Pavilion Digest: May 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: May 2006

Postby admin » Mon May 01, 2006 5:40 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of May 2006.

Mark Goldberg

Civility on the Internet

Postby Mark Goldberg » Mon May 01, 2006 5:40 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Source: unca20060606.htm
I was having an email discussion with another Webderlander when the subject of Frank Church came up. To be perfectly honest, I do not care one iota whether Frank really is his name, or he is Gladys Mitchell from Secaucus, but the idea of civility in postings is one that interests and confuses me.

Anonymity is a powerful defense. If no one knows who you are, there are fewer, if any, direct consequences to your actions. With that invisibility, some individuals feel empowered to act in ways that they would never behave in outside society. This is a mindset that is completely foreign to me.

Creating an alternate persona so that you can hurl invectives at people, most of whom you have never met, seems to me to be one step away from a serious split personality disorder.

Please understand, I am not directing this as a shot at anyone in particular, but am really perplexed by the tone of a lot of postings on the board here lately and trying to understand the motivation of some of these individuals.

Mark

P.S. Stephen Perry, mazel tov, on the birth of your child. I would affirm the earlier comment that you enjoy your sleep while you can, as having 2 kids is exponentially tougher than having just one

Kelly Brown

Wee Steve

Postby Kelly Brown » Mon May 01, 2006 7:17 am

Name: Kelly Brown
If I knew how much fun children were going to be I would have been a lot more careless in high school. Congratuations and look forward to more laughs than anyone reasonably has a right to.

remarck

Faith in Sopranos restored

Postby remarck » Mon May 01, 2006 8:39 am

Name: Keith Cramer
I don't know if anyone here caught the Sopranos last night, but 3 scenes last night restored the series to relevancy. No spoilers. But if you haven't seen it, do so.

And Harlan: Maybe last night's episode will push you over the edge to "love" the show, instead of merely experiencing pleasure from it guiltily. Of late it HAS been a mean show. Last night, though, was pure goodness and humanity and kick ass writing. Best show in 3 years.

-Keith

Keeney

so...

Postby Keeney » Mon May 01, 2006 1:38 pm

Name: Keeney
...am i the only one who got a letter from RAY BRADBURY today?

Rick

p.s. holy shit

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Mon May 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Name: Eric Martin
No, I got one too. But it's the usual one he sends every month, wanting to know where the fuck his money is, and send the turtle back if I'm not going to pay for it.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon May 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Just a quick drop-in to advise any who might give a spark:

Rose at 6 AM, wrote all day, it is now 4:30ish ... sent off the first draft of Josh's and my THE DISCARDED. At the risk of tying my own shoelaces, I think it is a pretty nifty job.

Integrating Josh's voice and mine is yet to come; and dealing with the producers' notes. But I really DO THINK it's going to be a show worth having written.

I'm off to watch "Prison Break" and sleep the sleep of the pure.

Yr. pal, Harlan

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 01, 2006 2:50 pm

Name: Frank Church
Steven Colbert is my new hero. He gave it good to the fake Bush broodites, but our bought media gave him nothing but bad reviews today. He did his Frank Church best to turn Bush inside out, laying napalm land mines under every dinner plate. I'd say Valerie Plame got her revenge. Is she hot or what?

Chris Matthews wanted Colbert to respect the Presidential office a bit more. I bet he would not have said that about someone like Castro, or Hugo Chavez. Not all leaders deserve some romantic respect, where slings and arrows are reserved for the quivers of only serious news. Colbert proved that you can be snide, funny and correct. Art upsets the comfortable, turns over the apple cart, making apple pie out of the bleeding hearts. Amen and amen, Mr. Colbert.

steveperry

re: Welcome to the world Stephen Philip Perry

Postby steveperry » Mon May 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Name: Stephen
very large and loud: THANK YOU, EACH AND ALL.

Stephen

Barney Dannelke

Leavings and arrivals and leaving outs

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon May 01, 2006 4:43 pm

Name: Barney Dannelke
preamble - This, properly, should be on the other board but I can't post over there at the moment. This is nothing between me and Rick. It's simply that I've been gone for well over a year and no longer have the old verizon email. I also no longer have my old password. Since the site doesn't "see" me at this new address with a new e-mail I can only get on by registering under a different name than Dannelke. I have no interest in re-registering under any name other than my own.

So the following goes here...

*** Eric Martin *** Please extend to me the same courtesy you now expect from Kristin. Particularly when lumping me into a group such as you defined over on the other board. On the day when I start sniping anonymously from the sidelines, masking I.P. addresses, posing as people I am not, misattributing or attacking Harlan or otherwise shitting the bed in this little community, you may feel free to write your version of Webderland history however you like. Until then, treat me with the bare minimum of courtesy you expect [and demand] from Kristin.

