Pavilion Digest: May 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Mitch Keith

Happy Birthday

Postby Mitch Keith » Tue May 30, 2006 2:06 pm

Name: Mitch Keith
Source: unca20060606.htm
Happy Birthday. This might just be my faulty cogitator, but seems to me Mr. Ellison just had a birthday last year.... Well, I'm sure he wouldn't steer us wrong, so I want to join in the throng and wish the Greatest Living Writer a wondermous Happiest Birthday!! I pray to God(s)(essess's) that you have 100 more! And, just as important, I hope we are all there to usher each one in!

Tim Lowe

Much Love

Postby Tim Lowe » Tue May 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Name: Tim Lowe
Being a fan of HE for over 25 years ( ! ), I know well how he feels about gifts. Having said that, I'm sure he appreciates the kind words and birthday wishes we all have tossed his way lately.

But I want to take this opportunity to thank Harlan for a gift he gave to me....

Harlan, your writing has never failed to make me think and question the status quo. Often, it has involved lost sleep. Yes, more than once, anger may have guest starred.

To put a finer point on it: Thank you for entertaining me, for teaching me, and for always being you.

(Not to mention being extremely nice to me the two times I have talked to you in person.)

Thank you, Harlan.

With love only those of us who are regulars here can understand,

Tim

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 30, 2006 3:02 pm

Name: Frank Church
Joseph Finn, glad to see you back in the fold. One hot muffin spawn to go with your java.

----------

Remember this name: Smedley Butler. Look it up and learn.

Todd Cassel

Harlan Returns To Fantasy And Science Fiction ?

Postby Todd Cassel » Tue May 30, 2006 3:16 pm

Name: Todd Cassel
I just received the July issue of Fantasy and Science Fiction in the mail today. In the Coming Attractions, there is the following comment on the upcoming September issue.

Harlan, would you care to comment, or should we just sit tight and wait for all to be explained in two months:

"Looking ahead, we'll have an interesting experiment in the September issue: three writers try their hands at finishing the story that Harlan Ellison was unable to complete. Mr. Ellison was pleased by the results; we think you'll share his sentiment."

-TODD

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Tue May 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Thank you to those that emailed me or left comments on this board. Knowing that there are those that have gone thru similar situations and are willing to share of their experiences with me and send kind thoughts and prayers my way means a great deal to me. Life goes on, but somedays the load just gets to heavy to carry alone, and to have friends to share that load is incredible. Thanks again. Roger

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

HARLAN SEEKS ASSISTANCE + 2 OTHER MATTERS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue May 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
I need anyWebderlander and/or Flying Blue Monkey to steer me to the artisan I need. I'll ask the question simply, in hopes it will stanch the flow of what-ifs, how-comes, and other nth-degree maddening diversionary remarks you clowns back your Peterbilts up to me and dump onto my loading dock.

Here it is: ITEM THE FIRST

a) I have a framed snapshot taken with an everyday camera--not a digital or high-end instrument--and in that photograph I am shaking hands with Carl Barks, the Duck-Man hisownself. 1993, for the curious.

b) The sun has faded it.

c) I know the technology exists to bring back the color and make it crisp and sharp and restore the skin-tone to the two now-vampire-white subjects shaking hands in the shot.

d) What IS that technology; who performs use of same as magic, the way it's done on crime shows on tv; and how do I locate said wizards? Names if you know 'em. Phone numbers if you got 'em. Or, at least, name of technology so I can go look where most efficient.

ITEM THE SECOND

Todd Cassel: I called Gordon Van Gelder at F&SF and gently told him I was unhappy with that phraseology. It wasn't that I was "unable" to finish the story, as much as it was that I'd had the basic idea for years, had never been able to figure out an ending as clever as the beginning, and thought it would be a lark to write a brief essay (which I did) in which I pointed out that an "idea" is not a "story," and that a lot of neat-o ideas never go any further ... and wouldn't it be a lark to toss that great idea out to three disparate writers; and see what THEY could spark with it. So I did, they did, and the "endeavor" will be published in F&SF in a month or so.

