Pavilion Digest: April 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

steveperry

Welcome to the world Stephen Philip Perry

Postby steveperry » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:22 am

Name: Stephen
Source: unca20060606.htm
Christine's water broke at 12:08am on April 29th, 2006. General panic ensued by the womenfolk, which was subdued by my calm command of the situation. We got Debra into shoes, brought the bags into the minivan, dropped Debra off with Christine's mom, and I sped up to Bryn Mawr hospital. On the way, lights all turned green for me, except for the one in front of the hospital where the 2 cops were talking in their cruisers. Amazing, eh? 12 minutes to get there, including 3 contractions. At the hospital, no valet parking which was very inconvenient. Grabbed the bags and the wife, broke into the hospital (note to self: remember to fix door for them and remind them that women go into labor after 8pm), got her up to the 1st floor maternity/delivery room, let the nurse get things squared away with the room, ran back down to the running car, explained to the police officer that my wife's contractions were 4 minutes apart when I brought her in and that I had no idea what happened to the door, then moved the minivan into the parking garage. Amazing how many open spots there are on the first floor of the garage at 12:25am. Ran back up to the maternity ward, saw that Christine was in the bed and hooked to the monitors. Had to endure her trying to crush my hand while the IV was inserted. Thought I was getting out of that one while I parked the car. Christine is dialated 3cm and the baby isnt very far into the birth canal so this may be a while. I will write more when I am actually awake and have some idea what I am typing.

... time marches on ...

Stephen Philip Perry was born at 10:11am in Bryn Mawr Hospital, maternity ward, room 7. Mom and baby are both doing fine. Dad is sleep deprived and delusional. And typing this. Many pictures, including one that moves, are forthcoming. They are cleaning Stephen up right now and doing the circumcision. He had his vitamin K shot, and didn't protest for more than 7 seconds.

To continue the story from last night:
It was a dark and clear night, the moon full in the sky. The nurses were all very nice, but the delivery room didnt have a minibar or a large screen plasma TV. What kinda hotel is this anyways? I stayed up playing online poker all night, won far more than I lost, despite having to hold Christine as I walked her around the room and around the corridors to help get the baby to drop further. Contractions became 3 minutes apart, and stronger. We returned to the room, and the nurses called the doctor to do the epidural and give her pain meds. They helped a little, after much grinding and knashing of teeth while the doc did his thing. My fingers recovered after only an hour. Christine laid down and slept for a couple hours from 4:30am until 6:30am. The petosin was added at 7am. The baby decided it was time to drop into the birth canal. Or so Christine thought. False alarm, just the drugs wearing off. "Up the dosage!" she screamed, or words to that effect. Hard to tell when your broken hand is being crushed again and you're blinded by the pain. So we stayed up and worked through more and more contractions until about 9:30am, when Christine cried out "I can't take it any more, the pain is too much!! Get the doctor!!!" The nurse called him up and in the short amount of forever that it took for him to get there Christine had 4 more massive contractions, cursing me and every man who ever lived. Breathe honey, just breathe. The doctor came in, calm cool and collected, and in the most professional and soothing manner proceeded to get my wife's legs up in the air while the nurse and I held them up and apart. Breathe. PUSH! nothing. PUSH!! we see the head. PUSH!!! "Oh God I can't do this!" she screamed. at this point, I can't feel my hand from the squeezing. Keep breathing honey, you're doing great champ. PUSH!! The head is out. "One more big push, bring your baby into the world," the doctor says. PUSH!!!! nothing. The doctor turns the head and shoulders 180 degrees. PUUUUUSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!! and Stephen Philip Perry comes out into the world, kicking and wiggling. (Wiggles? Oh God, not that again!) A few quick syphons and he lets everyone know his lungs work. A small amount of wrapping and up he goes onto mom's chest while the doctor sews things up down there. The little eh-peez-e-otomy he did didn't need much repair work, but was accompanied by a large amount of complaining and further breaking of my hand. Even the pain numbing shots weren't pleasant enough, there is just no pleasing some women.