Sincerely - Barney Dannelke

And to many of the rest of you - see you in AZ. Travel safe.

- B

Robert M Blevins

Postby Robert M Blevins » Mon May 01, 2006 4:57 pm

Name: Robert M Blevins
Is NorWesCon considered a REAL science fiction convention?

paul

Go get 'em, young and old(er)

Postby paul » Mon May 01, 2006 6:07 pm

Name: Paul
Mr. Ellison, i just wanted to say from the bottom of my heart, congratulations Grand Master. For years of literary, literal and figurative ass-kicking, I salute you. Man, i'm dizzy with excitement and I'm not even getting the dang award. Safe traveling for you and the Missus, eat carefully, don't tango with a coyote, all those things. Looking forward to saying hello. Looking forward to "An Hour with Harlan Ellison". Just an hour? Well, okay, i'll accept what i'm given. We'll just make that hour stre-e-etch. (apologies fer my lame-ass, but you know i HAD to.)

RIch~ You're a peach. Thanx for the jaded understanding. : )

Stephen Phillip Perry~ Hello!! I think i would love learning to read all over again. It was so much fun the first time.

Stephen Colbert is always brilliant. His WIGFIELD collaboration with Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello is sly, slick and i sure wish i would have seen the Broadway show. Man, i bet that flew.

Leaving Texas Wednesday night. Give me a shout if there's a group hug this weekend. Would love to see what some o' ya'll lovely folk look like.
Safely goes it,
p.

DTS

Writing till your butt hurts & the new "Rolling Stone"

Postby DTS » Mon May 01, 2006 7:30 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: Way to go, Ohio! As one who knows how tough it can be to actually stay glued to your seat for more than four or five hours in a row while tapping the keyboard (before getting up to get a snack or find a distraction), I'm impressed at your stamina. Can't wait to see the final product.

ALL: The new issue of "Rolling Stone" has a _great_ article dissecting the presidency of King George (President Bystander as Bruce Springsteen calls him); and a great article on Springsteen and his new album, culminating in a quote about Dubya and his presidency that is one of the best, most mature and thoughtful summations about the current administration that I've ever read. Not bad for a guitar picker.
--DTS

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon May 01, 2006 8:02 pm

Name: Duane
Harlan, I want to offer my congratulations on your upcoming Grandmaster award. In my opinion, you're the Johnny Cash of the short story.

Doc

It Ain't Bricks or Dead Gophers, BUT...

Postby Doc » Mon May 01, 2006 11:06 pm

Name: Doc
Dear Friends, I hate to just drop in and ask, but I need a favor. If you can help me out, I'll be forever in your debt ('cause I can't think of a way to repay you...).

Here's the deal - ten years back, my mom "took in" her cousin's fuck-up step-son, so he could get his life together, and all he had to do was help her keep her rental properties in order. In the past 5 or 6 years, though, the quality and quantity of his work has gone into the ground like a fucking dart, until it vanished entirely. She has given him countless opportunities to get it together, but he continues to cost her money, including in some cases preventing her getting money she should have had (rents etc.), and almost ran off her one good, regular renter by being unconscionably rude to her. Furthermore, he has installed crackheads in her other properties, and wondered why the places got trashed while no rent was paid. He has stolen from me - last year, my best friend and I went all the way to Amarillo to refurbish a duplex he was supposedly taking care of, and a 1 - 1 1/2 month job turned into 4 1/2, during which he obstructed us at every turn. And he's actually stolen from her. He seems to think the house he's in is his property and that she owes him everything for him being here "taking care of her" for ten years; actually, he's only been "taking" her - for her money. Materials specified for one job seemed somehow to migrate over to his pad and get used to make HIS space cooler. I don't know where to begin, in cataloging all his vile behavior. Now, told to vacate, he's making it as long, drawn-out and bitter a process as he is capable of doing. He is a petty, vindictive shit, a lump of "human" excrement.

So, as he has also begun headgames, I would like to ask all my MySpace buddies to do me a favor - call him as often as you feel you can afford and encourage him to vacate before things get really ugly. He will tell you he has nop money - this is a lie. He will tell you he has no place to go - this is also a lie. He will tell you he is the victim in this situation and he has done nothing wrong - again, lies-all-lies. His name is xxxxxxxx and his number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. No telling when you'll be able to reach him, so feel free to call as early or as late as is convenient for you. As far as I know, it is not against the law to annoy the living shit out of someone. And hey - I'd do it for you, if it were YOUR mom... (NAME AND PHONE NUMBER REMOVED - Ed.)>

Despicably Yours,
Doc

PS - Harlan, congratulations on the Grand Master! I always knew you were, but it's nice to see some confirmation... Viz. the above - I tried nice; I tried firm; I tried loud. Now it's time for (as you once put it) "the H bomb". I'm back in L.A. Wednesday night, I'll call you Thursday...

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”