But...

For a man who has been mercilessly hounded and defamed for decades because he couldn't "finish" THE LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS -- and isn't it interesting to note that recent studies of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, with which I've suffered for thirty-plus years, now show it IS REAL and probably genetic -- and it struck me in 1973 as I was well into TLDV -- and would someone mention that to Christopher Priest, who has never missed an opportunity to ridicule my "imagined illness" as yet another reason to pillory me for being "unable to complete" TLDV -- for such a man, Gordon's careless phraseology (with no malice intended, I'm certain), "unable to complete," is less than salutary.

ITEM THE THIRD

Shit hell damn! Forgot whatever it was that was third. I'll think of it eventually. But Items 1 and 2 ought to suffice for the nonce.

Yr. pal, Harlan

P and S: Thanks again for all the latest good wishes.

steveperry

Flying Blue Monkey report

Postby steveperry » Tue May 30, 2006 4:34 pm

Name: Stephen
a few places offer the service you seek:
http://dejaviewphotos.com/ [sorry, no phone number or address]
http://www.digitalrestoring.com/ [10 Alpha Place, Lincoln Park, NJ 07035]
http://www.a2zphotorestoration.com/ [678-849-4444]
http://www.phototouch.biz/ [530-873-1717]

there are hundreds more out there, none show anything better than any of the others on the surface. I have never used any of them, but they do turn up clean with the BBB.

And belated happy birthday.

Stephen

AlexKrislov

Why even bother?

Postby AlexKrislov » Tue May 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Name: Alex Krislov
Harlan, I can understand your concern at the wording--but there's no point in anyone pointing it out to Priest. Anybody who thinks you're lazy is so eaten up with his own obsessions as to ignore the obvious evidence. You've written, what? 76 books now? 77? Something like that. Priest has written about 15. I don't weigh quality by the pound, but if we must consider how much work a writer's produced, you're not just in the big leagues, but the heavy hitters box.

A long, long time ago, you made a remark about some people thinking Bob Silverberg was supposed to be "a story factory" because he worked so steadily. You mocked the notion. You were right. Prolific as he was at the time (producing "The Man in the Maze," "Son of Man," "Thorns" and heaven knows how many more of his finest works in a very brief span), even he couldn't make _every_ story come out whole. Some stories, some projects, don't come together. That's life. I expect that's part of what the F&SF piece will be about.

Only twits burning with seething green envy sit there whining about what you _haven't_ done. And only willfully cruel people mock the weakness that comes with illness. I ran into a few of those when I was fighting cancer (and, for all intents and purpose, sleeping through nearly two years of my life).

The whole issue is bull. You know that.

Ah, well. Belated birthday wishes, oh Grandmaster. Hey, I never realized how close your birthday was to Miles Davis' until this year. Seems appropriate, that closeness.

FinderDoug

On Photo Restoration

Postby FinderDoug » Tue May 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Name: FinderDoug
"d) What IS that technology; who performs use of same as magic, the way it's done on crime shows on tv; and how do I locate said wizards? Names if you know 'em. Phone numbers if you got 'em. Or, at least, name of technology so I can go look where most efficient."

For a snapshot, the picture is scanned to create a high quality digital image; the image is then manipulated by any one of a number of software packages - Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, PhotoImpact - the package used will vary from store to store. Many camera stores, from the chains down to the smaller independents, offer photo restoration services.

I have no typical 'guy' who I've used for such services. My recommendation is that you don't want to deal with a long-distance merchant that will require you to mail them the original photo (some do), because you run a higher risk of losing it the more hands it passes through. To that end, if it was me, I'd start by talking to two stores in Sherman Oaks who offer such services, see if they do their own restoration in-house or if they send it off-site, and gauge your own comfort level based on their responses to your questions:

Hooper Camera - 14622 Ventura Blvd - 818 784-9020
Ritz Camera - 14006 Riverside Drive #86 - 818 986-6050

I'd also call American Photo Restoration (est. 1977), located in Hollywood - 1680 North Vine Street, Suite 1211, 1-877-263-9563. While their web site says photos should be scanned and e-mailed or posted, because you're local you may have luck with a drop off/pick up, or may simply be more comfortable mailing locally as opposed to cross-country.

