Pavilion Digest: June 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Adam-Troy

Corrections

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:44 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Source: unca20060807.htm
I told that story from memory, subsequently checked my facts, and find that I need to make some quick corrections.

First: the MEDUSA still remains where it was left.

Second: the incompetence of the Captain is even worse than I painted. He HAD NEVER captained a ship before, had in fact never even been to sea before, and was here given a fleet of four vessels; he made no effort to keep the other three vessels in sight and quickly lost them. Part of the problem was that he disdained the working-class crew and preferred to take his advice from people with connections, i.e., a certain aristocrat named Shmaltz, who had ALSO never been to sea.

When the ship ran aground the Captain had an opportunity to lighten its load and float it off, but did not want to sacrifice his precious cargo. He dithered, threw off a few light objects, and through a number of high and low tide cycles made the grounding permanent.

A number of people stayed on the MEDUSA, rather than set foot on the raft, but no effort was made to rescue them for more than fifty days. Many of THOSE starved. I stand by my statement that the passengers would have lasted if left on the ship for two weeks.

The ship lasted way more than "a year"; indeed, parts of it are still in place.

It strikes me that this incompetent, rich-brat mediocrity, who would only take advice from people in his social class, and who sailed his ship into disaster which he then worsened by jettisoning his responsibility toward the people in his care, is a personality type that remains with us still.

Site Admin

Rob, A-TC

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:41 am

Name: Steve Barber
"It strikes me that this incompetent, rich-brat mediocrity, who would only take advice from people in his social class, and who sailed his ship into disaster which he then worsened by jettisoning his responsibility toward the people in his care, is a personality type that remains with us still."

Thinking of any particular mediocre and incompetent rich-brat?

I have to admit, with more than a little red-faced embarrassment, that I was completely unfamiliar with the story of the Medusa until just now. This sounds like an amazing and horrific tale of the sea that bears reading. Thank you. For someone who considers himself reasonably versed in the literature of the sea, this one escaped me completely.

And in an unrelated note (except for the above "rich-brat" commentary): It occurs to me that I own a video camera, a pair of boots, speak openly about California secession, and frequent subversive websites such as harlanellison.com and washingtonpost.com.

**mommy**

(Thank God I'm not poor...)

TallyJohnson

Happy Belated B-day to Mrs. E...

Postby TallyJohnson » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:00 am

Name: Tally
and I am aware that Julie is no longer with us...but the only higher-up at DC with any institutuional memory is Paul Levitz.

Jim Davis

This Just In!

Postby Jim Davis » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:11 am

Name: Jim Davis
The head of the Philip K. Dick android is STILL missing!: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/24/movies/24andr.html

Kelly Brown

DC

Postby Kelly Brown » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:01 am

Name: Kelly Brown
I'm really impressed with the way DC is handling the aftermath of their latest attempt to rationalize DC continuity.

They're being patient. All the regular titles that were affected by the Infinite Crisis have been stamped with a "One Year Later" label and the stories pick up a year later after the event with no real attempt to provide the interstitial events.

Those are being provided, in large part, by "52". "52" is a weekly comic that chronicles the events of the heretofore (first time I actually used the word, feels strange and wrong) untold 52 weeks. We find out what has happened to the missing, maimed and the not truly dead. Best of all they have the Elongated Man, who has lost his wife, turn grim and brooding as he copes with his loss and tries to find out why it happened and where he's going next. It's nice to see a comic relief type hero get a bit of the spotlight and show off a full character.

Steve P.-O.

Postby Steve P.-O. » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Name: Steve P.-O.
"Though it remains so, there is--once again--the irrefutable FACT that a vast amount of money is taken in by the Con every year, and even with the exorbitant fee they pay for the convention center and its security and its facilities, the organizers work at this "Convention Thing" full-time, all year. And they are salaried. Make of THAT what you will."

I make very little of that, actually, as I can't think up a single non-profit organization of comparable size that is run solely on a volunteer basis.

