Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Dennis C

Lawsuit press

Postby Dennis C » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:46 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20090603.htm
The lawsuit is on page 2 of DAILY VARIETY -- nice placement. No mention in REPORTER or L.A. TIMES that I can find...yet.

In the same issue of VARIETY, they mention that they're doing a remake of Val Lewton's I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE by Adam Marcus -- who did one of those JASON movies years ago. urgg...

Dennis C

one more mention of lawsuit

Postby Dennis C » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:48 am

Sorry -- just noticed that Nikki Finke picked up the item at her www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com site -- calling Harlan a "Professional Curmudgeon"...

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:25 am

Name: Steve Barber

"just so you can float your fat asses in warm Bahamian waters."

"flecks of blood on Ellison's otherwise charming face."

I'm howling.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:26 am

Oh. And the lawsuit was mentioned at 7:10 this morning on KFWB New 980.

Dennis Thompson

Go get 'em!

Postby Dennis Thompson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:29 am

Name: Dennis Thompson
Here's hoping you finally receive justice in your fight with Paramount.
The jerks over at Fark.com used this headline for the story:
( Quote )
Harlan Ellison's bitter, cybernetic corpse sues "Star Trek" over 1967 TV episode. "It ain't about the 'principle,' friend, it's about the money! Pay me!"
( end Quote )
I'd like to see their reaction if someone stole their work.
Give 'em hell Harlan!

remarck

Star Dreck

Postby remarck » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:52 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Harlan,

Congrats on the lawsuit. I'm sorry to see you having to resort to court again to force others to behave appropriately, but if youre still feeling like fighting the fight, there is hope that yet another precedent will be made, and creators of all kinds will benefit. You couldn't have better timing, either, what with the imminent release of the next Star Trek movie. Was that on purpose?

Rob,

Just wanted to pass along a congrats. I'm very impressed you were able to muster up the fortitude (and money!) to get back to Connecticut. It's been a pleasure to read of your accounting of that trip. Your pre-Connecticut postings were extremely frustrating, as I would have never in a billion years allowed myself to be in that position, and I could feel my skin crawling as you described the circular thinking that seemed to trap your spirit. At one point, I screamed JUST DO IT! and people came down to my office to check in on me to make sure I was okay. I should never read this site at work. Your description of your internal mental workings evoked a Poe-like shroud of dark suspense and impotent frustration. If you could milk that, you could make a ton of money in Hollywood.

All,

Ive wanted to comment on the on-going political discussion about Rush raised by Boop and continued by Gary, but I thought the responses from Josh, JohnE and Mark appropriately argued the point.

As an anti-Republican, I find it funny that the GOP is so fractured right now. Obviously this is a temporary thing, but it will be interesting to see who takes control of the party. I find both the social and the fiduciary wings of the party to be odious, in that the ideas espoused by both sides are regressive and divisive, and not sustainable in the long run either politically or socially. But it doesnt seem to keep them from trying to foist them on us. For example, many developed countries throughout the world have a form of universal health-care. This has been implemented in various ways, to greater or lesser success, depending on how they do it. But it has been shown to work, and to benefit a great many people. I would love for a Republican to show me an example of a country run on the strict financial and/or social principles espoused by the Republican Party. I have been trying to cull forth from my grey cells the name of such an exemplar country, but I cannot find one. I believe it is because it does not exist, but I am willing to be open-minded about it. Find me a developed country that has very little if any taxation (and no state-owned natural resources), little or no regulation of businesses, and a weak central government. In short, find me the model for the Ideal Republican Party Country.

Notice the GOP is no longer touting the privatization of Social Security? It sure was a hot topic during the years the market was hitting all time artificial highs every month. I guess some ideas just arent good when held up to scrutiny. However, the Democratic Party has been pushing for Americanized Healthcare since at least 1992and the idea is as good today as it was when it was first posited. I wonder how anyone can think that a profit-driven healthcare system is good. The Capitalistic argument is that people wont innovate without money as motivator, but shouldnt my doctor, and those in the sciences, as well as those in the teaching profession, and those who work in thankless and salary-modest government jobs, look at me for me, and not at some cash cow they can milk? Innovation through humanism.

-Keith

Kell Brown

Paramount

Postby Kell Brown » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:02 am

Name: Kell Brown
Good for you.

Since your doing the WGA's job where do I send my donation for the legal fight?

The Night Manager

Postby The Night Manager » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 am

Name: The Night Manager

Harlan:

I have $15 I'd like to kick into the kitty for legal costs re: Ellison vs. The Lying Bastards at Paramount.

Where do I send it?

Signed,

The Night Manager

TallyJohnson

Lawsuit sighting

Postby TallyJohnson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:10 am

Name: Tally
On newsarama.com, just under the featured story box. I would advise avoiding the comments, just to save a BP pill.

Jordan Owen

VIDEO PRESS RELEASE UPDATE

Postby Jordan Owen » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 am

Name: Jordan Owen
As of this posting, I'm pleased to report that my video reading of the Ellison v. Star Trek has been mirrored by three other Youtube users with a fourth on the way. I will also be contacting other users with whom I am friends and whom have large audiences on YT. We recently assisted a YT user named Thunderf00t in making a similar video of his go viral, so I'm sure they'll be glad to help. Adding up the total number of hits on mine and all mirror sites, the video has received 284 hits in the 8 or so hours that it has been up.

More updates to follow!

Ave Satanis,
-Jordan

Dennis C

More Lawsuit press

Postby Dennis C » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:02 am

sorry for multiple posts, but DeFamer picked it up and loves the press release:

http://defamer.gawker.com/5170682/if-la ... otally-win

Kevin Avery

Ron Silver

Postby Kevin Avery » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:33 am

Name: Kevin Avery
Frank, I agree -- Ron Silver was indeed a decent actor and turned in many fine performances (especially his turn as Alan Dershowitz in REVERSAL OF FORTUNE). In addition to the part he played in THE ARRIVAL, a film for which HE has expressed some admiration, he also, if I'm not mistaken, appeared on POLITICALLY CORRECT with HE about a decade or so ago.

Alex Schor

Postby Alex Schor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:41 am

Name: Alex Schor
Give Paramount hell, Harlan. They deserve it. I can think of few things more satisfying than prying a leech off your neck that's been sucking your blood for 35 years, claiming it's anemic all the while.

On a completely unrelated matter, the Sci-Fi Channel (which I vaguely remember as once, a long time ago, being a channel that was worth tuning into) has officially changed its name to "SyFy."

At least you knew what you were getting with the old name. Needless to say this gives me one more reason to avoid a channel I don't watch anyway.

Alex Schor

Jim Thomas

Oh, for the love of Christ...

Postby Jim Thomas » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:07 am

Name: Jim Thomas
http://gawker.com/5170592/syfy-is-the-new-sci+fi

"NBC Universal's Sci-Fi Channel is changing its name to the "SyFy channel," a name that is apparently easier for children to text to one another and will therefore increase the company's earnings dramatically.

'SyFy' sounds exactly like 'Sci Fi when you say it, but, as Richard noted in the Trade Roundup, NBC Universal will own it now. For years, NBC executives had longed to trademark the channel's own name, but legal kept telling them you can't trademark a genre of entertainment for lonely obsessives. So they spent years, and paid a branding company gobs of money, to come up with SyFy."

I feel better about BSG ending now; I would have felt dirty for watching it on SyFy.

Seriously. What fucking moron thought this was a good idea?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:22 am

A nasty third post for which I will do penance, but the New York Times has taken note of Harlan's lawsuit and even attached a link to the Youtube preview of CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... %22&st=cse

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”