Pavilion Digest: June 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Postby paul » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:48 am

Name: Paul
Source: unca20060807.htm
Personally, I'm appaulled.

(I don't believe I did that.)

Anthony Ravenscroft

Sheldon/Tiptree

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:28 am

Name: Tony Ravenscroft
Started reading her stuff in 1978.

A stunning answer to Campbell's dictum against "humans in funny costumes" & one of the best examples of English prose in history: "Love is the Plan the Plan is Death."

Perhaps the funniest & most ghastly punchline you'll ever read: "Yanqui Doodle."

(As to that latter, the setting is more true than ever, but you'll probably have to be watching BBC Worldwide to notice.)

At the moment, I'm trying to locate a copy of a fairly recent Tiptree book that features more of her "on writing" articles.

And, hate the man if you must, Platt managed to get a very nice one-on-one interview with her.

DTS

Postby DTS » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:37 pm

Name: DTS
I just helped jerry-build a bed for a couple of Sheilas from DownUnder(really -- no, really).
--DTS

DTS

Darn!

Postby DTS » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Name: DTS
Darn: it just doesn't work if your name isn't the same as the word your playing with, huh? Darned if I'm gonna make any doorway, doormat, doornknob jokes...cause I've heard so many bad ones in my time....
...okay, to hell with it:

I've been known to go dormant for a week in during the height of winter.
--DTS

Tim Walker

With regards to not much of anything in particular...

Postby Tim Walker » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:01 pm

Name: Tim Walker
I proffer this quote from James Joyce, circa 1918, for no other reason than that I really dig it:

"As an artist I am against every state. Of course I must recognize it, since indeed in all my dealings I come into contact with its institutions. The state is concentric, man is eccentric. Thence arises an eternal struggle. The monk, the bachelor, and the anarchist are in the same category. Naturally I can't approve of the act of the revolutionary who tosses a bomb in a theatre to destroy the king and his children. On the other hand, have those states behaved any better which have drowned the world in a blood-bath?"

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Name: Frank Church
How about Simmons comes here to give us his take. That might be fun for one and all. I think his comment was dumb, but I would never call anyone a nazi, unless...they were a nazi. The fascists do like to hide, so ya gotta really look hard for dem.

---------

Some guy was on Franken today, from the evil New York Times. He was mentioning a book he has written, where he surveys the common fact that work stress is the cause of sickness and death in a large clique of American workers. Once again, another simple fact to back up my thesis that capitalism is a bad, bad thing.

-----------

We have a cult of the person. It is more about a name value, assigned by the popular culture mafia, then it is by talent alone. We even do this with politicians, where two rich, skull and Bones dudes, fresh off the cosmic tit, can run for high office, with no ideas exchanged, beyond which guy would be a better companion, swigging a beer. Ideas are so yesterday, you see, and substance is ether. The reality based community knows that pr is the trickster and the behind the back pass is how they cram this into our craniums.

The sell is the thing. Sell a war, sell soap, sell beer, sell a President, it is all the same thing. You make Hitler look cute and you could sell hitler T-Shirts on the boardwalk of Venice beach. Advertising uses adverse logic, to reverse the mind of evolutionary structures. The knuckle draggers are now the entertainment state pimpers. This is why we see Paris Hilton on Leno, instead of Harlan.

Leno: "Hey Paris, what do you think about this whole Iraq war thing?"

Paris: "Iraq, what's that?"

Leno: "You know, we are at war in Iraq, you know, Iraq??"

Paris: "I think I heard about that when I was getting my legs waxed. Leg waxing is hot."

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:28 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Let me be Frank.

This whole name game makes me want to chuck the whole thing. It makes me want to up-chuck.

And now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to prepare dinner.

Chuck roast.

By the way, did you know that if you used my name in the song The Name Game, it'll come out obscene? Try it some time.

Chuck

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:47 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
My friend Janet died early this morning.I had continued visiting her while in the hospice and was the last non family member allowed in to see her. Visitation is tomorrow night and the funeral is Friday. I was able to control my emotions in her room better than a lot of others, but it still hurt a great deal to see her in such pain. It's very difficult to see a friend in such distress and not have a magic wand to be able to fix things. I'm just glad she isn't suffering any more.

Paul Jon

Simmons

Postby Paul Jon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:53 pm

Name: Paul Leslie
Just to briefly clarify my last post.

I have never posted on Dan's site. Only a few times on Harlan's.

I had not seen the Simmons May/June message before two days ago and I thought maybe some other people here might also have not seen it and want to check it out.

Dan Simmons is a great writer and has great intellect. Far more than I, which is why his messages have been so polemic and powerful. I just wish he could see the dangers posed by his own government as clearly as those of the Islamists and write on that but that's his call.

Peace

P.S. I would have written this on the Bulletin Board but some trojan is blocking my e-mail to get my access key. Maybe later.

Edward King

The "Coolest" Award For The Great Literary Talent That Is HE

Postby Edward King » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Name: Edward King
Yeah, Harlan has bragging rights (writes, rites??) for being one of the most talented scribes to ever put pen to paper, but that's just so much dressing for the mantle. When I punch in "Harlan Ellison" on the E-bay search engine, Tom Waits pops up as a "related search." Ha, the Nebula Awards can go screw!!!
Words of wisdom:
"You find a chick and take her home. It ain't no use; you're always alone." -Bon Scott

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:41 pm

Name: Eric Martin
Roger, I'm very sorry for your loss. Strength and peace to you, and all her friends and family.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:50 pm

Name: Brian Siano
I've been over at Dan Simmons' site, mainly because I'd wanted to read the responses he got to his April commentary, and if he followe dup with anything interesting. I have issues with it, of course, but I didn't bring'em up over there.

One reason was this: whatever was said about Dan Simmons and his article _here_, it was extremely mild compared to the commentary I read over _there_. At least two choruses running in ear-gashing counterpoint.

As for the guy who cited Webderland as a source of Dan-Simmons-is-a-racist-Nazi screeds... he's got axes to grind, too, not the least of which is casting liberals as Islamofascist apologists or anti-Semites who hate Israel. He _needs_ to think of Simmons' critics as being cut from the same cloth.

But the guy did enlighten me on something pretty ugly that I hadn't known before: apparently James P. Hogan's been posting on his blog about his enthusiasm for Holocaust Revisionism. And _not_ just on free-speech issues, either; he's apparently found Arthur Butz convincing and the repellent Mark Weber impressive. (I had an exchange with Weber when I was at _The Humanist_. The pleasure in eviscerating his lies was considerable.)

Rick Keeney

ROGER

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:50 pm

Name: Keeney
I'm sorry.

I know she was a dear friend.

Warmth,
Rick

Todd Cassel

Here Comes Dream Corridor

Postby Todd Cassel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
Solicited in the latest Previews, out today: Harlan Ellison's Dream Corridor Volume 2.

$19.95, 152 pages. Check out page 27 of Previews and stare with amazement at the drawing of our Host. Is this Bolland art (cover artist) or Shanower? It's not credited, but it's nifty.

I never anticipate something that is 5 months away, because at this age the days come and go quickly enough and I would rather they slow down a bit: but I do anticipate walking into my comic book shop on November 28.

Ciao. -TODD

Nathan Pitts

Hellz ya!

Postby Nathan Pitts » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:55 pm

Name: Nathan Pitts
That's Bolland art baby! A-fucking-mazing!

Can't wait can't wait.

I was thinking, Harlan and manga might be an interesting comibinaiton. Or maybe not. But to have Yoshitaka Amano (Sandman: The Dream Hunters) paint an HE story would be pretty sweet.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”