Pavilion Digest: February 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Paul Michael Barkan

Audio Books

Postby Paul Michael Barkan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:47 am

Name: Paul Michael Barkan
Source: unca20090314.htm
Michael Rapoport wrote, "The text-to-voice technology of Amazon's new Kindle is going to cut into income from audio books, too."

. . . and not just the income paid to the authors, but also to the fine actors/vocal artists who perform the books.

Adam-Troy

RIP

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:08 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Philip Jose Farmer.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 am

Name: Steve Barber

ROBERT - You made a difference, whether recognized by Mom or kid. The minivan driver noted it, and you noted it.

Imagine the worst of scenarios: You were not there. The child was hit and injured. A mother angry (but oblivious to her own culpability), a driver agonized that she had hurt a kid.

You made a difference.

DOC - You've passed a milestone, but in my experience now is where it becomes your own personal voyage. May you have smooth waters and red skies at night.

Obama did a decent if not spectacular job last night. It's so nice not to cringe periodically while listening to a speech by our President. Whether you agree with Obama's politics or not, at least he sounds Presidential.

(I am finding it spectacularly disingenuous that the Republican Party -- after years of engaging in an unbridled drunken spree with the nation's pocketbook -- is now referring to the bailout plan with a "tsk, tsk" condescension.)

David Loftus

good works

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 am

Name: David Loftus
Robert:

You did the right thing. In more ways than one.

It was most likely the right thing not to speak to the mother. She would probably have taken it out on the kid further in her embarassment, after you'd gone. There's little chance you could have made up for all the damage she's doing and has done to him already.

The only thing I might have wished for is a brief moment to speak to the kid and make sure he understood that you were trying to help him out, and that on the right occasion it's not a bad thing to put his own safety before his mother's demands. He may have gotten it anyway, we can only hope.

Dennis C

Philip Jose Farmer

Postby Dennis C » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:53 am

Name: Dennis C
Kudos to Farmer -- he did some great work. I'm currently in the middle of his WORLD OF TIERS series, which is magnificent. And he made it to 91.

Odd that he was being discussed here just recently...

BrianSiano

Philip Jose Farmer

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:08 am

Name: Brian Siano
It's as though Phil had read every adventure story in existence, decided he could do better, and had a blast doing it. There was the short story "Riders of the Purple Wage" which was a rollicking standout from the famous _Dangerous Visions_ anthology. There was _Doc Savage: An Apocalyptic Life_ where Farmer speculated that every single major action hero in literature, from Doc Savage to Sherlock Holmes to the Shadow and more, was descended from a team of families who'd encountered a radioactive meteorite in the 1700's. There was _The Other Log of Phileas Fogg_, where Jules Verne's adventure is revealed as only half the story-- the other half being even _more_ interesting. I didn't get around to _Jesus on Mars_ (great title) or _The Adventure of the Peerless Peer_, where Sherlock Holmes meets Tarzan.

And when fictional characters weren't enough, Farmer had the Riverworld... where _everyone who ever lived_ joined the cast of a typically outlandish Farmer story.

I think it's wonderful that Phil Farmer grew up to rank with Dumas and Sabatini. I hope he knew he did.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 am

Name: Cindy
Harlan,
I am so sorry . Philip Jose Farmer was amazing.

Cindy

Doc,
I didnt know you had kinfolks in Austin. Thats where I grew up.. Back in the 70s. Are you in Texas?
I still wish I could say something to help you-- but words are diluted medicine at times. Youre still in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Cindy

Robert Ross,
You DID do something great-- I think you probably saved the kid. As for his mom-- her reaction could have been atypical for all we know. She may have yelled at the child because she was mad at herself for not going and grabbing him by the hand instead of just yelling at him to get over here. I hate to admit this but at times, we moms tend to fuck up. I know Ive done the same thing-- on occasion. You get a near miss and it rattles you to your marrow-- you have to release that pent up panic so you turn on the kid and say, See? You see? You coulda gotten yourself KILLED! Its a mixture of horror, self recrimination and beautiful blessed relief pouring over you. So many parents now days feel awash with guilt for spanking their kids. I dont think Ive ever spanked Paris or Briggs-- but a couple of my older kids were hard mouthed. Youd have to stand up in the stirrups and pull the bit through the backs of their heads to get them to whoa on anything. I remember one of my close friends came over in tears and confessed to me that she had spanked her son, David, in anger. I said, Awww, Betsy, don't cry! Youre not bad! The ONLY way Ill spank one of mine is in anger. I have to really be motivated.

