Pavilion Digest: March 2006

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20060316.htm
BRAD STEVENS:

I did, and he was magnificent. A dear little man with great tarsier eyes and a gentle manner. I watched him work the set an entire day as he shot the scene I had written for his silent cameo. (Silent: except for the "trapdoor" at the scene's ending.) Whatta delight he was! Thoroughly professional, accomplished, and charming beyond the telling of it. This was a grand moment in my early tv/film career and--as was the case with my meeting Gloria Swanson and Wally Cox and Janet Blair and John Ireland and Suzy Parker and Joan Blondell and a raft of others who LOVED my writings for them--it was some of the swellest times I ever had in a venue not known for its lambent sweetness or outgoing generosity.

I miss those times.

Yr. pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:21 pm

STEVE BARBER;

I've gone blank. "The recently recounted rude sorority girl story." Please refresh and recount me. Why don't I remember this?

Tell your most excellent wife that MY most excellent wife and I will be taking her (and you, if we must) to dinner at the Argentinian restaurant in the veeeeery near future.

Yr. pal, Harlan

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:30 pm

Name: Frank Church
It was refreshing to see a decent Oscars. I have to say that George Clooney's guilty liberal speech was really stupid and really naive. Yea, George, Hollyweird gave a sista an Oscar in 1939, for playing a maid...great liberal stretch of time later, and Halle Berry finally ends the historical jinx. Yea, those Hollyweird libs sure are giving.

Right Wing radio will be beating this to death, and rightly so.

----------

The same Hollyweird liberals give a music award to a bunch of backward rap hacks. Yea, never give Scorsese and Oscar, but we will annoint 3-6 Mafia the kings of movie music. The white liberals all smile, when they get their award. Al Sharpton was right to throw lightening bolts at this travesty, today.

I like rap, but shitttt.

------------

George Carlin's recent rap is so dark, so anarchistic, so amazing, the greatest single rant this guy will ever do. Anarchy and dark intent, at a world that deserves nothing better. This is the acid in the face, after a Chomsky speech.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:31 pm

Todd, leave DVG alone.

Eric, leave Benjamin Winfield alone.

Jim Davis, leave Eric and DVG alone.

You kids better not make me pull the car over and come back there.

Dad

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:45 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
You know, if Harlan Ellison were as primed to go off like nitroglycerin as often as legend alleges, his heart would have exploded years ago. How could he have lived so long?

Rumors. Ninety-eight percent bullshit, most of the time.

And Ben,

Hey, it happens. You need to simply clarify and then ignore. Remember: what are they going to do to you, type you to death? Even Harlan can't make you bleed from thousands of miles away, rumors notwithstanding.

Like water off a duck's back, baby.

Chuck

Site Admin

Harlan and the Sorority Girl (at his request)

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Name: Steve Barber
(No, Susan, not like that). Recounted, word for word.

"Steve Barber
- Wednesday, February 22 2006 9:7:40

Film Notes 101(Douglas H, thank you for pointing out Robert had included BLADE RUNNER on his list. My error, and props to Robert for including it.)

ANECDOTAL MEMORIES - THE FIRST TIME I MET HARLAN (made relevant by the topic of movies and such):

The first time I met Harlan Ellison was many years ago when I was an unsophisticated young whelp attending USC. Harlan was the guest speaker in Arthur Knight's "Sex in Cinema" class that afternoon. Harlan was doing his legendary college rant involving Dachau and the ignorance of college students, especially those taking film classes. As he spoke his eyes kept drifting to the back of the auditorium, after which he would glance at Arthur with a puzzled expression.

Finally, Arthur interrupted Harlan and began to chastise one of the other students for reading a newspaper instead of listening to the talk. Her response was (something to the effect of) "when he says something significant I'll listen", delivered with all the bravado and sneer only a college-level privileged-class blond twenty-something can muster, and she finished her response with a dramatic relifting of the paper to resume her reading.

They carried her out in a body bag, once we found all the parts.

Oddly enough, I don't remember the film shown that day, but I DO remember Harlan. "

Hope this replenishes the memories, though my college career was far longer ago than either of us care to admit.

And Cris cheerfully looks forward to dining with y'all and points out that "maybe, just maybe" the rain will abate, otherwise I may need to cower simperingly in the doorway, begging for handouts.

