Pavilion Digest: June 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: June 2007

Postby admin » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of June 2007.

Erik Nelson

New Address!!

Postby Erik Nelson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:13 am

Name: Erik Nelson
Source: unca20070808.htm
We have an official-just-like-real-studio-movie web site address for The Film:

www.dreamswithsharpteeth.com

And as part of this get acquainted special offer, a new (and final) outtake from the film, "Ankle Strap Wedgie#2" -- in which Our Hero opines on the subject of cannibalistic felines. And the title music plays just like magic the moment you arrive!!

I get chills.

Enjoy!!

Annoucement coming soon on another LA screening event, in early August!
Best,
Erik

TallyJohnson

kudos to Erik and another heads-up

Postby TallyJohnson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:08 am

Name: Tally
Erik...the site for DWST rocks!!! I am aquiver with anticipation to see the film. Hopefully distribution will begin soon...as I doubt my neck of the woods will be hosting any screenings.
Also, from newsaramacom... Rick, feel free to edit as needed, just felt Harlan might want to see this... forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=114913

Site Admin

New Gallery

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:41 am

Name: Steve Barber
For those of you wondering what the daily references to "Thanks Rod", "Got the email Rod" and "terrific pictures, Rod" -- I have added a new gallery to my site at

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7n0zi/id34.html

Thanks for the pics Rod, you put me to shame.

Writing of my gallery, I will be taking down the Pink's, WGA and Reception galleries within the next few weeks as part of a revamping of the site. (I'll leave Rod's pics up a little longer. Couldn't hurt to have REAL artwork on my website...)

COMIC-CON - Steve P.O, I'm planning to go down on Saturday. Still not sure what the events are, or who will be with me, but would be glad to be part of any Webderland lunch or somesuch.

JOSH - You on any panels this year???

Elijah Newton

Ankle Strap static

Postby Elijah Newton » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:47 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Hi Eric,

That's a terrific website on the whole, though I did encounter one problem. The audio for Ankle Strap Wedgie #2 came through only as static. It could just be me - I was viewing via Safari on OSX - but I thought I'd mention it as everything else came though just fine.

Of course, it could be a sort of interesting commentary on the whole signal to noise ratio meme.

BrianSiano

Charles Dickens, and what might be a major suck-up to our Ho

Postby BrianSiano » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 am

Name: Brian Siano
In my neighborhood, we have the only statue of Charles Dickens ever made. Despite the fact that it was rejected by England, because Dickens' will stipulated that no monuments be built to honor him-- one of those historical tidbits we share with visitors-- it's a wonderful statue. Really.

So the other day, I found that the New York Public Library's published a really really wonderful account of Dickens' public performances. It's a huge six-page series available at http://www.fathom.com/course/21701768/index.html, and y'all really owe it to yourselves to go read it.

But the really fun part of the article is the description of Dickens himself. In photos, and illustrations, Dickens looks morose, unhappy, almost burdened by his phenomenal imagination. You can readily imagine the poor guy weeping over his writing desk while he composes the death of Little Nell.

But never was a portrait more misleading. The man was described, by all of his friends, as a born actor. He could easily drop into a public performance, and he still worked continually at improving the drama of his public readings. Better yet, let me quote:

"But Dickens's restiveness could not be checked, and throughout his life he threw himself into a staggering array of activities, both personal and professional, over and above the supreme and concentrated dedication with which he made himself the most beloved author of his age. To begin with, as friends and family amply attested, he was a consummate host, one whose high spirits were irresistibly contagious--"Never was there, surely," asserted one of his most faithful admirers, "at any time, such a Master of Revels." In company, said another, Dickens "talked like a demon of delightfulness."

Dickens too was always mad for the stage--"there never was a more assiduous playgoer" declared one friend. As a young man he had even contemplated a career as an actor, assuring the management of Covent Garden Theatre that he was endowed with "a natural power of reproducing in his own person what he observed in others." This passion for the theater found expression in the amateur theatricals (mounted both for charity and simply for the sheer joy of it) into which he poured his great gifts as actor, director and producer. He had to have a hand--it seemed--in everything."

Just in case ya missed it, this was the "major suck-up" part.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Name: Frank Church
Hitchens was on Charlie Rose and he mentioned the fact that he has no talent in writing fiction, so he stays with the nonfiction stuff. He made the point that fiction writers tend to have a good knowledge of music, and Hitchens said that he doesn't; this is why he cannot do fiction. Is there any truth to that you think?

----------

Speaking of music, Steve King has his twenty five best rock song list in the new Entertainment Weekly. Most of the songs I have not heard but he does pick the Sex Pistols' Anarchy In The UK as his favorite rock song. One of my faves as well. Oi.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Name: Alan Coil
Frank, you screw-up.

It was only 24.

the Irgun

Harlan: FYI

Postby the Irgun » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:54 pm

Name: the Irgun
http://www.comicmix.com/news/2007/06/01 ... hics-side/

BillGauthier

Postby BillGauthier » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:21 pm

Name: Bill Gauthier
Mr. Nelson,

Thanks for adding another clip of "The Resurgence of Miss Ankle-Strap Wedgie." It's one of my favorite stories.

Harlan,

Any plans to ever do a recording of it? I know it's a rather long one, but....

Bill

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Name: Lee

Brian,

I just returned a book called "Lincoln's Melancholy" (Shenk) that went into great detail
on the ability of some profoundly depressed people to make deliberate use of mania or
humor to counteract or counter blanace a persistent feeling of crushing sadness. Like
Dickens, Lincoln was an extremely talented mimic and humorist and many primary source
examples from diaries and letters to and from close friends were presented showing
Lincoln deliberately rousing himself to entertain as a way of bracing himself for activity
that he otherwise would not have been able to bear.

