Pavilion Digest: March 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

TallyJohnson

I am so jealous of all of you

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:34 am

Name: Tally
Source: unca20090314.htm
who went to see A Boy and His Dog (and the Harlan and Josh Show) at the Beverly. I'll content myself with the DVD of same I got for Christmas.

Harlan- I have a copy of A Scream in the Dark edited by Marc Gerald. It's the Barnes and Noble edition from 2007 and according to the cover, it includes one of your stories fro mthe "juvie" days. If you are interested, I'll be happy to shoot it to you. As a fellow sufferer with back pain, follow the Doc's advice and feel better.

Andrew Laubacher

crackle

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:11 am

Name: Andrew Laubacher
DTS,

I was assuming that crackle was an alternate name for cracklins, basically fried pork fat with a little bit of skin still attached. From Wikipedia: "Cracklins are generally considered to be part of Cajun cuisine, but can also be found in Soul food. Cracklins are not frequently served as part of a regular meal unless they are served in cracklin bread, which is cornbread in which cracklins have been placed in the batter prior to its being baked or fried. Rather, they are a snack item which would typically be served at times other than regular mealtimes, and are regarded as more of a delicacy or treat."

I see, though, that the crackle to which you refer is a somewhat different iteration on the basic theme. I can't quite decide if it sounds tastey, scary or both.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:18 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Gary (or Boop, or whatever you are calling yourself today),

I am generally reluctant to get into pissing contests. It is demeaning for me and would doubtless be embarrassing for you. However, in the interest of fairness, I really cannot let your assertions go unchallenged. Carville was asked specifically about Pres. Bush's political vulnerability. His response was targeted towards that and he stated:

"I dont care if people like him or not, just so they dont vote for him and his party. That is all I care about. I hope he doesnt succeed, but I am a partisan democrat."

Compare that with Rush's statements (and I did try to find some relevant information in the link you posted but could only read parts of the Rush website before I had to tie my hands down to keep them from clawing my eyes out; in addition to being a pompous, drug addicted ass, the guy is a terrible writer) that he wanted the President to fail. This is not a question of disagreeing with certain policies or stating that they are not founded on sound economic principle, this is hoping that millions of Americans suffer for crass political purposes.

As for the poll you quoted, once again you conflate a political agenda with a personal one. Others have stated more eloquently than I the fallacy of this assumption so I am left with two possible outcomes: either you do not have the intellectual capacity to distinguish the difference or willful ignorance. In either circumstance, I cannot see any productive dialogue occurring between us.

One final note, your claim that you posted that comment for Josh alone rings hollow. Why not send it to him directly? He is an Oscar-nominated writer, he is not that difficult to find. No, you posted it here hoping for a response and you got one, albeit not from Josh. Happy now?

Mark

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:03 am

Name: Frank Church
Siano and the rest: I have been telling you guys about the capitalist system for years, now Jon Stewart wakes you up--fine, but I have been saying--year after year--that this system rewards the few and destroys the rest. This is what they do--they scheme and twist the markets for short term profits, not thinking about the bad side at the edge of the crash site. These people are mind criminals at beast, sociopaths at least.

I almost felt sorry for Cramer--he's not the problem, this is just a game and he is one of the players. When you start believing the game is all there is, you start thinking piss is a fine spring shower.

This entire system is corrupt and must be abolished.

-------------

Josh, Joe Scarborough just talked about the "poor lighting director" who got yelled at by Christian Bale.

Call his radio show sometime--tell him off.

MichaelRapoport

more Jon Stewart goodness

Postby MichaelRapoport » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:29 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
Brian and Brian, and anyone else who's interested: If you haven't already seen Jon Stewart's original, hilarious rant against CNBC that led to the Stewart-Cramer "feud," and culminated in last night's interview, you really owe it to yourself. It's the most incisive piece of media criticism that will also make you spit milk out of your nose with laughter.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... ial-Advice

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Yes, Jon Stewart deserves credit. Not only did he catch Cramer in hellacious hypocrisy with his segments, but he also gave a tough, reasoned, and difficult interview, the kind of thing the mainstream press has forgotten how to do.

And one more thing on TV that redeems the teat.

I am deeply enjoying my latest DVD acquisition, season one of Breaking Bad.

There were only seven episodes in this season, but it's the most remarkable and most eccentric crime drama since DEXTER. Concept: Walt (Brian Cranston) is a brilliant high school chemistry teacher with a son disabled by cerebral palsy and a credit card debt so high that he works nights at the local car wash.

Walt seems to have given up on life, but things change when he is told that he is dying of lung cancer; he decides to go into the crystal meth business, and make as much cash as he can, for his family's benefit, until the illness claims him.

This is, of course, a very bad idea, that immediately puts the mild-mannered Walt up against some very bad people. But Walt has a talent for criminality that surprises and appalls him...and it's not long -- hell, not even one entire episode -- before he has blood on his hands.

BREAKING BAD is dark, funny, eccentric, and gory as hell, a sun-baked New Mexico noir that has at its heart the dilemma of a decent man who has made a very bad decision and has by so doing put himself on a fast track to damnation. Season Two has just started, with Walt even more fucked than he was before. It has
one hell of a kick.

And one thing that's especially good about it: it doesn't absolve Walt by giving him no other choice. He is provided one hell of a generous alternative to this awful thing he's doing, early on. He takes the bad road ANYWAY, we are allowed to see it, and we are still given reason to root for him even as we believe him misguided and damned.

The Best TV has improved quite a bit since the days when every protagonist had to be a paragon. (The worst TV has, alas, gotten worse: recall HURL.)

