Pavilion Digest: May 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Mon May 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Source: unca20060606.htm
It's been a tough weekend. I got a call late Saturday night that a long time friend of mine that has been struggling with kemotherapy for her cancer just had a stroke and was in the hospital. I went to see her Sunday and it was really tough seeing my friend I've known for 25+ years as a vibrant and fun person reduced to this frail person bedridden with her kids who i also know at her side to help her. Very tough to deal with. Then I get home and check my email and find out my aunt/stepmother who is now married to my father is in the hospital in Iowa City with pneumonia and other physical problems.So I have to break the news to my mother and ask if she would like me to drive her over there Monday, knowing my father would also be there at the hospital when we visit. Being a good sister, she has me drive her over and we spend about an hour. Granted Helen is 83 and has not been in the best health for a while but it is still tough going to the hospital to visit family,friends or whoever.We survived the visit and put up with my father, although it was really tough for my mother to walk as far as we did just two weeks after her latest surgery on her hip. She is doing much better and is in a lot less pain so I guess that is an improvement. I guess that is it. I hate to bend your ears with trivial stuff but it helps to get rid of the pain some times by leaving it here on this screen. Take care. Roger

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 29, 2006 4:14 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Roger -
Very sorry to read of your difficult week. It seems, sometimes, that the news when bad just piles upon itself, one event to another.

The only words of condolence are "be there" for your family and friend, and take care of them to the best of your ability. It will not only be appreciated, but will, in and of itself, prove to be a salve for your own wounds.

Our thoughts, and I am sure I speak collectively, are with you.

SB

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon May 29, 2006 4:49 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
This one's to Roger Gjovig:

I have an idea of what you're going through. I can only hope that the ordeal will end with a recovery for those ailing, and that they are back to their old selves soon. Keep your loved ones close.

Chuck

Shalanna Collins

Happy Birthday!

Postby Shalanna Collins » Mon May 29, 2006 7:52 pm

Name: Shalanna Collins
Happy birthday, Mr. Ellison! I'm the person you once phoned (because of Our Mutual Friend Sally's encouragement) to give a first-page story critique on MY birthday (about four or so years ago) and we got to talking about our favorite novel, Don Westlake's _Trust Me On This_, and several aspects of good and bad writing (grin). I have never forgotten this, and I still appreciate it. You reminded me of my dad, who has been gone for years . . . and my professors in college (the ones I liked.) I hope that your Memorial Day birthday was happy and joyful!

Sincerely,
Shalanna Collins
still unpublished (sigh)

Jeff R.

Late again...

Postby Jeff R. » Tue May 30, 2006 2:33 am

Name: Jeff R.
Harlan, I hope you'll accept these belated congratulations on your birthday. I promise to be more punctual with my "Happy Birthday" wishes for your NEXT 72 natal days.

Jeff R.

Late again...

Postby Jeff R. » Tue May 30, 2006 2:34 am

Name: Jeff R.
Harlan, I hope you'll accept these belated congratulations on your birthday. I promise to be more punctual with my "Happy Birthday" wishes for your NEXT 72 natal days.

TallyJohnson

Happy Belated Birthday

Postby TallyJohnson » Tue May 30, 2006 5:38 am

Name: Tally Johnson
Happy Belated Birthday to Harlan...Hmmm I'm a sucker for May b-days, cos my political hero (JFK) was born on 5/29...curiouser and curiouser.

Amy Kostyn-Jenkins

Postby Amy Kostyn-Jenkins » Tue May 30, 2006 5:39 am

Name: Amy Kostyn-Jenkins
A belated Happy Birthday to my fellow birthday-hater.

We loves ya, mister.

Amy & Ben

Mark Goldberg

Happy Birthday

Postby Mark Goldberg » Tue May 30, 2006 5:44 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Harlan,

I hope you had a wonderful birthday weekend!

Roger, I am sorry to hear about the ordeal you are going through. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers,

Mark

Thomas Wilde

Postby Thomas Wilde » Tue May 30, 2006 6:33 am

Name: Thomas Wilde
I just stopped by this site for the first time in a while and noticed this software, so I figured I'd leave a message for Mr. Ellison.

I'll forego the story as to how I became a fan of yours. The larger point is that I simply wanted to say to you, indirectly though it may be, that you and your work are an inspiration to me.

Thanks for sticking with it.

Reactionary

Postby Reactionary » Tue May 30, 2006 6:47 am

Name: Reactionary
English women no longer capable of bearing children.

Leftist voluntary racial suicide cults growing in UK.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ ... 50,00.html

Site Admin

Wife Playing Local Gig

Postby Moderator » Tue May 30, 2006 7:24 am

Name: Steve Barber
Don't know if any of the LA-Based Webderlanders would want to come, but From the Department of Spousal Promotion: My wife (a jazz singer) has been booked this upcoming weekend at The Gardenia Restaurant and Lounge in West Hollywood. They called us yesterday to add a second night, so she'll be there both Friday and Saturday nights. Show starts at 9. Email me for the phone number if you'd like to come, we'd love to see and meet youse guys. Reservations highly recommended at this point.

(Rick, please delete if this is out of line.)

Robert Morales

Postby Robert Morales » Tue May 30, 2006 11:03 am

Name: Robert Morales
Dear Reactionary:

So only white women can qualify as British, hm? I'm certainly pro-abortion for trolls ...

Duane

To "Sebastion" Re. Question #3

Postby Duane » Tue May 30, 2006 1:37 pm

Name: Duane
Ever hear of the Kyben?

Just because we haven't heard from them in a while doesn't mean they're not out there.... somewhere....

Don't turn your back, chum!

Harlan, happy birthday from a fan.

Faisal A. Qureshi

Granada Media & Peter S. Beagle

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Tue May 30, 2006 2:05 pm

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Brian,

Thanks for posting this. Most of Granada's operations are still based in Manchester and so this will make interesting reading to many here.

FAQ

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”