Pavilion Digest: May 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Bob Ingersoll

And Best Wishes From Me, Too

Postby Bob Ingersoll » Sat May 27, 2006 9:36 am

Name: Bob Ingersoll
Source: unca20060606.htm
Harlan,

Allow me to offer you my best birthday wishes, too.

Bob

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat May 27, 2006 9:45 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Everybody: Thank you. And thank you. And...

Oh, yeah, also ... thank you.

And Bob Morales, put your clothes back on.

Susan (in defiance of our pinkie-swear w wouldn't "do" the gift thing, gave me only a

GREAT

birfday gift. She is such a peach, my honey.)

Had dinner at Mogo's Mongolian BBQ last night with writers Paul Guay and his partner Steve Brion; and Josh; and Susan. What a terrific evening.

And did I happen to drop in a proper THANKYOU to all of you?

Yr. pal, Harlan

Aaron Teschner

Hoping for as much clarity of mind in my brain

Postby Aaron Teschner » Sat May 27, 2006 10:54 am

Name: Aaron Teschner
Hey, happy birthday HE. I got back to the forum a little late :)

-A

Douglas Harrison

This Is Post-Thank You, but What the Heck ...

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat May 27, 2006 12:03 pm

Name: Douglas Harrison
Now that you're a Grand Master, Harlan, I think you should be able to work backward with the birthdays, a little like Merlin.
So happy 70th, HE.

D.

Steven Dooner

The Hawwor! The Hawwor!

Postby Steven Dooner » Sat May 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Name: Steve Dooner
EEK! and ICK!

My hard bound copy of 'Vic and Blood' has been completely devoured by a colony of book maggots!! I am not kiddding. This is the most disturbing thing I've ever seen happen to a book. When I saw it from the outside, I noticed that the book looked like it had burned or had experienced severe water damage. When I tried to pull it off the shelf, I discovered that the entire contents of my signed edition had been turned to dirt! The pages were gone!! I am not exaggerating--this all happened in under six months. The colony had also finished with 'Vic and Blood' and had eaten half of my hard bound copy of 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' Volume II and then continued right into my hard bound 'League of Extraordinary Gentleman 'Volume I. I'm in shock! All my favorite graphic novels have been wiped out at once.

So, everybody! Please, check your copies of the Ellison and Corben 'Vic and Blood.'

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Grandmaster Ellison!

Steve Dooner

P.S. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Josh Olson

Hey, Harlan!

Postby Josh Olson » Sat May 27, 2006 12:10 pm

Name: Josh Olson
I just wanted to say publicly that getting to know you and - holy shit! - working with you have been better than any seventy birthdays combined. There's nothing I could possibly get you that could compare to the gift of knowing you and Susan.

So I'm buying you some socks.

Happy birthday, my friend.

Sebastion Cavendish

Postby Sebastion Cavendish » Sat May 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Name: Sebastion Cavendish
What was Harlan Ellison's opinion of the new King Kong film?

Is Harlan Ellison afraid of dying especially as he says he is an atheist.

What is his opinion as to the likely hood of there being technologically advanced civilizations elsewhere in the universe?

I know he was an acquaintance of the great scientist Carl Sagan what is his fondest recollection of him?

When is he going to publish a NEW book not a reprint or collection of reprints?

That's all for now.

Alejandro Riera

Is it that time of the year already?

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sat May 27, 2006 12:58 pm

Name: Alejandro Riera
My Gawd, time does fly in this little corner of the universe. And I thought it was only yesterday when I wrote "Apio verde to you" when wishing you a Happy Birthday.

Wait a miinute....was it last year that I did that? Or the year before that? Oh, no senility is beginning to creep in. Before it does any more damage to this fragile little mind of mine, a rather belated happy birthday to you Harlan.

Alejandro

Greg Hurd

Postby Greg Hurd » Sat May 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Name: Greg Hurd
O' Happy day to the only fella to EVER (in my supposed state of adulthood, and rightly so) call me "kid". Best wishes + try to get back to Michigan!!

Rob Ewen

HBME

Postby Rob Ewen » Sat May 27, 2006 1:47 pm

Name: Rob Ewen
Happy Birthday, Mr E.!

Best wishes from across the pond,

Rob

(Paul also wanted to wish you birthday greetings, but I don't like to interrupt him when he's eating.....)

(A little something is in the post.)

(Hello to the E.B. also - thanks for the big, wet, sloppy kiss down the phone - hope you're finding the mags to your liking!)

Faisal A. Qureshi

Postby Faisal A. Qureshi » Sat May 27, 2006 2:04 pm

Name: Faisal A. Qureshi
Hi Harlan,

Congratulations and many happy returns on your birthday.

Steve - My complete sympathy with your strange plight. Book maggots? Did they evolve to be flies? What kind of enviroment would one have to live to promote this kind of growth? I thought maggots fed off decaying organic matter. How strange, please keep us updated.

The closest I got was finding out about a CD/DVD devouring fungas in Cuba which had eliminated some of my students music collection. I wish I had taken a sample to give the microbiologists back here (chances are I would be immediately arrested by UK customs for harbouring a weapon of mass destruction). It was certainly something I had never encountered before and it was quite interesting to see first hand though required humid conditions to become effective.

FAQ

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sat May 27, 2006 3:06 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
Have a terrific birthday Harlan. Let's hope you have many more happy and healthy ones. Greetings to Susan. As always, looking forward to the next Rabbit Hole, which I mught add you do a fabulous job on. Roger

Mary

Postby Mary » Sat May 27, 2006 4:21 pm

Name: Mary
Happy Birthday Harlan!!

You don't look a day over 40...I can hardly wait to be your age and look that good.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLY TO "SEBASTION" (misspelled) "CAVENDISH"

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat May 27, 2006 4:28 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
(Or Whoever The Hell You Really Are)

(Since we abominate hiding-behind-pseudowebonymes here.)

(So you can assume I'm answering these questions not because I am in any way "embracing" your reality OR your anonymity, but truly only because my ACTUAL friends and readers here might find the answers diverting ... sort of my affectionate 72nd birthday present to them, much as startling as Josh and Annie showing up on the doorstep half an hour ago to surprise me with a wonderful jar of home-made sugar cookies -- the jar labeled POISON -- and the 2nd season of DEADWOOD as a DVD set!)

(If you want to hang around, step into the light.)

So.

1) Haven't seen it yet. Dying to. We have an if-come with Olson to see it on DVD, as beamed massif-size on his 1400 square foot plasmafuck neutroniomic tv screen. Alsoto be found in your gazetteer as Bolivia.

2) Am I afraid of dying? No.

2a) I do, however, admire Woody's reply to the question: "I don't mind dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

2b) How odd that you would ask that question and not understand that if one IS an Atheist, as am I, death is not the fearsome final frankfurter, it's LINGERING that chills my blood. To Alzheimer-out, needing my nappy changed, burdening Susan with a vegan's banquet, THAT is what once-in-a-while causes me turnin'&tossin'.

Ooops, someone just rang the doorbell, and someone has interrupted my solitude, so I'll come back later. Maybe.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Jack Skillingstead

Sheesh

Postby Jack Skillingstead » Sat May 27, 2006 4:39 pm

Name: Jack Skillingstead
Harlan, I had no idea it was today. (Well, I had a slight idea, but wasn't sure). Happy Birthday, man.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”