Pavilion Digest: May 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Todd Cassel

One Final Birthday Note With Pugs

Postby Todd Cassel » Wed May 31, 2006 7:02 am

Name: Todd Cassel
Source: unca20060606.htm
The other day, my wife was letting me know that I couldn't be mean to our two pugs (Nova and Peewee) because it was their birthday. Three years old. Of course, I'm never mean to our two pugs except for when I squirt Peewee with water when he gets a bit rambunctious, but that's a different story altogether.

So, guess what famous Grandmaster that share their birthday with?

Didja get is in one? Yup, I don't recall doing so, but it looks like a few years ago I searched high and low in the Valley of the Sun until I could find the one pug breeder whose champion puppy machine had spit out two pugs on the same day as our illustrious host was celebrating another one of those dozens of birthdays.

Just as I celebrate my birthday with Elvis Presley, Soupy Sales and Larry Storch, my pugs get to celebrate theirs with Harlan.

-TODD

Adam-Troy

Together in Farthood

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed May 31, 2006 7:02 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Harlan, I shouldn't need reminding, every year, that your birthday is only a week or so after mine. I blame the onset of dementia. And Happy birthday.

Rick Ollerman

Harlan

Postby Rick Ollerman » Wed May 31, 2006 8:07 am

Name: Rick Ollerman
When I read your post about being a CFS sufferer I wanted to offer my sympathy. I am one, too, and it's a horrible thing made doubly so by the fact that externally you look so much better than you actually feel. Non-afflicted people just don't get it.

Mine is abating somewhat (except in times of stress) and I hope yours improves or continues do to so.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THAT FADED FOTO

Postby Harlan Ellison » Wed May 31, 2006 8:15 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Got it. Thanks to each and all. Josh called this morning to add his mother's Photo Shop skills to the possibilities y'all offered. I think I'm good now, so you can go back to discussing the IMPORTANT STUFF.

Oh, incidentally, the final, spectacular issue of

HARLAN ELLISON'S DREAM CORRIDOR

will be published by Dark Horse on November 23rd. I okayed the promo copy to appear in the Diamond catalogue (as brilliantly written by my beloved editor, Diana Schutz) yesterday. The Brian Bolland cover is to die for.

Yr. pal, Harlan

TallyJohnson

NEW DREAM CORRIDOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby TallyJohnson » Wed May 31, 2006 8:36 am

Name: Tally Johnson
HOT-DIGGETY-DOUBLE DAMN!!!!!!!!!! Only thing better than new Ellison fiction is new Ellison comic splendor. With a Bolland cover. Time to start bugging the fine folks at the local funny book depot as we speak. Speaking o' funny books, any news on the Dr. Fate project that was kicked around pre-big events?

Erika

Postby Erika » Wed May 31, 2006 8:42 am

Name: Erika
Harlan,

I have a recommendation for you. If you plan on getting that photo framed, I recommend UV protective glass. :) I don't have a specific recommendation for a type of paper best fit for maximum preservation, though. Maybe someone else can chime in on that?

Oh, I must also thank you (again) for that reply a while back about the effect of science fiction on society. I think my original reply got lost the milieu... Anyway, that was mighty swell of you to take that time and reply! :)

-Erika.

Ray Carlson

Happy Birthday Unca Harlan!

Postby Ray Carlson » Wed May 31, 2006 8:44 am

Name: Ray Carlson

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Mark:

The copy of CITY OF THE EDGE OF FOREVER that you ordered has been mailed to your Dad.

Thank you.

Susan

Bill Boyce

Phoenix Without Ashes

Postby Bill Boyce » Wed May 31, 2006 9:56 am

Name: Bill Boyce
I know that hearing about "The Starlost" doesn't prevoke fond memories for Harlan Ellison. I'm curious though, given that interest in his concept seems to still exist to this day, why there have been no additional books or writings. Do the individuals who managed to uterly destroy his concept still have legal ties that bind?

Bill

Mark Goldberg

Thanks

Postby Mark Goldberg » Wed May 31, 2006 10:41 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Harlan and Susan,

Your timing is impeccable. I will be going back to Philly to see my family next week, so it will be great to see his reaction soon after receiving the gift.

