Pavilion Digest: June 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:53 am

Name: Alan Coil
Source: unca20060807.htm
There were several Ellison books offered on eBay a couple weeks ago. Those seeking hard-to-find Ellison books might try going there every week to check out the auctions.

The problem with buying on eBay is that you don't know the condition of the books for sure because the seller might have borrowed a picture from another place, but having a beat up copy of an Ellison book is better than having no copy of an Ellison book.

Tom Galloway

Cambridge SF stores

Postby Tom Galloway » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Name: Tom Galloway
David, while Victor Hugo's physical location is gone, the sf bookstore mutated into Pandemonium Books (i.e. Spike was still associated with it, but I don't believe he was the owner any more) and was located in The Garage near Newbury Comics for around a decade. Recently it moved to a Central Square location that apparently has considerable event space, so they're hoping to combine bookstore with genre/gaming meeting location. Webpage at http://www.pandemoniumbooks.com/

Daniel Tervoort

HE and PKD

Postby Daniel Tervoort » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:59 pm

Name: Daniel Tervoort
Why is it that the only two SF authors that I regularly search for in used bookstores are the two that are the hardest to find? (I speak, of course, of Harlan Ellison and Philip K Dick.) The only Dick book you ever see with any regularity is the Blade Runner movie edition. 9 times out of 10 I can find NOTHING by either author... and the 10th time is usually something I already have (most likely that damn Blade Runner book again). I swear, every other SF and fantasy author has plenty of titles to choose from. Does anyone else have any favorite authors that they can never seem to find second-hand (or even first hand)?

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
FOR SALE:

Mint condition w/usual minor browning to edges.

9 paperback First Editions.

James P. Hogan

THE MIRROR MAZE
VOYAGE FROM YESTERYEAR
GIANTS' STAR
THE GENTLE GIANTS OF GANYMEDE
MINDS, MACHINES AND EVOLUTION
THE TWO FACES OF TOMORROW
INHERIT THE STARS
THE GENESIS MACHINE

Interestingly, the author seems not to mind using and re-using blubs by two prominent Jew-boys -- the late Isaac Asimov, Prof. Marvin Minsky of MIT -- on his published works.

Enter bids on this site. Highest bid at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning gets the lot. Postage will be added to the winning bid.

Washing his hands of the Pharisees,

Harlan (a Jew-boy) Ellison

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Daniel: I have never had a problem finding Philip K. Dick material, last few years. Part of your problem may be that you're looking among the mass-market paperbacks. Many of Dick's novels were reprinted in trade paperback not long ago, by the usual scale of such things, and I regularly spot the variously colored spines of the volumes in question, all lined up in a row, among the trade paperback sf books in the big-two chain stores. (IE. Borders and Barnes and Ignoble.) I haven't noticed their disappearance, of late. So they're available.

Harlan: What would you call that set? THE PROTOCOLS OF THE ELDERS OF SCIENCE FICTION?

I'm sure I will snatch them RIGHT up after I finish this great book, THE TURNER DIARIES...!

(Incidentally, even were I by some happenstance a ravenous Hogan reader who wanted every one of those books, RIGHT NOW, I'm not certain I would be able to muster sufficient self-possession to make you an offer, in this particular context.)

Also: where, precisely, are these comments on 52 and Civil War? I rarely enter the forums and do not have the patience to search.

And, All: if you manage to get your hands on a copy of LOST GIRLS, by Alan Moore and Melinda Gebbie, and of course, I mean, BOTH hands, please do. It's certainly not for everybody, but what an astonishing piece of comic book art.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:12 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
I FORGOT TO MENTION:

Each of the nine paperbacks bears, on the "display page," i.e., the first page, i.e., the "display page" -- the embossed sigil of provenance from "The Library of Harlan Ellison" in an intaglio circle, with HE in the center.

Consider this an element of "Condition of Sale."

Harlan

Jim Davis

Cool! I need some mulch for my back yard!

Postby Jim Davis » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Name: Jim Davis
I'll put in a bid of ONE PENNY for the Hogan paperbacks. The only catch is:

They must be shredded, and

said shreds must be placed in a clear Zip Lock bag, and

said bag must also contain a card with a pithy comment written on it by a Certain Famous Author With A Nifty Website Who's Also A Member Of The International Jewish Conspiracy.