And, while I can but speculate on this, it's entirely feasible that though there are people who work full-time on the Con, the Con might be only one part of their full-time jobs. (If, say, one works FT at a publisher who puts out three magazines, then one can say one works FT on Magazine A, FT on Magazine B, and FT on Magazine C.)

And I can add only that I wish I were attending again this year. It's a beast so vast that one is able to create one's own convention. I pretty much spend the entire day, every day, sitting in on all of Mark Evanier's wonderful panels full of Golden and Silver Age comics creators. Add in a few televsion show panels (BSG, Smallville) the Eisner Awards, and JMS's Q&A session, plus an autograph or three (the ones with no lines), and that's a very filled four days of entertainment well worth the $50-$60 admission (though just barely worth the $150/night hotel cost -- and that's the cheapest one there!).

Jason Michelitch

LINK OF POSSIBLE INTEREST TO HARLAN

Postby Jason Michelitch » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 pm

Name: Jason Michelitch
Trolling the internet the other day, I came across a link to a short film clip of Le Hot Club de France performing, seemingly clipped from a short film piece most likely shown before features back when movie theaters were lovely places where one went because they wanted to go, rather than the cheapass ripoff places we all go to feed our addiction and because we can't help but want to taste a little bit of the magic, no matter how diluted or debased it has become...

ANYWAY...the link. Of Le Hot Club de France. Knowing of Harlan's passion for Django, I thought I might post the link here, and, Harlan, if you do not possess the minutiae of technical doo-daddery to make use of it yourself, perhaps someone else here could be of assistance. If, of course, you are interested. There are some lovely clips of Django's fretwork, I should add. Simply....mmm!

http://www.dvblog.org/movies/03_2006/django.mov

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Name: Rob
"the incompetence of the Captain is even worse than I painted"

"he made no effort to keep the other three vessels in sight and quickly lost them."

"he disdained the working-class crew and preferred to take his advice from people with connections, i.e., a certain aristocrat...who had ALSO never been to sea".

"A number of people stayed on the MEDUSA, rather than set foot on the raft, but no effort was made to rescue them for more than fifty days".

"It strikes me that this incompetent, rich-brat mediocrity, who would only take advice from people in his social class, and who sailed his ship into disaster which he then worsened by jettisoning his responsibility toward the people in his care, is a personality type that remains with us still".

"All of the survivors were men...They were certainly in no shape to properly confront the Captain, who greeted them with open arms and a beaming smile, piously thanking God for their survival. (He did not go along on the rescue mission.)"

Why...GEORGE just walked in the DOOR!

Adam-Troy

What Hath Harlan Wrought? And Other Notes

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:00 am

Harlan,

A thousand-word section of a novella of mine, "The Juggler", (which only appears in my Wildside collection A DESPERATE DECAYING DARKNESS, but which Ellen Datlow told me WOULD have made her Year's Best had she gotten the copy I requested for her (dammit!)), was posted on the bulletin board in question, as (what I suppose to have been) the author's fanfic about his character. He changed the names and some of the nouns, but otherwise replicated my prose.

Not only did he get this (alas) obscure story out of this obscure collection, but two people on the board recognized the section, alerted the proprietors, and informed me.

I registered, found the excerpt, and responded with a stern warning explaining at length that this was plagiarism and illegal and dangerous to both the board and the individual. I said legal action was a possibility and offered a way out: i.e, removing the offending post, giving the individual a stern warning, and requiring him to apologize. I talked about past cases of this sort, AND SPECIFICALLY YOUR AOL suit, and the possible penalties.

The guy has evidently been in trouble there before, for various infractions.

He contacted me and said that he was a big fan and couldn't resist. I told him that if he was a fan, he should not plagiarize, but that it was okay as long as he took this as a learning experience.

I have also received thanks from the board proprietors, for my measured response.

So it's over. I think it was up for less than a day.

Still: your actions continue to reverberate. Thank you.

Reaction to other commentary here --

Rob: yeah, once the resonances are pointed out, don't they become impossible to ignore?

