Pavilion Digest: June 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

BrianSiano

George Carlson sighting

Postby BrianSiano » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:47 pm

Name: Brian Siano
Source: unca20060606.htm
I picked up a coffee-table book titled _Art out of Time_, which showcases interesting, innovative and oddball comics of the past century. The people collected are _really_ obscure: of the thirty or so artists showcased, I recognized only Gene Deitch and-- thanks to our host-- George Carlson, one of whose "Jingle Jangle Tales" is reprinted in full and in color.

It's a really wonderful collection, actually. Some are obvious knockoffs of McCay or Caniff. Others are just... well, unique. There's a strange story about "what happens at 8:30" that borrows a LOT from Will Eisner's _The Spirit_. There's a comic story called _Herbie_, about a massively overweight kid who, by sucking on magic lollipops, gains superpowers and fights the Loch Ness Monster (and I have a very vague memory of having read this comic when I was a small kid). One strip has a superhero called _Stardust_, who's drawn with the _weirdest_ proportions I've seen, and the story reads like Harry Stephen Keeler's mystery novels.

Guy named Dan Nadel put this together. Worth the money.

Don Hilliard

More Carlson, Maybe

Postby Don Hilliard » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:05 pm

Name: Don Hilliard
A bit of George Carlson's non-comics work is apparently on display in another coffee-table book, James Steele's _Queen Mary_. I say "apparently" because Our Host's essay on Carlson mentions that GC illustrated the souvenir booklet for the _Mary_'s maiden voyage, and a large number of illustrations from that booklet or a similar one are reproduced in various places throughout Steele's book. My eye and knowledge of the artist aren't good enough to say it's definitely Carlson, but I'm 75% sure. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if the book's already somewhere in the Ellison household, given that it's page after page of gorgeous Art Deco, so maybe HE knows.)

Cheers!
Don Hilliard

Andrew Laubacher

Paleoconservative?

Postby Andrew Laubacher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:12 am

Name: Andrew Laubacher
Please tell me that Paleoconservative is being satirical. He/she/it cannot possibly post that and think that his/her/its opinion is going to be taken seriously!?!

Steven Dooner

Postby Steven Dooner » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:55 am

Name: Steve Dooner
Andrew,

That comment's a long way off from qualifying for "irony."

Steve

DTS

On Paleoconservative and Other Creatures Beyond the Pale

Postby DTS » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:03 am

Name: DTS
ANDREW (and Steve, and any interested others): Yeah, he/she/it is more than likely revealing at least a bit of true feelings -- if not 100 percent of such. Week before last, I visited a man who I have always thought of as a nice guy, albeit conservative in his view of the world and our country's politics (yeah, he voted for Bush -- and _still_ defends Dubya and his administration, like so many conservatives who remain blind to the obvious). The guy runs a used bookstore so I visit the guy now and then, drop off boxes of books I'll never be able to read or hang onto, he gives me some cash -- not a heapload -- then sells the books for a profit. Everyone's happy.

Anyway, we got into one of our discussions about politics: After I said Bush & Co. were the vilest most corrupt administration in our lifetimes, he went into his spiel (which he truly believes) that Clinton (Travelgate, Whitewater, etc) and his administration (and Hilary) were dirty, and that Bush & Co. never lied about their reasons for going to war, that Bush never said anything which could pinpoint his being a religious fanatic (he chose to NOT interpret the "I answer to a higher father" remark of Dubya's as an obvious sign of a fundamentalist nutcase)... Then he said something which made me decide to never darken his doorstep again (tough for me cause his wife's cute -- that's a bit of levity): he said (after I argued about the bombing early in the "War" which killed lots of innocents, women and children included) that the people in Iraq deserve to be bombed, and went on -- in a calm voice! -- about how all Muslims were all really against Americans (even the two he'd recently spoken with, who TOLD HIM they didn't believe in the violence the insurgents or Taliban, or others were committing). This nice, congenial man, was abdicating genocide for all the inhabitants of Iraq. The next day, the report about Haditha (sp. may be wrong) hit the internet and papers. And the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't stand the idea of helping -- in any way (such as providing his business with revenue) -- this person and his monstrous views. (Almost as scary is the thought that his wife -- a lovely woman in the physical and emotional senses -- is actually in love with this man -- and that she might believe as he does).

