starring Beau Bridges, Bonnie Bedelia as Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney: Heart Like a Wheel"

For the first and only time I heard the audience groan, "Ohhhh!" when they heard the title of the movie, which actually is quite good. The trailer didn't help.

Brian Phillips

Semi-Writer

Postby Semi-Writer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 am

Name: Semi-Writer
In which case, I'd better make sure to show up on April 23rd, huh? I don't need Harlan materializing out of the kitchen shadows. The roommates just wouldn't understand...

Though maybe this time, I can actually shake hands with him--he was miserable with pain and had enough people bugging him at "A Boy an His Dog," and I didn't want to stick my bulky body in his already-overcrowded personal space just for a handhsake and a dopey, "Wow, you're my literary hero and 'Ellison Wonderland' is what brought me to L.A., and thanks for the pinball story, etc." moment.

Don't get me wrong, though. I do feel lucky to have been so close to him during the raving ("STOP with the HANDS!") without incurring said wrath, and to have gotten such a close-up look at his right elbow. Ha.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:20 am

Name: Brian Siano
From Metafilter:

"Bob Claster was a DJ on KCRW in Los Angeles. In the 80's he had a comedy show called Funny Stuff and he would interview comedians. He has many of these interviews online as mp3s. He interviewed Tom Lehrer, Douglas Adams, Danny Arnold (a.k.a. Barney Miller), Peter Cook, Terry Jones, two interviews with John Cleese, one solo and another with Michael Palin, Emo Philips, Billy Connolly, Mort Sahl, Quentin Crisp, "Brother Theodore" Gottlieb, June Foray and Bill Scott (a.k.a. Rocky and Bullwinkle and an epic five-part interview with Stan Freberg...."

http://bobclaster.com/

Zack Malatesta

No Varmints!

Postby Zack Malatesta » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 am

Name: Zack Malatesta
Steve Barber!:

Oh, yeah?! Well you tell Harlan that I've got an Ellison trap in my yard baited with something something diplodocus something something....

Everyone knows that Ellisons can't avoid a big steaming pile of something something fantastic four something something....

I'm perched on my roof with my Nite-Vision Goggle(TM), a bunch of shingles, and a crude elastic catapult assembly I've been using to test my new theory of gravity! Any Ellison's caught in the trap will be bombarded with shingles-infected shingles. That's herpes zoster folks, scraped off the face of one of my advertising buddies who got it in a big, wierd pile of mascot suits in Las Vegas. Do you want furry Las Vegas face herpes? I sure as hell don't!

So stay away! Don't tread on me! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord! Sic semper evello herpes Ellisonis! Pronoun copula adverb adverb adjective preposition Proper Noun! Indignation, indignation!

Now I don't remember what I was talking about....

ZM

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”