Happy hunting!

JaySmith

Photoshop Magic

Postby JaySmith » Tue May 30, 2006 5:48 pm

Name: Jay Smith
If you can have the photo scanned, Harlan, I can take a crack at restoring it using the software suite I have here. I presume it is sun faded, the red are gone and the whites are amber and the amber's gone brown.

Let me know if you want me to have a look. By way of resume, I once actually extracted a photo of Bern Xanadu and his wife from the shadows of my wedding. THAT was like picking out the alien on the grassy knoll.

Site Admin

Harlan

Postby Moderator » Tue May 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Name: Steve Barber
I think this is something we can do, if you don't have anyone earmarked. Both Cris and I use Photoshop extensively.

I'll call tomorrow.

Steve B

Keeney

ramble on

Postby Keeney » Tue May 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Name: Keeney
I had such a flashback today.

I have been reading science fiction in general since I was 13 and I first spotted that wicked-ass cover of van Vogt's WAR OF THE RULL-- you know, the one with the dude poised astride the behemoth with spear raised--as I sat there rifling through a lot of other crap on the book spinner in the 7-11 store. I read the first few pages of that one and I thought, This shore ain't THE PHANTOM FUCKING TOLLBOOTH, no way!

That's the same way I discovered Harlan. But I discovered others too. Strange names called out from strange looking books. And those other voices have been allowed to run rampant before my eyes; a few resonate to this day.

Ray Bradbury, Ted Sturgeon, Kate Wilhelm, Chip Delany; all friends I never met.

Today I picked up an oldie that for some reason I have yet to read. And reading it I remembered one of the strongest, most self-assured voices I know. One of the guys who I came to trust implicitly. One of the WRITERS to whom I entrusted my imagination.

Roger Zelazny never let me down. And today MY NAME IS LEGION forced me to remember how that all worked. Dude walked like an avenging angel through the pages of every book or story that carried his brand. Telling stories with a bullhorn in one hand and the other hand fisted. Hot boots leaving scorch marks on the bindings. Roughshod; like that.

"Would you mind terribly if I dropped by again sometime?" he says at one point in "'Kjwalll'kje'k'koothailll'kje'k."

No, Roger. I don't mind. You just keep on coming back, old champion.

ok,
Rick

Tom

Of things 72

Postby Tom » Tue May 30, 2006 7:52 pm

Name: Tom Morgan
Harlan,
Allow me to add one more to the wishes of a happy day and congratulations on completing another year maintaining the standards of ethics and productivity to which you so relentlessly hold yourself and from which so many of us benefit.
I thought a little about the number 72 and:

Seventy Two
It may interest you
Is Two to the Three
Times Three to the Two

OK, so Martin Gardner I'm not, but I wish the best to you and Susan and enjoyed seeing and talking to you both in Tempe. It's getting late so I will post later on what to do with this plate and other Nebula memories.

Alex Jay Berman

Harlan's Restoration Period

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Tue May 30, 2006 10:57 pm

Name: Alex Jay Berman
HARLAN: Karl Kofoed, an sf illustrator of some reknown (He did the "Galactic Geographic 3003" magazine/coffee table book), is also a professional photo restorer. You can see some of his latter work at http://users.rcn.com/kkofoed/photosamples/photo.html --I've seen some of his restorations in the up-close, and they're quite good (Brian can attest to this).

His telephone number appears on the web page I cited above.

Bud Webster

HARLAN:

Postby Bud Webster » Tue May 30, 2006 11:52 pm

Name: Bud Webster
A belated Hombly Borgeek. I pinch your claw in bonhomme.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”