And the whole point of my extra-long ramble is, yeah, there are people walking around out there -- most of them seemingly nice and kind -- with some scary stuff flowing through their noggins. And though I hate to beat a dead horse, and will no doubt call down someone's wrath, I've found that most (not ALL) of these types are either proponents of an organized religion (something quite separate from spirituality), and/or very conservative in their views of society and politics.
--DTS

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:05 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
JOHN GREENAWALT:

Agnew I don't (didn't?) know ... but ask him if he remembers MY youth-idol, Doc Lemon.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:09 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
RICK WYATT:

Do me (all of us) a small favor. Now that "Paleoconservative" has had his/her odious "moment in the sun" on our website, thereby relieving us of the brickbat CENSORSHIP, would you kindly delete this scumbag's wretched mouthings.

Thanks, kiddo.

Harlan

Rick Keeney

good girls come in threes

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:03 am

Name: Keeney
Unca Harlan:

CHELSEA is the one with the ponce-y name, the one for whom you signed TROUBLEMAKERS Saturday p.m., immediately after Howard sang. The HUGE Ray Bradbury fan.

CHLOE is "ME". And you had her going for all of 3 minutes. That hardly ever happens, as you may have already guessed. Little girl needs to be kept on her toes.

COURTNEY is away at college fulltime.

All three are raving beauties and smart like whipses. Dunno what I did right. But, you're right, I did it.

Thanks bruh.

--------------------------------

Now, I'm reading about the 3 tons(!) of ammonium nitrate seized near Toronto, and since I don't know beans about ammonium nitrate I was about to google the term and came to a screeching halt. Does my name immediately go on some spookfreak intelligence agency's "watch list", just because I am ignorant? Will i find myself, to my surprise, on a DO NOT FLY list? Do we need to worry about this shit in America? I guess so. Thoughts anyone?

ok,
Rick

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:32 am

Name: Tony Ravenscroft
Spent a restless night, fighting pointlessly amusing dream-images. The apparent high-point was when I was at some dreary little s/f con, chatting aimlessly with fellow heel-coolers, when Harlan Ellison walked up & asked each of us in turn if we knew where the chicken salad is. He spent extra time on me, apparently guessing that I was pulling a fast one on me, & asked the question a few different ways. He finally decided that I was indeed clueless & not under some clever guise, then sighed & walked dejectedly off.

I sincerely hope that this was not some psychic reflection of reality -- I'd hate to think of ANYONE's shade wandering the Earth in search of a nosh.

No, I do not, beyond medium-roast Fair Trade coffee & extra-hoppy India Pale Ale, do drugs, though I'm open to recommendations.

On the up-side, I opened a long-misplaced box & found a bunch of "stuff I want to read when I can relax" books, including an Alfred Hitchcock omnibus with tales by deFrord, Sesar, Matheson, Sayers, & (!!) Kersh, plus a somewhat floppy "Impact-20" (William Nolan shorts, for you heathens). I now have suitable carrots to finish editing the book that was due last week...

Lord Berners

Postby Lord Berners » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:24 pm

Name: Lord Berners
Many years later, when I was sketching in Rome, a grim-looking Englishwoman came up to me and said with some asperity, "I see you are painting MY view."

Alan Coil

In response to Tony Ravenscroft's dream...

Postby Alan Coil » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:43 pm

Name: Alan Coil
The mystery of the Wandering Jew is solved!

He was looking for the chicken salad!