AND:

As a comic book reader, DC's "52" strikes me as mildly amusing junk, and "One Year Later" hasn't really produced any spectacular turning points, that I've seen (with a few minor exceptions, that being Catwoman's single motherhood and the significant lightening of Batman). That said...Marvel's CIVIL WAR is absolutely blowing me away. Facing those established characters with a genuine controversy -- one that can be argued, where neither side is entirely right or entirely wrong, and either option has serious consequences...inducing their flagship character to make a decision that will turn everything upside down, after agonizing over the cost to himself and his family...making that decision as a matter of **principle**...is storytelling of the sort you rarely see in the genre, where the bad guys wear costumes and call themselves evil so the heroes know to punch them.

Adam-Troy

Quickie Addendum

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:15 am

Harlan --

I cut and pasted most of that explanation from my own newsgroup, elsewhere, accidentally leaving out the sentence that explained that the "bulletin board in question" was a role-playing site.

Sorry.

However, you get the picture. The guy typed in my writing as his own, changing the character names. Your precedent helped give the threats to him weight.

A-TC

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FLYING BLUE MONKEY SQUAD ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:09 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Lt. Col FinderDoug, Subaltern Alejandro Rierra, Sgt.-Major Dannelke, all members of the 101st, 102nd, 103rd & 112th Airborne Divisions:

ATTENTION
ATTENTION
ATTENTION

I have tried every source known to me, and cannot locate the lp/cd listed below. I seek same. The mission, if you accept it, will be dangerous and difficult. As usual, if you are killed or captured, the organization will deny any knowledge of your existence. But we'll put up this really snazzy plaque here at the aerodrome-cum-monkey pens.

The item in question:

MANUEL de FALLA: Suite Populaire Espagnole: Cancion

I want ONLY

repeat ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY the following rendition:

Lee Ritenour, guitar
Dave Grusin, piano
James Walker, flute

issued originally on DECCA 012 157 960

I don't know what year. I don't know if it has been re-released on CD. I do not know if, by chance, since the performers are mostly known as jazzmen, this has been filed online or with music salespersons, as jazz, rather than classical.

Fly, my legions, FUH-LIEEEEEEEEE!

Yr. pal, internetistically-challenged Harlan

Mary

Postby Mary » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:37 am

Name: Mary
I'm on vacation this week...I'll keep all eyes and ears open for it...

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:54 am

Name: Brian Siano
Blue Monkey Pfc. Siano Reportin' sir. Me an' O'Malley went over the top to scout around, and we found a place where the album _Two Worlds_, by Ritenour and Grusin, containing the track, can be downloaded for a nominal (and properly licensed) fee. Use Internet Explorer to browse to:
http://musicstore.connect.com/album/500 ... 28412.html

But this is downloading the music into an Ipod; you want a CD. Buy it from Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... nce&n=5174
You can hear a sample of the track there, too. Very pretty.

Charles Samuels

Suite Popular Espanola: No.3 Cancion

Postby Charles Samuels » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:59 am

Name: Charles Samuels
Harlan,

Though I am not 100% certain, I believe the redition you are looking for can be found on Grusin & Ritenour's realse of 2000 titled, TWO WORLDS. The link to Amazon.com where the CD can be ordered is at the bottom.

The reason for my hesitation is that James Walker is not credited in the Amazon descritpion. However, a search on eBay (and a few other places I'd never heard of) for the same titled returned DECCA 601215796025 in the description enough times to make me feel pretty good about it.

Here is the link the Amazon.com page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... nce&n=5174

And though I'm not a member of any of the divisions you called upon, my father served in the 82nd Airborn.

-Charles Samuels

Tom

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:06 am

Name: Tom Morgan
I also found it on eBay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAVE-GRUSIN-LEE-RIT ... m#DESCDATA

If you clik on the more info link below the picture you get the track listing and the fact that James Walker is credited on that song. Or this link may already be to that more info page.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”