Pavilion Digest: February 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Paul Michael Barkan

Billy Strayhorn's

Postby Paul Michael Barkan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:54 am

Name: Paul Michael Barkan
Source: unca20090314.htm
Steve, et al.,

No Billy Strayhorn collection would be complete without the sublime masterpiece, "Passion Flower." Run, don't walk, and listen to Johnny Hodges work his magic on this strange and gorgeous tune.

Still in awe after 30+ years,
Paul

David Loftus

yenta-ism

Postby David Loftus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 am

Name: David Loftus
De Tar Baby, he didn' say nuttin'.

More out of ignorance than scruple, he must admit, but still . . .

We had a good, strong opening night last night in Noel Coward's "Private Lives," despite a stand-in on lights and sound who screwed up several of the cues, and the fact that the girl playing Sibyl had come down with walking pneumonia on Tuesday, missed two rehearsals tech week, was in the third day of her five-day round of antibiotics backed up with codeine, and therefore was a much greater health risk for the kissing scenes (which we temporarily excised, dammit) than the seven herbal cigarettes I have to light (five of which I puff on for a while).

Acting's fun. When -- not if -- I interview Harlan again, his days as an actor are one of the fairly unexplored areas I want to chat with him about.

Now I have to knuckle down and write that interview piece about the new landscape architect at the Portland Japanese Garden.

paul

Attention astronomers, The Green Light is come!

Postby paul » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:32 am

Name: Paul
Comet Lulin fast approaches:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009 ... ncomet.htm

Some folks weighing in:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observin ... 92534.html

Here is an amuse-bouche:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pane/lulin/movie/

Paul, Resident Stargazer

akojen

Basking in the afterglow

Postby akojen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:38 am

Name: Amy Kostyn-Jenkins
Harlan--thought you might be pleased to know that Robin Williams brought out the liberals in Texas last night. Fabulous, fantastically energetic show, mostly new material, but he revisited a few old favorites. The cheers were long and loud.

He has many dates left in the States--even if you have to go through a second party, it's worth it. Oh, and for what it's worth (though this might depend on the venue), he plays to stage right. And beware in the first row--you might get wet.

Love to you and Susan from Ben and me. We miss you.

Jeff R.

One particular A BOY AND HIS DOG review

Postby Jeff R. » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:51 am

Name: Jeff R.
Back in 1977, I dragged Dear Old Dad to see the movie. When it was over, I, naturally enough, asked him what he thought of it. "Not much. I'm not interested in movies about talking dogs. I like REALITY!"
"Uh, but, Dad, Blood didn't talk. He communicated telepathically."
"Same thing! It was trash! I like REALITY!"

I've often wondered how I got stuck with that man.

Frank Andrews

Woof

Postby Frank Andrews » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am

Name: Frank Andrews
I recall our St. Paul Pioneer Press movie critic writing something close to: And the boy and his dog communicate telepathically, which is something movies do when they don't have the budget to make the dog's mouth move when it's supposed to talk. (!!!)

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Hi Susan. I sent a check to renew my subscription to Rabbit Hole with the last issue being my last paid for. The check has not yet been cashed and I just wanted to make sure it was received with the new issue coming out. Thanks for your awesome work putting together each issue. Please let me know if I need to send another check.

I drove 100 miles from Fairfield to Des Moines,Iowa to see "A Boy and His Dog" when it first came out. When the vhs tape came out I went out a bought a vcr, which I never owned, so I could watch it. The tape, which I still have, cost me at least $50.00 in the early days of vhs tapes and was actually the second movie i ordered. The first was my favorite movie of all time "To Kill a Mockingbird". I just ordered the cd version of ABAHD from the SFBC as it was offered as a selection in the most recent issue.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:34 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
A Boy and His Dog is on our staff picks shelf almost every month (guess whose!) and rents regularly.

Also wanted to let you know, Harlan, that I have ordered six copies of Dreams with Sharp Teeth and will recommend it to everyone who comes in. Can't wait to see it.

Back from Disney World. The twins had a fabulous time and were surprisingly well behaved, for 8 year olds. As for the parks - don't ask.

