Pavilion Digest: February 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Source: unca20090314.htm
So, I sent my posting on Tylenol Man, and as I was getting into my car, I thought, "Wait a minute. 25 years? 1982? That's twenty-seven! FUUUUCK!"

You see, that's what happens when you hastily compose a posting just before heading for work. I guess I should have taken my time. Well, you can use me as a bad example, if you like.

And my name is Earl.

Oh, and my six words: Don't poke the Ymir. Don't. Poke.

Chuck

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Name: Rob
Michael (brief double-post)

That's just it: I've wrestled with the very solutions you just listed for the last 5 years. I haven't a SINGLE relative who gives a shit, and never DID. And the lawyers are setting up legal blocks preventing me from going to the house. Not that it will stop me if I fly over; but the condition of the house, I've learned, is SO bad that pipes are burst, and god knows what the woodwork is like. Finally, I'm the only one who really knows where to look for these items, assuming there's ANYTHING in there now.

Even my lawyer declined from going in there, as she was about to do this weekend. That's the update that depressed me so much this am.

This plight went on since 2001. It's not a sudden "giving up". I'm not even GIVING up! I'm just trying to find the perspective, if faced with the worst outcome. The price is greater if you don't prepare yourself for the more dire realities. And right now, it's a painful quandary.

Due to this double-post, I'll hold my replies and just read the comments. If I feel more clarification is needed, as I felt with Michael's post, I'll deal with that later on.

Gwyneth M905

six words and family memories

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Name: Gwyneth M905
Hi, Lori: Subject to change, no resemblance intended.

Hi, Rob: I will PM you as yours *is* a sticky wicket.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Name: Tony Ravenscroft
Hey, all. Can't say how much I miss keeping up with the Pavilion on a daily basis, but I'm overbooked & logging a huge sleep deficit.

Anyway, a friend reminded me that my favourite composer/musician, Bill Nelson, turned 60 on Dec. 18, & I missed the (virtual) party.

If there was a single music-maker I'd compare to HE, it'd be BN. (I think Bill mentioned in at least one interview that he's a fan.)

BN was a minor British bureaucrat in the early 1970s, & started a band called Be Bop Deluxe to save his mind. He's a guitarist, pianist, poet, & artist, who likes living quietly with his beloved wife, in relative obscurity. He considers mid-'50s pulp science fiction & Beat poetry to be two of his biggest influences, which might explain a few things.

Anyhow, he has his own convention every year, Nelsonica, & tends to release a new disc every couple of months, many of which remain pricey.

But, freebies are plenty. I stumbled over a poem he stuck together from submitted phrases, & wrote a nice musical ground for it. It runs 13 minutes, & I suddenly needed to offer y'all a listen:

http://www.billnelson.com/html/park/radio.php

(And have some fun poking around the website. It's gone a touch moribund since 2005, but it's fascinatingly ambitious.)

shagin

Postby shagin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:58 pm

Name: shagin
Tomorrow we will be celebrating the Chinese New Year (Year of the Ox) to kick 2007 out the friggin' door and take a moment to remember what makes life worth living. Kick out 2007? you say. Yeah. It lingered. Trust me on this one.

For those Webderlanders in the Pacific Northwest who care to make the jaunt: Come on over! Drop me an email and I can provide directions and even transportation arrangements if you happen to catch the ferry, bus, or train.

For the rest of you: Come on over! Um...y'gotta make your own flight arrangements, though.

Part of the celebration will be to honor those that have gone before. Small plates of food will be set aside and candles will be lit to light our way forward and help us find our way back. It's about rememberances, not religion, reaching out, Gaspar to Billy Kinetta, to give Minna over for safekeeping.

Drop a line on the board if you feel like it, or shoot off an email. There will be plenty of food and memories to go around.

God be between you and harm in all the empty places you walk. There is no greater hope we can have for anyone.

shagin

Jes

Hello!

