Pavilion Digest: February 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 am

Name: Jan
Source: unca20090314.htm
Look who's back!
Duane posted about the story in the forum's crawly SPIDER section under PERILOUS TUNNEL-VISIONS. Don't know if he read the story but he usually fakes well.
I'm sending your elusive password. I'd much prefer to give a hint but Rick would kill me instantly.

And Harlan, I doubt any of us are going to send you money - don't lower yourself any more and get a book out for Christ's sake! The Rabbit Hole can only support the two of you for so long.

Dennis C

Mickey Mania

Postby Dennis C » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 am

Name: Dennis C
If any of you get IFC (the Independent Film Channel), please check out Mickey Rourke's acceptance speech at the Independent Spirit Awards. It's non-stop fun: expletives, humiliating pal Eric Roberts, congratulating Marisa Tomei for 'riding the pole' -- I want him to win the Oscar just so he can make the network censors have brain seizures (if they have brains). And maybe send a few blue-haired biddies fainting to the floor.

Yeah, the movie THE WRESTLER wasn't so great, but Mickey's public performance at the award shows has been completely entertaining.

KOS

Payments and Paltrow

Postby KOS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:50 am

Name: KOS
Boss H:

Mailed a check Priority Mail with tracking/delivery confirmation back some three weeks, maybe four week ago. Posted the tracking number on here, but never checked myself to see if delivery was achieved. Susan is off shopping (this being a Sunday it is her day for said sacred rite), but as soon as she returns I will with her able assistance go through the records to see if the package ever was delivered.

If it was, and you are enquiring on the possibility that there are further monies accumulating for disvursement, the answer (again, pending Her return for access to the records She keeps): Perhaps a few more simoleons since that last payment. We will check what books may have sold in the past few weeks. There were perhaps ten or so from the previous two shipments that, last time I checked a week or two back, were unsold.

If, of course, the payment above mentioned sent sevrral weeks ago was not received, this will be resent tomorrow. With any additional sales over the last few weeks included.

Just saw Gwyneth Paltrow in a PBS travelogue on Bilbao, Spain.

Forget stilts.

Pulchritude on a Pogo Stick.

KOS

KOS

follow up

Postby KOS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Name: KOS
Yes, It was mailed January 24, my original post about it was on January 25:

"KOS
The Datacombs, - Sunday, January 25 2009 20:30:18
The Straight Shit, or
A box with a check was Priority Mailed on Saturday, Jan. 24.

Yes, finally.

Tracking number follows:

239-02500545-99

Can be checked at www.usps.com"

I just checked the tracking system, and - ir has no record of the package.

So you never got it.

So, it goes out again tomorrow, this time I handwalk it to the desk myself and get a receipt.

I lose two letters in a year, and both are to the most important prson I paper trail mail to.

-sigh-

KOS

paul

Birth and death

Postby paul » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Name: Paul
Some research took me to a site of today's births/deaths throughout history, and I couldn't help but think about a few of these.

Today is Edna St. Vincent Millay's birthday, the first woman to receive a Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. I was thinking about the Pulitzers just a few days ago, and I still cannot understand why Harlan doesn't have one. Good god, the amount of human condition examined in his oeuvre is exactly what they've been giving the prize out for all these years.
~~~~~~

Edward Gorey, born in 1925. He died on tax day, in 2000, and I remember hearing about it and thinking, "Well, THIS is a shitty way to start the new Millennium."

Ah, Mr. Gorey. How can you not love the simple yet elegant drawings, somewhere between a teen-agers sketchbook and the best editorial cartoons from The New Yorker? I fell in love with THE DOUBTFUL GUEST before i was old enough to know I should be paying attention to who wrote it. Naturally, I am both looking forward to, and wary of, this:

http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2007/04/ ... guest.html

If the name is unfamiliar *!!!*, his influences are not, and you've seen them everywhere, from the Goth circuit, to major movies (Tim Burton, anyone?), to the splendid music of Creature Feature --http://www.creaturefeaturemusic.com/ -- who have an honest hommage to Edward titled A GOREY DEMISE, their own take on the The Children's Alphabet.

Gorey seemed to be a person first, and Artist second, and that was it for his personal life. People assumed his work was just Macabre for Children, but if I remember correct, he wasn't very fond of them. He was a surrealist, a purveyor of nonsense and nonesuch. He was sui generis.
~~~~~~