Thank you so much,

Mark

Jim Davis

Belated Birthday Wishes

Postby Jim Davis » Wed May 31, 2006 11:23 am

Name: Jim Davis
Happy Birthday, Harlan! Though I may occasionally dissuade you from sucker-punching certain Unnamed Authors, you have my fullest blessing to get in the ring with Life and Art, and pummel those bad bitches till the lymph comes out of their eyes. Long may you rage, man.

Rob Ewen

Minicon 41

Postby Rob Ewen » Wed May 31, 2006 12:21 pm

Name: Rob Ewen
Hello - it's me, the Sick Rob of the East. Wow.....I decide to catch up with the Webderland after nearly two months away from it, and discover there are all these people concerned for my health. I'm deeply touched. Thank you, from the heart of my bottom!

I realise that Harlan is now 72; I'm now 44; the Nebulas have come and gone; and MiniCon is a dim and distant memory. However, I wanted to drag everyone's thoughts back in time to that amazing weekend in Minneapolis just once more (despite Kristin' s wish to have swapped Minnesota for Arizona!).

I cannot hope to match Mr Dannelke's superlative account of the events at Tempe, so I won't even try. I will, however, just jot down a few comments at random concerning the occurrences and people that have stuck in my brain since Easter.....

First, the Webderlanders:

THE OLD....

FinderDoug (congrats on selling that story, old son!)
Kosmo Cramer & girlfriend (sorry Keith - didn't get to chat with your missus v. much - but I did get to share a lift with her in a swimsuit - it was a tight fit for both of us, but still.....)

...AND THE NEW

Amy & Ben - thanks for the ibuprofen!
Kristin and the Bear
Roger and his mum
Mark (never did get to Hell's Kitchen, more's the pity - Mr Kramer did, and saw
Al Franken in there)
Scott (still can't discuss GALACTICA, I'm afraid...but at least Season 2 of
LOST has now started up over here)
Rick and da daughters

There was also Annie the nurse, who provided me with a killer massage, and librarian supremo Jody Wurl, who gave some of us a guided tour of the delights of downtown Minneapolis. Not forgetting John Pistachio and Tracy - a delightful couple. Thanks to one and all!

I should also like to thank Susan E. for being so contagious , and Harlan E. for introducing me to the delights of:

a) Mallomars (didn't realise these were an endangered species, Harlan, but I can see why - heaven on earth!)

b) White Castle 'sliders' - hmmm........

It was emotional.

regards
Rob

(Don't know when I'll be going stateside again - my next venture will hopefully be to Worldcon in Japan next year.....see you all before too long, hopefully....)

(I also got to meet George Takei in Madison the following week - a very charming man - so an additional bonus on top of everything else).

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 31, 2006 1:42 pm

Name: Frank Church
Michael Moore is being sued by a soldier who lost both legs in the Iraqi war. He says that Moore used footage of his in Fahrenheit 9/11 that made the soldier look like he was against the war, when he was actually supporing the war. I don't remember that scene, but if the soldier wins, imagine how this could chill free speech. Anybody who is offended by some footage in a movie could sue, for any reason.

I feel for the soldier, but freedom comes first. If Moore decides to settle out of court, this could be tragic.

No matter what you think of Moore's tactics this is important to understand. Freedom is supposed to be messy.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 31, 2006 2:02 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Frank -
Gotta disagree with your interpretation. If I'm at an anti-war rally and it's run on the evening news as a pro-war rally then I've got a legit grievance. I haven't seen the film, but if this person is portrayed as anti-war and this is contrary to what was actually occurring then he's got every right to set the record straight and register the objection.

Disclaimer: The above assessment is reached by someone who is very much against "Dubya's War".

SB

(And RATS! Harlan obviously saw through my nefarious intent to Photoshop his image into various historical events a-la "Forrest Gump". You shoulda seen the image of Harlan crossing the Delaware I'd already constructed in my mind...)

Keeney

Middlesex Rob

Postby Keeney » Wed May 31, 2006 6:44 pm

Name: Keeney
glad you made it home alive.

da daughters say, Hey!

email me, wouldya?

Rick

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”