Pavilion Digest: May 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue May 09, 2006 2:31 am

Name: Ben Winfield
Source: unca20060606.htm
HARLAN,

Sincere congrats on the Grandmaster Award. I've been suffering a serious guilt trip due to the fact that I've procrastinated reading more of your stories, and if you're finally receiving the kind of recognition you've deserved for years, it's not my doing in the slightest.

Curiously, I've heard some individuals remark that you appeared "aged and unwell" at the ceremony. I hope they were basing their judgement on the image constantly found on the back of 20-year-old dusk jackets as opposed to anything remotely approaching the real deal.

(Come to think of it, I've noticed that still photographs of yourself tend to portray a seemingly feeble, chronically exhausted man, but when actually seen in motion during a random television interview, you become an entirely different creature. Forget night and day - this is more like black hole and supernova. It's amazing.)

Kevin Avery

Postby Kevin Avery » Tue May 09, 2006 3:21 am

Name: Kevin Avery
Wow, Benjamin, you really know how to dish out the compliments. Do you always light up a room like this?

remarck

Nebulas were great

Postby remarck » Tue May 09, 2006 4:38 am

Name: Keith Cramer
I was so damned happy to be there. Could go on for days about my experiences.

Loved Harlan's acceptance speech. The man is still growing and changing at 71 and 352/365s (or whatever). Based on the stuff he read at Minicon, and his speech at the Nebulas, he very likely does have his best work ahead of him.

As a slight aside, I once wrote Harlan a fan letter when I was 15 years old. Did not keep a copy of it. But I distinctly remember deliberately messing up his name (Harlan Ellisot, I believe), in a huge act of denial (or rebellion) that I was actually sending a simpering fan letter. Pride can be bad or good, depending on how you use it.

So, Ben, it's okay to love Harlan and his work. Really. You're not weird. It's why we're here.

-Keith

Kerry

Congratulations

Postby Kerry » Tue May 09, 2006 4:48 am

Name: Kerry
Harlan, good on ya mate! The Grand Master, just as it should be.

Cheers,

Kerry

Elijah Newton

Postby Elijah Newton » Tue May 09, 2006 5:16 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Heya Harlan, chalk me up as just another of the unwashed masses a-grin with delight at your Grandmaster-dom.

Glee!

Dougie McIntosh

Congrats / quick (and tardy) thanks to Brian Siano

Postby Dougie McIntosh » Tue May 09, 2006 6:34 am

Name: Dougie McIntosh
To Harlan - Late congratulations and a salute in the lanbuage of my people :

"Lang may yer lum reek"

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you Mr. Siano, I had forgotten the ending of that anecdote
- it has been 24 years, mind !

- Cheers,

Dougie.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Tue May 09, 2006 8:20 am

Name: Brian Siano
To Ben Whitfield, re Harlan's photographs. I can readily understand the difference between photography and Real Life. Y'see, while I'm told I look reasonably well in person, photographs are just not my friend, generally speaking.

There are dark area under my eyes which seem to _love_ photoreceptors as much as they used to love photo emulsion, because whatever's there just _leaps_ out through the lens and establishes huge colonies on the pictures. And in the past year years, the grey in my hair's decided to make things even less sparkly and glamorous.

So it doesn't surprise me when photos of Harlan don't match the Young Turk we all know and love. Most of the photos I've seen have tended to be the studio pics off his dust jackets, or pro-made television footage. Otherwise, they're as catch-as-catch-can as anyone else's; bad angle, lighting's off, the wrong shadows, etc.

In other words, I pay no attention to the comments about how Harlan looked, unless they come from people who were there and spent time with'im.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue May 09, 2006 9:40 am

Name: Jan
Ben, I just had a horrible thought. What if... what if we'll all look aged when we're into our seventies. ;-)
They must be in a real hurry to get THE DISCARDED filmed. I thought Harlan was done with the script for the time being and exhausted from it, and now he already has to work on the next draft? Not very considerate.

Jeff R.

For KEITH CRAMER

Postby Jeff R. » Tue May 09, 2006 9:54 am

Name: Jeff R.
Did Mr. Ellisot answer your letter? If so, anything repeatable here?

Tim Richmond

Postby Tim Richmond » Tue May 09, 2006 10:55 am

Name: Tim Richmond
Barn E., Harlan, Susan, Doug, Scott
Sadly to say Andrea's Grandfather passed away last night. John Morris was a great man, a funny smart man(as you may remember Barn), who liked to rattle people with his political and social views. He hated Bush and let everyone know it, particularly local radio stations. Sunday as he was lapsing into a coma, Andrea's Uncle, his favorite foil, came into the room and said "Hey I saw your buddy with the red tie on TV this morning." Grandpa's eyes opened as he griped the sheets and attempted to engage in well-oiled, proper Bush bashing.
When we traveled to Ireland a few years back we visited with Andrea's family who brought us out to the crossroads where the rails once ran and Andrea's Great-Grandmother hopped the train to the steamship that brought her to the U.S. All that was left was a lone tree beside a narrow road that led to the old house. When we got there Aidan, Andrea's cousin, pointed to a large hill that loomed over the house and the valley on the other side. "Johnny Morris used to climb that hill to watch the sun rise. Every morning I'd see him standing at the top just looking out over the valley." He was like that: meditative, but commanding.
There's so much more, his affinity for "the ponies," his distaste for cops (who he called "the real terrorists"), his love of a good ham. I know that at 93 you can't ask for much more, except as Harlan said to me when my Grandmother passed; doesn't matter gone is gone. And so another history book burns.
Once when Alexa was dancing around doing her spastic gymnastics and watching herself in the mirror I said, "Hey stop looking at yourself will ya! Its obnoxious already!" Grandpa John, who was sitting on the couch watching and clapping his hands turned to me and said, "Well you have to understand, it's always necessary to believe in infinity." When I return to play in Ireland in July, Im sure to think of that moment when I climb the hill next to the old house and look out toward the horizon for whatever it was that he saw.

sochin, (peace)

Kelly Brown

Postby Kelly Brown » Tue May 09, 2006 11:13 am

Name: Kelly Brown

Does anyone, Harlan included, have a (or a link to) transcript/copy of the his GM speech?

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Tue May 09, 2006 11:43 am

Name: Eric Martin
>And in the past year years, the grey in my hair's decided to make things even less sparkly and glamorous. <

Go with Loreal coloring, Brian. Works better than Clairol as a blend, and doesn't have ammonia.

Barney Dannelke

preamble and condolences

Postby Barney Dannelke » Tue May 09, 2006 11:50 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Tim *** I remember him well. My sincere condolences on your loss. Shit, my loss, hell, OUR loss. I'm sorry you had to come home to such shitty news. Flying West to East is hard enough without that waiting for you on the transom. I'll call in a bit. Hugs.

*** EVERYBODY else *** I'm working on a "real" post and don't want to rush it. I may even spellcheck it. But I'm home safe and grinning from ear to ear and prouder than I can say of Harlan's Grandmaster.

So, tomorrow then -

Barney

Chuck Messer

Andrea's Grandfather

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue May 09, 2006 12:41 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Tim,

I'd just like to extend my condolences on the loss of Andrea's grandfather. Sorry you both had to come home to that.

Chuck

Anthony Ravenscroft

The Dorian Gray Effect

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Tue May 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Name: Tony Ravenscroft
I've got a couple of nice snaps of Ellison from Minicon. Even though the guy was fighting back pain, lack of sleep, & delayed effects of OTC painkillers, his photos seem to end up 20-40 years older than the Authentic Article. Or, rather, the camera sucks at capturing the reality.

I dunno, maybe there's a filter for that....

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”