John Greenawalt

After leaving Cleveland radio Jack said

Postby John Greenawalt » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:19 pm

Name: John Greenawalt
"My career got started in TV stations in Seattle, Memphis, San Francisco and Boston. At the end, I was director of advertising and promotion for WBZ-TV, the Westinghouse station in Boston. Then I started a PR firm which grew to 50 plus people and my partner and I sold it to a multi national MS&L in 1999. So now I'm semi retired but still teaching as an adjunct at two universities in Boston. I am also an actor with the high points being two documentaries on the Discovery Channel."

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:02 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Susan *** I think Harlan ought to have a Myspace page.

No, really. Not to pull anything away from here but to steer people here - and to the bookselling side of things. The template isn't "perfect" but I think it could be a very Harlan friendly / Harlan "hands free" way to promote some of Harlan's stuff.

Because of the "owner" edit features and ability to say NO to certain kinds of friends and content it really is not as much of an info dumpster as I first imagined it to be.

At first I thought the notion of a Harlan Myspace page was absurd, but after a couple of weeks playing around with it and linking to a few of the "celeb" pages [Mel Brooks, Bill Murray, Johnny Depp] and "causes" pages [End the War, Save Roe v. Wade, etc.] I think it could be a tool used nominally for good. Or, at least not pure evil. It's not a perfect soapbox but looking at Dane Cook's MILLION+ friends, it sure can be a mighty freekin' tall one.

Of course pressure to be in your top 8 will be fierce.

Just a thought.

- Barney

Barney Dannelke

Myspace page proposal

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:47 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
I have no idea why some of what I wrote got truncated OR why my zip ended up as a header. The rest of my message - which was in the middle - had to do with moderation and content.

I'd be happy to run/moderate it. Or perhaps in tandem with one other so that Myspace friend approval and emergency content edits - which really shouldn't be a problem because of the way Myspace works - could happen quickly.

There are Myspace features to run photos, you could set up Harlan "sound-bites", fiction and non-fiction excerpts could be run in the blogspace, you can "push" events and news to subscribers. Heck, you could even resurrect the old Galaxy on-line video clips, etc.

That's most of what was in the middle of that last post.

Sorry.

- B

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:36 pm

Name: Steve Evil
Rick:

Amonuim nitrate, when mixed with fuel can produce an explosive. With one ton of the stuff, McVeigh destroed the Federal Building in Oklahoma. These guys had three tons. They could have been planning a very large garden, but it would have to be an incredibly big gargen.

That said, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) is notoriously incompetent and has a habit of arresting Muslim men for fun. The media are now taking their word that a bombing was planned, though they won't say where, other than it wasn't in the subway. I don't think they're going to let on either. We're just going to have to take their word that 17 Second Generation Canadians wanted to level the City of Toronto.

Of course this will be used as an excuse to extend the mission in Afghanistan, even though none of the suspects came from Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, I know it's late in the game, but it must be said:

"He lost his arms in service on behalf of all of us."

I didn't ask him to go into harms's way. In fact, I most emphatically asked him to stay home. This is a debt I did not willingly enter into. I most certainly don't feel any safer.

(and before anyone tells this foreigner to butt out, it must be pointed out that the neo cons like to take credit for protecting and saving the entire western world. Besides which I'm sure there are many U.S. activists who feel the same way, sick and tired of having to be gratefull for all this slaughter. I am sure Cindy Sheenan did not appreciate such a gift).

As for the tired WWII refrain:
"If we didn't have boys like this who think about the role and not about the potential consequences, we could not have put an end to Hitler's regime"

It was a different war, at a different time, fought by different people, mostly conscripts. The war might not have happened if Hitler had not such an abundance of boys who didn't think about the consequences of their actions. Let us also not forget that it was the Godless Communists of the Evil Empire who did more than anyone to put an end to Hitler's Regime. Hitler's regime was finished long before Normandy.

It had to be said.

Unphazed, unafraid,

-Steve E.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”