The thesis of the book was that though chronic depression is certainly an abnormal,
undesirable and often fatal affliction it is, like sickle cell, also adaptive. In malarial
regions, sickle cell saves more lives than it kills. Similarly, "depressive realism" has
been proven through experiment to produce a state more penetrating and accurately
perceptive in times of crisis than that of an optimist. A depressive tends to assess crisis
with great accuracy, and is able to act intelligently to avert or improve a bad situation.
An optimist tends to trivialize either a problem, or the difficulties and complications of potential
solutions and often takes a course that makes things worse than when they started.

It's interesting to think of the debt of gratitude that we owe to those afflicted with
depression that rose nevertheless to greatness, and to wonder whether the drugs that cure
depression might be an advantage for the depressed individual and a dis-advantage to the
societies in which they live.

Bud Webster

Regency Books, Evanston Illinois

Postby Bud Webster » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Name: Bud Webster
Harlan:

I'm getting ready to do a "Past Masters" piece on Cordwainer Smith, and will be referring to _You Will Never Be the Same_ with some frequency.

Can you tell me about your involvement with Regency Books, and if you had a hand in the Smith book? What other Regency titles were you involved with, and in what way?

Of course, any anecdotes you might have about CS will be gleefully appreciated. Smith is a particular favorite of mine (in a falling-to-my-knees-and-salaaming-while-crying-"I'm-not-worthy!" sort of way), and I'd really like this piece to shine.

Jan

lonegungirl

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Name: Jan
I didn't have time to be more helpful back then (I had to leave that very second), but MY curiosity was aroused, and if it's not a big deal, maybe you could upload the screening-related audio file(s) to uploaded.to or some other file hosting place and post the link here, as we all need a constant stream of Harlan-related goodies coming our way. If it's not perfect, we're not a critical bunch, we just enjoy. :-)

A shameless
Jan

Tad Dunten

The reality of depression

Postby Tad Dunten » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Name: Tad Dunten
Lee:

Just read your note anent Lincoln and depression in general, and had to add my two cents, as someone whose life was saved by antidepressants.

For much of my life, I've been a fairly moody type; being a smarter-than-average kid in an average small town, I often found myself on the fringes of the fringes, with very few real friends and even fewer who I felt were able to understand much of me.

Once I went off to the city for college, I was relieved to no longer find myself automatically the smartest person in the room, and still have some of the friends I made then. Even then, I often felt a brooding dissatisfaction, which I laid to the constant (albeit not high) pressure of academia and a lingering sense that there was something important that I wasn't understanding.

During this time, I discovered Harlan's writing, and devoured his stories as fast as I could lay hands on them. Many of them were of great help, like finding a message in a bottle that said "You are not alone."

Not long after college, I returned to my small world, becoming involved in both romance and business, still just cruising along as best I could with no real sense of future. The business grew, then overreached and faltered, and was sold before competition became too intense to sustain it. The romance withered along with the business, and I began to find myself thinking of death almost as often as I thought of sex.

Finally, I ended up at the doctor's, learned that I was clinically depressed, and went into counseling and began taking antidepressant (SSRI, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) medication, which made it possible for me to derail the train of thought that led from any small setback (bill arrives, plans get changed) to thoughts of suicide.

Eventually, I left counseling and got off the medication, finding some relief on stressful occasions by taking St. John's Wort tablets, and am now working toward taking over the family ranch, and married with four (step)children.

I still occasionally have days that make me wonder if I can make it through, but I've had enough practice at getting through days that I know that I can, and I can still head off a panic attack with a St. John's Wort if I need to. (Even if it's mostly placebo effect, it's good to have something in reserve that won't cause more problems than it solves.)

So, your musing about the losses that might come from curing depression struck something of a raw nerve with me. I hope like Hell you (or, perhaps worse, someone you love) never have to depend on a chemical compound just to keep you from blowing your brain out, and I hope (on a lesser level) that you were just not quite thinking your position through quite far enough on this topic in particular.

Mmm... I'm not sure if I intended that as a rant, or if it sounds like one, but I'll sleep better tonight for having said my piece. Now I'll go see if I can locate that Lincoln book through my local library; sounds like a fascinating read...

Steve P.-O.

Postby Steve P.-O. » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:18 pm

Name: Steve P.-O.
About that list of 24 -- two(!) Elvis songs, but only one Little Richard, and zero Buddy Holly?! Obviously, a flawed list. ("Mystery Dance," though, is an inspired choice.)

Besides, anyone with a stitch of common sense know that the greatest rock song ever is "Stay With Me" by the Faces.

TO STEVE BARBER - I'm not so bold as to suggest an entire luncheon with fellow Pavilionaires. There's just too much fun to be had at the con to commit to missing more that a few minutes of it, esp. on Saturday. Maybe just a brief meet-'n'-greet at one of the round tables in the Sails Pavilion or some such would be swell. I'll happily provide any who ask with my cell to better facilitate said meeting.

TO ALL - I'm going to be SERIOUSLY scarce 'round these parts till late July (the week prior to San Diego), so if anyone wants to contact me for any reason whatsoever, please do so via my e-mail address. (And even that won't be checked daily.) The reason is that I'm off to archaeological field school in northern New Mexico, near the spectacular site of Chaco Canyon, in preparation for my new career.

SJPO

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”