Pavilion Digest: February 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Tony Rabig

The Prophet

Postby Tony Rabig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Name: Tony Rabig
Source: unca20090314.htm
Oh, just one more thing, he Columboed --

onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/search?author=gibran&amode=words

That link will take you to the Online Books Page listing for Gibran's works online. The text of The Prophet is listed as available at an Australian site, with no US access. Depending on the site linked to, you may or may not be able to pull up the text anyway (a no-no from the US), or if you're just trying to nail down a quotation, perhaps some Australian webderlander can pull up the text and confirm it for you.

Bests,

--tr

Hmm again

Last time, I promise

Postby Hmm again » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Name: Hmm again
Keith -- not Harlan's can I'm worried about at the mo'.

Anyway, there is this, no doubt illegal, posting within the U.S.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jrcole/g ... rophet.htm

, but it would be ironic if HE went that route. Should work on dialup, though.

KOS

The Prophet is online

Postby KOS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Name: KOS
"The Prophet" is online, the full text at:

http://www.angelfire.com/wi2/ULCds/gibranA.html

I have no idea if it is authorized, but it seems pretty high visibility to be a pirate "edition".

KOS

Charlie

Gibran

Postby Charlie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:05 pm

Name: Charlie
Harlan, If you choose not to use any of the aforementioned options, I'm happy to shoot my copy your way when you say the word.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
CHARLIE:

Yes, I'd like to take you up on the offer. Via HERC, or to me directly at my home address if you have it. You can get same on the downlow via Rick Wyatt or Steve Barber. I'll get the book back to you ASAP. Postage will be repaid, of course.

Thanks, Charlie. Harlan

tuttle300

About Libraries

Postby tuttle300 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:10 am

Name: Franky4posts
In defense of Harlan (not that he needs defending) and the recent poster's wondering why he just doesnt use the local library for said book in question--
I myself have to use Amazon as well as Albiris (or is it Alibris?) online books, because your basic local library (even one as large as L.A.'s probably won't have a book. Especially an old copy of something you'd really, really like to read. It's just the way it is.
Oh sure, they'll have dozens of copies of James Patterson and Stephen King, but something that may be recently out of print, by an author who only sold 285 copies of a really good book that nobody bought (with the rest of the copies getting sent back to get pulped), is much more difficult to accomplish

Besides, libraries (like many good used bookstores)have only so much physical space and they have to deal with zillions of books that are already part of their catalog in addition to deciding any new titles to buy (and make room for) each year in addition to the inexcusably small operating budgets they are forced to deal with. (And here's an idea--We build large "wings" for hospitals and colleges through donations--the mind is just as important as the body--how come more local wealthy folks don't drop a tax incentived donation to a local library that could USE another few thousand feet of space and help out the next generation of readers eager to USE the library systems of America? There are thousands of books published EACH year and the libraries, many of which may have the money to buy the books, may not have the ROOM, which is sad)

Also-- I would think the new "free" copies of older tomes that have been made available online (can't think of names right now- sorry) more than likely wouldn't have a copy either because, as I said, thats just the way it is.

If I had the book I'd help him out no questions asked but alas, I don't. But I understand his plight.
Hope you find a copy Harlan.

Dennis C

RH 47

Postby Dennis C » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 am

Name: Dennis C
Rabbit Hole #47 landed in faraway Glendale. Muchas Gracias.

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:27 am

Name: Charlie
Harlan, Ok, no problem, I'll mail it today to your home. (I still have the address from when we replaced one of the broken sailing ship glasses from the quake about a decade ago.)

TallyJohnson

Thanks to Alan and Paul

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05 am

Name: Tally
I appreciate the advice. I'll keep in all in mind and put it in practice. Paul, I hope you bought the wife some of my books during your spree.

Adam-Troy

MILK vs. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:09 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
(One of the occasional posts from my own newsgroup, elsewhere, that I feel I must cc here. It's lengthy; I provide the URL because that's less intrusive. But do read this. Essentially: why I found SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE profoundly unsatisfying, and why MILK showed me why. One of my better rants, I think.)

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&gr ... tnum=29590

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:17 am

Name: Steve Barber

ATC - Excellent piece. I agree with you wholeheartedly that two even-closely-related works of art should never be compared, but that's just the nature of the beast. Everything tends to be measured (as you do in the column) against the percieved "best" in any field.

I have not seen either of the two films you discuss, but would venture the following: "good" is in the eye/ear/senses of the beholder. A perfect example if this is the controversially "good" film MOULIN ROUGE. Some people insist it's crap, others insist it's really a wonderfully done film. (I'm in the latter group, but fifteen minutes into it I overheard my sister in law as she leaned into my wife and said "what the HELL are we watching???")

But I do completely agree with your point (from a theoretical level) regarding the role of the protagonist in a film. I've got no reason to doubt your argument about the protagonists in either of these films and how they impact your ultimate opinion.

(Wow. Is that vague enough to escape "spoilerage" but at the same time convey a partially coherent comment???)

"I'm on this damned diet and..." Observation: Is it me, or do the last few bits of fiber cereal floating in milk bear an uncanny resemblance to viruses on a medical slide???

TALLY - A belated congrats on the Con invite. Very cool. (Discussing SC ghosts or is it another topic???) As someone who has never graduated beyond hecklin...er, WATCHING others as they talk, it looks like a lot of fun.

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:21 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Thank you to:

The Great Morans: You made my life a little easier. The gift of chocolates came at a time when I had the WORST COLD EVER. Two days in bed stuffing my face got me through it. Thank you.

I think I did, but if I didn't..."thank you" to Shagin for the very kind gift from a couple of months ago. Much appreciated.

With very kind regards--Susan

TallyJohnson

To Steve B.

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 am

Name: Tally
Yes, I'll be rambling about SC ghosts at ConCarolinas. It's all part of my grand plan to heckle the "Ghost Hunters" from a panel at DragonCon instead of risking the loot by doing from the floor.

Brian Phillips

Not for Prophet motives

Postby Brian Phillips » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:56 am

Name: Brian Phillips
I have never read the book, but, thankfully, I only heard the album once.

It has readings and songs.

I think I am not a father partially due to this.

Brian Phillips

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Name: Frank Church
Adam Troy Castro, I posted on your site.

---------------

Look at this crazy shit:

http://wcbstv.com/national/hillary.clin ... 45238.html

Notice who they don't ask for comments.

--------------

Steve King is hopeful that three chord rock will make a comeback. With Springsteen playing the Superbowl you never know.

Actually, guitar rock is like the Energizer Bunny. Blue collar kids just like their noise.

----------

Collectively sipping from the communal spigot, let's give the kids clean water: Obama, get us out of Iraq. No peace keepers, no anything. We have to get out now.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”