If the notion of shredding a book offends Certain Famous Author, or he doesn't want the resultant tsuris that might come, disregard this post and set the bids back to zero--'cause I can't imagine that I would ever actually want to read ANYTHING by a known Holocaust Revisionist. (Shame on you, Hogan!)

Yrs. Truly,
Jim "Yeshiva Boy" Davis

P.S. Why is it I suddenly have NO problem with Dan Simmons' story?

P.S.S. ROGER GJOVIG: My deepest sympathies on your recent loss.

Anthony Ravenscroft

the top-secret project which the NY Times exposed...

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:43 pm

Name: Tony Ravenscroft
Here's their website:

Will these leather-lunged no-neck trailer-park outcastes never cease in the absurdity of their "values"?

TR

(goshdarned NSA...)

Postby TR » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:45 pm

Name: TR
their website:
www.swift.com/

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:54 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Thank you again to all those offering support and kind thoughts.The funeral as I thought was hugely attended today and was led very well by the pastor. There were a lot of tears shed for a wondeful lady who was full of life and very loved. I was thanked graciously by her youngest daughter Cindy after the interment at the cemetary for all the time I spent with Janet the last few weeks and for the support I gave. When I was hugging Pam, her oldest daughter, I had a flashback to a trip I made with Janet to drive Pam back to college in Iowa City just after Christmas, which I believe was early 1981.That time of year it was probably a 2 hour drive and I remember holding hands with Janet the entire drive back to Des Moines and it was snowing and we were having a terrific time talking about everything and nothing at all. I really hated for that trip to end we were having such a great time. When I left the cemetary today and headed home I stopped for a little while at my church and spent some time in the sanctuary in the dark with just the light from the hall. I just needed to sit there in prayer for a while and thank my Lord for giving me the strength to get through this the past few weeks and to give Janet's family the hope they need as they continue on with life and to remember the good times they were able to share with Janet along the way. As I left I noticed our young vicar who has been a great source of encouragement the last few weeks. He was in our library doing some research for his sermon Sunday and I stopped briefly to say hello and share what had happened this week. He hugged me and gave me some encouragement and told me he was looking forward to seeing me this Sunday.I know men don't hug much it seems, but at the time it was something I really needed. I know I've gone on way too long but it's been a great comfort to have you all at my back and I just wanted to share the rest of the story. I'm listening to a new record by Dallas Holm called "Good News Blues" as I type this. He is one of my favorites and I've sung quite a few of his songs as solos at church the last 25 years. Thanks again, I'll see you tomorrow. Roger

Tony

New Spider Kiss

Postby Tony » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:25 pm

Name: Tony
Hello everyone!

After posting on the other side of the forums a nice man named Mr. Loftus suggested I might ask my question here instead.

And it is: Does anyone know if the new version of Spider Kiss coming out from M Press (page 35 of the latest Previews catalog/magazine) is a more preferred edition than the Edgeworks version?

Many thanks,
Tony Adams

Julie Sparks

Postby Julie Sparks » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:14 pm

Name: Julie Sparks
Hi there - I know this is completely off your regular topic, and I apologize is this is way out in left field but I just finished watching the documentary "Why We Fight" which is now available on DVD. I'm hoping that I can encourage others to check this piece of film out - it's the best documentary on the current state of affairs I have seen to date. There's some fairly serious footage of Eisenhower's speeches warning of the negative impact of the military-industrial complex, and uncontrolled corporate influence on the war machine, particularly as it relates to the current Iraq occupation. I was just visiting New York City on the weekend, a Canadian tourist going to a Broadway show, Times Square on a Saturday night, and there they were, the SWAT team in full tactical gear, machine guns and all just hanging out in front of the Lion King. I was wondering whether I should run or hit the dirt in the event of any stray gunfire...no one else seemed too concerned....is this the new normal? If so, as thinking humans what's our next move? Somehow voting them out is not working...the governments simply dismantle the system...
My government just spent 8.2 billion dollars on a couple of helicopters, which will probably get shot down in a week...media has been systematically locked out, and bills are being passed while no one notices. None of this is making much sense to me anymore. If as writers and artists, we don't speak up, how long before free speech and our opportunity to protest in any real way is gone forever? At what point is it time to get in the street and stay there until something changes?
Perhaps I'm being alarmist but I'm concerned..your thoughts...

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”