Robert, you asked if you have confronted her? No, darlin-- you did just right. She knows she dropped the ball and it nearly cost her everything. She yelled at the kid, but I can nearly guarantee shell hug him more tightly for the next month or so. And chances are good-- next time shes not going to let him amble about in a busy parking lot.

Ive had a kid in Mason Elementary school since 1987-- the last of the Mohicans is now in the sixth grade. Every year at Little League time-- the parking lot at the baseball field is filled with cars, parents, little kids and teenagers. I am always stunned at how many parents let their little kids wander around unattended. I dont turn mine loose for a moment. Not even Paris who is a shrewd 12 year old. But Im an old hand at this parenthood thing. The older I get the more I see where things can go awry. I treasure every moment even more than I did when I was a young, mother. I know how soon theyll be gone away with babies of their own.

I hope you are feeling stronger every day and getting well.
Cindy

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 am

Name: Frank Church
Philip Jose Farmer is gone. A sad day for the world of the unreal and real. A real pang should hang in one's chest. The distant bell tolling. We must mourn as we mourn, but remember the stories--they live on. The sadness is universal, the joy of reading forever is with us. Read and bring a great man back from the dead.

He marches into the soft kiss of sun.

john zeock

MR FARMER

Postby john zeock » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 am

Name: john zeock
Phil sails on. We're the ones going over the edge of the world...

Michael Mayhew

Postby Michael Mayhew » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:46 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
Robert: Good on you.

Cindy: And you.

Doc: And you, too.

Gov. Bobby Jindal, however, can boil my shorts and drink the tea.

MM

shagin

Postby shagin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 am

Name: shagin
ROBERT - What just happened is that you cared. And that is never a bad thing. Thank you.

Mr. Farmer's Passing:

The Shadow and Doc Savage are waiting for you in the wings of your imagination, Mr. Farmer, along with a multitude of other colorful characters. You lived and loved a good life. Thank you for allowing us to read along.

Sandra

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MY DEAR GOOD FRIEND, PHILIP JOSE FARMER

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
It was earlier this morning. I came out of the bathroom and Susan had been standing there for a while. There were tears in her eyes. "I have bad news." She had been here and seen Adam's post.

"Phil Farmer died," she said.

I couldn't help myself. I went weak all over and began crying. It hasn't stopped for more than a minute or two. I went back into the bathroom. I cannot think straight.

Ash Wednesday. The long life of the Mardi Gras is over. Such a great and decent and talented man. I have written of him in praise half a dozen times. I don't need to do it again. The Mardi Gras is over.

Bettie Farmer called, and we cried together. there is nothing to say, just nothing and i cannot stop crying

MichaelRapoport

Philip Jose Farmer

Postby MichaelRapoport » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:02 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
Somewhere, if there is any justice, Mr. Farmer is having grand adventures with Richard Francis Burton and Samuel Clemens and Tom Mix and all the rest.

I read the Riverworld books decades ago, but they still stand out in my mind for the sheer speed with which I plowed through them - Farmer was so compelling a storyteller that I just couldn't wait to find out what would happen next.

I was a Doc Savage buff, too, and when I discovered "Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life," with its speculations on Doc and Tarzan and the rest of the Wold Newton universe - well, it just tickled me pink.

Farewell, Mr. Farmer, and thank you for a lifetime of wonderful work. And deepest condolences to you, Harlan, on the loss of your friend.

(Apologies for the double post today, but this just cried out for it. Will stay quiet for a couple of days.)

John E Williams

What Good End

Postby John E Williams » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Name: JohnEWilliams
'I have often wondered for what good end the sensations of grief could be intended. All our other passions, within proper bounds, have an useful object, but what is the use of grief in the economy (of life)?'

- Thomas Jefferson

BillGauthier

Postby BillGauthier » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Name: Bill Gauthier
Harlan,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of Philip Jose Farmer.

Sincerely,
Bill

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”