Postby Jes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Name: Jes Bickham
So. I've said this before, but although I very, *very* rarely post here, I do check in every day to read what's going on, and while I'm sat back in the gods, I take it all in. So bravo to Josh Olson's recent bravura piece on The Boss, The Ellison, and Mr Hicks (I have only recently just started to absorb Springsteen's back catalogue, and he astonishes me at every turn. What is it with you Americans being able to affect a po' boy from Essex?), and best wishes to Steve and Cris Barber, Peg, and Mark Goldberg, who recently posted something on Facebook which is so brave and noble and heartbreakingly wonderful that I am proud to call the man my friend, although I have never met him in the flesh. And to the rest of you I wish nothing less than happiness eternal.
But! This is not why I post. HARLAN - you may recall a while back that I posted a link to a story which ripped off 'Twilight in the Cupboard' wholesale. (Link: http://flashgenre.blogspot.com/2008/05/ ... block.html.) Well, the guy behind it finally took notice of my email and has taken it down, which is the proper, if tardy, response... but also, he says, "Can you forward me a copy or sample of Harlan's story for my comparison? I'm not familiar with it, otherwise I'm sure I would have spotted the similarities. If it is obvious plagarism (sic), as you say, I'd like to address the author myself, and condemn him to eternal torment, if warranted."
I told him to buy Mind Fields. Further, deponent sayeth not.
Yr pal,
Albion Agent 366, Jes Bickham
(Ps. Please tell the boy Moran that while he might be swanning around in LA schmoozing with the Ellisons, some of us are doing hard work keeping the UK economy afloat. Honestly, some people, etc.)

JC Smith

Six Words

Postby JC Smith » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Name: JC Smith
Still listening for the other shoe.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Name: Alan Coil
I saw Coraline. (Rhymes with nine.)

Good movie. Go see it, either in regular form or in 3-D. The 3-D works for me, even though my depth perception is poor.

-------------------------------

6 words for ROB:

Stop writing all right as alright.

Horrorkid

Lux Interior R.I.P. 1946-2009

Postby Horrorkid » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:21 pm

Name: Horrorkid
Maybe I'm way off base w/ this, but I'd like to call attention to the passing of the lead singer of the Cramps. Like HE, Lux was from the Cleveland area and both mined the same vein of pop culture of so-called low-brow art (one in the arena of "sci-fi" fiction, the other in rockabilly)to produce art that transends the narrow strictures of being shoe-boxed into whatever category the critics deemed was most convenient at the time. You can be weird, off-beat and have a bizzare sense of humor and still have something to say that is relevant to the human condition!!! Stay sick, turn blue!!!

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Kos it would not be wise for Harlan, or any of the rest of us that are diabetic, to eat chocolate, even a small amount. The sugar content is just too high. When shopping and I'm reading the food content part of the box I am looking for a food with 12 grams or less sugar in a portion.

Doc

Postby Doc » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Name: Doc
Rob: I seem to be dealing with quite a lot of loss, lately. I might not have any solutions, but I can always provide an understanding ear. The door to my e-office is always open.

My Six Words: How the fuck did THIS happen?

Adam-Troy Castro: I just picked up EMISSARIES FROM THE DEAD. That's right - I bought it. With cash. See what faith I have in you?

The Thanotometer bumps another degree upward: James Whitmore. 87. Yeah, not unexpected at that age - but that doesn't mean I'll miss him less.

Charlie

Postby Charlie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:07 am

Name: Charlie
Rob, If I'm understanding what you've said, Bob is still the owner of the house, but is under a conservatorship. (I'm unclear if there is any familial relationship between you & Bob.) Some photos are possibly in the house which is owned by Bob, but which ownership will be transferred to the bank in March. Your mom died intestate in 2000, but left property which was never probated. You have an attorney, but I'm unclear what your lawyer has filed on your behalf. Are you the only child? Here in Florida, there is an action called replevin, which allows you to sue someone to recover property that they are holding improperly. Another possible avenue, if this happened in Florida, is opening an estate action in probate court to have the property transferred from the deceased person to living descendants. (Even if someone dies without a will, most states provide a will, as it were, for those people.) Each state has its own set of laws and procedures. Please consult with your attorney about either option, replevin or opening an estate. However, it sounds like whatever you need to do, must be done expeditiously.

Paul Michael Barkan

RIP, James Whitmore, 87, . . .

Postby Paul Michael Barkan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:21 am

Name: Paul Michael Barkan
. . . who added his talents to "Planet of the Apes," "Them," "Black Like Me," "The Asphalt Jungle," "The Shawshank Redemption" and so many others.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:47 am

Name: Frank Church
For the mook who used the term, "Psuedo-intellectual" to describe me. Way off base on that one. I am not even an intellectual or want to be one. Intellectuals are trained, meaning they are like show dogs, knowing all the right things no matter how wrong they are. They are the elites, the people who sit in air-conditioned offices planning the Vietnam war or Cointelpro, or name a horror. I am an activist, concerned citizen. Just doing my part for the cause--to put all those button pushers away.

Now spread love, not division.

Tenderkiss.

------------

Diabetes scares the shit out of me. I love sugar too much. Luckily equal is tolerable.

fc

Postby fc » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:49 am

Name: fc
Pseudo, not psuedo..irony.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”