Rick Keeney

gotta love a blizzard

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Name: Keeney
Good grief, Roger, you're giving me Maharishi flashbacks.

Rick

P.S. Howsoever, it could be the Red Label.

shagin

Postby shagin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:21 pm

Name: shagin
Just back from a laid back, fairly intimate concert by my musician friend, Alexander James Adams. Check him out if you get a chance. It was a special performance for a birthday party, and there was only half the expected attendance. Doesn't bother me at all, more music for me!

SARA wrote: "Back from Disney World. The twins had a fabulous time and were surprisingly well behaved, for 8 year olds. As for the parks - don't ask."

Drop me a line and we can commiserate about Disney World.

shagin

KOS

A question for those that can answer

Postby KOS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Name: KOS
I had lunch with Tim Powers and his wife Serena Saturday. Tim is a casual acquaintaince of some years. We got together because I am (again!) selling a used car we no longer need, and Tim decided to look it over with an eye to buying.

Over lunch we discussed writing, among many other subjectsi, mostly the business end rather than any "creative" stuff. I suggested to Tim he miht consider trying some screenriting, as a good way to bring in a decent "paycheck" to supplement his other work as a writing teacher as as the earnings from his books. I believe he would have quite a bit of credibiliy with his novels, enough likely to get a "meetng" (I hate to use those sorts of cliched terms, but there it is, a "meeting" is what it is),

All to say:

A name, a number of any agent, producer, dealmaker, director etc. that would like to explore having a World Fantasy Award winning novelist come in to pitch a few ideas for development, would be a great boon. I think (I hope I am not too far out on a limb here) that Tim would be interesed in exploring this with someone with, how shall I say it, "gravitas", of "weight" in the motion picture/television business?

And no, this is not a round about "shout out" to Harlan himself. It's directed to anyone that might help,

I am doing this on my own, to see if I can help Tim out, so it's subject to his decision as to how far he will follow up on any suggestions or offered contacts. Just want to be clear about that. I'll run anything tangible offered past him, but I cannot guarantee to any third party more than that I will pass it on to Tim.

Thanks!

KOS

Sara Slaymaker

KOS:

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:04 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
I don't know if this is helpful (I'm so peripherally in "the biz" that it really doesn't count), but my cousin, Steve Monas, runs a firm called Business Affairs, Inc. in LA that deals with producers, talent, and so on. Here's his link:
http://www.bizaffairs.com/attorneys.html
Hope this helps.

Sandra, re:Disney - I will compose a diatribe whilst at work and email it to you.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

KOS KOS KOS KOS YO! KOS!!!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:53 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
A gentle query. Do I have any money coming my way?

Respectfully, Harlan

Midnight

Dangerous Visions

Postby Midnight » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Mary
I brought down my very own copy of "Dangerous Visions", and opened it up to a story that has frustrated me for years. I don't know why...call me a triple blonde, intellectually stunted, anything you want...but there has been one story in that collection that I simply can't get my head around.

"Riders of the Purple Wage" by Philip Jose Farmer.

I have tried to read it, but it seems that a million things are being thrown at me in every sentence. There's a beauty to that story...the way Farmer writes is something to be envied, but I wish I knew what the story was about!

I can read every other short story in that collection, have no problem, but that particular story, no matter what I do or think, has turned me upside down. Perhaps I'm trying too hard to understand it, or there's something I've missed, I don't know. If anyone can help me, I've included my email address. I would have gone to the other website where I could post as many times as I wanted (I was Mary Midnight), but I have no end of trouble with my password on that site.

One of my resolutions this year was to read that story and truly appreciate it. I want to get past the first few pages without feeling like a dunce. Then I'll feel better about taking that book with me to the next Harlan Ellison signing.

Or, after I read it, I hope it's still possible to send it via snail mail and have Harlan sign it.

Thank you!

William Sherman

Postby William Sherman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:08 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Mary--please check out the Wikipedia post regarding Farmer's story. Will help, as it helped me after I re-read the entire anthology last year.

Mr. E.: If I understand the Academy voting procedures correctly, members of the Academy may only vote on nominees within the members' own respective guilds and films nominated in the Best Picture category. Correct? Being a life-long New Englander, all this show business stuff evades my comprehension.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”