New author website (not replacing, but in addition to, my old one). Some of the essays should be familiar to folks here.

http://www.harpercollins.com/authors/33210/index.aspx

SUSAN: as discussed, package on the way from Morpheus. I have sent a separate letter with details of the requested personalizations. Thanks again!

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:28 am

Name: Josh Olson
Semi,

Let me just clarify one thing for the sake of accuracy - Harlan was late for dinner. Neither of us were late for the movie. One usually does these Q&As after the film, not before.

Also, much as I appreciate your desire for the night to last forever, there was no way we were going to simply drop the screening afterwards. A lot of folks - including the poor bastard who was sleeping next to my girlfriend, who Harlan and I made great sport of - had come a good distance to see The Day The Earth Caught Fire. It's a grand film, and there's only one print of it in existence. Thanks to Joe Dante, we had it last night, and I was happily surprised to see how many folks stayed to watch it.

Rob,

Oh, THAT Rob.

It was Houseman.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:51 am

Name: Steve Barber

Last night was a wonderful evening for all concerned (with the possible exception of Josh as he tried -- desperately and futily -- to maintain control over our dear leader.

(First,allow me to clarify. Rob did indeed dance naked around my table at dinner. The waiter was not amused, and I told Rob repeatedly that while I refer to my self as a Bohemian Hedonist, it did not include public nudity and/or anything resembling food. But he was in a good mood, so we let him go until it became clear he was in danger of catching cold.)

In attendance (from Webderland) were Jason and Cynthia Davis, Rob, Duane, and apparently Semi-writer and Dennis C (and, as I suspect, the person sitting on the row about halfway back -- just in front of us -- who knew about the elephant joke's multiple answers as covered here in the last week...). (And, o course, Josh; Harlan; the ever-wonderful Susan; Josh's beautiful lady Vanessa; and her sister.)

Josh handily intro'd the movie, which was followed by a serious flashback series of "Coming Soon" trailers and "Feature Presentation" titles. I easily could have been a ten year old again, hunkered down at the neighborhood theater.

The film was a lot of fun -- many of us had previously seen it, but it was nice to view with a more pristine print.

Despite an agonzing back injury -- and we won't discuss the circumstances which would find Harlan on the roof of his house,other than to tsk, tsk, tsk him about it -- the esteemed Mr. Ellison (which he promptly corrected to "Harlan") was in solid form.

In other words, Josh couldn't get a word in edgewise. As much as Harlan might object to the species mentioned here, trying to reign him in is something akin to herding cats. Josh made a noble effort but finally jumped up, sat on the proscenium and began munching Harlan's popcorn.

There is no real way to recreate a Harlan stand up...er, "lecture", so I won't even try. The audience laughed at most of the proper spots, and when we didn't Harlan castigated the lot of us for not getting the joke. Highlights had to include his discovery of two members of the audience caught napping (*gasp*); the recounting of how LQ Jones got the director's slot; and someof the backstory of how the film came to be shot in the first place.

Lowlights: The frequent gasps of pain as Harlan's back spasmed out. And the fanboy in the lobby who was ignoring Harlan's repeated (and pained) entreaties to just sign a couple of things, not the five in the guy's hands. There were no seats or other resting spots, so standing and signing was a challenge which went largely ignored by this one guy.

I got home an hour and a half later than expected -- and this could not POSSIBLY be the result of someone running way overtime and giving the audience more than a good return on our measly $7 investment.

A HUGE thanks go to Josh for "sponsoring" the evening, which was easily one of the most fun this year for all of us (save Harlan's back).

Good to see everyone, and hopefully next month's Ellison Series will go as well.

(DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH and THE DISCARDED are being shown on the 23rd. "Dibs -- I get shotgun!")

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 am

Name: Duane
Hey Harlan,

Sorry for "staring" last night. It's been a rough couple of months, and I was just digging the conversation.

And yes, I spoke to my mother this morning, and she told me I was finally old enough to know the truth....

Great to see Steve again, great to meet Rob! Hope to see more of you all next month.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:23 am

Name: Josh Olson
Steve,

"In other words, Josh couldn't get a word in edgewise. As much as Harlan might object to the species mentioned here, trying to reign him in is something akin to herding cats. Josh made a noble effort but finally jumped up, sat on the proscenium and began munching Harlan's popcorn."

For the record - playing Harlan's straight man is always fun, but usually pretty thankless. Do not believe for a minute that I somehow showed up last night with a list of organized questions and a structured gameplan. The joy of these evenings is winding up the little monkey and letting him run wild.

K. M. Kirby

1 Way Out

Postby K. M. Kirby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:40 am

Name: kevIN KIrby (inki)
As I recall from the treatment given me for back spasms 20 yrs ago, one important cure involves a gravity machine. This therapy involves getting hung by the heels, week after week, until upside-down chinups become easier than lifting a box of books. All the inverted stuff supposedly builds up certain muscles which surround the spinal discs, thus ensuring that none of them actually pop the next time you pick up a book pile the wrong way!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Name: Rob
Josh,

From "That" Rob (I'll put that on my business card!):

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! A.E. Housman!

Yeah, thanks.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Name: Rob
BTW, Harlan won't have to answer my L.Q. Jones question. I already know what Mr. Jones' response was, despite acknowledging the purpose of the movie's closing line. ("True, it parts from the story, but the college crowd likes the line and I want it to make money").

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Harlan,

OUCH! Even minor back spasms hurt like a motherfucker. I hope this clears up as soon as possible. And whatever you did to screw up you back -- well, stop doing it. Or lift with you legs or something useless like that.

Chuck

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:01 pm

Name: Alan Coil
Sometimes back pain is caused by a rib moving out of place.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”