Stephen Philip Perry. 21", 8 lbs, 10.4 oz. Red hair, blue eyes (as always), pale skin, looks like both of his great-grandfathers on his dad's side. Very active and not a crier. I gave him his first kiss at 10:14am after they pronounced him officially healthy and ready to take on the world. I got to hold him and walk around the room with him for 30 minutes and then mom got to hold him until they took him up for his cleaning and other minor procedures.

Mom is in a new bed now, and we are moving to a new room. Room 2014. Phone number 610-526-8257. The cell phones also work here.

Debra is with Christine's mom, went to swim class this morning, went off the diving board, and had lots of fun. She is eating some pretzel and will be by to visit later today with Christine's folks.

Hope you are all well, send lots of letters so mom and dad have something to do for the next 2 days.

---
a very proud new again daddy, Stephen Perry

Steve Evil

On two utterly different topics. . .

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:32 am

Name: Steve Evil
Well let's hear it for the new Perry! Congratulations of the highest order.

Unca Harlan: You go bitch slap that mother fucker. Too many assholes get away unpunished nowadays.

Elijah Newton

Postby Elijah Newton » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:49 am

Name: Elijah Newton
Congratulations on an' salutations to the wee Perry!

My wife and I are just two months in, it's been a blast and a half. My only caution to you? Get sleep when you can, man. Inasmuch as you can stand it, nap when the baby naps. :)

Appears to be blank

Postby Appears to be blank » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:33 am

Name: Appears to be blank
Jim Davis is the voice of reason in a chorus of idiocy, as usual. Ever occur to you guys that Mr. Priest might cold-cock Harlan this time, or get the better of the fight? Then what? Not as much fun if you lose, and I bet dollars to donuts we wouldn't hear a peep about it here in that case. And if his fans cheered him on and crowed about the beat-down, you'd say they were assholes, wouldn't you? Hmmmm.

If you really cared about him, you wouldn't egg HE on to get into a fight, hit someone and potentially get arrested and sued. He's what, 70 years old now? Time to stop acting like a schoolyard tough and have a little dignity.

What a waste of energy, nursing old grudges. Gives your enemy a hell of a lot of power over you, too, which is exactly not what you want. Listen to Uncle Jim, seriously.

JosephFinn

Postby JosephFinn » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:00 am

Name: Joseph J. Finn
Congratulations, Stephen!

Kevin Avery

Postby Kevin Avery » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:05 am

Name: Kevin Avery
This whole "Should Harlan punch Priest?" discussion is right up there with "If Superman fought Jesus, who would win?" For a site that so often rails against the idiocy of the Internet, isn't it ironic how often we succumb to it ourselves?

Joe L.

Postby Joe L. » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:25 am

Name: Joe L.
PRIEST ELLISON ACKERMAN BRADBURY

A World-Con panel to top all panels.

For God's sake make it happen!!

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

WEBDERLANDERS : ONE HARLAN : ZERO

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:57 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Okay, all right already.

Enough.

You may look upon this as an Internet First, but the lot of you (and that means you, too, Kristin, so stop accepting blame where none is due, relax, take it easy) have turned me around.

I do ACCEPT your stringencies. You have made your point(s). Even though I cannot, and will not, forgive Priest for what he caused NOT to happen, back just before Jim Blish died, you have made your collective point. You have won for Christopher Priest a free pass.

I will go out of my way to make sure I do NOT run into him at LACon; and should that pass-crossing happen by chance, you have my word I will turn and walk the other way. Further, you have my word that should he seek me out with intent to speak or scramble, I shall walk away and say nothing. Under no circumstance will I swing on him.

You've had your say, and you'll have your way.

Now, leave me alone.

Respectfully, Harlan Ellison

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

WEBDERLANDERS : ONE / HARLAN : ZERO

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:57 am

Okay, all right already.

Enough.

You may look upon this as an Internet First, but the lot of you (and that means you, too, Kristin, so stop accepting blame where none is due, relax, take it easy) have turned me around.

I do ACCEPT your stringencies. You have made your point(s). Even though I cannot, and will not, forgive Priest for what he caused NOT to happen, back just before Jim Blish died, you have made your collective point. You have won for Christopher Priest a free pass.