Dwight Frye has a celebration today as well. He is perhaps best known as the actor who played Renfield in Tod Browning's 1931 DRACULA, with Bela Lugosi. And as much as I love Tom Waits (and if you don't know, I LOVE me some Tom), Dwight is and was the DEFINITIVE Renfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv92VfG ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekV6EpXs ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCQNSAXM9g&NR=1
~~~~~~

On the opposite end of the spectrum...

Chuck Jones died this day in 2002. We have him to thank for helping our brains to atrophy on Saturday mornings. Animator and director of hundreds of Looney Tunes cartoons, he was part of the driving force behind their popularity in the 50's and 60's. There is NO ONE who doesn't know at least some portion of RABBIT FIRE.

Though he didn't invent the characters, to me his name is synonymous with them: Bugs and Porky, Pepe le Pew. Even as a tot, I knew when I saw the Merrie Melodies logo come onscreen, followed by his name, this was one to watch, to not turn the channel.
The ideas that he helped promulgate- that the symbol of timidity and meekness, the rabbit, be the smartest, toughest, most mentally agile creature in the cartoons; that a duck, a small duck that would normally never get a second look, a symbol of innocent bathtub toys and cherubic babys' room wallpaper, could become a plotting revolutionary, the outlet for narcissistic, egomaniacal, vindictive behavior- spoke volumes about his confidence in this 'childish' work.

Cutting through the pseudo-fruedian, hyper-limbic, subconscious-refining personal-reflection self-examination bullshit jargon that children would be subjected to in the 70's and 80's to see if cartoons were 'destroying our poor childrens' minds', Jones summed up the human psyche vis` a vie cartoons with one simple, short, eloquent and profound sentence, like a shotgun blast to Elmer's face:

"Bugs is who we want to be. Daffy is who we are."
~~~~~

Daniel Pearl (2002). If the name escapes you... shame on you. Seriously.
There was a great link posted here just a while ago, a column by Daniel's father. It's worth reading, even if it answers no questions.

Duane

Riders of the Purple Wage

Postby Duane » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Name: Duane
Hi Mary,

Like Jan "said," I posted some comments about this story in the "Spider" forum on "the other side." A direct link is here:

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/forum/ ... 8&start=15

I won't repeat here what I said about the story, but I will say the following two things:

1) RotPW is my ***ALLL TIIMMMEEEE*** favorite SF story, by any author, and
2) NOTHING I have said, can say, or will say about the story will ever do it justice; all I can do is pay unworthy homage.

I've been trying for the last 15 minutes to add something to what I've just written above, but I can't. I'd love to discuss this story (and receive further insight as well) with others on the "Dangerous Visions" thread. I desperately need to hear what others who have read and loved the story have to say.

And as for "he fakes it well," crack, Jan, guess what? YOU'RE covering the Cafe '50's bill next time, bub!!

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Hi Rick. I actually went to college at Parsons when it was still open and graduated in 1972. It has unfortunately been extant since the summer of 1973, it was open as a school for 99 years.I believe it was 1975 it was bought by MIU and opened as a school for them. I was in Fairfield two weekends ago and came in on US highway 1 north of the city so I could drive through the campus. I was nearly in tears at seeing so many buildings torn down that were part of the Parsons campus. MIU has this odd compulsion to tear down buildings facing any direction but east down and to build all their buildings facing east, they say it has something to do with the mojo they are trying to produce to save the world.
Parsons was a very cool school and it is very much missed.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Name: Alan Coil
Paul wrote:

"Edward Gorey, born in 1925. He died on tax day, in 2000, and I remember hearing about it and thinking, "Well, THIS is a shitty way to start the new Millennium.""

Aside that it is always a shitty day to die...

2000 was the end on the millennium.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 am

Name: Ezra
Some old business...

KOS after your reply about CORALINE (and I did detect your tone of sarcasm by the way) but before I read your subsequent explanation and Mr Ellison's helpful addendum, I looked at the Locus site and scanned some of Mr Westfahl's reviews just to get a "feel" for his "approach".

He gave the recent puerile brainless remake of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH a good review (I went because I am a helpless sucker for 3D). This told me all I needed to know about Mr Westfahl.

Now to today's business...

I congratulate the Academy for nominating Melissa Leo and Courtney Hunt for their work in FROZEN RIVER and am somewhat disappointed that they didn't see the way to actually bestow their awesome imprimatur.

Please please please do not let this wonderful movie sink into the abyss. Seek it out and you will not regret.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 am

Name: Frank Church
Kudos to Sean Penn for winning the big burrito. He was about as coherent as he will ever be.

You could tell Mickey Rourke didn't really care about winning. He was just there to hit the buffet.

Also kudos to Penn for his fair Hugo Chavez interview. Chavez said no question was out of bounds. Even Chris Hitchens was there. No dictator would do that.