Yr Carparker,
Steve

Shelly

Postby Shelly » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Name: Shelly
Dear Dad,
Fell off my chair laughing at that email. That was great.
I promise to share my copy of "March Of The Penguins" to put in the SUV's DVD player for all the kids to watch while you drive. Because as far as I'm concerned, it was the best movie out of any of them anyway, and will keep us from fighting on the turnpike.
Plus, they accepted their awards carrying big stuffed penguins and made authentic sounding penguin noises in their speech. They were so cool.
The Good Child,
Shelly

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:42 am

Name: Todd Cassel
Speaking of the Penguin movie.....not having seen it, can someone advise whether this is a true-nature filmed movie or something staged? The same person filmed WINGED MIGRATION of which I heard a ton of good things, and when I watched it I found it quite fascinating in regard to how he got such good shots of the boids in flight.

Then I watched the DVD extras, and for the first time, such extras ruined a movie for me: I had no idea that the birds were raised as 'actors' for this film. These are not natural birds in migration: they are trained and ready for their close-up.

Though fascinating in it's own way, that saddened me and I gave away the DVD. The hubbub over the penguin movie would normally intrigue me, but not after the cheat of WINGED MIGRATION.

-TODD

Todd Cassel

Postby Todd Cassel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:50 am

Name: Todd Cassel
...and yes, I realize that many nature documentaries are 'staged'....but I'm talking about birds that were raised and trained to perform for the camera and allow small planes to come close to them while in flight. I don't mean the kind of staged where flies are tossed into a spider's web to watch it attack.

-TODD

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:30 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear Stephen:

Checking through our files, we don't have copies of:

ITALIAN:

BRIVIDI D'AVTORE
IL MEGLIO DI GALAXY 1
GALAXY #82
GALAXY #99

If you still have any of these books/magazines available, please let us know the price. We can talk money or trade.

With very kind regards--Susan

Peggy

March of the Penguins

Postby Peggy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:53 am

Name: Peg
Todd,

March of the Penguins was not "staged", the animals weren't trained nor am I aware that any part of the film was "set up". The 'making of" special on the DVD tells how the filmmakers spent a year in Antarctica and I think 9 months of that filming the penguins. I believe they were able to approach so closely because the penguins didn't see them as a threat. The documentary also discusses some captive penguins at the site who were their first test subjects for the underwater shots. (It wasn't clear to me if these were the only penguins they used to demonstrate the feeding behaviour).

It's a fantastic flick, highly suggest you see it. In addition to being a fascinating documentary, it also demonstrated to me more than most feature films how the right narrative and music really work to help make a film engaging.

Cheers
Peg

rich

Postby rich » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:07 am

Name: rich
Is there anyone HE doesn't know? I mean, besides Bill Cosby and, maybe, just maybe, Jesus Christ? (Though I've heard on the grapevine that HE does have His blood on his hands.)

And speaking of which, can't HE write an "Adventures in the Screen Trade"-type book? Wouldn't you guys like to see that? Anyone? I'd pay for that book. Of course, I also paid for The DaVinci Code, so what the fuck do I know?

David Loftus

staging is for the birds

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:19 am

Name: David Loftus
Todd:

Oddly enough, I've written at length about both films -- on DocumentaryFilms.net with regard to "Winged Migration":

http://www.documentaryfilms.net/Reviews ... Migration/

and I wrote a review of "March of the Penguins" for the same site, but the site owner was living in southern Mississippi and his apartment was destroyed by Katrina, so the only place my piece has appeared is on the good old Webderland board, here:

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/forum/ ... &start=885

I think your complaints are a little extreme, Todd. I was a little disappointed to learn about the "staging" of some of the "Winged Migration" sequences, too, but other than letting the cameras get close, the filmmakers were not making the birds behave differently from the way they actually would. The birds were doing pretty much everything they normally do. Everything that you see in "Winged Migration" actually happens, somewhere in the world, on a regular basis. So where's the lie in that?

There is far less "staging" of this sort in "March of the Penguins." The filmmakers simply didn't have the time or resources to "train" the birds the way they did with "Winged Migration." And they didn't need to; the penguins didn't perceive any threat from the humans and allowed them to get close naturally. What's more objectionable -- and it's hardly fatal, unless you're really sensitive about this sort of thing -- is the film's manipulation of human viewers, not the birds.

It's a gorgeous film, visually, in any case. Worth it just for that.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:23 am

Name: Eric Martin
>Is there anyone HE doesn't know?<

I'll take a stab: Britney Spears

DVG

Postby DVG » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:49 am

Name: DVG
People Harlan Ellison Probably Doesnt Know