I will go out of my way to make sure I do NOT run into him at LACon; and should that pass-crossing happen by chance, you have my word I will turn and walk the other way. Further, you have my word that should he seek me out with intent to speak or scramble, I shall walk away and say nothing. Under no circumstance will I swing on him.

You've had your say, and you'll have your way.

Now, leave me alone.

Respectfully, Harlan Ellison

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

WELCOME , WEE PERRY

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:59 am

Congratulations Christine and Steve!!

Unca Harlan

Duane

What Protest??

Postby Duane » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:05 pm

Name: Duane
A glance out my 3rd story window reveals a whole line of backpack wearing scruffy looking fellows and fellowettes walking down Santa Monica Blvd toward the beach. Gee, I wonder what's going on.

Kristin said: "Duane: I figure you for a pretty sane person, and I've acquired a BAD name now on the Forum. Your objecting to my "voice" really hit hard."

For the life of me, I do not recall insulting you in any way. The last thing I posted over on the other board was an agreement with you that the badastronomy.com website was a pretty nifty place to browse. Did I mistype? A glance back at the thread doesn't reveal any misstatements. Hence, I am puzzled. Please produce said offense and I will gladly apologize.

-- d

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:43 pm

Name: Eric Martin
>You have won for Christopher Priest a free pass.<

Harlan, it was never about Priest. Nobody here gives a rat's rump for that guy. It's you we care about.

Keeney

kristinkristinkristin

Postby Keeney » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:15 am

Name: Keeney
Harlan is right.

You ARE high maintenance.

But you must understand this: You're worth it.

Now chill.

Warmth,
Rick

Shane Shellenbarger

Congrats to the Perrys--Grand master of fabulism - Harlan El

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:45 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
Congratulations Christine,Steve, ans especially Stephen Philip Perry.

Lost in the recent hubbub,hullabaloo,and hurly-burly, I thought I'd repost the link to the article appearing in todays Arizona Republic about Harlan.

Grand master of fabulism
Kerry Lengel
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 28, 2006 04:14 PM

"As a groundbreaking science-fiction writer, Harlan Ellison has earned a place among such giants of the genre as Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov.

As a literary curmudgeon, he's in a class by himself." . . .

For more of this article go to:
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/arts/artic ... ula28.html

Site Admin

Before You Go...

Postby Moderator » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:10 am

Name: Steve Barber
Harlan -
Not sure what day or time you and Susan are headed across the border to AZ, but before you left I wanted to congratulate you and wish you well. Sadly, we can't be there in person to watch you officially become a GrandMaster (of which we've all -- your loyal following -- unofficially considered you for some time).

Your work speaks for itself, across the multiple media you have employed. Few other writers have been so fundamentally influential in the field(s) they have chosen -- or been chosen by. From television (Star Trek, B5, Twilight Zone); to short fiction (hundreds of stories in vastly different magazines and collections); to comics, graphic novels, and other artistic collaborations (Jacek Yerka, Mark Zug, Ken Steacy, Rick Berry and others [though you need to work a photographer in there somewhere, but I'm personally biased]); to radio (Hour 25) and recordings; to video games; and, of course, the wonderful editorial chores in works such as Medea, the DV books, and your own madcap collections. All of them a legacy you are adding to with each day, much to the world's benefit.

I know, I'm slobbering on myself. Pitiful, ain't it. But the truth is that each and every person you've attracted to the Pavilion, fanboy to ardent detractor, has been made to think and to act and to write. Roller Coaster doesn't even come close to describing the ride. But it's been fun to watch, and you ain't even close to being at the end of the tracks.

Enjoy this weekend to its fullest, it promises to be one for the ages. Then onto Comicon and LACon (in the OC). And in between, the Mrs and I hope to entice you into an evening of jazz and fun at our expense -- literally and figuratively.

And so, Mr. Ellison: Your words and work have made a difference, and they inevitably will continue to do so. Thank you.

Your imprint, like the ink from your typewriter, has proven indelible.

Steven A. Barber
Photographer, Telecommunications Expert, and Fanboy

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”