Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Peter David

Postby Peter David » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Name: Peter David
Source: unca20090603.htm
"5. Betty Rubble. I don't know why, everyone else seems to want too."

Did you ever see the (I believe it was season 3 opening) episode of "Red Dwarf" during which Lister and the Cat are discussing who'd they'd rather shag, Wilma or Betty. Lister admits to an undying passion for Wilma before admitting that this is quite possibly the most pointless conversation they'd ever had. Why? "She'd never leave Fred."

PAD

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
Shagin: Congratulations, woman! Well done!

Harlan: is it possible that your hamsters are related to Turn-Around Norman?

Faisal A. Qureshi

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Peter,

Yes that was taken from Red Dwarf.

I even worked on the same show as Craig Charles last Summer when helping out on Corrie (Coronation Street, probably the longest running soap in the world).

And while we're on RD, I once had to review a Red Dwarf movie script.

God almighty awful pile of trash. It was written for those people who actually liked the last three piss poor seasons when one of the original writers left. It catered to that audience who worshipped the show as if it was Dostoevsky. Unfunny, forced humour and a sloany chick as some love interest.

I had to tell the potential investor to pass on the project.

If it had been produced, it would have made Dave Stewarts "Honest" a work of art.

FAQ

Brian Phillips

Note to Faisal: The longest running Soap Opera is...

Postby Brian Phillips » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Name: Brian Phillips
"Guiding Light", which started on television in 1952, but was on radio in 1937, although it was canceled several times during it's radio run.

As for Red Dwarf, I agree about the drop in quality, which makes the return of the show later this year a scary prospect.

Brian Phillips

Amy Kostyn-Jenkins

Day late, but I do have a dollar.

Postby Amy Kostyn-Jenkins » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Name: Amy Kostyn-Jenkins
The "Heavy Metal" chick people (to me) inexplicably drool over is Taarna. Frankly, I think her build's a little off-kilter.

And back to the depths I sink, ala Ricou Browning.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:31 am

Name: Iain Aitken
Red Dwarf may have dropped in quality but its coming back to our screens. One of the UK satelite channels has given the green light for a new mini series (instead of the movie which had been predicted) which goes to show that you cant keep a good (if declining) series down.

Dennis C

Noir Screenings

Postby Dennis C » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:36 am

Name: Dennis C
Just wanted to recommend to anyone in the L.A. area the Film Noir Festival at the Egyptian Theater with the American Cinematheque starting next week. I just about live at the theater during this time (yeah I wear a trenchcoat... wait, I wear stuff underneath it, too).

Here's the list (ending right before Harlan's schedule at the New Bev):

Thursday, April 2
7:30 PM OUT OF THE PAST & THE COMPANY SHE KEEPS

Friday, April 3
7:30 PM ALIAS NICK BEAL & FLY-BY- NIGHT

Saturday, April 4
7:30 PM ROSES ARE RED & SMOOTH AS SILK

Sunday, April 5
7:30 PM SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS & NOCTURNE

Thursday, April 9
7:30 PM TWO O'CLOCK COURAGE & DESPERATE

Friday, April 10
7:30 PM ENFORCER & CONVICTED

Saturday, April 11
7:30 PM THE RACKET & WOMAN ON PIER 13

Sunday, April 12
7:30 PM WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS & BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT

Thursday, April 16
7:30 PM DEADLINE U.S.A. & CHICAGO DEADLINE

Friday, April 17
7:30 PM THE OCTOBER MAN & SLEEP MY LOVE

Saturday, April 18
7:30 PM THE PROWLER & CHANCE MEETING

Sunday, April 19
1:30 PM Ann Savage Memorial Tribute (Free Admission) Tickets at the door only.

Sunday, April 19
7:30 PM WALK SOFTLY STRANGER & CHICAGO SYNDICATE

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:29 am

Name: Frank Church
News reader, I take it your idea of news is the National Enquirer? As you have noticed we do not live in an anarchist country, anarchism is an experimental ideal for a future society, one we have yet to have. For now, even wild radicals like me approve of prisons, as long as they hold the right people, and more importantly, if actual justice is being equally applied. Sure we would like to see a society with no crime, no bad vibes, cats and dogs living together, but right now we live in a stank hole.

Jail the rich is what I say.

News Reader, best you read a bit more about stuff before you ignorantly spout off.

-----------

"lana made a picture at school today, one that made her mama cry.

A Picture of a woman with a drink in her hand, standing by a child with no eyes.

Washington's reaction based on revenge, children blown to kingdom come.

Damn the logic."

Prince.

Adam-Troy

Egoboo

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Just a word to note that my novella "The Shallow End of the Pool" has just been nominated for Bram Stoker award. Woot.

BrianSiano

_Heavy Metal_

Postby BrianSiano » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:18 am

Name: Brian Siano
I liked the magazine, of course, at least when they ran stuff from the French artists who inspired it, like Moebius and Duillet or Caza. Those were astounding.

But you had to slog through a lot of artists content to slaver over massive tits, powerful guns, sub-John Norman fantasy and and idiotic punk attytood. It was a while before I could appreciate Richard Corben, because the first thing of his I'd seen was _Den_, and...

So the movie comes out, and I'm sorta hoping that _despite_ all the in-mgazine press about no boundaries and freedom and the work on the "Taarna" sequence, there's going to be something really terrific there. There was, in bits; the "Captain Stern" sequence was wonderful, and I liked the WWII horror sequence and the cab-driver-private-dick segment for a while... but we got _Den_ and that idiotic Taarna crap at the end when we could have been seeing something by Moebius.

So the recent _South Park_ parody was fuckin' _hilarious_ for me.

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 am

Name: shagin
A-TC: I second your wootage, sir! That announcement beats being poked in the eye with two sharp sticks and not just one.

And by your "Woot!" do I detect a bit of gamer in you?

shagin

TallyJohnson

YAY! for A-T C

Postby TallyJohnson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:39 am

Name: Tally
Nicely done. From one to another.

Adam-Troy

-

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
SUSAN: Not an issue yet, I think; these things take time. Just noting that the package has not arrived yet, nor has the shipment shown up on tracking. Pbly a few more days.

Zak Malatesto

�Ai, Dios mio!

Postby Zak Malatesto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Name: Zak Malatesto
No! As I write, the NSA and ATF are banging down my door! The have discovered my horrible secret: that I am in fact an illegal Mexican immigrant and smuggler of deadly narcotics! Yes, friends, the Zack Malatesta you know and love is but a lie! I am actually Verjulio Lococabeza, master of the Tijuana-Colombia drug cartel that has so masterfully wormed its way into every aspect of your decadent American lives. If only you had listened to our nemesis Lou Dobbs, maybe you could have saved yourselves and your children.

The G-men have knocked down the door! I have only a few seconds of safety as they mow through my stereptypically Catholic wife and our many, many children! Ai, Dios mo! I am done for! But I can rest assured that all my billions of Mexican cartel brothers are steady at their work in every neighborhood of every small town in the United States of America!

Viva las Zapatos! Ai! They have killed me...

Your secret master,
Verjulio Lococabeza

News Reader

Irony

Postby News Reader » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Name: News Reader
The irony was obvious. I wrote what anyone might think after reading any of your many screeds upon anarchism and then comparing them to such aphorisms of the Church variety as "jail the rich".

That you insulted me with an allegation of reading the National Enquirer is silly. But there you have it, you are often a writer of silly things.

Thank you for letting me know I have written something that upset you, as I may wish at sometime in the future to upset you again.

Back to lurking.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”