--------------

Waves at Harlan. Hi buddy.

robochrist

My Pilgramage Chapter One

Postby robochrist » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 am

Name: Rob
Picking up my story here from a few weeks ago, I made my sojourn to the house in Connecticut. With respect to retrieving my personal stuff - primarily family photo-history - it was a success. What I sought was still there (though much buried in tons of boxes I had to wade thru for 2 hours in this wintry fossil of what was once our home).

(Incidentally, I went in there against the effrontery of legal "trespassing" threats from an attorney. He was consistent with so many people as I perceived them while I was growing up: apathetic, with no effort at empathy at all, interested only in what he can gain at my expense or that of others. Therein lies my defiance against self-proclaimed authority. I've nothing but contempt for his type)

But the emotional impact - and some bizarre loose ends I'll share in time - produced an epiphany, that, I'll go so far as to say, MAY have even saved my own life. I'm talking about a real human journey, that I feel holds a message for ALL of us. Given its complexity and many terrible pains, but, conversely, a degree of personal closure, I'll tell you about some of it here in increments.

For now, one of the less intense aspects of the trip (I shared this over on the board):

Peter Jackson did a special dvd piece on Willis O'Brien's effects on the original KONG, which I'd viewed recently and found really inspiring.

Segue to my early childhood: I grew up without a dad, but had living with us for years a close, CLOSE friend who nearly functioned as a surrogate dad, though this was near the end of his life.

He was an excellent New York artist/painter - specializing in Abstract, but very fine in Realist when he needed to be. His name was Leo Quanchi.

In the 1930's Leo worked for RKO Pictures' New York advertising division. He won prizes in this field, and became part of the ad campaign for King Kong. I retrieved from the house photocopies of his original Kong 1932 poster layouts, in addition to newspaper clippings talking about his work on the campaign.

Leo was also the designer of the famously iconic RKO "radio bolt" logo we see on all those old movies from that era.

Artistically and politically, Leo had a great impact on me.

Finding his stuff still there brought me much peace-of-mind.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 am

Name: FinderDoug
Susan - The (HERC renewal) check is in the mail, and should appear by the end of the week. FYI.

Harlan - Just a blurt to let you know I'm still successfully exchanging oxygen for lesser gasses and staying one step ahead of the law, two ahead of the net. I know you sometimes worry. Fret not - it's all busy / creative / blissful here in Electric Finderland - precisely as the Jade Marmoset foretold during the second blue moon of 1999.

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 am

Name: Duane
Susan, mine too. M1095. Rabbit Hole rules!

Rob, congratulations. It's always better to take a chance than to waste a lifetime wondering what might have been.

BTW, "Prowler In The City" is my SECOND all time favorite SF story, sliding under RotPW by a gnat's whisker.

I discovered DV when I was 15, and it has never left me.

cookie

Strayhorn

Postby cookie » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:10 pm

Name: cookie
Popped in to catch up and was so glad to see remembrances of Billy Strayhorn. He is my very favorite composer. I have a framed poster of him directly above my piano. I have been hooked on Strayhorn since I was in high school and first heard "Chelsea Bridge" at Maine Jazz Camp. I learned "Lush Life" early on, too. It's a very intricate and beautiful song.

One of my missions in life is to make sure that the world knows that it was Billy Strayhorn who wrote "Take the A-Train", not Duke Ellington himself (you knew that, right?). He wrote it at the time of the time ASCAP banned the radio play of songs licensed to them. All of Ellington's music was ASCAP. The task fell on Strayhorn and Ellington's son Mercer to compose an entirely new body of work that *could* be played on the radio. As I understand it,BMI was formed in response to the ASCAP ban so Strayhorn's music was licensed through them. "A-Train" was one of that first batch of tunes that Mercer Ellington and Strayhorn wrote in, what?,a week? Unreal.

I love David Hadju's biography of Strayhorn (entitled LUSH LIFE). I also *finally* saw the PBS documentary about him last week. It was in the wee hours (ended at 4AM) but it was worth staying up for. There was much footage of Strayhorn I had never seen before.

I just adore the music of Billy Strayhorn. It's good to see others appreciating him.

BTW: I bought and devoured "The Graveyard Book" and it may be one of my favorite books ever. I simply loved it.

Michael Mayhew

Hooray for Old Photos!

Postby Michael Mayhew » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Name: Michael Mayhew
Rob-

Congratulations on finding your old family photos and news clippings. As an archivally-minded person, I understand that particular joy.

May I suggest (as an archivally-minded fellow) that you immediately scan these items at a good, high resolution, burn the scans onto a disc, and store the disc someplace cool and dry and far away from wherever you're going to put the actual photos.

Congrats again on getting out there and getting those images that meant so much to you.

MM

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”