Pavilion Digest: June 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20060807.htm
ERIC:

Stop backing-and-filling. I read your posts, and nowhere did you call Dan a Fascist, a Nzi, etcetera, ad nauseum. No need for you to see yourself in the spitting rage I threw. Had it been YOUR post, I'd've said so. As has been ventured, whoever went pissing at Dan's site, used us shabbily, and made up those canards. I half suspected that was the answer to it all.

But you've been behaving very well for some time now, and we all admire you the more for it.

Patronizingly, Yr. loving nanny, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
ERIC:

Stop backing-and-filling. I read your posts, and nowhere did you call Dan a Fascist, a Nazi, etcetera, ad nauseum. No need for you to see yourself in the spitting rage I threw. Had it been YOUR post, I'd've said so. As has been ventured, whoever went pissing at Dan's site, used us shabbily, and made up those canards. I half suspected that was the answer to it all.

But you've been behaving very well for some time now, and we all admire you the more for it.

Patronizingly, Yr. loving nanny, Harlan

KristinRuhle

Ahem...

Postby KristinRuhle » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:07 pm

Name: Kristin Ruhl
...Only Harlan speaks for Harlan, but it's best to be careful when quoting this site elsewhere, since it is an official site and any and all messages end up being associated with Our Host.

And yes, he is *extremely* loyal to his friends, and who they are among writers/celebrities, at least, is pretty well known.

I read the Simmons message at least a month ago - it DOES say May/June and has been up since early May if not late April. There should be another one up pretty soon since June is winding down, assuming it's a regular column. Don't bug him about when though.

Kristin
not sure I'd really want anyone beaten up on my behalf, though

Elijah Newton

pipe dreaming

Postby Elijah Newton » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:23 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Harlan Ellison, George Carlin and Henry Rollins on stage together with John Stewart attempting to moderate the discussion. (on what topic? heck, anything! faith in human nature as a launching point would work)

On another note, an interesting music thing that might amuse:
http://www.pandora.com/

Give it a name of a band, and it'll use a 'music genome' to procure more music you'd like, and stream that music to you over the interweb. Costs nothing and (for the first while at least) doesn't require you to put in any information. Eventually it prompts you for an email address and suchlike, but you do get to play with it for awhile first and it's pretty neat. My tastes aren't all that off the beaten path, though I can confirm that neither Brooklyn Funk Essentials nor Squirrel Nut Zippers stumped it, though I hear it has a pretty weak recognition of classical music.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 am

Name: Rob
I hit a new low in life yesterday, even for ME.

I don't want any pious lectures or finger-pointing moralizing about how wrong this was, as I suspect everyone here (INCLUDING our hosts) has tried it at least ONCE in his (or HER) lifetime...

I tried to rob a half-blind homeless guy in front of Sav-On. OK? Now you know.

Just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Adam-Troy

Currently Reading

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:17 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Currently reading, for review in SCI FI magazine, the biography of James Tiptree Jr. that Harlan mentioned some time back. Am not even out of her childhood and am amazed.

In a field filled with extreme, unlikely, adventurous personalities...ranging from Philip K. Dick to our genial host..."Tiptree" was more than most a character too astounding for fiction.

("The Man Who Walked Home." Too many others to name. Wow.)

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:56 am

Name: Duane
ROB said: "I tried to rob a half-blind homeless guy in front of Sav-On. OK? Now you know."

I tried to "DUANE" a girl I met at a party once. Didn't quite work out.

remarck

too tempting

Postby remarck » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:23 am

Name: Keith Cramer
I once took a Keith to a party and everyone looked at me as if I tried to rob a half blind homeless guy at a Sav-On, right before they Duaned me.

-Keith

Michael D. Blum

Postby Michael D. Blum » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:39 am

Name: Michael D. Blum
I Michael constantly. Every day.

Kelly Brown

Postby Kelly Brown » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:54 am

Name: Kelly Brown

Adam: I'm reading Marvel's Civil War as well but it just doesn't feel genuine to me. I'll admit I like the idea of it but I don't think it will hold. Too many times has Marvel done something only to have it's effects entirely reversed. Of the Civil War titles I'm actually enjoying "Front Line" the most because it's largely concered with how the events of Civil War effect the bit players and civilians.

For the same reason I think DC has the right idea in focusing on the minor characters in 52. It can do real damage and tell a proper story without having to play by the StarTrek novel rules (at the end Kirk, Spock, etc must be effectively reset for the next episode).

Lets be honest I read superhero comics because I have a basic flaw in my character. I redeem myself monthly with Y the Lastman , Fables and Fell.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:01 am

Name: Douglas Harrison
"I Michael constantly. Every day."

I Doug constantly, but only in the past.

D.

John Greenawalt

Did you know?

Postby John Greenawalt » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:02 am

Name: John Greenawalt
One of the Hollywood studios once had a woman producer. Her nickname was "little miss mouse fart."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:08 am

Name: Steve Barber
Congrats to Harlan's friend JMS:

'Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment have purchased J. Michael Straczynski's thriller The Changeling , which is being eyed by Ron Howard to direct, Variety reported.'

I tried to rob a girl once, and to Duane her. I kinda Doug it, but she started Harlan and in the end all I could do was Cramer.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:16 am

Name: Jim Davis
I jimmied the lock on Florida Congressman Jim Davis's door once, while wearing a Garfield costume--and then traveled back in time.

That new biography of Tiptree looks like a must-read. Alice Sheldon was a fascinating woman whose work had the impact and precision of a Reuters dispatch from some dusty warzone. She just KNEW THINGS about human nature that other writers didn't, and SF is luckier than it knows to have been the genre she chose to work in. I think I'll pull down my half-foot of Tiptree paperbacks and reread them, to prepare for the bio. Everyone should do the same.

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:29 am

Name: Tom Morgan
Nothing like a little tomfoolery with lunch.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”